"The Truth" for Mass Effect 3

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Yes, that's going to be the name of the magic DLC that will fix all the woes people have about the Mass Effect 3 endings. You'll be able to continue playing after the ending and it's adding a TON of multiplayer stuff including:

At least two new maps

Two new enemy types

Batarian and Geth Characters

AND IT'S ALL FREE PEOPLE!!

After all the venom I've heard spewed about Bioware and mass Effect 3 lately, Ive stayed positive and I'm so glad I have. Now I can act all smug when this turns out to be the endings we all wanted to see.

http://www.gamefront.com/rumor-mass-effect-3-dlc-the-truth-due-in-april/

Here's hoping April or May will make everything right with the galaxy

Looks like we're getting Geth Infiltrator and Engineer, Batarian Sentinel and Soldier, and a Krogan Battlemaster and Asari Justicar. I was really hoping for a Krogan Biotic, and it looks like we're getting one. I'm pretty anxious on seeing the two new enemy types.

An anonymous poster has added additional commentary on the image that not only purports to clarify what happened with ME3′s ending

Seems like a reliable source to me. If some guy says it on the internet, it must be true.

Excuse me while I read up on the time cube.

http://www.timecube.com/

Only a series as epic as ME can make a one to two month wait seem like a decade. In the words of Philip J. Fry "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" oh wait ITS FREE!!!!

Well, it's their only possible course of action after the epic shitstorm their shitty nonexistent writing in the last 5 minutes of the game set off. I'm not really that surprised--that's not to say I'm not overjoyed, though.

Off topic: What the hell? The Captchas are ads now? I just had to enter "$10 Dinner Box" from a pizza hut ad in order to post. AND THEN it wouldn't let me post until I answered the question "do you intend to order the $10 dinner box in the next 60 days?" Is this shit for real or did April Fools come a month early?

Then it turned out Bioware hired the same guy who titled all of the Capcon cases. He made another typo, by free he meant 3. 33 that is, for each character, and it only lasts for a month.

In all seriousness though it's nice to hear that they are releasing something for free, although this is the kind of stuff i'd expect to pay for.

This would be amazing and it would actually make a LOT of sense. There was a giant outcry over the leak so before it was released. It would make sense that they changed the ending so they could expand it later on, and blow people's friggin' minds.

Adding to this discussion, Mass Effect's twitter is now saying this to people who talk about the endings: "We are currently listening to opinions! How would you write the ME3 epilogue?"

Boomdeyah.

Jitters Caffeine:
Looks like we're getting Geth Infiltrator and Engineer, Batarian Sentinel and Soldier, and a Krogan Battlemaster and Asari Justicar. I was really hoping for a Krogan Biotic, and it looks like we're getting one. I'm pretty anxious on seeing the two new enemy types.

Hmmm, well I have mixed opinions about the Asari Justicar, since that was already the name of the base tree for the Asari Vanguard.... leading me to believe we already had Justicars, this seems to confuse matters more than anything.

That said, the Geth classes are cool, but fighting other Geth would be a little wonky given that by the time Geth would be joining N7 spec ops teams there wouldn't be any Geth warbands for them to fight.

This would also explain Mike Gamble's tweet about "Holding onto your ME3 copy forever."

So either they deliberately released an unfinished game with the intent to release this DLC later, or they're lying and this new DLC is a (rushed job) attempt to stop the s**tstorm of annoyed fans...

Decisions, decisions.

VonKlaw:
So either they deliberately released an unfinished game with the intent to release this DLC later, or they're lying and this new DLC is a (rushed job) attempt to stop the s**tstorm of annoyed fans...

Decisions, decisions.

The deliberation to release the unfinished game isn't actually bad. With so little time left until ship-date, they wouldn't possibly be able to remake the endings after the outcry of the community about the leaked endings with what little time they had left. This is probably also the reason there were hints that Shepard was indoctrinated.

But really, even if it looks to be rushed, can you really complain about a free epilogue?

Jitters Caffeine:
Yes, that's going to be the name of the magic DLC that will fix all the woes people have about the Mass Effect 3 endings. You'll be able to continue playing after the ending and it's adding a TON of multiplayer stuff including:

At least two new maps

Two new enemy types

After all the venom I've heard spewed about Bioware and mass Effect 3 lately, Ive stayed positive and I'm so glad I have. Now I can act all smug when this turns out to be the endings we all wanted to see.

Right now that's a baseless rumor. I'd LOVE to see that happen, but it would involve Bioware basically pulling a 360 on the statements they have already made... and honestly their attitude and the main storyline itself irked me more than the ending. I wrote a lengthy post on the subject in the gaming forum a little while ago if anyone is curious (which hopefully some people will be).

Basically I think the "best" ending is okay, but I consider Leng to be the downfall of the entire game and it's writing.

... and

It would make sense that they changed the ending so they could expand it later on, and blow people's friggin' minds.

No, it makes really makes no sense to alienate customers like that by selling a clearly unfinished product and not even noting it. If they add a new ending, they did so due to public pressure, not because it's a LONG SECRET PLANNN.

Deremix:

VonKlaw:

Decisions, decisions.

The deliberation to release the unfinished game isn't actually bad. With so little time left until ship-date, they wouldn't possibly be able to remake the endings after the outcry of the community about the leaked endings with what little time they had left. This is probably also the reason there were hints that Shepard was indoctrinated.

Which would be fine - I just suspect alot of people would have been happier if they'd have admited that the ending wasn't the real ending in the first place. Instead, however, they decided to hurl out comments basically along the lines of "we got yo money, screw you guys" and "you hated the ending? it was meant to be like that *insert awkward guilty whistling here*".

EDIT: Double post, bloody captchas.

Deremix:
But really, even if it looks to be rushed, can you really complain about a free epilogue?

If you don't mind my asking, if you were watching LOTR at the cinema, and it suddenly ended as Aragorn and co. are charging Mount Doom in Operation Massive Distration, and it then showed you a load of stuff that made no sense (e.g. Look, Gimli is with Frodo now!, the Witch-King isn't dead!)...

Would you be cool with them saying "Don't worry guys, give us a month or two and we'll hurl out the REAL ending. It's free so we're cool"?

Would be great if a) it is real and b) it will be really free, because I cant imagine the uproar if EA/BW will charge money for it.

If this is true and I take it with a very very fine grain of salt, if they had planned it this way all along, then I hope they have some massive flame shields over at bioware. They caught flak over the Day 1 DLC, now the "endings", and hell they caught flak about the ending before the game was ever released. I can pretty much say with the utmost certainty, so much that I kind of feel like a prophet, that if "The Truth" DLC is coming then bioware will receive soooo much crap for releasing a game with out an actual ending, despite that it is free. Don't get me wrong, people will be happy to have a new ending option but people will still find something to complain about. Finally I wouldn't put much stock in anything any of the writers or producers from bioware say about their products anymore. I mean after the PR fiasco that is Mass Effect 3 from my view point they seemed to mislead people if not promise what they couldn't deliver (even if they wanted to so much but had to change due to extenuating circumstances) too often.

captcha: pumpkin pie

mmmm pumpkin pie

Therumancer:

Jitters Caffeine:

At least two new maps

Two new enemy types

Right now that's a baseless rumor. I'd LOVE to see that happen, but it would involve Bioware basically pulling a 360 on the statements they have already made...

While I'm glad someone else is pointing out that it says rumor for a reason, I still feel compelled to point out that pulling a 360 would leave you facing exactly the same way you started. A 180 would be what you mean. Anyway, slight maths edit administered. Do carry on.

Seeing as they obviously only made this to shut up people about 'that other DLC' and not because they actually wanted to give something out for free, this doesn't change my opinion on how exploititive the EA market is.

They will still remain number one for worst public relations of any game developer/producer.

VonKlaw:

Deremix:

If you don't mind my asking, if you were watching LOTR at the cinema, and it suddenly ended as Aragorn and co. are charging Mount Doom in Operation Massive Distration, and it then showed you a load of stuff that made no sense (e.g. Look, Gimli is with Frodo now!, the Witch-King isn't dead!)...

Would you be cool with them saying "Don't worry guys, give us a month or two and we'll hurl out the REAL ending. It's free so we're cool"?

You're completely disregarding the lore of Mass Effect. If you factor that in, it's actually a brilliant piece of storytelling.

Therumancer:

Jitters Caffeine:

At least two new maps

Two new enemy types

Right now that's a baseless rumor. I'd LOVE to see that happen, but it would involve Bioware basically pulling a 360 on the statements they have already made... and honestly their attitude and the main storyline itself irked me more than the ending. I wrote a lengthy post on the subject in the gaming forum a little while ago if anyone is curious (which hopefully some people will be).

Basically I think the "best" ending is okay, but I consider Leng to be the downfall of the entire game and it's writing.

... and

yada yada avoid mod wrath because the real post is spoilered

Bioware hasn't confirmed or denied this yet. So either that means they don't know about the rumors yet or they do and are keeping it a secret. Hopefully they confirm or deny it rather quickly instead of making people wait.

I am going to consider the rumors false. That way if they do turn out to be real I will be pleasantly surprised.

As much as I'd like to see this happen, it is all rumour and conjecture at this point with not even really any sort of evidence to substantiate it.

Gamble's tweet "Holding onto your ME3 copy forever." just indicates that DLC will be coming. Which we knew anyway. All I'm saying is don't build your hopes up unneccessarily.

GoddyofAus:

VonKlaw:

Deremix:

You're completely disregarding the lore of Mass Effect. If you factor that in, it's actually a brilliant piece of storytelling.

You're right...my analogy would be better if instead of fading to black, Sauron (scrap that, some villian who is actually controlling him but has never been seen or mentioned before) suddenly appeared and said "Yo guys, i'm using orcs to destroy you so you don't make orcs who destroy you" or...something.

I'm mostly running on optimism. From what I've heard, the ending we got was a byproduct of being rushed by EA (to the point of outright threats and jobs being on the line if the deadline was missed) and Bioware being frustrated after all the leaks and harrassment them and their writers endured leading to the game's release.

Seeing things like that screenshot, the twitter updates about making sure you keep your copy forever, and all the free DLC that we got from Mass Effect 2 makes me think that it could be more than a rumor. Who knows? Why COULDN'T this be the magic DLC people have been demanding that will fix the story? People shouldn't be so goddamn negative all the goddamn time. Just wait and see. You literally lose nothing because it'll be free.

Therumancer:

Jitters Caffeine:

Hmmm, well I have mixed opinions about the Asari Justicar, since that was already the name of the base tree for the Asari Vanguard.... leading me to believe we already had Justicars, this seems to confuse matters more than anything.

That said, the Geth classes are cool, but fighting other Geth would be a little wonky given that by the time Geth would be joining N7 spec ops teams there wouldn't be any Geth warbands for them to fight.

Legion helped you fight Geth in the story, so why not? And about the Asari Justicar, I had the same reaction to it as well, but my guess is that it'll have a unique skill tree. I'm more excited about have the Krogan Battlemaster. You'll finally get to play as a Krogan Biotic.

This isn't an apology.

This is good business.

Because of the method of unlock for the multiplayer this is just sowing potential stuff you want without forcing your player base to split in two.

Those who want early access to the new content can put in a few dollars and unlock it, while the rest of us can get it by playing what is essentially free content for us.

Effectively letting those who can afford it pay and those who cant just add to the player base.

There is no guilt here. No asking for forgiveness. Just business as it should be.

I 100% steadfastly refuse to believe that it will be free. Just look at all that content. Come on.

Bioware may still be on my 'a grain of hope' watchlist but EA have long since sold their souls.

And come on. With a shit ending like that, you KNOW EA are going to cash in for the 'proper' ending. Because everyone. EVERYONE will buy it.

Draech:
This isn't an apology.

This is good business.

Because of the method of unlock for the multiplayer this is just sowing potential stuff you want without forcing your player base to split in two.

Those who want early access to the new content can put in a few dollars and unlock it, while the rest of us can get it by playing what is essentially free content for us.

Effectively letting those who can afford it pay and those who cant just add to the player base.

There is no guilt here. No asking for forgiveness. Just business as it should be.

I'm confused, are you defending or berating them? I honestly can't tell. You speaking in a very "matter of fact" way makes it impossible to tell.

That being said, I kind of like the way the multiplayer is. I COULD buy packs with MSpoints, but I don't have to. I can get anything I want with a little patience and playing a game. Sure the random nature of it can be rustrating if you're after a very specific weapon or character, but that just means you play the game some more. Sure, having it tie in with the Single Player could piss off people who maybe don't have internet access or just don't really care for the multiplayer, but since I DO like it, those people can eat me I guess.

I doubt it will be free.

kman123:
I 100% steadfastly refuse to believe that it will be free. Just look at all that content. Come on.

Bioware may still be on my 'a grain of hope' watchlist but EA have long since sold their souls.

And come on. With a shit ending like that, you KNOW EA are going to cash in for the 'proper' ending. Because everyone. EVERYONE will buy it.

Did you not have the Cerberus Network in Mass Effect 2? They gave away TONS of free DLC with that if you bought the game new. So I don't see why they would change the formula now.

Adam Jensen:
I doubt it will be free.

Refer to the above. There were tons of free DLC released to people who had the Cerberus Network in Mass Effect 2.

Jitters Caffeine:

kman123:

Did you not have the Cerberus Network in Mass Effect 2? They gave away TONS of free DLC with that if you bought the game new. So I don't see why they would change the formula now.

Adam Jensen:
I doubt it will be free.

Refer to the above. There were tons of free DLC released to people who had the Cerberus Network in Mass Effect 2.

That doesn't prove anything. I can still doubt it will be free.

Adam Jensen:

Jitters Caffeine:

kman123:

Adam Jensen:
I doubt it will be free.

That doesn't prove anything. I can still doubt it will be free.

Well, you can DO whatever you want. But that doesn't change the fact that there IS a history of Bioware giving away DLC for free.

Zaeed - The Price of Vengeance
Normandy Crash Site
Cerberus Weapon and Armor pack
Arc Projector
and the FireWalker Pack were all given to people who bought the game new. Honestly? I think it was a great system for getting people to buy New copies over used copies. It effectively devalued used copies by $15 for 5 DLC, one of which is a whole new Squadmate and another was one of the most haunting missions in the game.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here