Silent Hill: Downpour kinda came out

I don't blame you for not knowing this, it kinda snuck up on me too. Now, i didn't follow that games development very closely because it looked like it was going to be Homecoming all over again but according to the review on Destructoid it's actually pretty good. So... anyone of you bought the game? What is it like?

I have a feeling no one cared about Downpour, for one reason or another. The marketing for it was basically non-existent. I'm sure Yahtzee is going to review it though (being the Silent Hill fan that he is), so I'm going to wait until that happens. Though, it's gotten pretty decent reviews. Although Homecoming and Origins got alright reviews too, and those sucked.

Downpour looks good though, in my opinion. Doesn't seem as action heavy and puts a little more focus on atmosphere.

Yeah, marketing has been incredibly minimal. I'd forgotten this even came out until I read Sterling's review over at Destructoid. I don't think anyone's really going to pay any attention to Silent Hill anymore so long as Team Silent isn't working on it. Plus, with the horror genre not being what it was before, Downpour might end up just falling by the wayside.

Shame, because it doesn't look half-bad.

Konami forgot about it.

I hope it's good. Will buy it later.

Really the only SH game that I played was SH 2, and that was a lllooonnnggg time ago. But I did notice someone on my friend's list playing SH Downpour yesterday and thought "Huh...didn't know they had made another one." :P

I'm waiting for it to come out next month.

I'll wait for the price drop . Not because i don't think it'll be good , just that i can't be bothered to buy games on release anymore. TOO MANY GAMES SO LITTLE TIME

Cyrus Hanley:

The EU nations got screwed on this release date, didn't they? Oh, wait... You guys get screwed on most releases don't you?

Prtyclever1337:

Cyrus Hanley:

The EU nations got screwed on this release date, didn't they? Oh, wait... You guys get screwed on most releases don't you?

I'm actually in Australia and when I went to EB Games last week, they had the trailer for Downpour playing on a screen and the release date shown at the end was "April 15".

But yeah, as Yahtzee has said before, Australia does get screwed over on release dates.

I picked it up day one (one of about 5 people on Earth who closely followed the development XD) and I gotta say I'm really enjoying it. It has a couple technical bugs but nothing game breaking and they were generally rare for me (playing on 360, have heard rumors of PS3 being worse.) The game does encourage evasion akin to older Silent Hill games.

My only real complaints about the game are that the game forces combat on you later in the game (only a couple times though and when you are forced into it you'll normally have a gun on hand.) The main game also averaged at about 8 hours first playthrough, although I barely touched the sidequests and only found one of 6 endings.

However overall I see it as a MAJOR step back on track, the atmosphere is fantastic with the torrental rain being panic inducing. The characters are for the most part more interesting than recent games in the series (you were a bro Deputy Wheeler but you had nothing interesting going for you besides being stereotypically black.)

Overall I greatly enjoyed the game, and am very excited to see where Vatra takes the series next (that is if they're set to develop Silent Hill 9, which I hope they will be!)

Feel free to ask any questions pertaining to the game. :)

Like VulpesAqua, I bought it day one. I didn't have high expectations, but I've always loved the series. I found it pleasantly surprising and would recommend it.

Thus far, it's been a very competent game with a great atmosphere. The locations and character are all wonderfully spooky. The enemies I've experienced up to this point are all rather original. I'm not that far in yet, so I may just not have seen nurses or a pyramid head lookalike.

Now, as for Book of Memories, I'm expecting the worst game of the decade.

Midnight Crossroads:
Like VulpesAqua, I bought it day one. I didn't have high expectations, but I've always loved the series. I found it pleasantly surprising and would recommend it.

Thus far, it's been a very competent game with a great atmosphere. The locations and character are all wonderfully spooky. The enemies I've experienced up to this point are all rather original. I'm not that far in yet, so I may just not have seen nurses or a pyramid head lookalike.

Now, as for Book of Memories, I'm expecting the worst game of the decade.

There are no nurses in the game, Vatra actually made a point of trying to avoid the series prior standards, though there is a pyramidhead-esqe guy thingy :P

Also Book of Memories looks....interesting, maybe it's my love for Isometric dungeon crawlers, I think the important thing is to remeber it is a spin-off-y game

I like what i read here, still I'll buy the game later. Does it mean that the Silent Hill Collection is out already too?

It is still on my list. Actually, I'm a little disheartened =(. I thought it looked pretty good but almost every single review I've read gave it a low score. Guess they should've bribed more people.

VulpesAqua:

How bad is the degenerating weapon system? That's the one complaint I've heard over and over. I don't have a problem with breaking weapons, I was just wondering how it is in-game.

Flailing Escapist:

VulpesAqua:

How bad is the degenerating weapon system? That's the one complaint I've heard over and over. I don't have a problem with breaking weapons, I was just wondering how it is in-game.

I've gotten decent use from the weapons before they break, and most will give visual signs of breakage as they wear on. Plus most areas will have a decent plethora of weapons lying about so if you lose one you'll likely find another weapon nearby.

RJ 17:
Really the only SH game that I played was SH 2, and that was a lllooonnnggg time ago. But I did notice someone on my friend's list playing SH Downpour yesterday and thought "Huh...didn't know they had made another one." :P

You've been away for a while :P (3, 4, Origin, the one they made for the Wii, Homecoming)

Wait.... they were planning another SH game?
Huh, i'll go rent it and see if its any good.

Aptspire:

RJ 17:

You've been away for a while :P (3, 4, Origin, the one they made for the Wii, Homecoming)

:P I knew about all of those games, hell I've watched Yahtzee's review on'em. And in most cases I had actually heard about the previous games before their release. This one just kinda snuck through development without me (and apparently some others) even noticing. :P

PsychedelicDiamond:
I don't blame you for not knowing this, it kinda snuck up on me too. Now, i didn't follow that games development very closely because it looked like it was going to be Homecoming all over again but according to the review on Destructoid it's actually pretty good. So... anyone of you bought the game? What is it like?

Ok, headed to gamestop on my lunch break.

From what I've read in the reviews posted here it sounds like a decent horror game, which on the 360 is hard to find.

I've heard from a lot of more reasonable Silent Hill fans that it's actually really great.

Of course I probably won't get it until it drops down to $20-30 because I rarely if ever buy single player games at full price unless it has hours upon hours of nigh endless content like Skyrim.

VulpesAqua:
I picked it up day one (one of about 5 people on Earth who closely followed the development XD) and I gotta say I'm really enjoying it. It has a couple technical bugs but nothing game breaking and they were generally rare for me (playing on 360, have heard rumors of PS3 being worse.) The game does encourage evasion akin to older Silent Hill games.

My only real complaints about the game are that the game forces combat on you later in the game (only a couple times though and when you are forced into it you'll normally have a gun on hand.) The main game also averaged at about 8 hours first playthrough, although I barely touched the sidequests and only found one of 6 endings.

However overall I see it as a MAJOR step back on track, the atmosphere is fantastic with the torrental rain being panic inducing. The characters are for the most part more interesting than recent games in the series (you were a bro Deputy Wheeler but you had nothing interesting going for you besides being stereotypically black.)

Overall I greatly enjoyed the game, and am very excited to see where Vatra takes the series next (that is if they're set to develop Silent Hill 9, which I hope they will be!)

Actually, i do have a question: About the story... is it like SH2 and SHSM about the protagonist psychological issues and fears or is it like Silent Hill 1 and 3 about an evil cult trying to ressurect an evil god?

PsychedelicDiamond:

VulpesAqua:

Actually, i do have a question: About the story... is it like SH2 and SHSM about the protagonist psychological issues and fears or is it like Silent Hill 1 and 3 about an evil cult trying to ressurect an evil god?

Pysch issues :D

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked