Which MMO do you like and why? :)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Recently I've really got into playing Fallen Earth, a Free to play MMORPG set in a wasteland setting, kinda like a Multiplayer Fallout game. It's the only game I've ever ENJOYED GRINDING IN!

I would recommend it to anyone really it's that good, I got it like 5 days ago and have spent 41 hours on the thing already.

I want to know what other MMO games I might enjoy. So escapists please do tell of your experiences and suggest me some games ^^.

Preferably free games, I don't feel like draining my savings on monthly subscriptions to be honest hehe.

What do you like about Fallen Earth? People like it for a lot of different reasons. I enjoyed the vast world and the feeling of being able to ride for hours. Thats why I also have a soft spot for games like Darkfall and Wurm Online. Those are extremely grindy though, and Darkfall has a hard-core PvP aspect similar to Eve Online.

The elaborate crafting system reminds me a little about Eve Online. But Eve-O is a very different game in most ways.

The active, action oriented combat system has some things in common with Age of Conan, but the latter do it better I think. The upcoming Tera looks quite good in that respect too.

The Post Apocalyptic setting is one that I think is unique for FE, unless Fallout Online becomes reality.

Lotro has some things in common as well, particularly the way that story and setting melds into the MMO world.

...Tell me more about this Fallen Earth, it seems like fun.

Hmm, that's rather odd looking. Seems like it could be fun though. Granted the combat seems pretty boring, there's no real action to it but then that video I watched said the game was pay-to-play so it's a bit old. That was also at low level so maybe it gets better at higher levels.

Only MMO I'm playing at the moment is WoW but that may change when Guild Wars 2 comes out. There's also Firefall that I've been looking at. If I could run APB:R I may be trying that.

I love action MMOs but I haven't found one that could keep me entertained. DDO was fun but you had to run the same dungeons over and over and over and over and over with no alternative. DCUO was fun, until you hit level cap on someone then you had jack shit to do. TERA Online looks neat but I've been hearing a lot that it goes into typical Korean Grind MMO after a while.

lRookiel:
Recently I've really got into playing Fallen Earth, a Free to play MMORPG set in a wasteland setting, kinda like a Multiplayer Fallout game. It's the only game I've ever ENJOYED GRINDING IN!

same for me, although I havent played it in a while, thats the main reason why I like it.

I can only imagine what a pvp clan battle must be like on a large area.

I might as well write up a short description of Fallen Earth. Bear in mind it might be out of date since I haven't played for a long time, and the game went free to play in the meantime.

It's an open world MMO set in a post apocalyptic setting. Players play the role of clones that can't die but get resurrected in a lab when defeated.

The game features a very large world almost without any fast travel. I think it tries to recreate the Grand Canyon area in the US, I can't comment on how accurate this is done, because I've never been 'over there'. New characters get a free horse, probably to establish the point that you won't get anywhere foot. It is a very rubbish horse though and new players are encouraged to 'craft' one of their own at first opportunity. Later in the game players are able to create better mounts, motorcycles, buggies and even cars.

The game has a heavy focus on scavenging and crafting. Most items in the game can be crafted from bits and pieces found in the world. Crafting takes time to do in a passive way. To make something the player will need to have the materials in the inventory, then add it to a crafting queue and wait for it to finish. Simple recipes will be done in a few seconds, advanced ones may take days to complete. Players will usually add things to the crafting queue to cook while doing other things in the game, or just before logging off. In this way managing time and ressources becomes an important aspect.

Missions (quests) are fairly normal MMO design, but they integrate well into local stories and larger plots. The mission descriptions are quite good.

Combat and mob behaviour is often considered one of the weakest areas of the game. The game has FPS style combat using an aiming reticule. Attacks can be improved by the use of buffs and debuffs activated with keybinds or a quickbar. Mobs tend to suffer from some rubberband behaviour and sometimes have extremely fast respawn timers. I personally think the game has too many skills and abilities for the combat system, but I think that this is something the developers are aware about and try to prune.

The graphics are good looking, but not technically at a high quality. I personally love the style and the feel, but this may be a downside to some. The game is really good at establishing a survival feel. The player won't feel like a hero, more like a hobo trying to make his/her way in a destroyed world.

The community used to be one of the most friendly ones Ive seen in an MMO. This sometimes changes when games go F2P, but hopefully this is still as it used to be.

I have played several MMORPG's

I have played WoW for a long long time and because of that, I'm now sick of it.
It's not bad, it's just that everything gets boring after you do it too much.

That's also the reason I couldn't get into SW-TOR, it was too much like WoW, and it was too linear.

EVE-Online was awesome, but either you have to join a hard-ass corp, or just suck. Nothing was slightly solo-able that was meaningful to do.

So, a new game might be fun, and Fallen Earth sounds like it might be something I could enjoy.

Bostur:
I might as well write up a short description of Fallen Earth. Bear in mind it might be out of date since I haven't played for a long time, and the game went free to play in the meantime.

It's an open world MMO set in a post apocalyptic setting. Players play the role of clones that can't die but get resurrected in a lab when defeated.

The game features a very large world almost without any fast travel. I think it tries to recreate the Grand Canyon area in the US, I can't comment on how accurate this is done, because I've never been 'over there'. New characters get a free horse, probably to establish the point that you won't get anywhere foot. It is a very rubbish horse though and new players are encouraged to 'craft' one of their own at first opportunity. Later in the game players are able to create better mounts, motorcycles, buggies and even cars.

The game has a heavy focus on scavenging and crafting. Most items in the game can be crafted from bits and pieces found in the world. Crafting takes time to do in a passive way. To make something the player will need to have the materials in the inventory, then add it to a crafting queue and wait for it to finish. Simple recipes will be done in a few seconds, advanced ones may take days to complete. Players will usually add things to the crafting queue to cook while doing other things in the game, or just before logging off. In this way managing time and ressources becomes an important aspect.

Missions (quests) are fairly normal MMO design, but they integrate well into local stories and larger plots. The mission descriptions are quite good.

Combat and mob behaviour is often considered one of the weakest areas of the game. The game has FPS style combat using an aiming reticule. Attacks can be improved by the use of buffs and debuffs activated with keybinds or a quickbar. Mobs tend to suffer from some rubberband behaviour and sometimes have extremely fast respawn timers. I personally think the game has too many skills and abilities for the combat system, but I think that this is something the developers are aware about and try to prune.

The graphics are good looking, but not technically at a high quality. I personally love the style and the feel, but this may be a downside to some. The game is really good at establishing a survival feel. The player won't feel like a hero, more like a hobo trying to make his/her way in a destroyed world.

The community used to be one of the most friendly ones Ive seen in an MMO. This sometimes changes when games go F2P, but hopefully this is still as it used to be.

Damn, you got me interested now.
several questions;
1) Is there chance for solo play? AKA, if I got a few hours to kill on my own, can I?

2) how railroad is it? I mean, WoW had it's zones with levels, moving from hub to hub, while EVE was just open to anyone with increasing threats.

I quite enjoyed Global Agenda. You used to have to buy it but now it has gone free to play. It's a sci-fi MMO set in a future after WWIII. Most of humanity is ruled by an oppressive commonwealth known as the commonwealth, players assume the role of genetically engineered agents who have escaped and joined resistance forces.

The main hub is a dome city filled with other plays, shops, a VR arena for practice and other things. Im going to go on for a while now.
From the dome city you can buy equipment for your class which is selected at the start out of 4 possible classes. Assault for a heavily armoured character who can tank or do high damage with heavy weaponry such as missles and miniguns.
Recon for a stealthy character who can either snipe or turn invisible to get behind enemy lines.
Medic for a character who can heal allies and provide them with buffs or poisen enemies and debuff the crap out of them.
And finally my personal favorite Robotics who act as the support class with dangerous turrets, shield walls and buff stations or can be a force to be reckoned with by using deployable drones.

From the City you can choose to go on missions which are unlocked as you level up(doesn't take too long). You can play PvE missions in which you and 3 other agents(Other players) are sent on a raid to a commenwealth target, depending on which security level you took.
There is low security for brand new players, medium for still fairly new players and then high security for average players. Maximum security will provide a decent challenge for most and then for the best of the best there is Ultra max security which is pure evil and will devour your soul. Because it hates you. A lot.

After a certain level you can also enter PvP which is something around 8v8 I think. Not too sure but it's a decent amount maybe 10v10. There are multiple gamemodes but they are the standerd shooter gamemodes as this is a third person shooter, probably should have mentioned that earlier.

Now for the MMO part of this. A great way to start off is to leave dome city and go straight into the desert. This is a free roam open zone with other players, enemies constantly respawn and it has several quests for you to progress through. This is mainly a low level area as all the quests are low level.
Weapons and equipment is usaully looted from enemies or given in rewards for successfully completing commenwealth raids.
Although I haven't played the game since the patch that introduced it, they have added a high level free zone now which is apparently very fun and involes huge quests requiring about 30 people.

Back in dome city there is a VR arena which is pretty much just an arena you can jump into to fight other players for practice, it is completely unregulated and you just do whatever in there.
However the commonwealth laughs at your small raids and every hour or so they will raid dome city. When this happens the queue for raid defense opens up for a while. This takes a lot of people into a PvE enviroment. You must defend a generator that powers dome city from constant enemy attack. They come in waves untill eventully a completely overpowered boss appears to laugh at you.
Various classes must work together to defend the core untill said boss arrives and then kill him. This offers massive rewards and is a generally awesome gamemode.

One of my favorite parts of this game is the payment method. It is free to play however for a one time payment you get double XP and credits as well as access to more things and generally the full experience. It is also possible but completely unnessacary to buy a 80 day booster for more xp and such.

There is an entire part of the game I haven't mentioned yet called AvA(Agency vs Agency) but that will take me far too long to explain. It is pretty much WWIII between actual player made agencys who duke it out over territories. I haven't played it as you need a big agency who is good at the game and a huge amount of resources to buy the needed tools such as drop ships, droid armies etc.

I would recommend it to anybody who is looking for a free mmo, it's a lot of fun.

Having to toggle into "combat mode" before I could engage an enemy in Fallen Earth killed it for me mere minutes after loading up the trial client. I don't know if they've changed that since, but it was incredibly clumsy and awkward feeling. UI was generally terrible across the board.

Comparing it to a shooter is a little disingenuous, really. Shooters are virtually defined by their simple, friendly, intuitive interface that hasn't changed significantly in 20 years. Fallen Earth was almost aggressively counter intuitive.

Ranorak:

Damn, you got me interested now.
several questions;
1) Is there chance for solo play? AKA, if I got a few hours to kill on my own, can I?

2) how railroad is it? I mean, WoW had it's zones with levels, moving from hub to hub, while EVE was just open to anyone with increasing threats.

1) It's mostly solo. There are some group areas and instances designed for groups, but 90% of the game can be done solo. How hard it is does depend on your spec. It is possible to make builds that can be hard to solo, especially if you focus on crafting, but not impossible.
It's a very good game for a few hours of solo play.

2) It has hubs designed for specific levels, but there is a lot of freedom. There is usually quite a few alternative quest hubs to go for, and you are free to move on when you think you are ready for higher level stuff. In this way it's probably comparable to Vanilla WoW. Players who like to complete everything can easily get bogged down in the numerous quest hubs doing low level stuff, there is a lot to choose from.
It's also perfectly possible to simply grind mobs for XP, or get some XP through crafting. And some players probably prefer that.
So the game has directed missions that can guide you through various stories, but you are completely free to use them or not as you choose.

BloatedGuppy:
Having to toggle into "combat mode" before I could engage an enemy in Fallen Earth killed it for me mere minutes after loading up the trial client. I don't know if they've changed that since, but it was incredibly clumsy and awkward feeling. UI was generally terrible across the board.

Comparing it to a shooter is a little disingenuous, really. Shooters are virtually defined by their simple, friendly, intuitive interface that hasn't changed significantly in 20 years. Fallen Earth was almost aggressively counter intuitive.

Yeah a very valid critique. The UI and general combat mechanics are not very good. And it certainly doesn't have the fluid feeling of single player shooters.

Guild Wars has been my MMO for quite a long while. I just love how unique it feels compared to other MMOs I've played. It also had a nice community, back in the day, from what I experienced.

Currently the only MMO I play at the moment is LoTRO.
Because it's Lord of The Rings. 'Nuff said.

I played Final Fantasy XI (also known as the forgotten Final Fantasy) for about seven years. I loved it. I loved the characters and NPCs, I loved the community, I loved the missions and stories, and I enjoyed the battle system. Admittedly it does have quite a learning curve, and the grinding is pretty excessive even by MMO standards, but Square has done quite a bit in the last few years to ease that burden. The grid was also made worth it by the stories you unlocked, which were much more sophisticated and with characters much more fleshed out than I've ever seen in similar MMOs.

I also loved the looks and aesthetics of the game, and in my opinion looks much better than WoW and always has. The style is a little more anime than WoW, but not overbearingly so. It sort of remains in that close-to-real-but-still-stylized-to-stay-out-of-the-uncanny-valley zone Final Fantasy has been sticking to since FFX. The coloring is also pretty and consistent and actually makes sense, unlike WoW which to me feels like walking into some sort of low-poly bizzaro world made of neon felt.

I really don't like MMO's, like at all. BUT there is one i find interesting, Tera Online. The combat is really awesome. it's like an action RPG. you have to aim your attacks and dodge enemy attakcs. I don't know if I'm going to play it though, never been into MMO's :(

I've been playing Star Trek Online. It's alright I guess, but there are a few things that bug me aside from most of the missions just being variations of go to system-> battle enemy-> beam down to planet/station/ship-> shoot some guys-> beam back to ship-> battle some more enemies-> repeat. Mostly what bugs me is that, for being F2P, they seem to be being real dicks about it. For one thing they recently added in these Cardassian Lock Boxes which are supposed to contain special bonuses however the only why to open them is with special keys that are only available through the store and cost real money. That wouldn't be so bad except the enemies drop these things like candy from a Piņata so I've got over 40 of these things and can't afford to get the keys to open them. Also I'm given a ridiculously small number of bridge officer slots and again it costs real money to get more, but the game keeps rewarding me with more bridge officer candidates which I can't use because all my slots are full.

I'm not sure if the following qualifies as a true "MMO," but the developer likes to claim it is:

I'm a fan of World of Tanks. I think a big draw for me is that it's not a huge time-sink like most other MMO's. You can jump into matchmaking and finish three or four rounds in the same amount of time that it would take to organize a raid in WoW. I also like how you can progress through the game at your leisure. I spend most of my time in low tier matches with my tin can starter tanks, as the stakes are lower and everyone pretty much has a fighting chance. Rather than obsessing over getting enough credits and XP for unlocking the next tank, I just have fun with the basic gameplay.

I used to like Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine because I like MegaTen, I was enjoying the story in it, I had a lot of friends in my clan who played, and that was that.

However, one fateful day they basically patched it so that the game wasn't any fun for players of a high level. Money and experience points were both incredibly hampered.

Of course the game is actually going from Aeria to Atlus now, so provided I get to keep my character, I may try playing again to see what I've missed since I stopped playing.

Star Trek Online.
Free to play, half the time your doing space-ship stuff (space-combat) which is the fun. Variation of ship/captain or skills can sit still and press one button and expect to win against anything.
There's a tactical component to what and when you use skills.

The three styles of DPS, Tank and Medic are well balanced that each have the opportunity and capability to take damage, deal damage and buff/debuff.

Star Trek Online.

Nameable spaceships are brilliant.

1.) Im a Trekkie.
2.) Freindly to those who don't want to pay IRL money
3.) SPACESHIPS

Fallen Earth was pretty fun, I enjoyed the verisimilitude it brought to the table... things like mounts staying where ya left 'em, crafting recipes really making sense with their ingredients, the sheer size of the game world...
but for me, it fell flat with the combat system. FPS/TPS gameplay just didn't translate well to standard hotbar-MMO fare, especially not with ammo crafting in the state it was when last I played. More challenging mobs took the pretty standard route of "more hp, more varied attacks"... which is a real pain in the ass when you're making ammo from scratch in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Add latency-teleportation to the mix (and man, that game server lagged badly) in a game with shooter mechanics, and you wind up with a lot of wasted ammo.

Personally, I'm enjoying a bit of SWTOR, completed one story of my KotOR3 experience, working on the other 7... and I still go back and play City of Heroes/Villains once in awhile for what is still, in my opinion, the best-designed hotbar-MMO combat system to date.

Guild wars has to be my fav, i like rpg with story and Guild Wars didn't mess around with it. WOW bored the crap out of me, i did nothing but grind for two weeks without any story focus or anything. City of Heroes/villians was pretty awesome but couldn't afford to continue playing.

Does World of Tanks count? Cause I'm very addicted to that game.

I'm digging City of Heroes right now.
Pros:
- Many superpowers
- Many play styles
- Millions of costume combinations
Cons:
- Somewhat outdated graphics
- Some powers restricted to paying customers only
- Combat is pretty... meh. Not bad, but could be better.

EDIT: Because ninjas are still quicker than me!

Dungeons and Dragons Online
This game is absolutely wonderful because it does so many things right and differently from the general trend of mmos. Yes it uses the hotkey method like every other mmo and their dog, however it also touches the somewhat less commonly used hack-n-slash via mouse clicks as enemies do not stand in one place. When using ranged weapons/attacks it kind of turns into a 1st/3rd person shooter to a small degree in that you fire it off in the direction you are pointing unless you are targeting them already(override autolock optional).
What I love most about the game though is the way they crafted the enviorment.

Firstly its made with 3 dimensions in mind. Jumping, swimming, and climbing are all used to break up the monotony found in many other MMOs where you are essentially glued to the ground with jumping being there just to create the illusion of 3d movement, and can only break away via flying that is essentially limited No-cliping. They have no problem with putting a switch at the top of a room over a pit of acid with the only way to reach it being to navigate a series of suspended pipes and such that you can fall off of. Or they might obscure a switch behind a tapestry and you must be observant enough to locate it since you can just sweep the room with your mouse. You might swim down through a watery passage to access a otherwise hidden area or alternative route. And this without considering the potential for traps...(or on that later)

Secondly, They finally make a rogue class feel like a rogue. In this game they do more than just DPS, they are one of the two classes that can actually disarm traps (though they are far better at it) which can be found in many places which pose a Serious threat to your party. If you are not careful those traps WILL wipe your party unless they are disarmed. They also tend to be the most gymnastic and best equipped (stat wise) to handle any tricky traps that involve careful movement. They may not be as flashy as rogue like classes in other games, but this rogue actually embraces what it means to be a rogue beyond sneak+stab&stab. I should also mention that the other classes are also very interesting to play as (my favorite is the artificer).

Thirdly, Teamwork is more than just Tank,DPS,Healbot. Some classes like the rogue are needed in order to complete quests due to traps, other times you need to split up and have the two groups deal with different things at the same time (one might have to solve a physical puzzle while the other has to fend off bad guys. Or someone might be needed because they have a high Diplomacy skill and they are the only way you can access someone without resorting to brute force.

Fourthly is the setting itself. I love the Eberron setting to death and this game creates a nice representation of it. It is a perfect one, no. Is it the one I imagined, no. But it is a nicely made one with a healthy respect for the source material (both eberron and D&D).

Finally (for this post anyway), I love how no piece of content is entirely out of the players reach. As a FTP model, some content is freely available to all, while others must be unlocked via micro transactions. This include a number of adventure packs, several classes, races, boosters (to speed your progress but not over power you), and other little tid-bits. While they are straight up free, they can be obtained by someone without spending so much as a penny. Simply by playing the game you get reputation and with reputation you get free turbine points at set amounts. With those points you can buy anything in the DDOStore. While you can only get so many free points from a given realm, you can play on another realm to get more points since Points and most purchases carry over from realm to realm. You also can unlock some material simply as part of earning reputation, though that method only unlocks on that server. In short you get what you give and with a little extra.

There is a lot more about the game i like, but these are the more dominant things i can think of.

Also, Guild owned Airships!

Well Ive liked quite a few of them.

Star wars: The old republic: Right now Im playing SWTOR and I love it because the story and voice over suck me in and keep me wanting to see what will happen next. I still think the imperial agents the best story though (but I havnt played them all yet either)

Warhammer: Age of reckoning: I really enjoyed the World PVP of warhammer, I havnt really played a game that did it better with keeps and objectives to raid. Then there were the cities which had mixed results but were still really fun. Colission detection also made PVP awesome, there wasnt any of that nonsense where a bunch of rogues could walk through a shield wall of battle hardened warriors

Tabula Rasa: Its the only game Ive ever played where I really felt like the world was on the precipice of apocalyptic danger. Some classes were laughable in their horriblness (read: sniper) but overall I really loved that game

City of heros/villains: Its IMO the best superhero themed MMO to date. Problem is the free to play model is about as terrible as terrible can be. Still the game gives great challenge and can be fun for the casual player or that person who wants to play a really complex game at a challenging skill level. Plus the character creator is about as awesome as awesome can be

Those are the ones I think of off the top of my head

EvE-Online. The single best and most challenging MMO I have played. Entirely non-instanced and based around PvP on every scale. From solo to massive wars, market conflicts, resource wars. It's all there.

Ranorak:
EVE-Online was awesome, but either you have to join a hard-ass corp, or just suck. Nothing was slightly solo-able that was meaningful to do.

^This is just untrue. I've been a solo pilot for the past 4 years and thrive on it. No, I'm not as well-off as someone who constantly works with others, but that's entirely fair. People should have an advantage for working together in a necessarily multiplayer game.

Well time to put the firelighter into this discussion of MMO games...

Runescape.

I do still play it today. Im mostly past the sheer grindy-ness that puts most people off the game in the first place and with it enjoying better support than every other MMO i know of i could happily waste at least a dozen hours a week playing it.

But of course, i treat it like having an MRE[1] in my pantry. Only for when youre sick of absolutely everything else. Which i am.

[1] For those who dont know, its stands for Meal Ready to Eat, theyre the standard US Army rations.

Mr Cwtchy:
Currently the only MMO I play at the moment is LoTRO.
Because it's Lord of The Rings. 'Nuff said.

This.

I have played Lotro off and on for about a year and a half now. It was actually my first mmo. And the main thing that drew me to it was that it is Lord of the Rings. Been a fan of the books and movies for years, and always wanted to roam Middle Earth. I have tried DCU and WoW and didn't really like either of them. Lotro is the only mmo so far that I like the graphics, game play, and people who play the game. Though at lvl cap, if you don't spend like every waking hour playing the game there is no way to have all of the best gear and crap. So I have had to just come to terms that I can't be as well geared as people who apparently don't have lives.

I like Champions Online. Partly because I just like superheroes, but here's some points I think are in it's favour:
1. It's free to play but you don't have to buy anything to do well in the game, you can spend as much or as little as you want on the features you want.
2.The missions vary in length, you can spend a lot of time doing one big mission or lots of smaller ones, or just spend a quarter of an hour playing when you feel like it.
3. Lots of variety in character creation, there's really a lot of options, feels more like your own character.
4. It runs really well with WINE on Ubuntu.

I realise number 4 will not apply to the vast majority of people, but it's still a point in the game's favour.

Damien Black:
EvE-Online. The single best and most challenging MMO I have played. Entirely non-instanced and based around PvP on every scale. From solo to massive wars, market conflicts, resource wars. It's all there.

Ranorak:

^This is just untrue. I've been a solo pilot for the past 4 years and thrive on it. No, I'm not as well-off as someone who constantly works with others, but that's entirely fair. People should have an advantage for working together in a necessarily multiplayer game.

Really, Can I ask what your usual income was made from?
Cause as far as I tried, I couldn't make anything worthwhile.

Windcaler:
SNIP

City of heros/villains: Its IMO the best superhero themed MMO to date. Problem is the free to play model is about as terrible as terrible can be. Still the game gives great challenge and can be fun for the casual player or that person who wants to play a really complex game at a challenging skill level. Plus the character creator is about as awesome as awesome can be

Those are the ones I think of off the top of my head

Have you tried Champions Online? Made by the same people as City of Heroes and they left out all the little things that annoyed me about CoH. In my opinion CO's the better game.

Just wait a bit for Guild Wars 2 to come out :)

No subscription fee, orgasm-inducing epicness.

I've tried pretty much every MMO ever conceived, but nothing has really wowed me since Allods Online. (It's crap now that it's pay to win though, don't bother)

The last MMO I played was Rift, which burnt me out hard core since me and my guild alpha tested it for 9 months, then beta then release, god was I sick of MMOs after that. I've pretty much only missed out on SW:ToR, but I hate the Star Wars universe anyway and the game was received pretty badly and is now dead.

I casually play Age of Conan from time to time, which come to think of it, ironically is the longest "stayer" for me. Mostly due to the best-in-the-world endgame dungeons and raids, noone are better than Funcom's current devs at designing scripted fights.

Right now, I'm waiting for this:

It's funny, I've played all sorts of MMOs since forever, seen all the hype and dissappointment, and I've become cynical a looooong time ago, never getting hyped anymore.

But this. The Secret World. Boy does that concept set my pants on fire.

It's like X-files vs. Cthulhu vs. Indiana Jones. All neatly packed in an ocean of conspiracy theories and a masterfully voice acted and scripted story. On top of it all, it's finally a game with 3 faction PvP!

GW2 will have multifaction PvP as well, but I honestly can't drag my brain through another emotional wasteland of elves and dwarves and colourful lands and static NPCs puking text boxes. Only to have the damn game end after a mere 40 hours of levels to constantly repeat the same things for evermore with no patches. (Guild Wars calls their patches expansions, and charge for them)

mechman123:
Dungeons and Dragons Online
This game is absolutely wonderful because it does so many things right and differently from the general trend of mmos. Yes it uses the hotkey method like every other mmo and their dog, however it also touches the somewhat less commonly used hack-n-slash via mouse clicks as enemies do not stand in one place. When using ranged weapons/attacks it kind of turns into a 1st/3rd person shooter to a small degree in that you fire it off in the direction you are pointing unless you are targeting them already(override autolock optional).
What I love most about the game though is the way they crafted the enviorment.

Firstly its made with 3 dimensions in mind. Jumping, swimming, and climbing are all used to break up the monotony found in many other MMOs where you are essentially glued to the ground with jumping being there just to create the illusion of 3d movement, and can only break away via flying that is essentially limited No-cliping. They have no problem with putting a switch at the top of a room over a pit of acid with the only way to reach it being to navigate a series of suspended pipes and such that you can fall off of. Or they might obscure a switch behind a tapestry and you must be observant enough to locate it since you can just sweep the room with your mouse. You might swim down through a watery passage to access a otherwise hidden area or alternative route. And this without considering the potential for traps...(or on that later)

Secondly, They finally make a rogue class feel like a rogue. In this game they do more than just DPS, they are one of the two classes that can actually disarm traps (though they are far better at it) which can be found in many places which pose a Serious threat to your party. If you are not careful those traps WILL wipe your party unless they are disarmed. They also tend to be the most gymnastic and best equipped (stat wise) to handle any tricky traps that involve careful movement. They may not be as flashy as rogue like classes in other games, but this rogue actually embraces what it means to be a rogue beyond sneak+stab&stab. I should also mention that the other classes are also very interesting to play as (my favorite is the artificer).

Thirdly, Teamwork is more than just Tank,DPS,Healbot. Some classes like the rogue are needed in order to complete quests due to traps, other times you need to split up and have the two groups deal with different things at the same time (one might have to solve a physical puzzle while the other has to fend off bad guys. Or someone might be needed because they have a high Diplomacy skill and they are the only way you can access someone without resorting to brute force.

Fourthly is the setting itself. I love the Eberron setting to death and this game creates a nice representation of it. It is a perfect one, no. Is it the one I imagined, no. But it is a nicely made one with a healthy respect for the source material (both eberron and D&D).

Finally (for this post anyway), I love how no piece of content is entirely out of the players reach. As a FTP model, some content is freely available to all, while others must be unlocked via micro transactions. This include a number of adventure packs, several classes, races, boosters (to speed your progress but not over power you), and other little tid-bits. While they are straight up free, they can be obtained by someone without spending so much as a penny. Simply by playing the game you get reputation and with reputation you get free turbine points at set amounts. With those points you can buy anything in the DDOStore. While you can only get so many free points from a given realm, you can play on another realm to get more points since Points and most purchases carry over from realm to realm. You also can unlock some material simply as part of earning reputation, though that method only unlocks on that server. In short you get what you give and with a little extra.

There is a lot more about the game i like, but these are the more dominant things i can think of.

Also, Guild owned Airships!

Agreed. I've played a few MMO games, this one has kept me for a lot longer than any other.

Karnasis, Ghallanda - Main toon

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked