Which MMO do you like and why? :)

Pages PREV 1 2

lineage 2 c4 - interlude era (Freya still good but Goddess of Destruction is absolute watered downed shit). C4 - interlude era was epic not like weak sauce casual WoW, l2 was truly hardcore where if you don't work your ass off for your shit you will achieve nothing and will be a equivalent of a hobo. i spent 5 years on that game before leaving and loved every second of it.

now i play casual SWTOR because i couldn't be bothered to invest time in to something more hardcore.

I'm not really playing any mmos atm due to a lack of free time, but when I do have an abundance of time, there are a few choice mmos that I like to play.
1) Latale: A 2D side scrolling fantasy mmorpg with fun gameplay, an abundance of unique classes, and in my opinion, great graphics, as well as a large amount of character customization. If you need a visual, then think of maplestory, except with higher quality sprites.
2)Brawl Busters: A fun fast paced 3D all-out PVP fighting game with some pretty damn unique classes (guitar player and firefighter just to name a few) cool cartooney looking graphics that sort of remind me of Team Fortress 2 and of course, some co-op boss fights.2)
3)Dragon Nest: A 3D fantasy MMORPG with some kick-ass real-time gameplay (no point and clicking here) pretty good looking graphics, good story, with some cutscenes that even have some voice acting which I thought was pretty damn cool. There is a lack of character customization though and gender locked classes which is kind of lame though.
4)Dofus: Sort of reminds me of Disgaea, so I enjoyed playing that for a while to get my Disgaea fix while I was waiting for Disgaea 4.

Iīve tried a few MMOs here and there, but the only one that actually stuck on me was Dungeons and Dragons Online: Ebberon Unleashed. Or something like that. But yeah, clocked almost 500 hours of playtime on it, and for me, that`s a lot. And i enjoyed most of the time playing it, since I liked to play D&D before playing it. I started playing it when it turned F2P. Tho a shame that it got really grind-ish after level 12 or so, if you didinīt want to spend a dime of real money. But level 20 is the max (or at least was when i stopped playing), but i read something about a level cap of 25 recently...might be wrong. And it takes quite a bit of time to get to the max cap.
But i did enjoy it. And if you play D&D, you`ll find yourself pretty damn familiar to the rules, and it gives you quite the edge. But of course, it`s not a 1:1 copy of D&D. But it was close enough for me.
But Iīm thankful I stopped playing, it took way too much time. MMOs tend to be like that.

I am currently playing SWTOR. Why? I am a big time casual these days. I wouldn't recommend the game to folks who want to play 40+ hours a week. But it is one of the better MMOs out right now IMO.

Metalhandkerchief:

GW2 will have multifaction PvP as well, but I honestly can't drag my brain through another emotional wasteland of elves and dwarves and colourful lands and static NPCs puking text boxes. Only to have the damn game end after a mere 40 hours of levels to constantly repeat the same things for evermore with no patches. (Guild Wars calls their patches expansions, and charge for them)

That's because they are expansions and stand alone. You also don't have to pay per month and they have released a fair amount of "free" content over the years and are continuing to do so.

OriginalLadders:
]

Have you tried Champions Online? Made by the same people as City of Heroes and they left out all the little things that annoyed me about CoH. In my opinion CO's the better game.

'i hope you plan to elaborate' - my Sith on ToR

OT:

currently playing ToR
i like the story focus, worlds, and space missions, could use more options in the character creator though.

also enjoyed
Dungeon Fighter Online - 2d beat em up, nice spread for classes, but could stand a few more free options far as character customization goes

Vindictus - there's a lot of good idea's here, namely the combat, its also very pretty for a pure F2P game, how ever, its not really being handled well imo

DC Universe - super hero game, with good combat and story's, until you hit the level cap, then i hope you like running raids, cause that all there is at lvl 30

City of Heroes/Villains - my first MMO, love the character customization, love the story arcs, combat is pretty meh, but its a big city, or city's and islands, and the lore is rich and worth looking into

Requiem - dark setting, and, blood, XD shallow yes, but i liked that monster came apart on the killing blow

DDO - its really fun if you have friends, so long as you can stand killing kobolds for ever -.-

Perfect World - its really pretty o.o also, the Vemomancer class made it fun for longer then it should have been seeing as every quest is/was kill x of y

Forsaken World - also, pretty, better quest diversity and over all better story the PW (Perfect World Entertainment is good about making their games look good btw)

War of the Immortals - story and the Dualist class, other wise its like every other hot key MMO (also, its from PWE, so, ya know, pretty)

Free, eh?
Well, I played a damn lot of LOTRO on and off since 2008. Been extremely active since 2010, and it's a great game. The atmosphere is amazing and the community is the most mature and friendly I've ever encountered in an MMO.
It's F2P these days, but you'd want to buy one month of playtime to unlock all the premium stuff. Once you've gotten them they'll never disappear from your existing characters, though you still have to purchase the quest packs past level 30. It's possible to get everything for free however, if you can be arsed to grind your ass off doing deeds in the starting areas. When the game went F2P I had so damn much accumilated from my old characters that I never had to buy a month again.

Currently I play Rift. Second time I return to the game since it launched and I love it more every time. Still a subscription based game, but it's definetly worth it imo. Tons of intresting classes and lots of things to do when you hit max level(which LOTRO is a bit more lacking on).
The downside is that a lot of the players come from WoW, so the majority of them are rude and retarded as fuck.

Captcha: "Describe Walmart with any word(s)" ._.
I went with wtf.

Ranorak:

Really, Can I ask what your usual income was made from?
Cause as far as I tried, I couldn't make anything worthwhile.

Market trading, Pirating, and High-Sec solo-corp wars primarily. Noobs and the overconfident are very quick to underestimate one pirate with a complex knowledge of aggro mechanics and ship counters.

Kitsuna10060:

OriginalLadders:
Have you tried Champions Online? Made by the same people as City of Heroes and they left out all the little things that annoyed me about CoH. In my opinion CO's the better game.

'i hope you plan to elaborate' - my Sith on ToR

The character creation's every bit as good and most things are done in a similar style to CoH/V. But the three most improved aspects, in my opinion are; you get a travel power right after the tutorial, so you don't have to waste time walking between missions, they removed the debt system and replaced it with a system of little power-ups you get the longer you stay alive, a small change that one but it's the difference between punishing failure and rewarding success, and running out of energy in the middle of a fight doesn't mean you have to try and run away, you get a low damage power that build energy back up.

I have never played a free MMO that wasn't a total grind fest. So I have no free MMOs to recommend.

I have played Star Wars: Old Republic and I have to say its awesome. Its the first MMO that I have ever enjoyed the storyline and cared about random NPCs I've run into in the game. Its the first MMO that I have ever become attached to not just because of the wonderful players, but because of the wonderful world.

Well I played SWTOR but since Mass Effect 3 came out that's been put on hold a bit. :P

I haven't played an MMO in a while. I used to play several of the F2P MMO's like 2Moons or 9Dragons but I just can't handle the repetitive formula of, "do quests level up then move to an area with slightly more powerful enemies." Maybe it's because I never got into any sort of community within these games but I can't get into them anymore. At least in shooters you develop skills and become better. In MMO's your just getting stronger with perhaps a bit more strategy involved in when to and not to use an item, ability, or potion. Maybe I'll try a paid MMO one day If I have some friends playing as well but I'll stick with Battlefield 3 for now.

...there's an advertisement in my captcha...what is this world coming to!!?!?

Tbh I really liked one of the first mmos, ultima online, mainly because of how much freedom you had and because you could own real estate. :3

Damien Black:

Ranorak:

Really, Can I ask what your usual income was made from?
Cause as far as I tried, I couldn't make anything worthwhile.

Market trading, Pirating, and High-Sec solo-corp wars primarily. Noobs and the overconfident are very quick to underestimate one pirate with a complex knowledge of aggro mechanics and ship counters.

I always loved EVE, but I always felt so useless, so insignificant without a corp. The idea that you can succeed solo puts me in the mood to play again.

Still, wish I could convince one of my friends to play it with me :D.

gigastar:
Well time to put the firelighter into this discussion of MMO games...

Runescape.

I do still play it today. Im mostly past the sheer grindy-ness that puts most people off the game in the first place and with it enjoying better support than every other MMO i know of i could happily waste at least a dozen hours a week playing it.

But of course, i treat it like having an MRE[1] in my pantry. Only for when youre sick of absolutely everything else. Which i am.

Word. For. Word.[2]

Despite having a largely suck-ish community, the lighthearted yet in-depth atmosphere the devs try to construct is actually quite immersive. And though the petty nostalgic within me loathes some of the new updates, I find myself actually wanting to renew a bit of membership soon. Largely because my attraction to it is cyclical, and I'm nearing the zenith of my addiction again. Oh, and the fact that I need to check up on Miscellania, and that my 25,000 oak planks aren't going to grind through themselves. And it's cheaper and has more long-term appeal to me than any other MMO.

Given a month or so, I'll likely put it down again, but I've been playing it in on-and-off cycles for almost six years now. Hah! No other game has done that to me.

[1] For those who dont know, its stands for Meal Ready to Eat, they're the standard US Army rations.
[2] Figuratively speaking, of course.

I've been playing SWTOR since second round of beta. Great game, although Mass Effect has put that on hold. Had to finish my second play through of ME2 before I could even install ME3.

Also, I have heard rumors of a Mass Effect MMO...anyone able to substantiate that? I'm not sure how I would feel about another beloved Bioware franchise becoming an MMO.

I enjoyed GW1 a lot. With the focus on pvp and endless amount of combinations with the over 1000 skills just impressed me.

Needless to say, I am looking forward to GW2. Action combat, no hihgly generic quests and expanding on GW1 lore is fucking awesome!

OriginalLadders:

The character creation's every bit as good and most things are done in a similar style to CoH/V. But the three most improved aspects, in my opinion are; you get a travel power right after the tutorial, so you don't have to waste time walking between missions,

CoX has fixed this, you now can take travel power at level 4, not crap like hover, the actual Fly or Super Speed. also, i like CO character creator, (4 colors, different' gloves and shoulder if you want) but the options are to limited

they removed the debt system and replaced it with a system of little power-ups you get the longer you stay alive, a small change that one but it's the difference between punishing failure and rewarding success,

they fixed this to with the day job system, well sort, staying logged up build bonus XP, which speeds up leveling or, in case you get dropped, prevents debt from piling up at all

and running out of energy in the middle of a fight doesn't mean you have to try and run away, you get a low damage power that build energy back up.

?? i never had this problem in CO, every thing was dead before i ran out of energy :D,(i ran Darkness when i played) but yeah, :/ CoH still has this issue, though, not as bad as it used to be, they changed the fitness pool, you now get it, all of it, at level 2, automatically.

my issue with it is, a lack of powers, ironically. there's, or was, no melee option for elemental powers, which i think is stupid, and how little there was to do. case in point, after the tut and newb zone, you pretty much had to do both the desert and Canada to be ready for the first city missions, every freaking time. and the references .... felt like they where beating me over the head with em, i know the CoH crew are better writers then that.

i liked the combat though, but... seemed like every enemy was ranged, so i'd take more damage then i should just to get in striking distance (DCUO kinda has this problem in reverse, no real point in rolling a ranged character cause everything is melee)

lastly, the reason i hope the game tanks, it's F2P model. now, i have no problem with selling power sets that aren't part of the core game, like CoH is doing, or costume or content packs, there's a lot of people playing free, and gotta get money off em some how, i get it. but they took away a CORE game play mechanic, the free form characters and roped them off for subscribers only. no. that is not cool, its a main feature of the game, they should not have been taken away and replaced with 'static builds' that have no choices to them, not to mention not offering any kind of bonus to player who'd been playing, nope, all you get to keep is the stuff you bought.

i wrote them a rather strongly worded letter about it to actually, i was really pissed

Kitsuna10060:
CoX has fixed this, you now can take travel power at level 4, not crap like hover, the actual Fly or Super Speed. also, i like CO character creator, (4 colors, different' gloves and shoulder if you want) but the options are to limited

I didn't know that, good to hear. As for character creation, I haven't found it too limited, but I guess that's because they have the things I want. It's still more varied than the majority. I think it's also nice not to have to wait twenty levels to get the definitive superhero costume piece.

they fixed this to with the day job system, well sort, staying logged up build bonus XP, which speeds up leveling or, in case you get dropped, prevents debt from piling up at all

Not really a fix, you have to stay logged in, but at least it's not as crippling as it used to be. I still think the CO system works better.

?? i never had this problem in CO, every thing was dead before i ran out of energy :D,(i ran Darkness when i played) but yeah, :/ CoH still has this issue, though, not as bad as it used to be, they changed the fitness pool, you now get it, all of it, at level 2, automatically.

I mostly played a mind control/force field controller. Amazing on teams but too energy intensive solo.

my issue with it is, a lack of powers, ironically. there's, or was, no melee option for elemental powers, which i think is stupid, and how little there was to do. case in point, after the tut and newb zone, you pretty much had to do both the desert and Canada to be ready for the first city missions, every freaking time. and the references .... felt like they where beating me over the head with em, i know the CoH crew are better writers then that.

They've recently introduced quite a few new archetypes, and I went straight from the tutorial into the city missions, I guess they must have added some lower level city missions. The world isn't as big, but I think it's nice not to have to change zones.

Also, maybe I'm just oblivious, but I haven't noticed any references.

i liked the combat though, but... seemed like every enemy was ranged, so i'd take more damage then i should just to get in striking distance (DCUO kinda has this problem in reverse, no real point in rolling a ranged character cause everything is melee)

Not something I've come across, must have balanced it since you played.

lastly, the reason i hope the game tanks, it's F2P model. now, i have no problem with selling power sets that aren't part of the core game, like CoH is doing, or costume or content packs, there's a lot of people playing free, and gotta get money off em some how, i get it. but they took away a CORE game play mechanic, the free form characters and roped them off for subscribers only. no. that is not cool, its a main feature of the game, they should not have been taken away and replaced with 'static builds' that have no choices to them, not to mention not offering any kind of bonus to player who'd been playing, nope, all you get to keep is the stuff you bought.

i wrote them a rather strongly worded letter about it to actually, i was really pissed

I actually think that's a good way of doing it, I don't see how freeform should be a core mechanic or can be considered a main feature, from what I've seen very few subscribers actually play them. The archetypes are a bit restrictive but balanced nicely. Also, why should they offer bonuses to people they're not getting money from? How is getting what you've payed for not enough? You're already playing the game for free.

It's a good game and I hope it has a long life. Though I will give CoH another look now it's F2P... if I can remember my password.

OriginalLadders:

I actually think that's a good way of doing it, I don't see how freeform should be a core mechanic or can be considered a main feature, from what I've seen very few subscribers actually play them. The archetypes are a bit restrictive but balanced nicely. Also, why should they offer bonuses to people they're not getting money from? How is getting what you've payed for not enough? You're already playing the game for free.

It's a good game and I hope it has a long life. Though I will give CoH another look now it's F2P... if I can remember my password.

it was kind of a big deal when they where advertising it, 'your character your way, with no class restraints' was the blurb i think,in fact, it was WHY i tried it to begin with. then they ripped it away from every body unless you pay up :/

anyway, they changed a lot in CoH since the F2P conversion, new tutorial level, new 1-whatever content, and best part :D no more restrictions on classes!! you want a heroic 'brute' you roll him a hero :D (insert 'for ever alone' in regards to scrappers here)

SWTOR

I can play it as a single player RPG game without losing much content. It has a great combat system and interesting stories for some of the classes.
The only failing is that the end game content really forces multiplayer assistance and is an extreme grind. In other words, it offers nothing to me after reaching level 50.

Guild Wars

Take the benefits of SWTOR but with the ability to control a group and customize your party. It lacks in the story department though. Also no subscription fee, making it the best thing ever. I was gladly able to play the game and put it down for days/weeks/months without having to think twice.

I absolutely hate grinding; hate it with the fiery passion of 1000 suns. I find it incredibly difficult to get invested in most MMOs just because of that (and the fact that most of them are designed to waste time for subscription money and pit players directly against each other, even in solo-style PvE).

While Guild Wars isn't technically an MMO, it has the best fun:grind ratio in any MMO-type game I've played. It's sequel, Guild Wars 2, is shaping up to be incredible, while retaining the buy the box "B2P" model.

League of Legends also isn't "technically" an MMO, but it's well worth a play, especially if you enjoy high strategy.

Tribes: Ascend is great fun, but again not "technically" an MMO... Firefall is somewhat similar to it, with a lot more "MMO-ness" to it, fascinating and free.

Other upcoming MMO games worth a look: Guild Wars 2, Firefall, WildStar, Mechwarrior Online, World of Warplanes.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked