Mass Effect 3 "Change The Ending" Petition (almost certainly spoilers)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

So, apparently, there is a lot of pushing on the Bioware forums to change the ending of Mass Effect 3.

http://www.destructoid.com/mass-effect-3-fans-petition-bioware-to-change-the-ending-223615.phtml#ext

I'll start by saying that I haven't played ME3 yet, but half-know about the ending choices. It didn't really spoil me, I kinda predicted that there would be a bit of a downer ending, so it was unsurprising. But apparently people were so shocked by this that they want BioWare to change the ending, or give another choice.

Personally, this is probably the most mind-numbingly stupid thing I've ever seen on the internet ever.

Guess what: BioWare have the right to do ANY ending they want. If they thought that a downer ending was the best way to end the series, then that's what they thought, and NO-ONE ELSE has ANY RIGHT to tell them to change it. No-one. Anywhere. Ever.

It's fine if you don't like the ending. That's cool. Lots of games have bad endings. Lots of trilogies have bad endings. What you are SUPPOSED to do as a mentally well-adjusted adult is get past it, and get on with your damn lives. Seriously.

People petitioning for an extra ending or a different one is just a silly as me saying "Oh hey BioWare I saw this great X-Men/Sonic/Mass Effect crossover fic and it's way better than your story you should change it". Except there'd never be a petition for that, because that's stupid, just like this is.

Beautifully, people were joking about a "new ending as DLC" rip-off and this pressuring of BioWare MIGHT make that happen. And then you'd just complain about it afterwards.

Seriously. Play your games. If you like them, great. If you don't like them, oh well, get on with your life. If you were to try and force every developer to change a game you didn't like, you'll have a lot of letters to write.

To be fair to most people, I don't think they're angry with the ending being a downer, I think they're angry with the endings available essentially boiling down to "push a button to choose your ending", which means that hardly any of the important actions from the prior two games have an effect.

For example: Rewriting or not rewriting the Geth in ME2 becomes irrelevant because with one button push all synthetic life is destroyed.

There's nothing wrong with a downer ending, or multiple downer endings. The series HAD to end like that. They just could have been implemented better.

Haven't played it yet, so obviously haven't experienced what the ending actually feels like, but they've been building up to this moment for three goddamn games. I'm perfectly fine with the choices available, I don't want a happily ever after option, because characters are defined by their difficult and/or bad decisions, and what gets more difficult than this?

Also, playing the last two Mass Effects doesn't make me a Bioware fan does it? I'd be ashamed to call myself one the way the internet has been behaving for the past month...give them a damn break.

7 Mass Effect 3 topics on the first page. For the benefit of the doubt, 1 is a double post.

People want Bioware to change the ending? What kind of retarded fuckwits would want that? It's not like Watchmen wherein liberties were taken, it's something they wrote.

Seriously, some people.

Agreed completely. The whole "Galactic Readiness" thing was fucking idiotic. I understand the difficulty in hashing out a truly personal game experience for a player considering the hundreds of thousands of actions you can take in an RPG, but I felt really cheated. All my previous actions that I put so much weight on were reduced to numbers that didn't end up doing shit anyway.

But on the other hand, some might say it's the journey more than it is the destination. And oh my holy god was that journey incredible. Although I'm pissed about the ending, I I'd be lying if I said that playing through those 3 games, perfecting my saves, seeing old allies and new enemies show up, and watching old decisions alter how my experience went wasn't the most goddamn fun I've ever had with video games.

LastGreatBlasphemer:

erttheking:

I do, I guess that makes me a retarted fuckwit for thinking that Bioware seriously dropped the ball.

Did you join a petition for them to change the ending?
I never said people who disliked the ending were fuckwits, I said people demanding the ending be changed are. So, you tell me; are you?

Yes, yes I did. Got a problem with that? If so, get over it.

Your choic

Korten12:

LastGreatBlasphemer:
[A lot of games do that, in fact, no matter what I did in Mass Effect 2, I didn't seem to have any control over who lived and who died. In fact, I also spent the entirety of Final Fantasy VIII being the biggest dick I could possibly be, didn't change the ending at all.
Isn't it nice that the entirety of the game is null and void just because the ending didn't meet your expectations?

What... YES Your choices changed who lived and who died. If you got to know your squad mates, choose who did what they lived or died. YOUR CHOICE MATTERED. Hell then the fact that you can keep the Collector Ship or not.

Also in most games YOU DON'T HAVE CHOICE. If this was a game with no choices, fine then the ending is more understandable... BUT the game is all about choice, thus choice which has effected ME1/2 endings should effect how ME3 ended.

your choices do matter it is your choices that affects if Earth is devastated or if shepard lives

ugh damn posting system.

MiloP:

Guess what: BioWare have the right to do ANY ending they want. If they thought that a downer ending was the best way to end the series, then that's what they thought, and NO-ONE ELSE has ANY RIGHT to tell them to change it. No-one. Anywhere. Ever.

You're right that Bioware has the right to do any ending they want. However, players ABSOLUTELY have the right to ask for a better ending than the one that was given, even if Bioware chooses not to do so. I know you haven't beaten the game so I won't spoil it for you, but the ending to Mass Effect 3 is genuinely one of the worst endings I've seen for any work of fiction...ever. It invalidates everything you've done and goes against everything Shepard's character stands for. And to top it off, it provides no closure to the universe and characters that you've spent hundreds of hours growing to love. They screwed up, badly, and people are well within their rights to complain.

99.5% of Mass Effect 3 is phenomenally good. Unfortunately, the remaining 0.5% is so bizzare, disappointing and shocking that it not only drags the game down, but it takes the entire series with it.

Knight Templar:
The endings were rather bad.
Kill all synthetic life? Why does it have to kill the Geth and EDI?
Destroy all the relays? Without them there cannot be large-scale civilizations, this really should only be a condition if you were not prepared enough, the crucible gets damaged and thus overloads the relays. But to outright destroy them no matter what is insane.

That said, if I want the ending to be different I can just pretend they are. I don't need Bioware to validate my preference like this. I would like not to have a shitty ending, but I will not stamp my feet and demand they do it again. I wouldn't say no if new endings were offered.
I do want to know exactly what happened and what they were thinking.

You are aware one of the biggest themes of the series was how the Mass Relays/citadel network were tools used by the reapers to control technological and societal evolution down a path they chose?

Not destroying the relays makes no sense given the themes of the game, and would mean that the current races, and any future races, would still be stuck down the reapers dead end cosen path for the galaxy.

BUT what makes it EVEN WORSE is that now the galaxy has become willing slaves to a slave master that is dead.

Also there is NOTHING that prevent the races from rebuilding and making thier own Mass relays and thus allowing for a game set like 1,000 years later.

If the fans keep this up bioware will be the next George lucas

LastGreatBlasphemer:
7 Mass Effect 3 topics on the first page. For the benefit of the doubt, 1 is a double post.

People want Bioware to change the ending? What kind of retarded fuckwits would want that? It's not like Watchmen wherein liberties were taken, it's something they wrote.

Seriously, some people.

I do, I guess that makes me a retarted fuckwit for thinking that Bioware seriously dropped the ball.

The fact of the matter is that if you didn't see Shepard's fate of going all Neo on everyone and commiting the ultimate sacrifice then you're blind.

That said, though, I do agree that it was rather lame to see the end of the series get decided by the End-o-Matic system of letting you pick which one you got, but then again ME 2 essentially ended the same way (no matter if you're paragon or renegade, you're given the choice of blowing up the Collector base or keeping it).

I think all the endings were acceptable seeing as how I pretty much knew that Shepard wasn't coming back alive. I believe the core of everyone's problem with the endings, though, isn't what happened to Shepard or the relays, I think it's the lack of closure with everything else. This game is about maintaining hope for the future...just what IS that future? Could civilization, though brutalized and scattered, rebuild? Did the races of the galaxy ever recreate the mass relays? I think people would have had a much larger appreciation for the various endings if we got something...even if it was like the ending to Dragon Age where you get to read about how all your choices ended up playing out...what happens to the dwarves, the elves, the mages, etc. If there was something like that for the ME 3 endings, I'd imagine more people would be satisfied.

As for my final word on the ending, like I said: they were all acceptable endings to the series, they just left people wanting more. People want to know what the hell happened after Shepard made the sarifice.

erttheking:

I never said people who disliked the ending were fuckwits, I said people demanding the ending be changed are. So, you tell me; are you?

SajuukKhar:

Knight Templar:
Destroy all the relays? Without them there cannot be large-scale civilizations, this really should only be a condition if you were not prepared enough, the crucible gets damaged and thus overloads the relays. But to outright destroy them no matter what is insane.

That said, if I want the ending to be different I can just pretend they are. I don't need Bioware to validate my preference like this. I would like not to have a shitty ending, but I will not stamp my feet and demand they do it again. I wouldn't say no if new endings were offered.

You are aware one of the biggest themes of the series was how the Mass Relays/citadel network were tools used by the reapers to control technological and societal evolution down a path they chose?

Not destroying the relays makes no sense given the themes of the game, and would mean that the current races, and any future races, would still be stuck down the reapers dead end cosen path for the galaxy.

BUT what makes it EVEN WORSE is that now the galaxy has become willing slaves to a slave master that is dead.

Also there is NOTHING that prevent the races from rebuilding and making thier own Mass relays and thus allowing for a game set like 1,000 years later.

How would it be different if the races built mass relays on their own?

Not to mention the fact that they're already going down that path since they still have mass effect field technology, which was developed because of tech left behind by the Reapers. The only difference is that instead of starting over with the pinnacle of Reaper technology, they're starting over with more primitive Reaper tech.

In my opinion, an epilogue would improve the ending.... immensely. It would give us closure.

LastGreatBlasphemer:

erttheking:

Dude... THE ENDINGS WERE HORRIBLE. Like they were written by a five year old. So people wanting to change the ending is completely understandable. Hell, the endings void out all choices in the game. You don't even get to see how your choices effect the universe, text or any other way. It's just THAT bad.

MiloP:

Personally, this is probably the most mind-numbingly stupid thing I've ever seen on the internet ever.

It's fine if you don't like the ending. That's cool. Lots of games have bad endings. Lots of trilogies have bad endings. What you are SUPPOSED to do as a mentally well-adjusted adult is get past it, and get on with your damn lives. Seriously.

Beat the game and then come back. Once you realize that all your choices from ME1-3 have no effect on the conclusion. You will be pissed.

Let me ask you, why would a series that is so based on choice. Have all of your choices form the last three games HAVE NO FUCKING EFFECT on the ending? All your choices change anything. The endings are static, not effected by any previous choices and are all basically the same thing but different color.

Seriously. Play your games. If you like them, great. If you don't like them, oh well, get on with your life. If you were to try and force every developer to change a game you didn't like, you'll have a lot of letters to write.

Fallout 3's ending got changed because of how shitty it was. So point refuted.

Korten12:

LastGreatBlasphemer:

erttheking:

Dude... THE ENDINGS WERE HORRIBLE. Like they were written by a five year old. So people wanting to change the ending is completely understandable. Hell, the endings void out all choices in the game. You don't even get to see how your choices effect the universe, text or any other way. It's just THAT bad.

A lot of games do that, in fact, no matter what I did in Mass Effect 2, I didn't seem to have any control over who lived and who died. In fact, I also spent the entirety of Final Fantasy VIII being the biggest dick I could possibly be, didn't change the ending at all.
Isn't it nice that the entirety of the game is null and void just because the ending didn't meet your expectations?

other then being implemented better i have no problem with the endings. what do you guys want sappy new age fairy tale ending.

LastGreatBlasphemer:
[A lot of games do that, in fact, no matter what I did in Mass Effect 2, I didn't seem to have any control over who lived and who died. In fact, I also spent the entirety of Final Fantasy VIII being the biggest dick I could possibly be, didn't change the ending at all.

What... YES Your choices changed who lived and who died. If you got to know your squad mates, choose who did what they lived or died. YOUR CHOICE MATTERED. Hell then the fact that you can keep the Collector Ship or not.

Also in most games YOU DON'T HAVE CHOICE. If this was a game with no choices, fine then the ending is more understandable... BUT the game is all about choice, thus choice which has effected ME1/2 endings should effect how ME3 ended.

Oh, and PS: while I can understand people's frustration with the ending(s) to ME 3, I do think it's rather hilarious that the fans are making a petition for a new ending. :P

SajuukKhar:

Without the Reapers this is not only no longer a problem, but also no longer true. The reapers are not going to kill us so whats the problem? There's no trap in it anymore.

Not destroying the relays makes no sense given the themes of the game, and would mean that the current races, and any future races, would still be stuck down the reapers dead-end chosen path for the galaxy.

It was a dead-end because they killed us, that will no longer happen, we can develop beyond what they intended, as we already have.

Wait a moment, how does using the Mass relays make us slaves? Should we abandon all spacefaring technology simply because the reapers came up with it?
You would have us stay on a single world or at best system because in the past it was all a trap centered around the citadel, a trap that has been nonfunctional for over 50 thousand years?
Because somehow using this tech makes us a slave? We are already outside the Reapers plans, using the relays will not change that.
Yeah the reapers are bad, but that's no reason to be a Luddite.

This is kindof why I don't see any point in controlling the reapers, if we win we will already be beyond them, there will be nothing to gain from controling them. except the whole no mass realys thing.

Also there is NOTHING that prevent the races from rebuilding and making their own Mass relays and thus allowing for a game set like 1,000 years later.

We have no idea how to make a relay, and we would first need to be able to cross such vast distances to make something that goes anywhere, we cannot do that.
Maybe if we could study the relays, we could make our own like the Protheans did.

Huh?

KingofMadCows:

Not to mention the fact that they're already going down that path since they still have mass effect field technology, which was developed because of tech left behind by the Reapers. The only difference is that instead of starting over with the pinnacle of Reaper technology, they're starting over with more primitive Reaper tech.

The same way it is different that the true Geth are building their own Dyson sphere body and the heretic's were supposed to be just given one.

They were both aiming for the same goals, except one did it on their own time with their own strength and the others were just given it.

It isn't the destination that matters, but the path taken there. One who is just GIVEN something becomes dependent on it, they stay in ignorance of what it is they are given because since they didn't build it they can never fully understand it, and it makes them slaves to whoever gave it to them because, due to their ignorance, they can't or wont make more of it.

We can see the races blindness in how The Asari laughed off people who wanted to make their own Mass relays, they are so complacent and stagnant due to their expectation that the mass relays always will just be there that they are closing themselves off from possible technological paths and improvements.

Civilization was beyond redemption the second they started using the Mass relays and made their civilization dependent on it. Killing the reapers doesn't change that, it just maks them dependent to a giver who is no longer around.

Korten12:

LastGreatBlasphemer:

The thing is, though, that your choices DO matter, they just play out in a way we're not used to seeing since this is the final chapter of the story. Where as the consequences in the previous games showed up in the latter games, you get to see the consequences of your choices first hand in ME 3. You literally write history throughout the course of the game.

You get to see first hand what happens if you decide to cure the Genophage or not: you either bring unification to the Krogan or you doom them to extinction. You also get to see first hand what happens between the Geth and the Quarians depending on how you resolve that situation. Since there's no more games in Shepard's story, you see the consequences of your actions play out before you.

Like I said in my previous post: I agree that some more closure would have been nice, something like

RJ 17:
the ending to Dragon Age where you get to read about how all your choices ended up playing out...what happens to the dwarves, the elves, the mages, etc.

But, in the end, you still see the consequences to your actions throughout the course of playing ME 3.

SajuukKhar:

KingofMadCows:

The same way it is different that the true Geth are building their own Dyson sphere body and the heretic's were supposed to be just given one.

They were both aiming for the same goals, except one did it on their own time with their own strength and the others were just given it.

It isn't the destination that matters, but the path taken there. One who is just GIVEN something becomes dependent on it, they stay in ignorance of what it is they are given because since they didn't build it they can never fully understand it, and it makes them slaves to whoever gave it to them because, due to their ignorance, they can't or wont make more of it.

We can see the races blindness in how The Asari laughed off people who wanted to make their own Mass relays, they are so complacent and stagnant due to their expectation that the mass relays always will just be there that they are closing themselves off from possible technological paths and improvements.

Civilization was beyond redemption the second they started using the Mass relays and made their civilization dependent on it. Killing the reapers doesn't change that, it just maks them dependent to a giver who is no longer around.

So I guess the Hiigarans should have invented hyperspace technology on their own instead of reverse engineering Progenitor technology. And that everything that happened in Homeworld 1 and 2 were stupid because the Hiigarans didn't really earn any of their accomplishments.

Just beat the game not five minutes ago.

I liked the ending. I wish it were happier, but I understand why it wasn't. Good stuffs. Catalyst-being was retarded though, just going to pretend that my Shep hallucinated that.

Also who cares what happens to the Geth now. My bro-geth is gone ;_;

That petition makes me sad.

I think a petition like this is so rude. Bioware spent a lot of time and effort on this series and the last game. Sure that doesn't mean everything is perfect in everyones eyes, but it's a damn good game.

Sure you can say you hate the ending, and you can say what if it had ending like this or I got to do this? But to start a petition like this is ignorant.

This is the end the writers and the developers decided on. You should respect that just as you would respect the ending of a book or movie, sure you might hate the end of a book or movie, but whats the point in signing an actual petition to change the ending?

The new ending would feel fake and forced, you are better off just pretending the game ended a different way using your imagination. Uhg!

Fallacy. Creators indeed have the right of creation and domain over their works, however in any story told there is a Reader/Writer contract.

The Reader-Writer Contract
by Chawna Schroeder

Each time someone picks up a novel an unspoken contract is made between the reader and the author. The reader offers to suspend his disbelief, to give up his precious time, and to place his fragile trust in the hands of the authors.

But time, trust, and a suspension of disbelief are not free; a reader wants something in return. So what is it that a reader expects from the author?

- That the author will treat him as intelligent. We have brains and they do work. So don't say everything or open every door. Hand us the keys and let us figure out how to unlock it ourselves.

- That the story will fulfill the conventions of the genre the novel claims to be. If it is a mystery, there better be a puzzle that needs solving.

- That the rules will not change and the author will play by the rules he sets up. If in the world created birds can swing but not fly, we better not see flying birds halfway through.

That in a similar way, the style of the first page will be the style of the whole story. Is the first scene a humorous incident? Then the author has promised humor throughout the whole.

- That an emotionally satisfying experience will be given. While great prose is appreciated, a great story is a must.

- That there'll be good ending, a primarily source for an emotionally satisfying experience. A multitude of errors will be forgiven if a great ending is provided. And what qualifies as a great ending? The release of tension that come from the sense of rightness, the feeling that this is the way things should-had-to be, whether bittersweet or happily-ever-after.

- That the author will not deceive the reader. An author can mislead a character and therefore the reader, but the truth must be there and twists properly foreshadowed so that a reader can look back and say, "Duh! Of course, that's what had to happen. Why didn't I see that coming?"

That the flip-side of that will be true-all foreshadowing will be fulfilled. Or as is talked about in playwriting, if there's a gun on the wall, it'd better be fired before the end of the act.

Bioware has not fulfilled their end of the contract, I am fully within my rights to be upset over this.

KingofMadCows:

So I guess the Hiigarans should have invented hyperspace technology on their own instead of reverse engineering Progenitor technology. And that everything that happened in Homeworld 1 and 2 were stupid because the Hiigarans didn't really earn any of their accomplishments.

Actually the Hiigarans DID develop their own hyperspace technology.

The cores allowed for far-jumping, which amounts to a super-hyperspace.

Beyond that yes I do think that they should in time make their own far-jump cores. If you recall the far-jump cores being these rare thing that no one really understood how to copy are what caused the Hiigarans to abuse it and become exiled, they caused the war with the Vaygr, they caused the Bentusi to become arrogant, believing that they could protect the entire galaxy, which led to the great galactic wars that nearly ending life in the galaxy, and countless other untold death.
Also there is a giant difference between the hyperspace cores and the Mass relays, in that the Mass relay system was designed specifically to limit the technological development of the races, the hyperspace cores were not, different situations in near entirety.

In fact given the existence of the Eye of Aarran, the far-jump cores were made to help races if anything.

It's not self-entitlement or 'stupid'.

The fans aren't asking for an ending they deserve. They're asking for an ending that Mass Effect deserves.

MiloP:
S

I'll start by saying that I haven't played ME3 yet,

Perhaps you should, before making blanket criticisms of others.

If you'd spent 3 games, 100+ hours building up your character, collecting war assets and trying to do every sidequest and story choice right, the game constantly goading and hinting at you that you're doing it all the right way... you too might feel a little miffed at the end when it all means nothing.

Isn't it obvious that they will sell better endings as DLC? I would hope EA fans knew by now that they don't give you the full ending at launch, just a teaser to hook you for future DLC.

TsunamiWombat:

Fallacy. Creators indeed have the right of creation and domain over their works, however in any story told there is a Reader/Writer contract.

The Reader-Writer Contract
by Chawna Schroeder

snip

Bioware has not fulfilled their end of the contract, I am fully within my rights to be upset over this.

Okay, and where exactly are you claiming the fault lies with them? Which part of the 'contract' did they not fulfil?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked