One thing all gamers should know.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Ill start, KotoR 2 was not made by Bioware, it was made by Obsidian.

They're not bugs, they're features! :)

Captcha: Tall Building

Just because the game's rated 18/MA doesn't mean that there's only people aged 18+ playing it.

You can like more than one game from a genre. You can also like more than one genre. You can also like PC, Xbox and PS3. It is surprising how many people don't know this.

If you like a game, there's a good chance other people dislike it. And they WILL let you know about that fact, often and loudly.

Labeling a game as "casual" because it's accessible to people who've never played a video game before is a stupid idea. I could call most Call of Duty players 'casuals' because they never expand their horizons past it.

Labeling games like Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape Torment as "old school" RPGS that are the template for everything a RPG should be is pretty funny, because when they came out advocates of "old school" RPGS like Wizardry and Ultima roundly trashed the "new" RPGS as being soulless and lowest common denominator.

In 10 years, you guys will be smacking the shit out of the new RPGS, and talking about how they did it right back in the olden days, with hardcore old timer shit like Mass Effect and Skyrim.

If you like something popular you are WRONG and FUELLING BAD GAMES TO BE MADE.

hazabaza1:

Are you being satirical or are you serious?

If you legitimately enjoy sports games or fighters, you revoke your right to have a negative opinion on any other genre.

craftomega:

hazabaza1:

Totally serious man. Hell, I haven't even played half the games I bash because I know they're shit and for casuals. Goddamn scrubs. Only good games were made back when 16-bit graphics were around. Nowadays it's all consoles and people having no skill. Don't these fuckers know that you can't have fun without any skill? Gawd.

Ultimately knee jerk reactions and making personal attacks on other gamers make you unhappy.

There will always be a shit FPS franchise bleeding its way into next year...

captcha - 'all dancing'... a tad ironic, that...

if your spending more then five minutes complaining about something you didn't have to buy, you need to look at you self in the mirror

its better to be optimistic and have a positive outlook on things than to wine and complain like its your time of the month
or
popular things are popular for a reason and just because you personally dont like them it doesn't mean that they are shit or are only liked by retards

Game development is marginally[1] more complex and expensive than you think it is.

[1] read: immensely

They're just games, take it easy.

The Death of an old Emperor is always a bad thing, as is the death of the new one!

There will always be people who judge you for liking certain genres/games (see Akio91 post above).

They are wrong 100% of the time.

Iwata:
If you like a game, there's a good chance other people dislike it. And they WILL let you know about that fact, often and loudly.

And if you're thinking of arguing with them, don't. IT'S A TRAP!

(the joke here being that Iwata's avatar is admiral Ackbar. I didn't really think that through for anyone else who is seeing this...)

Games you build up in your head will always, always dissapoint you.

A person's opinion about a game series, genre, system or whatever does not mean you hate them, when it comes down to it we are all gamers and 100% of people will not agree with you 100% of the time.

Getting some enjoyment out of a mediocre game is alright, as is not enjoying a game that everyone claims is great.

Also, review scores are meaningless, so read the actual text of the review, and unless your are completely certain you will enjoy the game, never buy it at launch. Even then, exercise caution.

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

If there's one philosophy that should govern the development, enjoyment, and reception of all games, it's this.

hazabaza1:

craftomega:

hazabaza1:

Totally serious man. Hell, I haven't even played half the games I bash because I know they're shit and for casuals. Goddamn scrubs. Only good games were made back when 16-bit graphics were around. Nowadays it's all consoles and people having no skill. Don't these fuckers know that you can't have fun without any skill? Gawd.

Fun game: Try to post a comment that is so stupid that everyone realizes you must be joking. (Hint: This is impossible.)

one thing all gamers should know?

Because you have every game made in the past five or six years does not make you hardcore.

having one of these, on the other hand:

infact DOES mean you are hardcore.

The Law of Degrading Quality: No matter how much you like a dev, they will inevitably either embark down a path you don't like, or all their work will feel samey, and you'll never like any of their releases as much as you enjoyed the originals. (Mercilessly cribbed from a music review site I read.)

For examples, see Interplay (Fallout to movie tie-ins), Bungie (Halo series dragging on), Bioware (Baldur's Gate to Mass Effect (smaller populations here, not flaming)), and Bethesda (mixed bag- some feel all the Elder Scrolls are samey, some don't like the simplification).

Lots of companies don't owe you jack shit. I don't care how much they pissed you off. Everything they have done is not for your benefit. Pretty much understand if they laid you off or screwed you out of money. All these people whining just need to shut the hell up. Really is no need to get angry because you don't have to buy it. Do yourself a favor and put that energy towards something more productive.

Lucem712:

That is actually not as silly as you make it sound. It is a legitimate risk-avoidance tactic. No joke, they actually told us about that idea in a Software Engineering class I took.

OT; There are many people out there who hate something you like, and if given the opportunity, will talk about it quite loudly. Luckily, there are also those who like that thing too and will take the opportunity to talk about it quite loudly, so keep you chins up. :)

Lucem712:

Only in Bethesda Land. Everywhere else, they're just bugs.

OT: Call of Duty is going to die down in a few years, to be replaced by another mediocre (in my eyes, anyway) franchise, which will in turn die down a few years later, and so on. This will continue until the end of time. This also applies to all other "popular" franchises out there. The existence of these games will not signal the stagnation of a genre, because we will always have our Valves, our Bethesdas, our BioWares, and our indie devs out there creating original ideas and revolutionizing their respective genres. That is all.

That Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2011) was in fact the 3rd Need for Speed tile with "Hot Pursuit" in it. The first one was Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit (1998) and they tried to use the first one as ground work for the physics in the newest one. (And I think they failed)

Of all the things I could have said, that is literally the most important thing I could ever say.

You're playing with a toy. If you're having fun then you're doing it right but if you can't stop bitching about your toys online then you're doing it wrong (especially if you're bitching about other people not liking the ones you like specifically).

If the game your playing is story based and you don't like the story than try another one. Complaining about the story doesn't fix said story and does nothing but waste time you could be using getting into another pick-your-own-adventure game.

That Pac-Man was Namco, not Atari.

It was insane how many people got that wrong in a thread a while back. It was even more insane that the Atari port for Pac-Man was absolutely terrible, and one of the worst ports ever made.

Also, video/Computer gaming is actually a lot older, than most people think. Most Gamers think that the 1972 game pong was the first digital game, it wasn't. The first modern digital game Space War was created in 1962 on the PDP-1 machine, which only one is in existence today. Gaming history can been traced even further back than that, with tennis for two, a simple pong like game, and OXO that was created in the 50's using a cathode ray tube.

This is a picture of the machine used for such a monstrous task.

The first game console came out in 1972 called the Magnavox odyssey, it had hardly any graphics to speak of, so it had overlays to compensate.

Space age technology for a space age time.

CrazyBlaze:
You can like more than one game from a genre. You can also like more than one genre. You can also like PC, Xbox and PS3. It is surprising how many people don't know this.

Screw what I was about to say. This. So much this.

DanteLives:
Just because the game's rated 18/MA doesn't mean that there's only people aged 18+ playing it.

My version:
More then likely the higher the games age rating is, the lower the average age of the gamer playing it.

Example: DOA Beach Volleyball.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked