Great Moments in Fanon Dis-continuity

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Well, it's been just over a week now since you-know-what came out and caused one of the greatest surges of fan hate in the history of contemporary media. The combination of pre-release hype and a now notoriously obtuse ending has resulted in a kind of perfect (shit)storm of dissatisfaction. My question is: can anyone think of fan outrage of a comparable magnitude and ubiquity?

I know that the endings of Half-life 2 and Halo 2 (both released in 2004), were attended by a lot of befuddlement and outrage, but I was sort of on hiatus from gaming at that point so don't really know how bad it got.

Then there are the obvious examples from the world of film: The Matrix sequels and Star Wars prequels spring to mind.

I thought it might be fun to take a trip down memory lane by asking what other examples you can think of.

Dawn of War: Soulstorm.

Of course, that hasn't stopped it from being the butt of jokes for the series onwards.

Dragon Age 2 springs to mind.

Highlander 2, anyone? There's a popular saying about the movies within the fandom: "There should only have been one!" Alternatively there's Eragon the movie (While opinions on the book vary, there seems to be a general unspoken agreement that the movie 'never happened'), and then there's Metroid: Other M...

What's Matrix Reloaded? Revelations? What the hell are you talking about? They only made one Matrix movie.

Metroid: Other M

Highlander 2: The Quickening

I never watched it myself, but I have heard plenty of talk that the second Dragonheart movie should never have happened.

There must also have been a lot of rage over Alien 3, especially after the massive popularity of Aliens. I think it may have been spared fanbase disembowellment by the fact that it came out before the rise of internet culture though.

Ever hear of a game called Zelda's Adventure? Or The Legend of Zelda: The Wand of Gamlon? If you haven't, that's because even Nintendo likes to pretend they don't exist.

I seem to recall someone named John Romero claiming he was going to make us his bitch. I'm pretty sure that didn't pan out though!

I think if the internet were as big now as it was then, Castlevania 64 would have been crucified with rusty dildos when it was released. I could be wrong though since a ton of people would have directed N64 owners to Symphony of the Night while laughing.

Asita:
Ever hear of a game called Zelda's Adventure? Or The Legend of Zelda: The Wand of Gamlon? That's because even Nintendo likes to pretend they don't exist.

If the internet was as big then as it was now, the 3 Zelda games and potentially Mario Hotel (Hotel Mario?) would have likely been torched.

On a final note I'm surprised Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts didn't get nearly as much hate as it could have received. Wasn't everyone expecting a Banjo-Threeie and, didn't Rare kind of die after that was released?

nokori3byo:
There must also have been a lot of rage over Alien 3, especially after the massive popularity of Aliens. I think it may have been spared fanbase disembowellment by the fact that it came out before the rise of internet culture though.

...and just to prove they didn't learn their lesson, the same thing happened again with Alien Resurrection :P

The fourth Indiana Jones movie is another example of "what other movie, dammit there were only three!" syndrome.

In the realm of gaming, going back a ways Ultima IX was panned so comprehensively that even as a huge fan of the series at the time, I could never bring myself to play it.

Asita:
Ever hear of a game called Zelda's Adventure? Or The Legend of Zelda: The Wand of Gamlon? That's because even Nintendo likes to pretend they don't exist.

Yup. They are all perenial entries on worst ever lists. In fairness to that franchise, those games are easier to write off because they were A) made by a different developer, and B) so utterly, bizarrely different from anything else in the series that they don't even really qualify for Evil Kirk status.

I'm still waiting for a "Plumbers Don't Wear Ties" sequel...

The Unpleasable Fanbase never seems to quit. Here's one for you...

I don't know what Mortal Kombat games have been like in the years before MK9, but I saw alot of surging hate for Shao Kahn battles, say, for his cheapness...except that this is very much the way he ALWAYS was way back in MK2 when he was first introduced. And unlike the games that followed it, people have always liked MK2, so this for me was kind of insane.

nokori3byo:

Aliens 3? But I thought there were only two Alien movies.

(In other words, you're 100% right haha.)

I'm not going to say any examples here, because personally I hold to the belief that if the creators of a universe make something canon, they (and ONLY they) have the right to decide what is canon and what isn't, and the 'fans' have no right to just declare something 'not canon' because they don't personally like it. Of course, if the creators themselves declare something to be 'discontinuous' because it's so crap or doesn't fit, then that's fine, because it's those guys doing it instead of the whiny fanbase.

Plus, most of the time these complaints are unfounded anyway. The Matrix sequels are great films in their own right, and I personally like them even better than the original. The reason people don't like them is because they can't deal with the philosophical stuff, which I'd argue is already prevalent in the first film anyway (Neo rising from the dead and being declared the messianic 'One', for instance?). And I've recently just replayed Halo 2 (completing the entire series again, on Legendary, in rough chronological order), and I see no reason to get so pissy about the ending. Yes, it's a cliffhanger, so what? The game is great and it's an excellent setup for Halo 3, no reason for anyone to moan.

That's just my opinion on the subject, but still, these are the times when I really do realise that yes, consumers nowadays are a bunch of self-entitled toddlers whininh because they didn't get what they wanted, no matter how awesome what they did get really was.

World War II, cartoonish villains, sloppy deus ex machina endings (magic super weapon suddenly wins war, yeah right). Killed off some of the best characters from the first arbitrarily (France) or made them apparently change sides with little motivation (Italy). Convoluted Jewish subplot that didn't do much for the war. Stupid, stupid sequel.

Aim For The Top! Gunbuster2/Diebuster
is set in a alternate universe not the Gunbuster universe
...like anybody on the escapist has seen them.
Han shot first and Star Wars 1-3

The Rogue Wolf:
I never watched it myself, but I have heard plenty of talk that the second Dragonheart movie should never have happened.

The FIRST Dragonheart movie should never have happened.

Trivun:
I'm not going to say any examples here, because personally I hold to the belief that if the creators of a universe make something canon, they (and ONLY they) have the right to decide what is canon and what isn't, and the 'fans' have no right to just declare something 'not canon' because they don't personally like it. Of course, if the creators themselves declare something to be 'discontinuous' because it's so crap or doesn't fit, then that's fine, because it's those guys doing it instead of the whiny fanbase.

Plus, most of the time these complaints are unfounded anyway. The Matrix sequels are great films in their own right, and I personally like them even better than the original. The reason people don't like them is because they can't deal with the philosophical stuff, which I'd argue is already prevalent in the first film anyway (Neo rising from the dead and being declared the messianic 'One', for instance?). And I've recently just replayed Halo 2 (completing the entire series again, on Legendary, in rough chronological order), and I see no reason to get so pissy about the ending. Yes, it's a cliffhanger, so what? The game is great and it's an excellent setup for Halo 3, no reason for anyone to moan.

That's just my opinion on the subject, but still, these are the times when I really do realise that yes, consumers nowadays are a bunch of self-entitled toddlers whininh because they didn't get what they wanted, no matter how awesome what they did get really was.

This... in spades. Whiny fanboys who couldn't write an acceptable paragraph feeling entitled because they are... consumers. Pretty weak reasoning. I've yet to see an example on this whole thread that can't just be chalked up to whiny fanboy crying.

Hookah:
World War II, cartoonish villains, sloppy deus ex machina endings (magic super weapon suddenly wins war, yeah right). Killed off some of the best characters from the first arbitrarily (France) or made them apparently change sides with little motivation (Italy). Convoluted Jewish subplot that didn't do much for the war. Stupid, stupid sequel.

I see what you did there and I applaud you.

Its just fandom, that said I have only one example and it has been mentioned above. Indiana Jones and that goddamned Crystal Skull. Simply terrible.

Superman 64

Didn't everyone hate that game?

And don't forget the game that started the video game crash: E.T.

Shoggoth2588:
I seem to recall someone named John Romero claiming he was going to make us his bitch. I'm pretty sure that didn't pan out though!

I think if the internet were as big now as it was then, Castlevania 64 would have been crucified with rusty dildos when it was released. I could be wrong though since a ton of people would have directed N64 owners to Symphony of the Night while laughing.

Asita:

If the internet was as big then as it was now, the 3 Zelda games and potentially Mario Hotel (Hotel Mario?) would have likely been torched.

On a final note I'm surprised Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts didn't get nearly as much hate as it could have received. Wasn't everyone expecting a Banjo-Threeie and, didn't Rare kind of die after that was released?

No it wouldn't, because only five people ever bought a CD-I.

To answer OP question, Metroid Other M

I don't get the hate for it to be honest, the gameplay is fantastic, and the story isn't that bad, just kinda average. There's not even much of it either, and in around the four hours I have played it, I've only had three relatively short cutscenes.

So I guess Nintendo fanboy's hate change, which would makes sense given the context of Other M.

Batman (1989), Batman Returns (1991), Batman Begins (2005), The Dark Knight (2008)

Odd how there was such a hiatus in making Batman movies between 1991 and 2005 am I right?

"excuse me while I complain that people complain. They're all whiners" <--- *rolls eyes*

Anyway.

Terminator 3 sprung to mind. I think most Terminator things after it ignore it exists.

Superman Returns was actually billed as a sequel to the FIRST 2 Christopher Reeve Superman movies, ignoring the ones with Richard Pryor and Nuclear Man.

X-men First Class seemed to go out of it's way to contradict X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Say what you want about George Lucas, but he agrees with the fans on the horrid-ness of the "Star Wars Holiday Special" and has IIRC commented that he'd destroy every copy if he could.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV show pretty much ignored most of the movie.

Hookah:

+1 Internet for this post. Brilliant. Positively brilliant.

VulpesAqua:
Batman (1989), Batman Returns (1991), Batman Begins (2005), The Dark Knight (2008)

Odd how there was such a hiatus in making Batman movies between 1991 and 2005 am I right?

Hey, Batman & Robin will be the hallmark of the eventual reboot of MST3K.

FalloutJack:
The Unpleasable Fanbase never seems to quit. Here's one for you...

I don't know what Mortal Kombat games have been like in the years before MK9, but I saw alot of surging hate for Shao Kahn battles, say, for his cheapness...except that this is very much the way he ALWAYS was way back in MK2 when he was first introduced. And unlike the games that followed it, people have always liked MK2, so this for me was kind of insane.

Games were supposed to be tough back then. Besides, you can beat Shao Kahn by repeatedly jump heavy kicking him in MK2.

Soviet Heavy:
Dawn of War: Soulstorm.

Of course, that hasn't stopped it from being the butt of jokes for the series onwards.

What happened to Soulstorm that everyone despises it so much?

NameIsRobertPaulson:

VulpesAqua:

Hey, Batman & Robin will be the hallmark of the eventual reboot of MST3K.

Torture me not with the false promises of an MST3K reboot (which if it retained the original writers I would be 200% onboard for)

Merrick_HLC:

X-men First Class seemed to go out of it's way to contradict X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV show pretty much ignored most of the movie.

I'm pretty sure most people were ok with these two things. General consensus is that Origins: Wolverine was trash and that the TV series was way above and beyond better than the movie (partially, I assume, due to more creative control from Whedon.)

So, biggest I can think of is DA2 (even though, as with ME3, I disagree with it.)

Though I suppose another huge one HAD to have been KoTOR 2. I wasn't part of any internet community until a few years after that so I never experienced any of the major fallout. Anyone here remember that?

NameIsRobertPaulson:
-KAAAAAAAAAHNNN!!-

Well yeah, I've done that. That's sort of what else confuses me about the complaints.

ZeroMachine:
Though I suppose another huge one HAD to have been KoTOR 2. I wasn't part of any internet community until a few years after that so I never experienced any of the major fallout. Anyone here remember that?

I think it was a lot like what happened with Deus Ex: Invisible War, a highly anticipated sequel to a well-loved game that didin't live up to the hype. That KoTOR was made by a different dev (Obsidian was it?) likely gave it a different feel from the original, which wouldn't have sat well with fans even if the game had been otustanding.

AD-Stu:

nokori3byo:

...and just to prove they didn't learn their lesson, the same thing happened again with Alien Resurrection :P

The fourth Indiana Jones movie is another example of "what other movie, dammit there were only three!" syndrome.

In the realm of gaming, going back a ways Ultima IX was panned so comprehensively that even as a huge fan of the series at the time, I could never bring myself to play it.

But there is a fourth Indiana Jones movie, made by Spielberg even! It's called The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn.

In my mind at least, it's a better Indiana Jones film than Crystal Skull.

nokori3byo:

ZeroMachine:

I think it was a lot like what happened with Deus Ex: Invisible War, a highly anticipated sequel to a well-loved game that didin't live up to the hype. That KoTOR was made by a different dev (Obsidian was it?) likely gave it a different feel from the original, which wouldn't have sat well with fans even if the game had been otustanding.

From what I understand, it's more that the game was damn near incomplete. The writing in it was loads better.

Hookah:

Hey, the first one wasn't very good either, so no real loss there. I mean, World War I started out pretty cool, with a lot of political intrigue and such, but then all of the story arcs proceeded to go absolutely nowhere, and the whole thing just fell apart! By the end, nothing was happening at all, and none of the characters had any discernible motivations. At least with WWII you could follow the plot. WWI was a crappy first installment with a crappy sequel nobody asked for.

Spaceparanoid42:

Hookah:

Hey, the first one wasn't very good either, so no real loss there. I mean, World War I started out pretty cool, with a lot of political intrigue and such, but then all of the story arcs proceeded to go absolutely nowhere, and the whole thing just fell apart! By the end, nothing was happening at all, and none of the characters had any discernible motivations. At least with WWII you could follow the plot. WWI was a crappy first installment with a crappy sequel nobody asked for.

Nah man, WWI is all morally ambiguous, with neither side being 'right'. While you say it when nowhere. I think it is a damming condemnation of the futility of war and imperialism. The utterly pointless loss of life on all sides drives that issue home.

Hookah:

Spaceparanoid42:

Hookah:

Nah man, WWI is all morally ambiguous, with neither side being 'right'. While you say it when nowhere. I think it is a damming condemnation of the futility of war and imperialism. The utterly pointless loss of life on all sides drives that issue home.

See, I thought the first two seasons of WWI were brilliant, as it really drove home that point you were talking about, the political BS, the waste of life, the utter pointlessness, etc. But then once it said everything it was going to say, it just kept going for 3 more seasons, with nothing but people in trenches. The longer it went, the more frustrated I got that those idiots wouldn't just call it a day and go home. I suspect the network executives were trying to wring more money out of the show.

Maybe I'm being a little harsh on WWI. It's probably among the most polarizing series in Mr. Europe's body of work. I just don't think it ever quite reached the artistic heights of the Renaissance Trilogy or the Roman Empire Saga. It was still better than than the Dark Ages, tough. That one was a REALLY crappy installment.

Hookah:

On one hand, I want to slap you around the ears for such a callous joke-cracking at one of the most tragic times of recent history, but since Tragedy + Time = Comedy, I can't help but thinking that you just won the internetz.

Also, OP, "fanon" discontinuity? That happens every time a fanfic pairs up the fan avatar with whichever character they happened to have hots for in any given fiction. You meant "canon" discontinuity, no?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked