Poll: If the 3 endings of ME3 are the only ones we're going to get, which will be your final choice?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Personally I will always go with Red (Destroy). As Shepard once said "I won't let fear compromise who I am".

Aisaku:
Personally I will always go with Red (Destroy). As Shepard once said "I won't let fear compromise who I am".

If and when I can bring myself to play the game again? I'll turn it off when the elevator starts to rise and then make up my own ending. Even I could do a better job.

dreadedcandiru99:
If and when I can bring myself to play the game again? I'll turn it off when the elevator starts to rise and then make up my own ending. Even I could do a better job.

This. I could write a better ending to Mass Effect with no trouble whatsoever.

I'll choose Red, and pretend the indoctrination theory is cannon.

edit

Aisaku:

I'm still a bit confused by this ending. If it leads to the destruction of all synthetics, but Tali's suit still works and so does Garrus' eyepiece. So does that mean only synthetic lifeforms are destroyed? If so then what's to stop us from creating more AIs?

dreadedcandiru99:

agreed! I'll pause the game as Shepard and Anderson look at earth as they die and pretend that's how it ends
(which would be poignant and beautiful)

I'll choose control, if only because the destroy ending would also eradicate the Geth. I killed the quarians (and Tali) to fight for the Geth's right to live as a species and I'd rather not just kill 'em all anyway.

Beyond that, with Shepard controlling the Reapers they could probably assist in the reconstruction of the Mass relays or maybe act as starships themselves.

I didn't get the synthesis ending the first time, but I find its existence to be silly anyway. I can buy that the Crucible could destroy or control the Reapers, but I don't see how it could rewrite DNA. Unless the space magic theory actually works.

MercurySteam:

Aisaku:

I'm still a bit confused by this ending. If it leads to the destruction of all synthetics, but Tali's suit still works and so does Garrus' eyepiece. So does that mean only synthetic lifeforms are destroyed? If so then what's to stop us from creating more AIs?

that's kinda explained by the bullshit holo-kid
he says that it destroys all synthetic life forms but doesn't stop anyone from creating more and thus restarting the cycle

I'll make my own ending.

This will include Garrus and Shepard, sitting on a beach, drinking a beer.

Garrus: So, Shepard, looks like everything is back to normal.

Shepard: Couldn't have done it without you, Garrus.

Garrus: Of course you couldn't have.

Shepard: Look at that sunset.

Garrus: A sight for sore eyes.

Camera pans out, revealing the remains of several reaper corpses protruding from the ocean.

If the one ending with three palette swaps is all we're ever going to get, then my final choice will be running my copy of Mass Effect 3 through a shredder, then mailing the fragments off to Casey Hudson with a long letter telling him in long and excruciating detail exactly how he and his staff fucked up the last ten minutes of an amazing game trilogy.

I will then release DLC in which Casey Hudson pays me $10 to have me shit in a box and mail him that.

As i understood it there were about 17 endings in the game... right?

Anyway i would be Assuming Direct Control over the Reapers.

Ilikemilkshake:

This is a Cannon.

The word you meant is spelled as 'Canon'.

Ilikemilkshake:

This. I mean when Shepard can survive even though The Catalyst specifically told him he wouldn't, who's to say that any of the consequences mentioned actually happen. So in my playthough the Reapers get destroyed and the Geth/EDI/all cybernetically enhanced life in the galaxy get to stay very much alive thanks.

That said, I'm really not one to get into a shit fit about the endings (God knows enough people are doing that for me). Nor will I go to the opposite extreme and accuse anyone who would rather get into a shit fit about it as being wrong or entitled. There's far too much black and white, us or them, divisiveness going on in gamer fandom, but that's a whole other issue...

Point is I loved the game. Yes, the endings sucked balls (in my opinion), and I'm very much hoping for a free DLC epilogue, or perhaps a later edition of the game with an alternative ending. However, even if I get neither of those things the ending, shitty as it was, isn't bad enough to eclipse what I loved about the game (ie. every single Goddamn second up until that point), and in my opinion it's still set the bar for the games industry this year pretty damn high.

teh_Canape:

he says that it destroys all synthetic life forms but doesn't stop anyone from creating more and thus restarting the cycle

Except that isn't true. EDI would have been affected, but can still be seen walking out of the normandy, meaning that not all synthetic lifeforms are destroyed. There are only three explanations for this:

1. Shitty writing
2. The crucible only affects the reapers, but the AI kid lies to you with self-preservation in mind
3. Hallucination theory.

I myself go for red, because I believe in the hallucination theory.

SpaceBat:

teh_Canape:

Except that isn't true. EDI would have been affected, but can still be seen walking out of the normandy, meaning that not all synthetic lifeforms are destroyed. There are only three explanations for this:

1. Shitty writing
2. The crucible only affects the reapers, but the AI kid lies to you with self-preservation in mind
3. Hallucination theory.

I wouldn't know about EDI, she didn't pop out of the normandy in the end, thought it was because she was in my squad, but then Javik came out of the ship and he was in my squad, so eh
the hallucination theory seems pretty plausible
and I think "shitty writing" is a lame comeback, but that's just my opinion

For me i chose neutral (synthesis) for no real reason but at the time destroy was not the option i wanted, since i united the geth and the quarians (but i lost Legion, which sucked)on rannoch thus for the moment disproving the catalyst AI statement of synthetics will turn on organics. Might do the destroy with the secret extra ending thing that or stick with neutral at least then Joker and EDI can stay together.
Although what has annoyed me is Bioware said to keep the ME3 saves so I expect another ME game to come out. And judging from the endings Shepard is likely dead or at least that particular story arc is over and it takes place sometime in the future and all the choices frame the new story-arc.

I must admit though the way the ending is framed feels like the Deus Ex: HR way of picking a button.

I go blue... or was it white? I don't remember. The one where he takes over and makes the reapers apologize and leave.

Also, everyone keeps saying there's a third option that can turn everyone into robot hybrids or some shit. I didn't get that, I just got destroy or take over.

dreadedcandiru99:

This. My headcannon is that the whole thing with the starchild is actually a delusion caused by Shepard being unwilling to accept the fact that he died when Harbinger blasted him.

Synthesis. It fits with how my Shepard does things. I already united one group of synthetics and organics. Why not do the same with the Reapers? And whining about the endings is not going to change anything. It's weird, but not bad. I don't see where all the hate is coming from, seriously.

hulksmashley:

Ilikemilkshake:

Agreed. If they never fix it, the whole it was an indoctrination hallucination becomes cannon to me. I can't tolerate it any other way.

Though, I suppose Synthesis is the happiest to me. If nothing else, at least Joker is happy.

Except the "Indoctrination Hallucination" theory is as holed as the endings BioWare served us.

1) There is no motivation for the reapers to have Shephard "hallucinating" when we both know the Reapers would have preferred just finishing Shephard with the big red laser while you were running towards the transportation beam.

2) Indoctrination doesn't work like that. It's explained well enough in the Codex and in Mass Effect 1 that Indoctrination is a time-consuming process (although it can be sped up to a more rapid stage with the side effect being the subject losing mental functions much faster, but even "rapid" would still mean hours, if not days) with pre-symptoms including headaches, minor hallucinations (not 'dreams' like this theory, but more like seeing ghosts) and the victims getting more and more mentally confused over the course of the process, while finally being able to hear voices in the back of their head before the indoctrination is fully complete.

If you are going to make up your own endings, at least make up something that aren't as crap as what BioWare served us. There was a lot of good ways for ME3 to end, although to correct that, you would have to modify the plot before the final battle (preferably starting with your visit to the Illusive Mans base).

ruthaford_jive:
I go blue... or was it white? I don't remember. The one where he takes over and makes the reapers apologize and leave.

Also, everyone keeps saying there's a third option that can turn everyone into robot hybrids or some shit. I didn't get that, I just got destroy or take over.

It is unlocked by having your Effective Military Strength above a certain number at the time you hit the cerberus base, i had it around 3500 without multiplayer (which will change the galactic readiness rating) and was given the 3rd option apparently you only need 2800 and you can unlock a secret ending at 5000+

Well, I did go with the one in the middle, synthesis, as my first choice. It just felt weird and I wasn't sure what would happen, but since I did make that choice I'll stick with it.

I'd toss a coin.

I will die before reaching the crucible, therefore letting the reapers win. At least that ending will be my choice, and it's less vague than the ending(s) we did get.

pbteyeofharmony:
Synthesis. It fits with how my Shepard does things. I already united one group of synthetics and organics. Why not do the same with the Reapers? And whining about the endings is not going to change anything. It's weird, but not bad. I don't see where all the hate is coming from, seriously.

Yes it's bad.

1) It's full of plotholes. In the variant where Shephard survives (yes it's possible to get that one), he or she wakes up in a bunch of rubble on earth. Now last time i saw Shephard, he was on a giant space station several hundred kilometers above earth, without and airtight suit. How does someone survive a fall from space?

2) It brings "supernatural" into a "sci-fi" universe. Mass Effect fields, as the game have established, are energy fields created by running electricity through Element Zero, and they have the properties of creating kinetic (or in the case of biotics, telekinetic) fields, as well as modifying the space-time mass of objects allowing faster than light travel. When Mass Effect jumped from that to "galaxy expanding energy-novas that can rewrite the DNA/structure of synthetics and organics", the game essentially went from being Mass Effect to being Magic Effect, aka. all-purpose-plot-insulation syndrome.

3) It tries to explain things that are better left unexplained. To quote Yahtzee: "This isn't rocket science. Mysteries lose all their appeal the instant you explain them."

It is beyond me why BioWare didn't just stick to the Mass Effect 1 explanation of Reapers from Sovereign ("We simply are."), leaving the fantasy of the gamer some mystique to play around with while fighting an enemy they don't entirely understand. The Reapers didn't need to be explained, and giving a bad (or if we go by your definition, 'wierd') explanation certainly isn't an improvement.

4) There is no real "happy" ending.

Now, you might argue that games doesn't need happy endings, which is true. However, Mass Effect 3 sets itself up for a potential happy ending by giving us the "military rating" and "galaxy at war" system, which effectively sets up the expectation that if you, as a player, do everything right, max out your military rating and get help from everywhere you can (by playing the Galaxy at War multiplayer or the iPhone/iPad Mass Effect which can also contribute), then you will be able to get a happy, or at the very least a semi-happy, ending.
Mass Effect 2 did the same thing by actively encouraging you through dialogue to max out your team (loyalty missions) and your ship (upgrades) to make sure as many as possible survived the suicide mission. And unlike ME3, ME2 has a happy ending (everyone survives), rewarding the player if he went all out. In ME3, you are out of luck, no matter how hard you busted your ass to win.

Then there is the love interests. You see, the problem with having romances in a game sets up the expectation that those romances will somehow lead to something, or - in the case of Mass Effect 3 - that Shephard and his or hers love interest are fighting for a future together. Back in Baldur's Gate 2 + Throne of Bhaal, completing the game with a love interest gave you an epilogue explaining how you and your love interest made it to a new life, meaning that your struggles weren't in vain. In Mass Effect 3, why bother? The galaxy will end up isolated from each other and your team will end up stranded no matter what you do. What's the point?

When you then construct an ending in an RPG where the things you do (love interest, military rating etc.) are entirely or mostly irrelevant even though you give the player a close way to track/monitor them, then you are counteracting the expectations you are setting up, and are therefore inevitably gonna disappoint people, and potentially leave them frustrated.

So yes, the ending is unarguably bad. I'm not saying you're not allowed to like it or personally disregard the faults, but it has bad storytelling and plotholes all over it.

Green (synthesis)

I did not put all that effort into making the Geth and Quorians work together so that the Geth can just disappear of the face of existence with the red ending. Plus I refuse to follow the illusive man's example after having his goons Harris me the entire bloody game!

Do I want bioware to change the ending? Hell yeah! but if we're stuck with this then the least i can do I save as many characters and races as possible.

gigastar:
As i understood it there were about 17 endings in the game... right?

Anyway i would be Assuming Direct Control over the Reapers.

Ilikemilkshake:

This is a Cannon.

The word you meant is spelled as 'Canon'.

Well done good sir, you pointed out a typo. Thank god we have such bastions of the english language such as you to defend civilisation from utter ruination.

Also 17 endings? Really? I suppose Fallout 3 actually had 200 endings and not 2. http://www.destructoid.com/fallout-3-will-have-over-200-endings-you-will-never-have-a-life-again-77392.phtml

So no.. A two second clip showing the Normandy/Shepard surving/or not doesn't cut it as a different ending.

Destroy every time for me - it's what I went there to do and no derpy little GodKid is going to talk me into anything else. I love the reformed Geth but if somebody's got to be sacrificed, I'm afraid it'll have to be them.

FWIW it'd be a much more difficult decision if, say, one of the other endings didn't involve destroying the entire mass relay network

Daystar Clarion:
I'll make my own ending.

Camera pans out, revealing the remains of several reaper corpses protruding from the ocean.

i like it. both funny, and with an emotional hook i can appreciate. very much unlike the actual non-ending of the game. dammit, it was such a good game, why did they botch the ending?

Sputnik133:

Daystar Clarion:
I'll make my own ending.

i like it. both funny, and with an emotional hook i can appreciate. very much unlike the actual non-ending of the game. dammit, it was such a good game, why did they botch the ending?

I wanted my cliche ending.

A cliche ending, if it was done brilliantly, would have been far more satisfying than the tripe we actually got.

It's like for the last ten minutes, the writers became philosophy undergraduates and just fucked everything up.

My choice would be to uninstall the game.

Would someone mind telling me what the hell is the big deal with the endings? I honestly don't get it (then again, I've never played ME before).

Macgyvercas:
Would someone mind telling me what the hell is the big deal with the endings? I honestly don't get it (then again, I've never played ME before).

We spent several years, learning about the characters, the political state of the galaxy, all the different factions and could effect the outcome of a lot of them.

We never find out how these decisions played out.

That's why we're pissed.

Macgyvercas:

The big deal is that you had a big story from the first 2 games, growing from a mere soldier to a force to be reckoned with, to the beacon of hope that unites the galaxy against a common enemy. And at the last moment, a being that supposedly controls your enemy sequesters you and says alright, you win, but now you have to decide what we're going to do next. No matter what you choose, you are going to die, and your crewmates, friends and loved ones are going to be stranded in an isolated planet, whereabouts unknown.

The options are:

Become one of us and control us,
Make everybody else in the galaxy like us against their will,
or Destroy us, but you really don't want that because what we do is for your own good.

And this hero, who has stood up to politicians, leaders, criminals, and wannabe gods just gives up and takes one the options presented. Then the game basically ends, you get lights and whistles but no substance, nothing to tell you what happened after you made a deal with the devil.

How is this in any sensible way a proper ending to a trilogy?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked