"The Truth" for Mass Effect 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Jitters Caffeine:

Draech:
This isn't an apology.

This is good business.

Because of the method of unlock for the multiplayer this is just sowing potential stuff you want without forcing your player base to split in two.

Those who want early access to the new content can put in a few dollars and unlock it, while the rest of us can get it by playing what is essentially free content for us.

Effectively letting those who can afford it pay and those who cant just add to the player base.

There is no guilt here. No asking for forgiveness. Just business as it should be.

I'm confused, are you defending or berating them? I honestly can't tell. You speaking in a very "matter of fact" way makes it impossible to tell.

That being said, I kind of like the way the multiplayer is. I COULD buy packs with MSpoints, but I don't have to. I can get anything I want with a little patience and playing a game. Sure the random nature of it can be rustrating if you're after a very specific weapon or character, but that just means you play the game some more. Sure, having it tie in with the Single Player could piss off people who maybe don't have internet access or just don't really care for the multiplayer, but since I DO like it, those people can eat me I guess.

I hoped to do neither, so I feel good that it seems I accomplished that.

We can argue until the cows come home whether content was cut or not or if the ending was good (and people have) or if EA is ruining Bioware. But at the end of the day what we have to deal with is a single product that sold to us in s specific way.

And this is the same product they launched a few days ago. Selling it the same way they did then.

I personally like this business model, because it puts more power to the customer (more than we are entitled to really). It is more or less the same Model as League of Legends. It takes a huge amount of trust in your fanbase to release content for free and then just hope they pay it back.

Jitters Caffeine:

Zaeed - The Price of Vengeance
Normandy Crash Site
Cerberus Weapon and Armor pack
Arc Projector
Firewalker

Its important to note though that out of the ones you've listed the Zaeed DLC was the only thing that really felt to me like it brought anything of value to the game. Firewalker was atrocious and short, and the weapons packs overpowering, making the game quite easy on even the hardest difficulty.

Gotta admit, I am cautiously optimistic about this. If Bioware did do some sort of "staggered ending" then in my books, it would go down as the single greatest peice of storytelling I've every had the pleaure to be part of. I don't mean an 'oh shit they're angry, throw something together' patch, by the way, I mean a proper, planned and well-written ending that took advantage of how people play games over reading books or watching movies. And we will be able to tell the difference.

If they just said "ok, we fucked up. We got too wrapped up in our own ideas, got too involved with out story and just forgot to take on board critisism. We're going to re-write the ending for all of you," and patched the game with something nice, that would still be good. Yeah it would be wierd, but it's not the first time it would have happened (think director's cuts of movies) To my knowledge, it would be a first for games though. On the other hand, for the price of a little wierdness, the story gets a good ending and we can declare all the current confused mess non-cannon.

Even if they only added a 30 second epilogue (and I am very hopeful of this, given their tweets) that explains how all life isn't doomed, stuck in the Sol system for the rest of its short existance along with a small ending for the love interest and crew other than "look they're on a planet!" it would at least give some closure. Despite what I've written abobe I don't hate the endings... I think they're badly written, especially compared ot the rest of the game, but I don't hate them and having some closure on top of them would fix a lot.

goose4291:

Jitters Caffeine:

Normandy Crash Site
Arc Projector
Firewalker

Its important to note though that out of the ones you've listed the Zaeed DLC was the only thing that really felt to me like it brought anything of value to the game. Firewalker was atrocious and short, and the weapons packs overpowering, making the game quite easy on even the hardest difficulty.

I actually really liked Zaeed as a character. If you listen to him, you actually find out he has a history with another one of your Squadmates.

But I also really liked the Normandy Crash Site. All the flashbacks, finding out that Pressely eventually overcame his prejudices of aliens, setting up the monument, finding your old N7 helmet (which gets displayed in your penthouse after) and finding all the dogtags. It was really haunting if you ask me, and just kind of brought the destruction of the original SR1 and Shepard's subsequent return mean that much more.

Scabadus:
-snip-

See? That's the kind of optimism I'd really like to see out of this. People are just so goddamn cinical about this whole subject, they seem to refuse any possible good news.

If this is true, and that's a colossal if, then I will be appeased. Not enthusiastic, and certainly not ready to apologize for my vitriol, as a commenter in the rumour post demands. But them repairing this game in a satisfactory manner will make me consider purchasing their products in the future.

Free? I call bullshit.

I'll wait till Bioware actually announces it.

(And if it is true, I better go revert back to that save so I can actually choose the ending where I don't destroy the entire universe because the Decisions were very unclear)

JoesshittyOs:
Free? I call bullshit.

(And if it is true, I better go revert back to that save so I can actually choose the ending where I don't destroy the entire universe because the Decisions were very unclear)

They did TONS of free DLC with Mass Effect 2. It isn't so farfetched that they would give free DLC.

Jitters Caffeine:

JoesshittyOs:
Free? I call bullshit.

They did TONS of free DLC with Mass Effect 2. It isn't so farfetched that they would give free DLC.

Did they really? What was it exactly, because this is pretty crazy to me.

I'm about 90% sure this is fake. The source for the Polish site's info was a post on /v/ from 4chan. Hardly credible.

And does that honestly sound like something any sane company would do? They'd be much more likely to delay the release than rush an ending out and plan to fix it later via DLC. What about people with no internet connection? They'd have seen the inevitable shit storm of epic proportions coming.

We might get DLC to fix the ending, but I'm pretty sure it won't be part of some "real" ending Bioware originally intended but couldn't do because of the leak.

Multiplayer DLC is a certainty though, but that image looks very fake to me. Krogan Battlemaster and Asari Justicar? I think it's highly unlikely that Bioware will stray from the established MP and SP classes. They'll probably just add new races, expand which races can be which classes, and add new weapons/maps.

Edit: Also, to the above poster - the free DLC in ME2 wasn't just given because EA is a nice guy or something, it was an incentive to buy the online pass and give EA money if you bought the game used. The incentive for ME3 is multiplayer, thus free DLC is unlikely.

Valanthe:
If this is true, and that's a colossal if, then I will be appeased. Not enthusiastic, and certainly not ready to apologize for my vitriol, as a commenter in the rumour post demands. But them repairing this game in a satisfactory manner will make me consider purchasing their products in the future.

Now not to start this stuff up again, but...

You can bet money on it being "free". They will get their return through the Bioware Point system they have in place with the multiplayer. They expect some parts of the players base will have more money than time and just buy the packs (just like so many other free-to-play games).

Now what I find more puzzling is how you will qualify this as a "repair".

It means that the game was broken to begin with, but then the problem would be that some content wasn't free. Are we really going to argue content with a price tag on is "broken"?

Were we promised more than we got? No. We were very well informed from day one with high quality demos and info on what made the Collector edition different from the normal one.

The game alone has about 30 hours worth of content depending on how much of a completionist you are. Was that not enough to valid the price tag? And then need updates to fix it not being enough?

Could you please help me understand?

Jitters Caffeine:
Yes, that's going to be the name of the magic DLC that will fix all the woes people have about the Mass Effect 3 endings. You'll be able to continue playing after the ending and it's adding a TON of multiplayer stuff including:

At least two new maps

Two new enemy types

Batarian and Geth Characters

AND IT'S ALL FREE PEOPLE!!

After all the venom I've heard spewed about Bioware and mass Effect 3 lately, Ive stayed positive and I'm so glad I have. Now I can act all smug when this turns out to be the endings we all wanted to see.

http://www.gamefront.com/rumor-mass-effect-3-dlc-the-truth-due-in-april/

Here's hoping April or May will make everything right with the galaxy

I've heard about this, and atm I am fighting the depression from post-ME3. I just hope I wont have stopped caring when it arrives. And I have more or less ZERO hopes for it actually giving us a worthy ending.

Can it be good DLC? Sure. But that wont cut it at this point. I dont care about any more fluff. I want the ending. Period.

If it IS the ending though...and the indoctrination theory is true...it could be one of the most impressive feats in gaming history. I feel like I'm standing on 1mm ice above a freezing sea. Thats how slim my hope is. But if it happens...oh man. I might even forget about Diablo 3 for a while.

tzimize:

Jitters Caffeine:
Yes, that's going to be the name of the magic DLC that will fix all the woes people have about the Mass Effect 3 endings. You'll be able to continue playing after the ending and it's adding a TON of multiplayer stuff including:

At least two new maps

Two new enemy types

After all the venom I've heard spewed about Bioware and mass Effect 3 lately, Ive stayed positive and I'm so glad I have. Now I can act all smug when this turns out to be the endings we all wanted to see.

I've heard about this, and atm I am fighting the depression from post-ME3. I just hope I wont have stopped caring when it arrives. And I have more or less ZERO hopes for it actually giving us a worthy ending.

Can it be good DLC? Sure. But that wont cut it at this point. I dont care about any more fluff. I want the ending. Period.

If it IS the ending though...and the indoctrination theory is true...it could be one of the most impressive feats in gaming history. I feel like I'm standing on 1mm ice above a freezing sea. Thats how slim my hope is. But if it happens...oh man. I might even forget about Diablo 3 for a while.

I'm pretty optimistic about the whole thing right now. I was while everyone was up in arms about how having multiplayer would RUIN the game, and it turns out to be literal tons of fun. I'm actually looking forward to the new multiplayer stuff to be honest, and having what's supposed to be the "true" ending of the story will be great. Sure the ending we got first wasn't what I expected, but if this turns out to fix everything, I will stand smugly silent as everyone enjoys their helping of foot.

Therumancer:

Jitters Caffeine:
Looks like we're getting Geth Infiltrator and Engineer, Batarian Sentinel and Soldier, and a Krogan Battlemaster and Asari Justicar. I was really hoping for a Krogan Biotic, and it looks like we're getting one. I'm pretty anxious on seeing the two new enemy types.

Hmmm, well I have mixed opinions about the Asari Justicar, since that was already the name of the base tree for the Asari Vanguard.... leading me to believe we already had Justicars, this seems to confuse matters more than anything.

That said, the Geth classes are cool, but fighting other Geth would be a little wonky given that by the time Geth would be joining N7 spec ops teams there wouldn't be any Geth warbands for them to fight.

Actually it's outright stated there are still some isolated pockets of Geth infected by Reaper Code (to justify multiplayer enemy)

Please oh god be true, I forgot where I read this but even though this was sourced from 4chan it was from the same guy who was right on Lair of the Shadow Broker being DLC. But yeah, if it is half decent my faith in Bioware will be restored somewhat.

Draech:
snip

I'm tempted to just write "Here we go again," and leave it at that, but it seems I have enough energy to defend my position for a whort while longer. So, here we go again.

While them banking on making money with the Multiplayer is a good point, and perhaps a tick in favour of this rumour being slightly true, I am not holding my breath. Every other comment from Bioware/EA so far has amounted them burying their head in the sand and completely ignoring the massive outrage from their fans and basically stating that they thought the ending was perfectly fine, or even better, that they -meant- it to cause such outrage.

Now to your next point, I would qualify this ending as a repair because in mine and countless others eyes, the ending to this game is broken and ought to be fixed. This has nothing to do with getting more or less than promised, and certainly not a thing to do with the Collector's Edition, so I'm not sure where that came from, or even anything to with the other 29 hours and 50 minutes of gameplay. This has everything to do with them providing such a stellar experience for those 29 hours, and then in a single scene, throwing every damn choice, action, or plot point out the window and strapping on some backward ass God logic that is so messed up and out of place that it doesn't even seem like it's from the same game.

The three 'choices' at the end amount to pretty much nothing more than what colour explosion would you like, and in a game series that has always been about choices and consquence there-of, to have an ending that has absolutley nothing to with anything from the entire rest of the series is entirely and utterly stupid. Casey Hudson said he wanted the endings as they are to be 'unforgettable,' and he's certainly accomplished that. He's actually managed to top Lost and The Sopranos for the most dissapointing ending to an epic series in my list.

So yes, this ending -is- broken and needs to be repaired. At this point I would actually accept the contrived reboot of "it was all a dream/some kind of indoctrination test" as they would provide a phenominally more satisfying conclusion than "choose a colour and watch some incredibly vague cutscene that doesn't tell you a damn thing."

I think it's free because then they could prevent pirates from spoiling it early when they torrented Mass effect 3

Valanthe:

Draech:
snip

I'm tempted to just write "Here we go again," and leave it at that, but it seems I have enough energy to defend my position for a whort while longer. So, here we go again.

While them banking on making money with the Multiplayer is a good point, and perhaps a tick in favour of this rumour being slightly true, I am not holding my breath. Every other comment from Bioware/EA so far has amounted them burying their head in the sand and completely ignoring the massive outrage from their fans and basically stating that they thought the ending was perfectly fine, or even better, that they -meant- it to cause such outrage.

Now to your next point, I would qualify this ending as a repair because in mine and countless others eyes, the ending to this game is broken and ought to be fixed. This has nothing to do with getting more or less than promised, and certainly not a thing to do with the Collector's Edition, so I'm not sure where that came from, or even anything to with the other 29 hours and 50 minutes of gameplay. This has everything to do with them providing such a stellar experience for those 29 hours, and then in a single scene, throwing every damn choice, action, or plot point out the window and strapping on some backward ass God logic that is so messed up and out of place that it doesn't even seem like it's from the same game.

The three 'choices' at the end amount to pretty much nothing more than what colour explosion would you like, and in a game series that has always been about choices and consquence there-of, to have an ending that has absolutley nothing to with anything from the entire rest of the series is entirely and utterly stupid. Casey Hudson said he wanted the endings as they are to be 'unforgettable,' and he's certainly accomplished that. He's actually managed to top Lost and The Sopranos for the most dissapointing ending to an epic series in my list.

So yes, this ending -is- broken and needs to be repaired. At this point I would actually accept the contrived reboot of "it was all a dream/some kind of indoctrination test" as they would provide a phenominally more satisfying conclusion than "choose a colour and watch some incredibly vague cutscene that doesn't tell you a damn thing."

Ah but here is where my problem is.

I saw that first article that reported on petition to change the games ending compared it to the movie "misery". That is a pretty good comparison to be honest.

I think everyone got a little bit crazy. You mention Lost as an example of a bad ending. More people worldwide has seen Lost, yet we havn't seen a petition to change the ending of it.

It is insanity.

On your first note thou.

Is it really a wonder EA/Bioware stopped answering the hate mail?
"From ashes" DLC was judged BEFORE people knew what it was, and it was negative. Right now you go "and that is a big if". What is the point of responding to that? Especially when the best they could hope for is righteous contempt

"Not enthusiastic, and certainly not ready to apologize for my vitriol"
was your exact words even if they manage to make it better. Would you try to please someone with this attitude?
Look at the other comments in this thread. People are not only predicting failure, but actively hoping for it.

JoesshittyOs:

Jitters Caffeine:

JoesshittyOs:
Free? I call bullshit.

Did they really? What was it exactly, because this is pretty crazy to me.

Normandy Crash Site
Arc Projector
Firewalker

This is still very much a rumor. I've been told these claims originated for 4Chan, so take that with the appropriate amount of salt.

Jitters Caffeine:

goose4291:

Jitters Caffeine:

Normandy Crash Site
Arc Projector
Firewalker

I actually really liked Zaeed as a character. If you listen to him, you actually find out he has a history with another one of your Squadmates.

I'm sorry but I need some confirmation on this. I never heard this mentioned anywhere in game over several playthroughs and checked the Wiki again and found nothing on it. Where the hell does this come up?

On topic, if this is true, I'm going to be thrilled. I've been wanting Batarians ever since Multiplayer was announced so the chance to play one will be much appreciated.

While it would be nice if this rumor was indeed true, it is most likely not. BioWare has grown increasingly closed mouth about issues with their games and has generally trended towards public comments that are all but gauranteed to inflame their community. As an e.g. look at the article on this site quoting Casey Hudson saying "the ending(s) were meant to be divisive".

Additionally, over their last 3 releases, DA2, SW:TOR and ME3, all 3 have had issues that are PR nightmares. Those PR nightmares have caused BioWare to take huge hits to their image, reputation and brand loyalty. During all of this BioWare has not gone on record and said "oops we screwed up" let alone tried to make things right. What BioWare has done are give responses to the issues that only serve to piss off more people and generate more bad press and loss of reputation. It's sad really that a company that was once revered and held up as an example of "how to do it right" is now being held up as a company "of what not to do".

Do they need to do something for ME3 that serves to restore their community's/customer's faith in them? Absolutely. If they did so it would be the smartest business decision they've made in the last 2 years.

I'm gonna hold on to hope, but I won't be surprised if the rug gets pulled out from under me.

VonKlaw:
So either they deliberately released an unfinished game with the intent to release this DLC later, or they're lying and this new DLC is a (rushed job) attempt to stop the s**tstorm of annoyed fans...

Decisions, decisions.

Or it's not really true and this anonymous claim that hasn't been made official turns out to be nothing but a troll attempt.

Chicago Ted:

Jitters Caffeine:

goose4291:

I'm sorry but I need some confirmation on this. I never heard this mentioned anywhere in game over several playthroughs and checked the Wiki again and found nothing on it. Where the hell does this come up?

On topic, if this is true, I'm going to be thrilled. I've been wanting Batarians ever since Multiplayer was announced so the chance to play one will be much appreciated.

What he said is completely false. Cerberus attacked the Quarian Flotilla to get Gillian Grayson in the second novel. Had nothing to do with Jack.

This is something that I pray to god will be true but I'm going to save my squeeing until Bioware makes the announcement. Also one explination for the ending is the writers being frustrated with the constant harassment by the haters...ok, the endings still piss me off but at least that kinda makes sense.

erttheking:
This is something that I pray to god will be true but I'm going to save my squeeing until Bioware makes the announcement. Also one explination for the ending is the writerss being frustrated with the constant harassment by the haters...ok, the endings still piss me off but at least that kinda makes sense.

That makes sense? You're annoyed by spiteful fans, so you deliberately submarine your highest profile, critically respected and popularly revered IP? That'll show those snooty fans! Ha! Now who's laughing?

BloatedGuppy:

erttheking:
This is something that I pray to god will be true but I'm going to save my squeeing until Bioware makes the announcement. Also one explination for the ending is the writerss being frustrated with the constant harassment by the haters...ok, the endings still piss me off but at least that kinda makes sense.

That makes sense? You're annoyed by spiteful fans, so you deliberately submarine your highest profile, critically respected and popularly revered IP? That'll show those snooty fans! Ha! Now who's laughing?

Hence the "the endings still piss me off" part of my comment.

I already posted this! This is an outrage!

Chicago Ted:

Jitters Caffeine:

goose4291:

I'm holding on to my optimism for right now. I'm hoping It'll pay off in the end

FelixG:

Therumancer:

Jitters Caffeine:

At least two new maps

Two new enemy types

Right now that's a baseless rumor. I'd LOVE to see that happen, but it would involve Bioware basically pulling a 360 on the statements they have already made... and honestly their attitude and the main storyline itself irked me more than the ending. I wrote a lengthy post on the subject in the gaming forum a little while ago if anyone is curious (which hopefully some people will be).

Basically I think the "best" ending is okay, but I consider Leng to be the downfall of the entire game and it's writing.

... and

yada yada avoid mod wrath because the real post is spoilered

Well you can kind of extrapolate an encounter with Harbinger.

EA releasing something for free?

I'll believe it when i see it.

Navvan:

FelixG:

Therumancer:

Right now that's a baseless rumor. I'd LOVE to see that happen, but it would involve Bioware basically pulling a 360 on the statements they have already made... and honestly their attitude and the main storyline itself irked me more than the ending. I wrote a lengthy post on the subject in the gaming forum a little while ago if anyone is curious (which hopefully some people will be).

Basically I think the "best" ending is okay, but I consider Leng to be the downfall of the entire game and it's writing.

... and

yada yada avoid mod wrath because the real post is spoilered

Well you can kind of extrapolate an encounter with Harbinger.

more yada real text in spoiler

Loop Stricken:
I already posted this! This is an outrage!

Our links actually ARE different, so there's that. At least this might get people talking a little.

Draech:

Ah but here is where my problem is.

I saw that first article that reported on petition to change the games ending compared it to the movie "misery". That is a pretty good comparison to be honest.

I presume are referring to the female lead of Misery, and the fact she forced the author to rewrite his book. While yes, on a very general level, there is similarity. Once you look past that very general first glance, you'll notice some very key differences. The biggest difference is that it was a single crazed fan who demanded such a change. This is not one voice in a crowd, this is a majority of the fans. There is a saying that if you are the only voice in a crowd of people crying the opposite of you, then it may not be they who are in the wrong.

I think everyone got a little bit crazy. You mention Lost as an example of a bad ending. More people worldwide has seen Lost, yet we havn't seen a petition to change the ending of it.

It is insanity.

While you are correct that some of the more 'extreme' protests of this are very much that, a little too extreme, the overlying theme is the same, people are unhappy with something, and they are expressing their discontent. And as a case in that direction, enough people were angered about the endings of that and the Sopranos that myself, someone who's not even watched a full episode of either, heard about it.

On your first note thou.

Is it really a wonder EA/Bioware stopped answering the hate mail?
"From ashes" DLC was judged BEFORE people knew what it was, and it was negative. Right now you go "and that is a big if". What is the point of responding to that? Especially when the best they could hope for is righteous contempt

Firstly, the hatred for the Day One DLC is an entirely different kettle of fish, and I actually defended Bioware's stance on that, and still do. Secondly, the "big if" from my first post is expressing my skepticism of the legitimacy of the rumour.

"Not enthusiastic, and certainly not ready to apologize for my vitriol"
was your exact words even if they manage to make it better. Would you try to please someone with this attitude?
Look at the other comments in this thread. People are not only predicting failure, but actively hoping for it.

I maintain my stance. Just as a bandaid does not stop the hurt from a skinned knee, neither would a DLC negate the fact the endings are terrible unless it is something that completely blows it out of the water. I have a policy that if I am stung once, I don't stick my hand back in the water without good reason and caution. So while I cannot speak for anyone else in this thread, I maintain that Bioware stung me once with that shit ending, so I am not going to raise my hopes at this unfounded, anonymous rumour that they 'might' be fixing the ending.

If this is true, it might be the single most (evil) brilliant thing I have ever heard. It will give me exactly what I want, and if its good, my stupid monkey brain will receive the gratification it wants and will forever associate that feeling with Bioware. Intellectually realizing this will do nothing to change it, and Bioware will subsequently have a hold on me and my money for all time. Damn you all...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked