Attention Old School RPG Fans......WASTELAND 2....34 Days Left to Pledge $$$

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Tired of gay elf/alien sex and hiking sims ? Do you miss some of that old school hardcore CRPG goodness ?

Since the publishers won't support traditonal RPGs anymore the original WASTELAND creators are using this kickstarter program to try and fund a WASTELAND 2 game.

Wasteland was a gritty, party based post-apoc RPG in which Fallout 1 was the successor to.

I know alot of people (including me) always complain that they're not making traditonal RPGs anymore, and that they are all just action games 'with RPG elements'. (except a few indies here and there) Well here's our chance to put our money where our mouth is and get this thing made. They already have 320,100 $ raised and 34 days to go. If they don't reach their goal of 900,000 everybody gets their $$$ back.

If this works, it also might give incentive for others (including Avellone & Obsidian, who have already shown interest) to go ahead with their own kickstarter projects, so the shitty publishers can be avoided, and we can get the type of hardcore CRPGs that we've been sorely missing in this modern era of gaming. Check out the different packages on the right. They start at 15$ only.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2?ref=discover_rec

Wow, if this was a thread about who you wanted to fuck with Shepard it would be like 10 pages already.

FFS. No wonder the industry is such shit nowadays.

eh looks kind of interesting but I'm so tired of brown post apocalyptic games.

Yeah, I'm probably going to join the $100 club on this one come next payday. I'm at least doing a $50 donor. I'm really glad to see that they're staying turn-based -- not because I think it's inherently better, but because it's kind of a lost art form these days.

synobal:

To be fair, Wasteland pretty much invented the post-apocalyptic game genre. Every from Fallout (made by many of the same guys) to Rage owes it a huge debt. If any game deserves the chance to give the genre another swing, it's certainly Wasteland.

Meh, Wasteland was alright and I liked the kookie cartoon graphics. But I always thought Fallout was better in every way.

I mean Fallout had an interesting story, it's setting was much better explained, it had a stylistic humor to it etc. Wasteland just felt like Bards Tale or Ultima with a twist.

Anyway the reason why CRPGs arent being made all that much right now is because CRPGs wont sell as well as an FPS on console will. Hence why games are being dumbed down right now and I can't foresee this new Wasteland game selling all that well.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

synobal:

To be fair, Wasteland pretty much invented the post-apocalyptic game genre. Every from Fallout (made by many of the same guys) to Rage owes it a huge debt. If any game deserves the chance to give the genre another swing, it's certainly Wasteland.

It hardly "invented" it, rather it kickstarted it.

The post apocolyptic game genre wasn't really all that popular till Fallout came out, and while Fallout was Wasteland's spiritual successor and everything, it bore much more resemblance to films like Mad Max 2.

DeadYorick:
Meh, Wasteland was alright and I liked the kookie cartoon graphics. But I always thought Fallout was better in every way.

I mean Fallout had an interesting story, it's setting was much better explained, it had a stylistic humor to it etc. Wasteland just felt like Bards Tale or Ultima with a twist.

Maybe, just like Fallout took from Wasteland, Wasteland 2 will learn from Fallout, and some of the things that made that game so great.

One thing I like about it more than Fallout, is that it's gonna be party based, not just controlling one guy, which will make the combat alot deeper & more tactical.

Tactical combat RPG with strong C&C for the PC? Where did I put my wallet...

Oh, didn't know this was up. Gonna throw down some money for this for sure!

DeadYorick:

Anyway the reason why CRPGs arent being made all that much right now is because CRPGs wont sell as well as an FPS on console will. Hence why games are being dumbed down right now and I can't foresee this new Wasteland game selling all that well.

Just because a game is unlikely to sell Call of Duty numbers doesn't make it a failure, that sort of thinking is one of the absolutely biggest problems in the gaming industry today. With a budget of around 1 million, if this game were to even sell a quarter of a million on PC, which isn't unlikely, that's a massive profit and more than enough to fun future projects with a similar budget.

Problem is every publisher these days seems to be 'Go big or go home' and as a result niche market which aren't even all that niche are neglected in favour of homogenizing everything in a tidy grey goo for maximum profit.

I'll be funding this next pay day. I'm not rich so I can't go over 15$, but I'm happy to see developers taking a new approach to funding and eager to encourage it.

kickstarter can only work on quite small titles. We are talking about 2 million is the top mark.
To see this as industry changing would be unwise.

The Madman:

DeadYorick:

Just because a game is unlikely to sell Call of Duty numbers doesn't make it a failure, that sort of thinking is one of the absolutely biggest problems in the gaming industry today. With a budget of around 1 million, if this game were to even sell a quarter of a million on PC, which isn't unlikely, that's a massive profit and more than enough to fun future projects with a similar budget.

Problem is every publisher these days seems to be 'Go big or go home' and as a result niche market which aren't even all that niche are neglected in favour of homogenizing everything in a tidy grey goo for maximum profit.

I'll be funding this next pay day. I'm not rich so I can't go over 15$, but I'm happy to see developers taking a new approach to funding and eager to encourage it.

I'm actually quite excited about this. I think this industry needs that "niche" or middle level of games that aren't targeted at the largest possible audiences. I think the legacy of this won't be through kickstarter, but it might spur the revival of genres left dormant throughout the years.

I'm not sure about this, another classic top-down turn based strategic rpg without excessive voiving could be great, or it could suck. I'm not entirely convinced by the team here.

bahumat42:
kickstarter can only work on quite small titles. We are talking about 2 million is the top mark.

But then again, it would also be unwise to underestimate it.

This has made 300,000 dollars in a few hours, not bad for a sequel pitch to a semi obscure (but very influential) 24 year old PC game, especially in this day and age.

You're right though, huge budget games won't benefit from kickstarter, but for the indie scene this is a real game changer, and we could we see more buried franchises get a new leash on life with a budget release.

When the fans demand it, kickstarter makes it a possibility. Something like this was never heard of until now, and to be honest it should of been possible years ago.

Jazoni89:

bahumat42:

This has made 300,000 dollars in a few hours, not bad for a sequel pitch to a semi obscure (but very influential) 24 year old PC game, especially in this day and age.

You're right though, huge budget games won't benefit from kickstarter, but for the indie scene this is a real game changer, and we could we see more buried franchises get a new leash on life with a budget release.

When the fans demand it, kickstarter makes it a possibility. Something like this was never heard of until now, and to be honest it should of been possible years ago.

Oh yeah no doubt, i just get worried with people think this will change the way publishers work. This isn't that gamechanger. Unfortunately.

Maybe notch should get into publishing with his minecraft moneys, asmuch as i dislike that game he can't do worse than activision.

bahumat42:

Jazoni89:

bahumat42:

Oh yeah no doubt, i just get worried with people think this will change the way publishers work. This isn't that gamechanger. Unfortunately.

Maybe notch should get into publishing with his minecraft moneys, asmuch as i dislike that game he can't do worse than activision.

If you for example made a pitch for a low-key indie title on kickstarter, and suddenly got 3 million dollars, you would be totting around like this is the best thing since sliced bread, and that it's a game changer.

You must look at this in the developers perspective, it present a new opportunity to make a game while appealing to what gamers want, and what they would want to purchase. To a developer that is a perfect goal to aspire to, Kickstarter makes that goal in easy reach.

Most gamers complain that they don't want this anymore, or they are bored with a certain games series, or genre, but with kickstarter, gamers can have their collective cake and eat it, and get what they want, while keeping the developers happy, and not having to worry about if the game bombs on release, which has stopped many developers from developing certain gameplay ideas.

We gamers now have our voice with kickstarter, and we as gamers should milk this opportunity for all it's worth.

Jazoni89:

bahumat42:

Jazoni89:

If you for example made a pitch for a low-key indie title on kickstarter, and suddenly got 3 million dollars, you would be totting around like this is the best thing since sliced bread, and that it's a game changer.

You must look at this in the developers perspective, it present a new opportunity to make a game while appealing to what gamers want, and what they would want to purchase. To a developer that is a perfect goal to aspire to, Kickstarter makes that goal in easy reach.

Most gamers complain that they don't want this anymore, or they are bored with a certain games series, or genre, but with kickstarter, gamers can have their collective cake and eat it, and get what they want, while keeping the developers happy, and not having to worry about if the game bombs on release, which has stopped many developers from developing certain gameplay ideas.

We gamers now have our voice with kickstarter, and we as gamers should milk this opportunity for all it's worth.

but only with indie games.

Full 3d good graphic quality games can't be made through this. No mirrors edge, no portal, no enslaved oddysey to the west.

So while it is good (yes i agree with that). Its Not as huge a gamechanger as people imply, indies have always been able to funded before. This just makes that a bit easier.

bahumat42:

Jazoni89:

bahumat42:

Full 3d good graphic quality games can't be made through this. No mirrors edge, no portal, no enslaved oddysey to the west.

So while it is good (yes i agree with that). Its Not as huge a gamechanger as people imply, indies have always been able to funded before. This just makes that a bit easier.

Just because it's indie doesn't mean it can't have the same great gameplay in comparison to big budget titles. Amnesia, and Minecraft are two examples that have proved everyone wrong in this regard. While I personally dislike both, I can't be biased to the fact that as indie titles they have sold incredibly well, and have been compared to the best of mainstream gaming.

Also, if you firmly believe that indie games can't be as good as high budget titles, you definitely need some Total Biscuit in you're life, check him out on Totalhalibut on youtube if you haven't already.

Anthraxus:
Tired of gay elf/alien sex and hiking sims ? Do you miss some of that old school hardcore CRPG goodness ?

image xD

I'll definitely donate before the time is over, probably early next month.

bahumat42:

Oh hi, Kickstarter Adventure that just closed at over $3.3 Million wants to have a word with you.

Jazoni89:

bahumat42:

Jazoni89:

Just because it's indie doesn't mean it can't have the same great gameplay in comparison to big budget titles. Amnesia, and Minecraft are two examples that have proved everyone wrong in this regard. While I personally dislike both, I can't be biased to the fact that as indie titles they have sold incredibly well, and have been compared to the best of mainstream gaming.

its actually awesome that we agree on both of those games xD
But my point was its not going to create the big movers and shakers that are felt by those outside of the internet dwelling gamers. Outside of flower (which is widely respected) its a hard market to crack on the downloadable services. (primarily due to flaws in psn/xbla)

because unfortunately the general populace are in control of where most industries go.

Dexter111:

Anthraxus:

image xD

I'll definitely donate before the time is over, probably early next month.

bahumat42:

Oh hi, Kickstarter Adventure that just closed at over $3.3 Million wants to have a word with you.

yes a) tim schafer. thats a one off high figure, SO many games dont hit their targets on that site.

2) THATS AN INDIE TITLE., 3 million might seem like a lot, in games development terms it really isn't.

bahumat42:
yes a) tim schafer. thats a one off high figure, SO many games dont hit their targets on that site.

2) THATS AN INDIE TITLE., 3 million might seem like a lot, in games development terms it really isn't.

You just said 2 million tops, now you're somehow trying to downplay 3.3 on the first trial of a mid-budget game, yes there are a lot of small Flash-based or similar "Indie"-games on Kickstarter that also get funded (or not) for a few thousand, but this one definitely is a gamechanger, especially since he didn't have to do anything to get the funding and has his entire rights to everything the game entails, from ALL the profit that he gets while selling the game since it is already paid off it can only make a profit (on Digital Distribution services that entails 70-80% of the sales price directly to the developer) and depending on how good the last game was they could self-fund other/bigger games and grow the way Valve or CDProjekt did, without publishers screwing them over before they even have a chance to and close them down or burn them so bad that they have to close down themselves.
They also have full rights to merchandising and similar.

It's a win/win on nearly all fronts, people get to help make the products that they want, developers don't have to carry the financial risk since the product is already funded and they can keep all the profits resulting from it.
Also, Witcher 2 had a $8 Million budget, just because big publishers have to spend 20 million on "hollywood talent" and another 50-100 million on marketing doesn't mean that exceptional games can't be made on a lower budget.

Also yes, you got that right, EVERY GAME FUNDED BY KICKSTARTER IS INDIE since it doesn't require a publishers == Indie, even if they'd get 20 Million+ it'd still be "Indie".

bahumat42:

Jazoni89:

bahumat42:

But my point was its not going to create the big movers and shakers that are felt by those outside of the internet dwelling gamers. Outside of flower (which is widely respected) its a hard market to crack on the downloadable services. (primarily due to flaws in psn/xbla)

because unfortunately the general populace are in control of where most industries go.

You underestimate the power of Journalism my friend. Some mainstream magazines and publications do acknowledge indie to high degree, and yes kickstarter might not go further than the PC platform, but that's where the big bucks are now. The PC indie scene is practically a gold mine now, as many people are demanding more and more, highly original games for a cheap price tag. PC gaming itself has seen a huge rise in the past year, and that all thanks mostly in part to the Yogscast, the Starcraft E-sporters (Day 9 and Husky), and the various other PC gaming journalists such as TB. PC gaming is a juggernaut now, and you just have to look at gaming polls on the Escapist to realise this.

Me being a mostly Console gamer, Console gaming is at a bad place at the moment, a transition period between generations, and with the consumer demand for increased graphics on very ageing hardware is making indie games not as viable and as popular as the vibrant scene on the PC. As more people own laptops too, people turn to indie gaming for their gaming fix, as most indie games are not as graphically demanding. More reasons why the indie scene is more viable in a PC market, not to mention the digital distribution nature of modern PC gaming as a whole.

Dexter111:

bahumat42:

You just said 2 million tops, now you're somehow trying to downplay 3.3 on the first trial of a mid-budget game, yes there are a lot of small Flash-based or similar "Indie"-games on Kickstarter that also get funded (or not) for a few thousand, but this one definitely is a gamechanger, especially since he didn't have to do anything to get the funding and has his entire rights to everything the game entails, from ALL the profit that he gets while selling the game since it is already paid off it can only make a profit (on Digital Distribution services that entails 70-80% of the sales price directly to the developer) and depending on how good the last game was they could self-fund other/bigger games and grow the way Valve or CDProjekt did, without publishers screwing them over before they even have a chance to and close them down or burn them so bad that they have to close down themselves.
They also have full rights to merchandising and similar.

It's a win/win on nearly all fronts, people get to help make the products that they want, developers don't have to carry the financial risk since the product is already funded and they can keep all the profits resulting from it.
Also, Witcher 2 had a $8 Million budget, just because big publishers have to spend 20 million on "hollywood talent" and another 50-100 million on marketing doesn't mean that exceptional games can't be made on a lower budget.

Also yes, you got that right, EVERY GAME FUNDED BY KICKSTARTER IS INDIE since it doesn't require a publishers == Indie, even if they'd get 20 Million+ it'd still be "Indie".

dont be pedantic about the term :P you know what i meant.

And the witcher 2 is a rare exception in an industry of wastage.

Im not saying its not great for these smaller companies, but to those saying its the big game changer we all want. I can't see it being this.

Especially given that the people only quote the most successful example (which had a massive name behind it and huge internet hype) ignoring the many projects that fail on that site.

Jazoni89:

bahumat42:

Jazoni89:

You underestimate the power of Journalism my friend. Some mainstream magazines and publications do acknowledge indie to high degree, and yes kickstarter might not go further than the PC platform, but that's where the big bucks are now. The PC indie scene is practically a gold mine now, as many people are demanding more and more, highly original games for a cheap price tag. PC gaming itself has seen a huge rise in the past year, and that all thanks mostly in part to the Yogscast, the Starcraft E-sporters (Day 9 and Husky), and the various other PC gaming journalists such as TB. PC gaming is a juggernaut now, and you just have to look at gaming polls on the Escapist to realise this.

i think big bucks are the wrong words. Reliable market maybe?
(im one of the consumers in question being a pc only user ^^) and wtf is helps my decision purchases to.

Im not saying its bad. But there is a divide between the AAA and the indie, and im worried that no-one will transition between them. Which would be a shame for good talent in the industry.

bahumat42:
Im not saying its not great for these smaller companies, but to those saying its the big game changer we all want. I can't see it being this.

Especially given that the people only quote the most successful example (which had a massive name behind it and huge internet hype) ignoring the many projects that fail on that site.

I don't think you're seeing the whole picture, they can self-publish on services like Steam or similar and have no obligations to pay their profits to any publishers, the game is already entirely funded so there is no direct loss of money or risk, just having one project being successful afterwards and selling ~500.000 copies at 25$ a pop would make them a direct profit of ~$9 Million (at 70%). Games like Magicka managed to sell 1.3 million copies, Super Meat Boy sold over 1 Million copies, Bastion sold 500.000 copies, unfortunately a lot of them still have publishers backing them like Paradox or Warner Bros Interactive that eat large parts of the profit for making the game happen in the first place, using Kickstarter every gaming company has the chance to become Mojang themselves with 1-2 successful titles and stop playing the "barely breaking even" game where the publisher funds the game itself and pays salaries, but next to nothing of the profits remain for the developer.

And yes you're right that not every single game idea gets funded, but does it have to? Maybe it's just a bad idea or presentation? There are very successful examples in the lower budget area like Faster Than Light also though and a lot of other games getting funded if you browse the site, it might not help every starting game developer to make millions (nor should it), but it has the opportunity to make quality game developers self-sufficient and not reliant on publishers like Mojang.

Wait I minute, I remember reading about this game, isn't it the spiritual ancestor to fallout?

erttheking:
Wait I minute, I remember reading about this game, isn't it the spiritual ancestor to fallout?

Indeed it was. Wasteland came first and was created by many of the people who would later go on to create Fallout. Hell, if I remember correctly Fallout 1 was originally meant to be Wasteland 2, but the developers couldn't get the rights to the brand and ended up just making a spin-off.

The Fallout series is actually full of references to Wasteland as well, if you've played New Vegas you probably know the NCR Ranger's, correct? That's from Wasteland. One might even say the two games technically take place in the same setting, although that's obviously up for debate.

erttheking:

Why yes it was!

Bear in mind that's from 1988 though, EA held the rights for "Wasteland", since it was their game and Brian Fargo and team over at Interplay went on to make Fallout instead. In 2003 he reaquired the rights from EA somehow and wanted to do a sequel ever since, but couldn't find any publisher backing such an "outlandish" idea like a turn-based RPG, his Kickstarter video also focuses on that area :P

bahumat42:

Jazoni89:

bahumat42:

i think big bucks are the wrong words. Reliable market maybe?
(im one of the consumers in question being a pc only user ^^) and wtf is helps my decision purchases to.

Im not saying its bad. But there is a divide between the AAA and the indie, and im worried that no-one will transition between them. Which would be a shame for good talent in the industry.

I can tell you now that the gap between Triple A and Indie is closing, and more people are choosing Indie over Triple A.

But that won't mean Triple A won't sell, not at all, on the contrary, The Witcher 2 being a triple A title for PC did incredibly well, despite piracy, and it's high graphical demand.

I wouldn't worry though, we all should just let the games industry run it's course, and whatever happens though, we as gamers will always get the upper hand, Indie...Triple A, it's all good stuff (unless you are talking about EA and Capcom and their dodgy DLC schemes that is hehe).

I'd be willing to support the game, if the combat was LESS Bard's Tale 2 and MORE Jagged Alliance 2.
Oldskool isn't a selling point just by itself. There's a particular kind of retro game that I like brought back and that's the squad-based tactical game. Not the original Wasteland combat. Not even Fallout 1&2 mechanics. The combat in Fallout tactics comes a little closer. JA2, UFO:EU and Tactics Ogre is where it's at.

Oh hell yeah, gonna throw my money at them. That video was quite funny...

Game is sitting at almost 700.000$ pledged right now, more than 75% of the way to full budget right there in under 2 days, do your duty :P

http://kotaku.com/5892901/how-wasteland-2-went-from-hopeless-to-half-a-million-in-24-hours

Some of the big spenders on this Kickstarter apparently are, for the 10000$ tier:
Minecraft's Notch: http://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/179621434346319872
Cliff Bleszinski of EPiC: http://twitter.com/#!/therealcliffyb/status/179696319709982720
Some guy that develops "Sword and Sorcery: Underworld": http://www.classicgamesremade.com/
Razer CEO Ming-Liang Tan: http://twitter.com/#!/minliangtan/status/179961670083420161
"And I'm sorry for playing on a pirated copy of Wasteland years ago, I hope this makes up for it."

Also, at least one of the 5000$ guys is EPiC president Mike Capps: http://twitter.com/#!/Althalos/status/179607822919671808

veloper:
I'd be willing to support the game, if the combat was LESS Bard's Tale 2 and MORE Jagged Alliance 2.
Oldskool isn't a selling point just by itself. There's a particular kind of retro game that I like brought back and that's the squad-based tactical game. Not the original Wasteland combat. Not even Fallout 1&2 mechanics. The combat in Fallout tactics comes a little closer. JA2, UFO:EU and Tactics Ogre is where it's at.

Well, they are saying they plan to take suggestions from the people backing the project, and the major consensus on their forum is that people would prefer at the very least the combat from Fallout 1 and 2. Plenty of people are leaning towards JA2 or Fallout Tactics as well.

Given how many games this guy has made between the original Wasteland and today, I doubt he'd go back to the menu based combat of the original.

Rack:
I'm not sure about this, another classic top-down turn based strategic rpg without excessive voiving could be great, or it could suck. I'm not entirely convinced by the team here.

Why wouldn't you be convinced by the team? This is almost the exact same team as the one that brought us the original Wasteland and Fallout. This is the same guy who made Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale.

If anyone can make a good classic RPG, it's these guys.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked