Baldur's Gate - Whatever it is - is Coming Soon

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

http://baldursgate.com/

So yeah, whatever it is, there's a countdown for it now :P

I'm am really damn curious about what this is. A sequel doesn't make much sense...they tied it up really nicely at the end of Throne of Bhaal. Though EA has a really good relationship with Hasbro, so the rights probably wouldn't be much of an issue. So I guess it is a possibility.

ResonanceGames:
I'm am really damn curious about what this is. A sequel doesn't make much sense...they tied it up really nicely at the end of Throne of Bhaal. Though EA has a really good relationship with Hasbro, so the rights probably wouldn't be much of an issue. So I guess it is a possibility.

True, but remember the Baldur's Gate : Dark Alliance games? Same name, but that's all there was.

Whatever it is, I'm excited. I can't actually open the page due to overload, but I'm very excited to find out. It might be awesome, it might be terrible, but it's still new and surprising.

GOD YES! I don't care if its a remake or a sequel!(god I hope so) I am freaking excited. BG2 is my favourite game the thought of anything BG-related sets me into utter glee.

And Bioware wont be touching it? YAY!!!!!!!

ResonanceGames:

It (luckily) ain't related to anything EA/Bioware, I made this post in that News regarding the appearance of the site a while back and so far there haven't been any changes, but we'll know more soon.

Yeah, what was found out so far, I was thinking about making a Post on the forums yesterday but didn't:

http://www.chromewhois.com/domain/baldursgate.com

8707 99 Ave.
Edmonton, AL T5H 4N5
Canada
Registered through: Go Daddy
Domain Domain Name: BALDURSGATE.COM
Created: 27-Oct-11
Expires: 27-Oct-13
Updated: 05-Jan-12
Administrative Contact:
Oster, Trent

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,52489/

Trent Oster started in the game industry in 1994 and worked the majority of his career at BioWare. Through that period he has worked as a Development Studio Owner, an Artist, Programmer, Project Director and Director of Technology. After working at on the titles Shattered Steel and Baldur's Gate he led the development of Neverwinter Nights from concept to completion.

Following NeverWinter Nights, Trent completed two expansion packs and moved into the Project Director role on the next generation BioWare Eclipse Engine. Following the initial feature completion on the Eclipse Engine Trent moved on to doing a new, unannounced project which was cancelled in 2009 by EA. Trent left BioWare in 2009 and started up a digital distribution portal called: Beamdog. Trent is currently the co-owner, Creative Director and Director of Business Development at Beamdog.

View Source:

<!-- January 19, 2012 -->
<!-- Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine -->
<!-- Live by the sword, live a good looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time. -->

<!-- January 28, 2012 -->
<!-- Live by the sword, live a good looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time. -->
<!-- Kick em in the Bhaals! -->

<!-- February 13, 2012 -->
<!-- oh dear it's coming soon -->

<!-- February 28, 2012 -->
<!-- You haven't guessed it yet! -->

<!-- February 28, 2012 -->
<!-- For years, I clung to the memory of it. Then the memory of the memory. -->
<!-- And then... it returned. Better than it was before. -->
<!-- Pore over the tapestries and works of art hanging from our walls if you wish, Child of Bhaal... perhaps you will find a clue. But patience, ah... patience would reveal it all. -->

Trent had previously made MDK2 HD: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/10/more-damn-kharacters-overhaul-games-trent-oster-on-putting-the-hd-into-mdk2-hd/

Also Trent tweeted that it ain't related to Baldur's Gate on Steam: http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/107098-baldurs-gate-website-surfaces-announcement-coming-soon.html

We're not related to the Steam complete edition, I can tell you that much. Other than that, we're hoping to announce something soon.

Also... this ain't likely related to anything BiowEAr, so stop fawning about them, they'll continue to make TPS-Shooters and to be honest I want Nu-Bioware that made Dragon Age 2 as far away as possible from this...

Considering that EA/Bioware still own a good chunk of the intellectual property of the Baldur's Gate series, I'm gonna say that, yes, they are involved in this in some way.

ResonanceGames:
Considering that EA/Bioware still own a good chunk of the intellectual property of the Baldur's Gate series, I'm gonna say that, yes, they are involved in this in some way.

In the way that they pocket some of the cash. I doubt they'd be co-developing this or anything.

Thank god. Let Bioware do their fps shit. Leave RPG's to RPG companies.

Edit: site is down for some reason.

Well that just crashed their site :D
I do wonder who owns this shindig right now, there is actually only a very slim chance it's the old RPG game we expect... ya I'm trying to play it down so I wont end up crying in the shower.

Zeel:

In the way that they pocket some of the cash. I doubt they'd be co-developing this or anything.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that they would be developing anything. It's pretty clear at this point that Beamdog is handling the production of whatever this thing is.

ResonanceGames:

They don't really, EA didn't have anything to do with Baldur's Gate, ATARI owns the rights to the game IP and Wizards of the Coast/Hasbro owns the rights to the name "Baldur's Gate" aswell as the entire Dungeons&Dragons ruleset. Bioware just developed the game for Interplay and after a long legal battle those rights went to ATARI e.g.: http://www.videogamer.com/pc/baldurs_gate_2_throne_of_bhaal/news/bioware_on_not_making_baldur_s_gate_3_we_ve_no_regrets.html

In August 2008, Interplay and Atari settled a long-standing dispute, giving Atari all of Interplay's previous D&D game rights, including the Baldur's Gate license.

Speaking to VideoGamer.com, vice president of entertainment and miscellaneous at BioWare, and vice president of Electronic Arts, Greg Zeschuk, said that the development of the upcoming Dragon Age: Origins, described by the company as "the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate" (head over to our game page for more), was in part due to BioWare's inability to create Baldur's Gate 3.

"The Baldur's Gate and Dungeons and Dragons property is of course controlled by Atari, and owned originally by Hasbro, so it's a complicated, convoluted way of getting there. For us it's more a function of... because we weren't in a position to do Baldur's Gate... hey well let's create our own! That's effectively what this [Dragon Age: Origins] is. It's funny, we took a page from Fallout, not Fallout 3 but Fallout 1. Fallout 1 was basically a game called Wasteland - that was the spiritual successor to Wasteland."

So no, they LUCKILY don't.

Fair enough, Atari then.

I love the degree to which Bioware whining has gotten. Tone it down guys, you sound like a bunch of 12-year-olds.

if this crash is a premonition of things to come i doubt it'll be what people are hoping for

ResonanceGames:
Fair enough, Atari then.

I love the degree to which Bioware whining has gotten. Tone it down guys, you sound like a bunch of 12-year-olds.

I haven't even begun my Bioware whining. Wait till March Madness kicks into gear. Then you'll see supreme whining.

Zeel:

ResonanceGames:
Fair enough, Atari then.

I haven't even begun my Bioware whining. Wait till March Madness kicks into gear. Then you'll see supreme whining.

oh god if this is toned down whining for you i think I'll need to stay away from those threads unless you get banned before then

Zeel:
Let Bioware do their fps shit.

Mass Effect is third person. Just sayin'.
OT: Looks good. I really should get around to finishing the games sometime.

ResonanceGames:
Fair enough, Atari then.

Thats and insult to 12 year olds . 12 year olds don't whine , they turn emo and cut themselves to get attention , something i wouldn't mind some of the whiners doing .

OT: im just gonna put my popcorn to syncronize with the countdown because no matter what it is it cannot live up to the expectation of Baulder gates fans .

So yeah, glad EA is not going anywhere near this one. Do we know who is actually making it? The website does not seem up to the traffic it's getting right now.

if it's not a re-release of some sort, then it doesn't necessarily have to continue the story of the bhaalspawn. that story was wrapped up rather well. Hopefully it's another top down isometric DnD RPG set in the gloriously awesome region of the Sword Coast.

Oh wow, totally excited for this! =D

And it'll show up before I have to go to class! YAY! Oh God I'm probably gonna need a new computer soooooo bad D=

Zeel:

ResonanceGames:
Fair enough, Atari then.

I'm really looking forward to seeing you banned for your actions during March Mayhem.
That is, if you hold true to your word.

Two hours left. My excitement is building.

I feel ten year younger and just as filled with na´ve hopes as I was back then! *fangirl squeal*

I run a D&D game that my coworkers are my players for. They have a bad habit of asking theoretical questions during the work day. Today, I've made a habit of answering using only lines from Baldur's Gate.

Player: "So, I'm thinking of that dragon council I'm trying to create to put an end to Xorvintaal. What if I spike the punch with love potion to try to mellow out the underlyng animosity?"
Me: "And in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny."

Player: "I have a plan to deal with our lunarcidal party member...(long explanation follows)"
Me: "The Lord of Murder shall perish..."

Player: "I think I know how to solve everything...(even more elaborate plan)"
Me: "Chaos shall be sown in their footsteps."

Player: "What class should my cohort be?"
Me: "Live by the sword, live a good loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time."

Player: "I'd like to use a divination spell during that downtime to try to figure out how best to hinder our big bad."
Me: "GO FOR THE EYES, BOO! GO FOR THE EYES!" (Referring of course to cutting off their ability to track the party and it's doings).

im really really curious to see what the heck it could be.. baldurs gate 3? but how exactly would you continue after the end of 2?

So, just so everyone doesn't get their hopes up to high, we're all in agreement that is probably an iPad port, right?

I mean, I want more Baldur's Gate as much as the next guy, but all the hints kinda point toward something Mac-related and something that has to do with the Infinity Engine, so...

Zeel:

Thank god. Let Bioware do their fps shit. Leave RPG's to RPG companies.

Edit: site is down for some reason.

Lol What was that Bioware FPS again?

How many non-RPG's have Bioware made again? Note that Mass Effect and Dragon age are Semi-RPG IP's

Try not to get too much nerd spit on your monitor when you're telling me how Mass Effect nor Dragon Age isn't even 1% RPG, It was so entertaining the last billion times you did it.

ResonanceGames:
So, just so everyone doesn't get their hopes up to high, we're all in agreement that is probably an iPad port, right?

I mean, I want more Baldur's Gate as much as the next guy, but all the hints kinda point toward something Mac-related and something that has to do with the Infinity Engine, so...

what hints point towards Mac?
I was under the impression they were more about the underdark or the plane of shadows or something to do with Lolth or the Drow. this does not indicate a Mac hint.
Maybe I didn't read something. what exactly are these hints towards the mac?

If this is a sequel and your characters can carry over, I'll have to get the original two and play them all over again. Yay and goodbye free time for the next few weeks. :)

I remember this series so fondly. You could irreparably screw things up and being evil really didn't pay.

Quakester:
If this is a sequel and your characters can carry over, I'll have to get the original two and play them all over again. Yay and goodbye free time for the next few weeks. :)

I remember this series so fondly. You could irreparably screw things up and being evil really didn't pay.

if this is a sequel (please please please please be a sequel), It is doubtful that it will involve the bhaalspawn. Presumably though, there will be an epic story that is again set in the sword coast.

Verzin:

Quakester:

if this is a sequel (please please please please be a sequel), It is doubtful that it will involve the bhaalspawn. Presumably though, there will be an epic story that is again set in the sword coast.

That's more likely, still carrying characters over was one of the great things about RPG's in the good old days. :)

Quakester:

That's more likely, still carrying characters over was one of the great things about RPG's in the good old days. :)

agreed! that would be epic. shamefully, I lost all my saves when I formatted my computer. <_> ah well. time to play through them all again.

unless it sticks with what ever rule edition they used for the others i doubt it'll be what people want since there is about a 100 years between the edition they used and the new one

Verzin:

ResonanceGames:

what hints point towards Mac?
I was under the impression they were more about the underdark or the plane of shadows or something to do with Lolth or the Drow. this does not indicate a Mac hint.
Maybe I didn't read something. what exactly are these hints towards the mac?

Just this one, but it is kind of a big one:

"The teasing of what the potential next Baldur's Gate game was also continued on Twitter; Oster posted a picture of an iMac, saying "What could we be developing that would require an iMac?" This tweet could mean a variety of things, from simply offering Mac support to running on one of Apple's mobile devices (perhaps iPad and iPhone support?)."

http://windows7themes.net/new-baldurs-gate-game-coming-first-details-music-and-possible-engine.html

Dexter111:
http://baldursgate.com/

So yeah, whatever it is, there's a countdown for it now :P

Probably making a 4E version, hopefully with everything updated to the current timeline...which is more than 100 years after BG2. And I'm mot counting the ones that came out for console.

Z

Verzin:

Quakester:

agreed! that would be epic. shamefully, I lost all my saves when I formatted my computer. <_> ah well. time to play through them all again.

I lost mine two computers ago. It'll be fun playing thru it again. I might go get the originals just to run thru it from the beginning once more.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked