YES! 'Ys: The Oath in Felghana' is coming to STEAM!

Prepare your wallets. Your Steam just got a little more awesome. Ys, a classic group of important RPG heritage, is coming to Steam.

And not only that, but XSEED games in general may be coming to Steam.

That means the possibility of Wizardry, Wild Arms, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, Ivy the Kiwi?, and a plethora of other games(namely, Nihon Falcom's PC library). ON STEAM.

But for starters, the very worthy Ys: The Oath in Felghana and Ys Origin is coming to Steam March 19th. Again, get your wallets ready for awesome.

Edit: Good idea. Here's a trailer of the game that's coming on Steam this coming Monday.

oh my fuck yes
if only I had a way to pay for them

so much fun had in Ys
fuck Ys 2, though, never could get past the ruins at the beginning

I never played Ys, but I've heard it was like the amazing lovechild of Zelda II and the rest of the series, which is almost impossible to go wrong with. This sounds cool. I'm much more interested in the Wild Arms series, though; I've wanted to try that since I saw an ad for it in the back of an old gaming magazine[1], but as such an old series, it's kind of hard to find. Not to mention expensive; is there a single non-Squaresoft or Sony RPG on the PS1 that can be had for a reasonable price? Not that the prices for the FF games are reasonable, but if you look at most other series, the price is downright obscene.

Edit: Wizardry would be a nice bonus as well, and that Kiwi game sounds familiar, although I can't quite place it.

[1] games that the ads have really gotten me interested in is a short list. It's got Wild Arms, Fear Effect, Vanguard Bandits and not much else on it.

Took a look at the trailer - this looks like a lot of fun!

Owyn_Merrilin:
and that Kiwi game sounds familiar, although I can't quite place it.

Feels kinda funny that the first person I'm deciding to quote is not related to the topic title.

While the announcement from XSEED does seem somewhat focused on Nihon Falcom games, the whole announcement, does, on the other hand, show a general interest in porting games to Steam, not just Nihon Falcom. And I don't think there's any reason to assume otherwise, that XSEED aren't interested in bringing non-Nihon Falcom games to the PC and Steam. I would personally pay more attention to the XSEED Games to Start Publishing on Steam quote, rather than just the "People have been asking for Falcom's great catalog of PC games to be officially made available in English for a long time", though it does show they might be a bit more interested in Nihon Falcom's titles, at least first. I don't think this is reason to assume they'll stick with putting only Nihon Falcom titles on Steam. Other than perhaps surmounting the difficulty of aiding console only titles to PC compatibility.

Ivy the Kiwi? is one of those non-Nihon Falcom titles that XSEED is in charge of so to speak. That would be perfect for PC and Steam. Because the game is basically cursor-centric. The game can pretty well be played with the mouse, and would probably be easier than playing with the Wiimote. It's basically like Lemmings, except that instead of the various commands you use in Lemmings to save them from death, you use vines with your cursor to lead a little bird hatchling along to safety. It's one of those simple, mechanic based games, which sells based upon game mechanic alone.

It's a fairly unusual and interesting game. Like a lot of the so called "casual"(I hate that term) games on Steam which are mechanic based. It'd be worth dropping $1-15 dollars on. Especially if it's around $5 on a Steam sale or something. It's definitely one of the best cursor based games out there.

Owyn_Merrilin:
Edit: Wizardry would be a nice bonus as well

Yes, especially as Wizardry is a computer RPG series to begin with. It would be very appropriate to have it on Steam.

teh_Canape:
if only I had a way to pay for them

Aw, well, I hope you can afford it soon.

Edit: Hope I don't threadkill.

I saw this last night on Siliconera and my only reaction was "XSEED!! TAKE ALL OF THE MONEY!!"

I already have Ys3 on PSP, and I thank the PSP for bringing me into the Ys series and all its fucking awesomeness. I will gladly buy Ys3 again because it is arguably the best one in the series (7 is my personal fav), and hardest to boot. Seriously, get ready to know some real difficulty lol.

Although I am more excited for Origin. First time ever that it will have an official english release and translation. Means I can acquire it legally without any fan made patches, and XSEED/Falcom get all the moniez.

Oath in Felghana on the 19th and Sumioni on the 20th? Gonna be a great gaming week.

Oh and also, DAT SOUNDTRACK!! Falcom JDK music team are up there as one of the best music teams in the industry. Ys3s soundtrack will rock you. Watching that trailer was kind of nostalgic, and Valestein Castles theme is awesome.

Kahunaburger:
Took a look at the trailer - this looks like a lot of fun!

You have no idea. This game doesn't pull any punches, fast and frenetic fights, and some of the best boss fights in any game. I like to describe it as Old school Zelda (the top down ones) on steroids.

-Seraph-:

You have no idea. This game doesn't pull any punches, fast and frenetic fights, and some of the best boss fights in any game. I like to describe it as Old school Zelda (the top down ones) on steroids.

Awesome - those are the best Zeldas anyway :)

You are celebrating a game that's already out on the PSP instead of freaking YS ORIGIN which has NEVER been released here. Seriously get your priorities straight.

In all seriousness I will be getting basically everything XSEED puts on steam to support them. God I love them for their work.

Never played it, but from that trailer it looks like a lot of fun in a very old school looking game. It's getting my money.

80Maxwell08:
You are celebrating a game that's already out on the PSP instead of freaking YS ORIGIN which has NEVER been released here. Seriously get your priorities straight.

That's mostly because I didn't know whether Felghana was coming to Steam first, or whether they were both launched this coming Monday. After reading up on it more, it turns out Origin isn't coming till later, and it's only Felghana that's released on the 19th. Making the title pretty appropriate. Ys Origin is merely stated to be out "soon", soon as possible(without cutting corners) I hope. I also learned they're not going to be doing much tampering, much less porting an entire console game over to the PC. The idea of adding certain PSP features was a resounding "maybe", and "don't get your hopes too high". As in they don't think they quite have the programming power at the moment, but maybe in the future there might be a voice acting update or the like, maybe. Meaning mostly what they'd have in their power for XSEED console titles, is give the developers recommendation for a console to PC port. Unless XSEED got a HUGE level up in programming power.

I had no idea XSEED was so small. Most of what you're missing from the PSP version is things like voice acting, though. Which isn't a big deal and the Steam version will have it's own benefits over the PSP version. Also, luckily, XSEED have a HUGE PC library to choose from. And just doing the Ys games is a great start. I found all this out from reading the Siliconera article someone posted about, I wouldn't know this if it weren't for the fact that an employee is apparently posting there. That's pretty cool of an employee to do, I must say.

I guess it's also a better headliner, somehow. Felghana is probably a better starter game. Though that's probably vastly debatable. Origin is chronologically first, after all.

Holy freaking ****! (first thought)
That's awesome, I love those games and this makes it a lot easier to play them.
Thanks for the info man.

Sigh. . .
Damn you OP. Steam gets enough of my money as it is and you have to go and link some awesome looking game with an awesome sounding track in the trailer and now I'll be forced to purchase more games.

Damn You.

By which I mean thanks.

Don't normally bump topics that are almost a week old, but it's better than starting a new topic in this case.

Game came out today, and just wondering who got it?

I got home like half an hour ago and started downloading. Almost done and can't wait to replay this game. If you love action adventure games, you owe it to yourselves to play this game, just 100% win.

Now to patiently await Ys: Origins *goes off to play Oath in Felghana*

Y's? meh ..... never into that series ... but ... i can think of a few OTHER reasons XSEED on steam is a good thing, this over all, pleases me

Looks gay as fuck.

No, seriously though. Doesnt look like my kinda thing. Besides, im busy playing WoW, I guess... >.> *Gets dragged back to WoW by friend*

Looks alright. I'll probably end up picking it up sometime when I have more free time.

I really hope they bring 1 and 2 over. I realize the series has no chronological story internally, but I generally like to experience things from start to finish if I can.

AC10:
I really hope they bring 1 and 2 over. I realize the series has no chronological story internally, but I generally like to experience things from start to finish if I can.

Well there is actually some form of a story with characters carrying over from different games. Like one of the main characters in Ys 6 being in Ys Seven and one of the characters from an older Ys game being in Ys 6. So playing from the start will help you recognize some characters.

I am disappointed that I have to beat the game on normal to unlock the harder difficulties. In the PSP version, all the difficulties except the newly added "Inferno" difficulty were readily available.

If I'm not playing Ys on "Nightmare" difficulty, I'm not playing it properly. Oh well, still will enjoy it on Normal I guess.

I've never played any of the Ys games but known about them for a long time. Are they any good?

Clive Howlitzer:
I've never played any of the Ys games but known about them for a long time. Are they any good?

Well they are basically a direct competitor to the Zelda series but unlike Zelda there are no puzzles so where there was puzzles in zelda there is combat in Ys. So when fighting monsters and bosses there isn't as much as a "pattern" in the same way. Like in zelda when fighting a boss you basically wait for a string of attacks to go off and avoid them then they are open and you hit them a few times then repeat that. In Ys you basically avoid the attacks and hit them every chance you get. Also there's way more RPG elements in Ys like stats, leveling, and the like. Though to just plain answer your question YES they are all very good and I seriously recommend buying them. Like now. Seriously. Do it. Give XSEED your money. All of it. Why are you still reading this instead of getting on Steam?

i would get it but i already have the psp version. i don't think they need more of my money for something i already own

Ooooooooooo...

...I've heard a lot of good things about the Ys series, especially the music.

I'm gonna pick it up during the next Steam sale.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked