Worst Collector's/Limited Edition Games

As some of you may know the ME3 collector's edition (N7 edition, whatever, different name, same shit) was an outrageous pile of shit that cost an arm and a leg, with a "lithograph" that was in actuality a fucking postcard, a patch for clothing that looked like shit, some ingame items (that are shit and/or limited to multiplayer) and a comic book that was not a one-shot and was essentially an advertisement to say "like what you saw in part 1? Buy the whole series" (not to mention the fact that it's a shrunk down reprint of the book) as well as an art book that was also a shrunk down advertisement for the full-size and complete artbook which you would have to buy, and that soundtrack that you have to download.

The ME3 Collector's Edition of course isn't the only bad collector's edition out there, for example there was the Arkham Asylum Collector's Edition that came with a flimsy plastic batarang, or the FFXII-2 Collector's Edition that contained almost nothing at all but still cost an extra $20 (at least in Australia).

My question are some of the worst Collector's Editions have you purchased/seen?

NOTE: This isn't about the games themselves, for example a game may be the biggest turd ever but its Collector's Edition goodies may have been fine.
NOTE 2: No spoilers people.

FF12:
The case was nice, but the extra DVD was ugly and so pointless.

I think it may have been first-printing editions or it could have been free with every copy but I believe Shaq-Fu came with a single from Shaq's ill-fated foray into Rap. It may not have been a collector's edition but getting a shitty CD with a shitty game has to count for something (compared that to Killer Instinct, also on SNES which gave away soundtrack CDs with each game. Freaking awesome.)

Tanis:
FF12:

Well, there was that little history thing that I watched twice. Yeah. And artwork. :/

zombieshark6666:

Tanis:
FF12:

Well, there was that little history thing that I watched twice. Yeah. And artwork. :/

The 'history' was SO poorly done.

It felt more like an 8th Grade 'documentary' about WW2 with a powerpoint than an ACTUALLY 'history of...'

I've seen better FAN MADE histories on video games (and comics) (SEE: Movie Bob) than was was on the DVD.

No interviews with creators, no mentioning of anime or side series, and no talk about the music or in-depth HISTORY beyond what a quick wiki read could get you (and with MORE information to boot!).

Aren't 90% of CE games full of pointless crap no one uses and artbooks that aren't worth looking at? I paid an extra ten dollars for the big fancy sleeve and the tin case alone. CEs are for people who love games to the point where they WANT to throw extra money at it. The only CE I can think of that did more for the standard $10 upgrade was Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I still have the bobblehead sitting on my headboard actually, and it was nice to finally have a lunchbox for the inevitable question of, "You love your lunchbox? What kind of lunchbox is it? hur hur hurrr..."

I'd argue that 90% of (modern) collectors/limited edition games are just piles of crap. The only thing I really like in a CE personally is when the box itself is fancy in some way. Bonus points if it comes with something pretty to sit on your mantle. Oh! Bonus BONUS points if it's like Skyward Sword where it came with a goddamn controller.

In terms of CE/LE that were actually disgusting to look at, I'd say Skyrim and Halo Reach had some pretty insulting sets. Doubling the price of the game for a giant statue seemed stupid. As much as I loved Oblivion and would have paid an extra $10-20 for the usual crap (maybe a special case similar to the Oblivion CE), I wasn't going to pay that much for a goddamned dragon statue.

Collector's Editions just aren't what they used to be.

The pre-order special for Donkey Kong Country Returns was a cloth banana.
Glorious.

collector editions are usually crap... Im looking forward to a game case that just has nothing but slightly different cover art and thats it for just $10 to $20 more than the normal one.

FFXIII CE was pretty terrible. A few postcards and a calender.

By contrast the best CE ive purchased was for Bioshock 2. It was beautifully packaged, the art book and mini "Rapture" posters were awesome and the soundtrack came on vinyl as well as CD.

With out a doubt I'd have to say Skyrim, over twice the price for what amounted to a pretty box, plastic toy dragon, and art book.

Two Worst Worlds, the collectors edition was pretty good, but the game was so horrible that I returned it back later...on the same day.

Yeah, the Collector's Edition for Mass Effect was pretty horrifying. Lesson learned.

Although the thing that scares me the most about it is that I'm worried that I'll break a disc every time I try to pull one out.

Patch? I didn't get a freaking patch with mine! wtf

Baron_BJ:
Snip

I found the ME3 Collector's Edition to be well worth the 20 extra dollars. I think it is the fault of the people complaining about it, that they thought they were going to get more than what they got for only 20 bucks.

If you all were looking for a full and large hardback art book and a complete comic book and a high quality print, etc. etc. etc, you would be looking at a price over 100 dollars, somewhere around the range of what the Legendary Edition of Halo Reach cost, which was 150 dollars.

I don't even understand your complaint about the fabric patch. Mine looks awesome, and I'm looking into adding some velcro to my black hoodie to stick it to.

Of course you left out the From Ashes DLC that everybody else has to pay ten dollars for, and of course the nice metal case. Then the weapons and extra outfits for the squad members, and the N7 Hoodie for Shepard to use in his casual moments(which I love and am using). And of course, since I got it on the 360, the Normandy prop for my Avatar(which I am also using at the moment).

So what we have to download the soundtrack, burn it to a CD if you absolutely have to have it on a CD.

It makes me sad that I am a member of a group of people (gamers in general) that complain so much about nothing. I bet if some 80 dollar collector's edition for a new game came with a real gold bar that is worth 1,000 dollars, there would probably be a large group of people complaining that the gold bar wasn't shiny enough.

Grow up people, don't expect the world for such small amounts of money.

Risingblade:

Then you need to get a hold of someone to get yours. It came with a fabric patch of the N7 logo, and on the back it has velcro so it can be stuck to things.

It was in the cardboard insert along with the art book comic and print. It is around one and a half inches by four inches.

It even says on the back of the box, under "CE includes": Premium fabric N7 patch.

Sonic Doctor:

Risingblade:

Then you need to get a hold of someone to get yours. It came with a fabric patch of the N7 logo, and on the back it has velcro so it can be stuck to things.

It was in the cardboard insert along with the art book comic and print. It is around one and a half inches by four inches.

It even says on the back of the box, under "CE includes": Premium fabric N7 patch.

I got ripped off then, shit last time I ever pre-order from best buy

Risingblade:

Sonic Doctor:
snip

I'm willing to bet it was a packaging error. I doubt that someone at your best buy unwrapped your CE took out the patch and shrink-wrapped the CE to make it look unopened.

I almost always buy CE that come with art books because I love seeing the concept art and character designs that spawned that game. So the only two CE I've bought that didn't come with art books were Alan Wake which came with a book (that I haven't read but it's not art) a free pass to 1 of the 2 already announced DLCs and a soundtrack (meh). The other one was Fable 3 which came with a legit metal, nicely designed and colored coin, a few in-game items and a deck of playing cards. I know, what the fuck?

Sonic Doctor:

Risingblade:

Sonic Doctor:
snip

I'm willing to bet it was a packaging error. I doubt that someone at your best buy unwrapped your CE took out the patch and shrink-wrapped the CE to make it look unopened.

I guess still, who would I even complain to..it's a freaking 50 cent patch :/

Sonic Doctor:

Baron_BJ:
Snip

I found the ME3 Collector's Edition to be well worth the 20 extra dollars. I think it is the fault of the people complaining about it, that they thought they were going to get more than what they got for only 20 bucks.

If you all were looking for a full and large hardback art book and a complete comic book and a high quality print, etc. etc. etc, you would be looking at a price over 100 dollars, somewhere around the range of what the Legendary Edition of Halo Reach cost, which was 150 dollars.

I don't even understand your complaint about the fabric patch. Mine looks awesome, and I'm looking into adding some velcro to my black hoodie to stick it to.

Of course you left out the From Ashes DLC that everybody else has to pay ten dollars for, and of course the nice metal case. Then the weapons and extra outfits for the squad members, and the N7 Hoodie for Shepard to use in his casual moments(which I love and am using). And of course, since I got it on the 360, the Normandy prop for my Avatar(which I am also using at the moment).

So what we have to download the soundtrack, burn it to a CD if you absolutely have to have it on a CD.

It makes me sad that I am a member of a group of people (gamers in general) that complain so much about nothing. I bet if some 80 dollar collector's edition for a new game came with a real gold bar that is worth 1,000 dollars, there would probably be a large group of people complaining that the gold bar wasn't shiny enough.

Grow up people, don't expect the world for such small amounts of money.

That's how much extra I paid for the ME3 Collector's Edition? I paid for it in full back in December of 2011, for some reason I recalled paying like $50 extra for it, but my memory is shitty anyway.

But defending it?

With regards to its contents; no I was not pleased, but most of it I was repeating from other peoples complaints (though I'm not nearly as annoyed now that I've found out how much I actually spent - I checked my receipt drawer after I read your post), so lets clarify.

Although the soundtrack wasn't on CD it wasn't a big deal for me, it would have been nice to have it on CD, but I don't really care.

The Lithograph was false advertising, plain and simple, that thing was flat out bullshit. Even referring to it as such is a flat out lie - It's a fucking postcard, a shitty postcard that was the same for every buyer.

That velcro patch? I can take it or leave it, I've just never cared for patches because I can never find a shirt or anything that would make decent use of them so it drives me nuts and I end up not using them.

The "pet" for Xbox Live avatars (I bought mine for the 360 as well). There anything to say? It just sits there.

The DLC? This will polarize people because of the "gutting" issue and all that, but that's not the point. I guess you can justify that as being $10.

The hoodie. It's a piece of cloth that drapes over the characters head when he's sitting on his ass. It's a reskin. Any coder worth a damn could pull that out of their ass so fast it would make your head spin.

The comic and the Art book are the problem. They were advertised as being unique to the collector's edition and were flat out advertisements - advertisements consumers had to pay for. If they were sold to people as such that would be fine, but they weren't, we were lied to. Other games have included their full artbooks in their collector's editions, like DNF, the Dark Souls CE (the CE for Dark Souls was the same cost as the regular version and it came with one), and unlike the ME3 artbook it wasn't the full size artbook warped and shrunk out of shape from the REAL artbook.

Few collector's editions have ever recieved this much scorn, ME3 even has "big names" (well, by internet standards) shitting on it, you've probably seen this one:

http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2012/03/hard-corner-mass-effect-3-collector/

EDIT: I think I should clarify one thing: If the art book and comic book were ACTUALLY made for the Collector's Edition and the Lithograph wasn't a postcard and an actual Lithograph (You know, like how those items were AS FUCKING ADVERTISED I would say that this was an excellent CE, but as it stands, it's EA and Bioware slapping me in the face, repeatedly, with their metaphorical cock.

I love the special editions i have bought so far. Bioshock II and deus ex. I still thInk that despite the game, the bioshock ii special edition is what every special edition should be. It had a cd with the music from the game, an artbook the size of my chair and about as heavy, a vynil with the music from the original bioshock, 2 posters, and the gAme itself. Bam!

Agree about ME3 CE. Only good thing I really like about it is metal case for DVDs.

As much as we complain about games like COD, they make pretty awesome collectors editions. Black ops came with a mini car that included a video camera and a microphone, and a controller to control the thing of course. Also tin case was a nice touch too.

Red Dead Redemption and FF: XII was the worst IMO. All it was is it can in a SLIGHTLY different case...thats it lol.

The best collector editions are the ones that actually try to make it worthwhile. Fallout 3/New Vegas, Bioshock 2, Call of Duty Black Ops, and one of my favorites was Mortal Kombat 9s. Seriously that one came with a huge real arcade controller. Damn!

Sonic Doctor:

This I would have to disagree with you on. I bought the Age of Empires III collectors edition on release for 50 (RRP), that included a soundtrack CD, a decent making of documentary and a hardback coffee table artbook with over 100 pages of concept art from the entire series. I've also bought the Heroes of Might and Magic collectors edition that contained all 5 games and expansions, a similar artbook, a pack of specially designed playing cards and a T-Shirt for 30 (though I believe it was 60 RRP).

OT: The worst one of the past couple of years is definitely FFXIII-2. Got conned by the shop into thinking it would be the one people had the oppotunity to get in the US with the full 4 disk soundtrack but no. Favourite in the past 3 years is probably Fable 3 because I think the fake book of a box was a really nice design.

I agree about ME3 collector edition which I just got, and Dawn of war 2: Retribution

I blame Warhammer40k: Space marine collector edition for making all others insignificant in comparison.

canadamus_prime:
Collector's Editions just aren't what they used to be.

This. And don't get me started on CE's that include "soundtracks" that actually don't have any of the really GOOD music on them. That's like an FF VI soundtrack that doesn't include Celes' theme!

Please come back, Working Designs!!!

Skyrim's CE was terrible, for the price tag anyway.

Pick up a Russian collector's edition of a PC game. Any PC game. (The Witcher 2 is a notable exception).

The Witcher 2. Seriously the game, soundtrack and a guide what the hell were they-oh wait that was the normal edition. Sorry I don't really have a bad collector's edition experience.

I'm one of those stupid people who bought the The Force Unleashed Collector's edition. I did enjoy the game (not good, but fun), but the CE was awful. It contained:

- steelcase (whatever)
- three challenge levels (which I never played)
- one lightsaber crystal (which I didn't care for)
- one skin (which I never used)
- a 2Gb Flash Drive (wow, all of 2Gb!)
- a digital artbook (which was so cumbersome and crappy, that I viewed it once)

Luckily I got it for the same price as the normal edition, so I wasn't really bothered.

Trust me, the ME3 CE was miles better. At least it had good DLC, the soundtrack and a physical artbook.

I think I have bought only two collector's editions in my life and didn't have any complain: Fallout 3 and Dead Rising 2: Zombrex Edition. Fallout was quite generous I must admit, it had a nice booklet with hard cover with coloured designs from the game, a square metal box with a little handle inspired by the game's content, a dvd that never played, and a little statuette of the iconic Fallout little man with the smile. It was cool. Dead Rising 2 was not so rich, it had a pen filled with blue fluid that resembled a Zombrex injection, a dvd duration of 30' with the making of, and a metal cd case. Not "so special" edition, but it was only 5 Euros more expensive than the standard edition, so it was fair.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked