Why do you play games?

What are the reasons you play games? And why do you keep playing a game?
What motivates you?
What is it that makes a game fun to play?

And also:

What makes you stop play a game? Is there anything that really can destroy the experience of a game?

I'm interested in why we enjoy games so much, and would like you opinion on the subject.
This is for my thesis "Why you don't go outside and play" and any input would be greatly appreciated. This means I will probably will quote you. You will be anonymous, of course.

Thank you, fellow Escapists :D

Edit 2: You people are just amazing. I now remember you I like The Escapist so much :D

I play games because it's fun. It's relaxing, so I play whenever I've got a few hours free and just want to chill. I like getting involved with the story, and games take a lot longer to play than books take to read.

I like it! I'm not obsessed with gaming at all, but when I've put in a hard day at work I like to get home, put my feet up and be immersed in a world much more interesting than my own.

Tazzy da Devil:
I play games because it's fun. It's relaxing, so I play whenever I've got a few hours free and just want to chill. I like getting involved with the story, and games take a lot longer to play than books take to read.

So, you primarily play for the story in the games? Or is there any other element you enjoy?

Soxafloppin:
I like it! I'm not obsessed with gaming at all, but when I've put in a hard day at work I like to get home, put my feet up and be immersed in a world much more interesting than my own.

What is it that makes the world immersive? And you mean you use it to escape the real world for a while... like an Escapist? :O

Hope I don't don't come across as I'm questioning your reasons, I'm just curious! Thanks for answering by the way :)

Xifel:

Tazzy da Devil:

So, you primarily play for the story in the games? Or is there any other element you enjoy?

Well the story is the main bit, yeah, but that's not to say that there isn't other things I enjoy. It's just more of a bonus to me if there is something else I enjoy. If I get into a game and something makes me go "Holy shit that was awesome, let's try that again!" that makes my day. That being said, I LOVE visual novels, which is pretty much all story, which proves to me that I can enjoy a game without really involved gameplay.

Xifel:

Tazzy da Devil:

Soxafloppin:

What is it that makes the world immersive? And you mean you use it to escape the real world for a while... like an Escapist? :O

Hope I don't don't come across as I'm questioning your reasons, I'm just curious! Thanks for answering by the way :)

Just being able to do things that arnt possible in real life. I can't grind along cables shooting lightning out my limbs in real life, I can't go toe to toe with yellow robot ninja with Blades for arms in real life! I guess it is a form of Escapism, yea.

I play games so that I entertain myself and, hopefully, experience a neat story.

Nothin' quite beats the feeling of having a long, hard day and sit down, putting GTA into your preferred game-machine and proceeding to run over EVERYONE.

I play games because of the experience, sure movies and books are cool. They can transport me to another world, they can make me care, but games do it so much better.

So, in the end, entertainment and relaxation. Maybe a bit of nostalgia?

Because I'm bored with reality. I really don't blame humanity for our lack of progress in certain areas but that doesn't change the fact that modern life is kind of...primitive. I feel like a young kid in an old person's house that has no TV, video games, internet, or any nice tech of any kind. NOTHING TO DO.

Games, all though virtual, provide the experience that keep my brain from shriveling up from boredom.

For escapism, for fun, and for the challenge of it. That's pretty much it.

Cause it's hard as hell to fly 6ch. R/C helicopters drunk at 2 am.

Procrastination :D

Indulgence, enjoyment and escapism. Indulgence from doing things I could never normally get away with; enjoyment from the various entertainment factors in the games I play; escapism from the sheer immersion of myself in a completely different world.

There you go. I think that sums up my reasons quite neatly, to be honest.

captcha: "don't tase me"

Kind of hoping I wouldn't have to clarify but the captcha raises a good point. Um, don't tase me please.

I'll just pretend to be the stereotype for a nerdy gamer.

"I play the games because I get bullied every day and get ignored by everyone around me, this way I can go and escape from the real world."

Of course that is not why I play them, I play them because I just want to pass time by shooting lots of shit.
The end.

Because I want to make kids RQ back to conkers.

I play games because it's fun.
At later times I have also noticed that I know the English language a lot better than most other Finns that don't play games, so it's also educational.
And in very rare cases it's a bit competitive in a fun way with friends.

Enjoyment, good story-telling and challenge, in that order. If its fun, that'll usually keep me going for a while (e.g. Just Cause 2, which I spent most of late January/ early February playing). If its fun and tells a good story, that'll keep me going for longer (e.g. Stalker: Call of Pripyat, that absorbed most of January and February last year). And if it also has a good progression of difficulty, then all the better; those are the kind of games I know I will go back to at some time in the future (e.g. Skyrim; playing it on and off and still haven't finished with it and subsequent DLCs will likely inspire a return to it; I'm waiting for more free time before I start another playthrough of Fallout: New Vegas as well; basically anything by Bethedsa really...)

Games are fun and a great way to pass the time.

If I go outside I can play sports.

If I play games, I can be awesome instead.

Wasn't sure about commenting but then a wild :

Xifel:
"This is for my thesis "Why you don't go outside and play" and any input would be greatly appreciated."

appeared and I decided to >.< (I mostly just read rather than comment). Right, before I go way off topic.

I was pretty much raised with gaming, not by my parents or anything, they are far from gamers, my father plays a bit of AoE 2, pretty much the only game he ever played and has played since, but very casually. As for me, as stated above, was self-raised with games and on the internet :) which seems to have worked out quite ok for me...I didn't turn out too bad.

Now for what makes games a passion and what keeps me playing...hmm, I guess a game with a good storyline can keep me in front of my screen for hours, same goes for gameplay. Good graphics undoubtedly do add to the experience but if that's all the game has, I'll get bored quickly, same goes for the game's sound design. I also enjoy playing competitive games online...right now I am playing quite a bit of LoL, and have played a lot of CoD 2 in various ladders and cups.

Games help me, escape life I guess...not that I have an incredibly difficult one...but I find comfort in playing games, and of course I also play them for fun, lots and lots of fun ^.^

tl/dr version: games are awsuuum ! i play them cus they r fun and make me happy !

Well, that was a bit of a rant xD Good luck on your thesis and if you want any more info don't hesitate to ask for it.

I play for the escapism. How else would I be able to storm the beaches of Normandy, or save the galaxy from the Reapers?

And the masses of fun and the few great stories are just a bonus. Not to mention the fun to be had from playing games with friends.

Games are fun. I like having fun. As long as I play them I am having fun so I keep playing them.

Games offer a way you can take an active part of a story. You get to feel like you're a part of it rather than getting the passive experience of watching a movie or reading a book. You get to train your skills and test yourself against friends. You get a satisfaction from getting by a hard obstacle such as the final boss fight.

This post is going to be drawn out, but since it's for your thesis, I don't think you'll care.

The main reason for playing games is for entertainment. It's why we do most anything in life. It's either necessary, which gaming isn't, or it's entertaining. The beauty of games, and movies and books to a lesser extent (in my opinion anyway), is that they can be entertaining for a very large and diverse group of people.

I play games so I can be part of a world that isn't possible for me in my everyday life. I don't play the Sims, because why play someone doing everyday stuff? I want to be part of a fantasy, something I literally cannot do in real life. What separates games from movies and books is the interactivity. No matter how many times you read a book or watch a movie, the same thing happens every time. In a game, that's not the case. Some games have the overall story play out the same way (Call of Duty), but each fight can turn out differently because of the input of the gamer. Other games (Mass Effect) let you actually change the fate of characters in the story.

The main argument I hear about games is that they are mindless and immature. My fiance says this to me all the time. But these are the people who don't take the time to sit down and experience any of them. Gamers are stereotyped just like anyone else. Most people think gamers are nerds or angry. Some people are, but not all. Some people just take it more seriously than others, which is true with everything. I'll be the first to admit, the vast majority of games aren't very good either in story, or controls, or graphics or any combination of the 3. But the same can be said about movies and books. Not every movie is a blockbuster, and not every book in a best seller.

So, why do I play games? Because I get enjoyment out of an interactive experience. I enjoy feeling like I'm making a difference. I enjoy being part of a world I that I wouldn't be able to be part of otherwise. I've played football in the NFL, baseball in the MLB, I was a cowboy in the old west, a human fighting for the universe, a test subject in a lab, an agent fighting off a zombie infestation, a war hero in 3 different decades, an assassin, and a hero fighting dragons, just in the last year. I was able to do this all from my couch, and my experience isn't the same as everyone else who played the same games. That's why gaming is special to me.

Well if I cannot have any other adventures in real life, I can at least have some on my PC at home, I don't game a lot normally, but right now I'm stuck with a fractured elbow, so I can't do much of anything, other than gaming, since my sling positions my hand right there on WASD perfectly...

But mainly because ADVENTURE! Always fun to explore worlds and or build things, minecraft is awesome for that.

Also the whole experimentation without reprecussion in worlds of the purely hypothetical, and the fact that exploring realms much different from the one I inhabit is always cool.

I think that all just points back to ADVENTURE as the reason, after all ADVENTURE, is the reason the action and the goal... so yeah...

This is an all too simple question.

There's no other medium like it. What other form of entertainment puts you straight into a story? What other medium lets you experience everything that the protagonist does?

Contrary to what people think, it isn't about the killing. It's about experiencing the intencity that it brings. It's not just about exploring, it's about the freedom of going where you want to in a new world.

Gaming is fun because it's the best way to tell a story, the best way to live another life, and the best way to forget about your own troubles.

I see no reason to go play sports, or wander around a mall. I can sit in the comfort of my couch (or more likely infront of my PC) and pretend the world actually sits on my shoulders. I get a sense of fulfilment that I could never get from regular life.

In short. Life is boring as all hell, and games just help me project my emotions in a way that movies and books don't.

Because i can't respawn "outside".

Because the stories basically: Games are a whole different medium. You read a book and see a movie, but you don't really have any control. In an RPG it is my character and i'm playing my story (not really, but you get my point).

Other times when I play Team Fortress 2 or L4D2 it's just relaxing. I HATE watching tv and i'm not always in the mood to go to the pub or whatever.

And sometimes, i play co-op with my brother because killing stuff is more fun that way.

I had a discussion one time about why i play games. She asked me why I wasted so much time on videogames and then I asked her what she did when she wasn't going out. Turns out most of the time people watch tv or go on facebook :/.

I play for escapism. When I want to get away for a bit and get lost in another world. Also, as I've gotten older I don't get the time to hang out with friends in person as much as I used to. Gaming online gives us the ability to hang out virtually almost every day.

What are the reasons you play games? And why do you keep playing a game?

The main reason I play games is because they are fun and a relaxing way to shave off a few free hours. I also play to lay off some steam when I get angry and I prefer to take my anger out on some digital NPC than an actual person.

What would get me to continue playing a game/series/genre is that they present a fun, engaging, and at times challenging gameplay. To this day, I would go looking for my older games, restart them or create a new file, and proceed to play and complete the game.

Essentially, I am motivated by engaging in an interactive world rather than simply sightseeing it from a safe distance (as with movies), listening to whats going on (as with music), or simply learning about it through text (as with books or written media). To know that I am immersed in this fictional world and my actions generate various result and often time reflect who I am as an individual and not just a digital avatar.

For me, a fun game consists of setting out goals and objectives for you to achieve while the difficulty curve ascends at a reasonable rate. Also, being able to get through a perilous level by using your own wit and knowledge of the game makes it worthwhile.

to escape the constant annoyance of humanity.

Depends on the game.

Sometimes it's for fun (Kingdoms of Alamur), or a challenge (Dark Souls), or thinking (Galactic Civilization 2), or because I frelling HATE the Catholic Church (FFX).

Ya know, it's just a mood thang...

I play to get immersed into the game. I want to become the hero and forget all the problems that i have at the time and just play. I play because it is fun to be able to do stuff you would not be able to do in the real world. Sometimes I play for the satisfaction of beating my siblings ass in ssbb or pokemon colliseum.

I love playing video games because, quite simply, I loves me a good story. I've played quite a few games with lackluster gameplay simply because I like the story the game tells.

This isn't just restricted to video games, btw. If it has a good story, I'll want to experience it, whether its a game, a book, a movie, even a cartoon for young girls about ponies and frendship! If the story's good, I'll read it.

This is probaly (read: definately) the reason I like the RPG genre of games the best; the quailty of the story tends to be better than in other genres. I'm not saying the story in non-RPGs are bad; I'm just saying that the bar is set higher in RPGs.

edit

I love good stories and being involved in one. I also have a lack of hobbies.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked