"The Truth" for Mass Effect 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Draech:
I think everyone got a little bit crazy. You mention Lost as an example of a bad ending. More people worldwide has seen Lost, yet we havn't seen a petition to change the ending of it.

Facile comparison. People need to stop comparing this to books, films and television. Those narratives always have a single fixed end point. Games are different. Not only are they a more fluid medium that can be constantly added to, modded, etc, but especially in the case of a game like Mass Effect there is no single "canonical" representation of events. Two different games of Mass Effect may contain hundreds upon hundreds of deviations from one another. Different people die, certain key events resolve in different ways, etc. Asking them to expand upon or allow for a different resolution in this medium is not even remotely on the same plane as asking Lieber and Abrams to re-write Lost.

Bethesda completely changed the ending of Fallout 3. COMPLETELY. And no one batted an eye, and everyone preferred the new ending.

If it fixes the ending, hell yeah I'll be playing Multiplayer.

Jitters Caffeine:

goose4291:

Jitters Caffeine:

Zaeed - The Price of Vengeance
Normandy Crash Site
Cerberus Weapon and Armor pack
Arc Projector
Firewalker

Its important to note though that out of the ones you've listed the Zaeed DLC was the only thing that really felt to me like it brought anything of value to the game. Firewalker was atrocious and short, and the weapons packs overpowering, making the game quite easy on even the hardest difficulty.

I actually really liked Zaeed as a character. If you listen to him, you actually find out he has a history with another one of your Squadmates.

Wrong, the reason that Cerberus attacked the Flotilla was to capture Gillian Grayson (the adopted daughter of Paul Grayson) who is one of the most powerfull human biotics. Read Mass Effect: Ascension. Kahlee Sanders, Jon Grissom Academy and the Ascension Project are also part of it.

OT: I think this is just rumor and I don't put a lot of faith in it. It would be great if true, but I don't see EA giving the OK to give anything away for free after release.

I'm not believing it until I see it with my own 2 eyes. But if this is true... FUCK YEAH!

Still kind of takes the piss that the real ending is in DLC though. Yes, it's good that it's free, but still the ending is an essential, if not the most essential, part of any narrative, so to not have it there on the disc from the beginning just seems, wrong...

However, I will forgive them if this is true, and the ending doesn't suck this time. I don't necessarily want a cliched happy ending, but I do want an ending that makes sense, and that doesn't make me feel like the price I paid to stop the Reapers was just as bad as letting the Reapers win.

It would also be nice to have some hope that my Shep and Liara can have all those little blue children someday. Again, not asking for them to ride off into the sunset, just some hope that you guys didn't make me love her so much for nothing. Because seriously, when that "to find someplace very far away" line came up I was like 'Ok, screw Cerberus, screw the Reapers! There someone else's problem now. Now I'm going to go elope with Liara if you don't mind.'

Thoric485:
EA releasing something for free?

I'll believe it when i see it.

They HAVE done it before. With Mass Effect 2. A whole 5 free DLC if you bought the game new.

Sniff sniff, smell that? Smells a lot like a nasty troll, a troll by the name of 4chan.

So this will bring us:

Batarians, Protheans, and Geth as playable races
Asari Justicar and Krogan Battlemaster classes
Some DLC weapons will be found in Multiplayer Packs
At least one new map
2 new enemy types for Multiplayer
Fixed/Added on Ending(s)
And a side/main mission available during Single Player

All for free?

If this is all true, then I'll be one super happy Mass Effect Fan. Though I'll keep my expectations low (in truth however, I'm pretty excited right now, lol) in case they do decide to charge for it. Sure they have given us free stuff or very cheap stuff in the past, but when I look at what we're getting...I can't help but think there is going to be some catch. If they do charge it, please don't be expensive.

Of course, this is assuming that this is all true. While I can't rule it out, I'm just a bit wary. Sadly, something tells me I'm going to believe its true, simply for the chance of a better ending.

Basically, I'm hoping for a lot with this, but it is a blind hope; if fake I'll probably be even more saddened at ME3 than I already am.

Before geth: No interest in Multiplayer.

Hearing rumors about geth: Mild Nerd boner.

Also we're all assuming that this is a 'fix' to the ending. And not what they had planned in the first place. Again that's mostly if the Indoctrination theory holds out.

Xathos:
So this will bring us:

At least one new map
Fixed/Added on Ending(s)

All for free?

If this is all true, then I'll be one super happy Mass Effect Fan. Though I'll keep my expectations low (in truth however, I'm pretty excited right now, lol) in case they do decide to charge for it. Sure they have given us free stuff or very cheap stuff in the past, but when I look at what we're getting...I can't help but think there is going to be some catch. If they do charge it, please don't be expensive.

Of course, this is assuming that this is all true. While I can't rule it out, I'm just a bit wary. Sadly, something tells me I'm going to believe its true, simply for the chance of a better ending.

Basically, I'm hoping for a lot with this, but it is a blind hope; if fake I'll probably be even more saddened at ME3 than I already am.

No shame in being a little optimistic

Really, I would have settled for "Shepard dies setting off the Crucible, destroying the reapers AND ONLY THE REAPERS, saving the galaxy."

Jitters Caffeine:

Xathos:
So this will bring us:

At least one new map
Fixed/Added on Ending(s)

All for free?

No shame in being a little optimistic

Oh, I'm VERY optimistic. Just don't want to be a bit too optimistic, lol.

Bobic:

An anonymous poster has added additional commentary on the image that not only purports to clarify what happened with ME3′s ending

Seems like a reliable source to me. If some guy says it on the internet, it must be true.

Excuse me while I read up on the time cube.

http://www.timecube.com/

My eyes have been opened.

I now understand the meaning of life.

TIMECUBE

Normally, I wouldn't give a baseless rumor like this a second thought but first of all, I want this to be true.
Second, it does make a bit sense. After the leaked script, they rushed this ending (it really feels rushed) to have more time to make the real ending as DLC, Casey Hudson said to keep the save files (of course this could also just be for single player DLC which doesn't have anything to do with the ending) and some people from Bioware have been saying some cryptic things on twitter, things which could be interpreted as hints for this.

Of course, I don't believe it until I see a statement from Bioware about this but I won't immediately debunk it as a troll attempt.

Edit:

Jitters Caffeine:

Thoric485:
EA releasing something for free?

I'll believe it when i see it.

They HAVE done it before. With Mass Effect 2. A whole 5 free DLC if you bought the game new.

That was mostly to prevent second hand sale. Now with Origin, they don't have to do that anymore.

Firstly, this is a rumour to be treated with less than a pinch of salt.

That out the way, let's assume this is real: Even if they do release a "real" ending after the events that ended ME3, it would be incredibly hard to make an ending that satisfied all the haters. After all, we know the mass relays are destroyed, so they'd have to retcon that, and thye could never undo the bullshit they pulled with the repears being proto-humans who only capture to stop synthetics destroying all life, which in itself is bullshit logic, because clearly the reapers are synthetics who do not wipe out organic life, etc. etc.

BloatedGuppy:

Draech:
I think everyone got a little bit crazy. You mention Lost as an example of a bad ending. More people worldwide has seen Lost, yet we havn't seen a petition to change the ending of it.

Facile comparison. People need to stop comparing this to books, films and television. Those narratives always have a single fixed end point. Games are different. Not only are they a more fluid medium that can be constantly added to, modded, etc, but especially in the case of a game like Mass Effect there is no single "canonical" representation of events. Two different games of Mass Effect may contain hundreds upon hundreds of deviations from one another. Different people die, certain key events resolve in different ways, etc. Asking them to expand upon or allow for a different resolution in this medium is not even remotely on the same plane as asking Lieber and Abrams to re-write Lost.

Bethesda completely changed the ending of Fallout 3. COMPLETELY. And no one batted an eye, and everyone preferred the new ending.

I am sorry that doesn't hold water.

Specific games are more or less free form sandboxes, but this game is an example of a game with a narrative and an overarching plot. there is indeed cannon and fans were outraged when it wasn't followed (The ME books mishaps).

We have no more control over this than we have over the Lost series. And that fans decide to write fanfics has no say either.

If you really think you are adding to the ME exp rather than experinecing it then you are deluded.

Draech:

Specific games are more or less free form sandboxes, but this game is an example of a game with a narrative and an overarching plot. there is indeed cannon and fans were outraged when it wasn't followed (The ME books mishaps).

We have no more control over this than we have over the Lost series. And that fans decide to write fanfics has no say either.

If you really think you are adding to the ME exp rather than experinecing it then you are deluded.

Few things.

1. Canon. Canon. Canon. Not Cannon.

2. Yes, this game had a narrative and a plot. A narrative and plot that was, to some degree, player selected and player driven. In fact, this was one of the primary if not THE primary pillar of game play, and featured heavily in all their advertising. There is no "canonical" Mass Effect storyline for Shepard, because everyone's Shepard experience is different.

3. Who is saying anything about control? It's changeable. The medium is different, and there is precedent for it being changed.

4. Hey sweet, a personal attack. Keep it up buddy, you're coming off as incredibly mature.

I'm calling bullshit on this, while I believe the multiplayer part for Bioware has confirmed multiplayer DLC, I'll believe it when I see it about the singleplayer stuff.

Know this all you starry eyed dreamers: faith is for gambling men. And as any gambling man will tell you, it almost never pays off. And that goes equally for faith in gods, men, and ideals. It seems like the message in all this is "expect disappointment but pay full price anyway... and like it". And that's not just from the developer's side of the argument, a not small portion of the audience seems to be spreading this message to each other.

BloatedGuppy:

Draech:

Few things.

1. Canon. Canon. Canon. Not Cannon.

2. Yes, this game had a narrative and a plot. A narrative and plot that was, to some degree, player selected and player driven. In fact, this was one of the primary if not THE primary pillar of game play, and featured heavily in all their advertising. There is no "canonical" Mass Effect storyline for Shepard, because everyone's Shepard experience is different.

3. Who is saying anything about control? It's changeable. The medium is different, and there is precedent for it being changed.

4. Hey sweet, a personal attack. Keep it up buddy, you're coming off as incredibly mature.

1: when you dont have an argument comment on someone grammar and/or spelling. Ace in the hole always.

2. That is ridicules. The player cant do anything that hasn't already been decided for them. You do not get to carry your choices on outside the medium. You fail lvl 1 and decided to never play again it doesn't become canon that Shepard died and the galaxy was doomed.
You can make the best Shepard story of them all. Doesn't matter. Still Bioware who wrote it for you. You have no real influence.

3: Special pleading. MY MEDIUM IS DIFFERENT! The precedent for it being change is always the original authors. Usually to cash in (fallout was no different).

4: My apologise

Draech:
1: when you dont have an argument comment on someone grammar and/or spelling. Ace in the hole always.

2. That is ridicules. The player cant do anything that hasn't already been decided for them. You do not get to carry your choices on outside the medium. You fail lvl 1 and decided to never play again it doesn't become canon that Shepard died and the galaxy was doomed.
You can make the best Shepard story of them all. Doesn't matter. Still Bioware who wrote it for you. You have no real influence.

3: Special pleading. MY MEDIUM IS DIFFERENT! The precedent for it being change is always the original authors. Usually to cash in (fallout was no different).

1. I addressed your argument. I also addressed your extremely annoying spelling error. Both those things can be true at the same time. Look, people need to not get butt-hurt every time someone corrects their spelling or grammar. It's a common misspelling and it looks ridiculous. Just fix it and move on.

2. I have no idea what on earth you are trying to argue here. We are discussing whether or not there is a single, definitive canonical version of Mass Effect that CANNOT BE CHANGED, and there is NOT. Games are not a fixed medium. They are not analogues for television shows or films or books. That is the matter up for discussion. Not whether or not people think they are secretly writing the game.

3. Actually in Fallout it was to address (pun not intentional) the fan fallout over an extremely poorly realized and poorly implemented ending. Regardless, the point up for discussion is not what the ultimate motivations of the developer are in doing this, be it further profit, brand protection, fan mollification, etc. It's whether or not you can do it without compromising the artistic vision of your narrative. Gaming is uniquely fluid in its ability to change in this respect, allow for multiple resolutions. It is not comparable to traditional media in this respect.

BloatedGuppy:

Draech:

1. I addressed your argument. I also addressed your extremely annoying spelling error. Both those things can be true at the same time. Look, people need to not get butt-hurt every time someone corrects their spelling or grammar. It's a common misspelling and it looks ridiculous. Just fix it and move on.

2. I have no idea what on earth you are trying to argue here. We are discussing whether or not there is a single, definitive canonical version of Mass Effect that CANNOT BE CHANGED, and there is NOT. Games are not a fixed medium. They are not analogues for television shows or films or books. That is the matter up for discussion. Not whether or not people think they are secretly writing the game.

3. Actually in Fallout it was to address (pun not intentional) the fan fallout over an extremely poorly realized and poorly implemented ending. Regardless, the point up for discussion is not what the ultimate motivations of the developer are in doing this, be it further profit, brand protection, fan mollification, etc. It's whether or not you can do it without compromising the artistic vision of your narrative. Gaming is uniquely fluid in its ability to change in this respect, allow for multiple resolutions. It is not comparable to traditional media in this respect.

1: and you called me childish...

2: Let me put this way.

What choice can you make in game that the author didn't write for you? None.

3: Hate to burst your bubble, but fallout was changed to accommodate DLC.
They never loved you mate.... just wanted your money

VonKlaw:
So either they deliberately released an unfinished game with the intent to release this DLC later, or they're lying and this new DLC is a (rushed job) attempt to stop the s**tstorm of annoyed fans...

Decisions, decisions.

One rumor states that they planned for this because of the leaks. Make the ending separate from the main game with a DLC. I heard about this even before the game was released. I'm not saying it's true, but I don't blame Bioware if this was thieir plan all along.

I don't give a damn about the multiplayer. The only reason the MP matters at all is to raise Galactic Readiness so that I could reach the ending of the game without dying.

Except havig Shepard die before seeing that wretched final five minutes would have been a better ending anyway.

Jitters 'EDI' Caffeine:
Yes, that's going to be the name of the magic DLC that will fix all the woes people have about the Mass Effect 3 endings. You'll be able to continue playing after the ending and it's adding a TON of multiplayer stuff including:

At least two new maps

Two new enemy types

Batarian and Geth Characters

AND IT'S ALL FREE PEOPLE!!

After all the venom I've heard spewed about Bioware and mass Effect 3 lately, Ive stayed positive and I'm so glad I have. Now I can act all smug when this turns out to be the endings we all wanted to see.

http://www.gamefront.com/rumor-mass-effect-3-dlc-the-truth-due-in-april/

Here's hoping April or May will make everything right with the galaxy

Jitters 'EDI' Caffeine:
That was a joke.

Smeggs:
I don't give a damn about the multiplayer. The only reason the MP matters at all is to raise Galactic Readiness so that I could reach the ending of the game without dying.

Except havig Shepard die before seeing that wretched final five minutes would have been a better ending anyway.

I find multi fun, but to each their own.

Before hearing about the Indoctrination being real, I was very disappointed with the Ending, now Im really happy with it.

While this all seems too good to be true, can't help but have hope.

"You've put the people together, the vision - and what you've done Shepard, is build hope."

(cookie if you know who said it and when)

So some random dude posts stuff on some random forum. And everyone picks it up as truth. Man people are desperate.

hey watch this:

"We here at Bioware had to conform to a timetable set up by EA when we produced Mass Effect 3. Our original intent was to allow the players to assemble their own squad including any of their former squad mates and not just the ones we provided in the base game. Our latest DLC will open up the ability to recruit anyone as a squad mate.

We are also opening up class types in multiplayer to more accurately reflect the races and their particular strengths. We apologize for not releasing the Krogan Vanguard class before however testing constraints made it impossible at the time. It was always our intention to rectify this mistake through DLC.

All that content, and this might as well be labeled an expansion pack.

And it's free.

You're welcome."

Quick guys, spread the message around. ^ that right there is proof of Biowares intentions guys.

LHZA:

One rumor states that they planned for this because of the leaks. Make the ending separate from the main game with a DLC. I heard about this even before the game was released. I'm not saying it's true, but I don't blame Bioware if this was thieir plan all along.

Of course, I'm sure it was all a calculated ploy to reduce sales.

soren7550:
While this all seems too good to be true, can't help but have hope.

"You've put the people together, the vision - and what you've done Shepard, is build hope."

(cookie if you know who said it and when)

It was...

Yeah, I'll hope. But I just...don't know how I'll be if its all a lie.

If its true and the endings in that DLC are at least tolerable, I demand someone make a comic of a Bioware employee stepping onto a crowd of angry fans and say "Ah yes Mass Effect 3, an game whose endings have been said destroy how a person feels about the whole series, we have dismissed that claim" and plop that DLC into the hands of fans.

Oooh, when I imagine that...no, no. Can't get too hopeful afterall. Lol.

Bobic:

An anonymous poster has added additional commentary on the image that not only purports to clarify what happened with ME3′s ending

Seems like a reliable source to me. If some guy says it on the internet, it must be true.

What the hell is that time cube thing? I clicked on it out of curiosity and was transported to this strange land full of blabbering nonsense and horrible website architecture.

ruthaford_jive:

Bobic:

What the hell is that time cube thing? I clicked on it out of curiosity and was transported to this strange land full of blabbering nonsense and horrible website architecture.

Unfortunately, that's the point. People just seem to be so goddamn adamant about not wanting and not LETTING people be even a little optimistic about this even possibly being true.

Nfritzappa:
If it fixes the ending, hell yeah I'll be playing Multiplayer.

Have you played it at all yet? It's actually really fun.

Zen Toombs:

Jitters 'EDI' Caffeine:
Yes, that's going to be the name of the magic DLC that will fix all the woes people have about the Mass Effect 3 endings. You'll be able to continue playing after the ending and it's adding a TON of multiplayer stuff including:

At least two new maps

Two new enemy types

Batarian and Geth Characters

AND IT'S ALL FREE PEOPLE!!

After all the venom I've heard spewed about Bioware and mass Effect 3 lately, Ive stayed positive and I'm so glad I have. Now I can act all smug when this turns out to be the endings we all wanted to see.

http://www.gamefront.com/rumor-mass-effect-3-dlc-the-truth-due-in-april/

Here's hoping April or May will make everything right with the galaxy

Jitters 'EDI' Caffeine:
That was a joke.

Wait, what exactly are you insinuating here? I'm staying positive that this could be real and that it very easily could fix the problems people have with the game.

I thought this whole DLC leak was originated on 4chan and established to be bullshit?

Unfortunately, that's the point. People just seem to be so goddamn adamant about not wanting and not LETTING people be even a little optimistic about this even possibly being true.

Well, I've never met more cynics, asses, devil's advocates and downers than on this site, so I guess it fits the mold.

Jitters Caffeine:

Zen Toombs:

OP

Jitters 'EDI' Caffeine:
That was a joke.

Wait, what exactly are you insinuating here? I'm staying positive that this could be real and that it very easily could fix the problems people have with the game.

I'm insinuating nothing. I'm saying that this seems to be a blatant joke/lie.

I didn't like the ending, it provided no closure. I didn't want sunshine and bunnies and pie, but I did want closure over this game I've put so much into. I do want Bioware to give a proper ending to the series, but we'll see what happens.

However, this DLC is not going to be it. For one, it promises exactly what "the people" want, from a proper ending to Geth characters to Krogan biotics. Besides, they called it "THE TRUTH". There are far too many red flags for this to be legitimate, especially when the only evidince is one source from something easily photoshopped.

Don't get me wrong, I want Bioware to do something. And honestly, they probably will. But salvation will not come from "The Truth".

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked