Did sims 1 ever stop forcing you to make friends?

I haven't played sims 1 in over a decade, I owned the game and the first expansion. I always appreciated the irony of the sims series. You know where you control a little character that cleans the house, goes to work and trains at the gym, takes showers. Meanwhile you become fat, smelly and the house grows dirty around you as you sit in front of your computer.

I especially appreciate the humour of the game adding more and more expansions and you get more and more stuff and then they add a number at the end like "Sims 2" or "sims 3" and you lose all the stuff from previous games that are then added slowly over the coming expansions.

One thing I strongly disliked about sims 1 was that in order to advance in your career you had to make more and more friends. I had to create tons of meaningless characters and put them in makeshift houses just so my main could get more arbitrary friends that neither the character nor I cared about (like facebook) When I was at the top of my characters work career it seemed I could barely enjoy the game any more as I was so busy maintaining relationships with meaningless characters that only existed to advance my career.

Was that ever patched out of the game?

I'm thinking about getting sims 1 and all the expansions to give it a go again.

Nope, never. You still need friends to advance your career in the first one, and no expansion ever changed that.

Sims 3 gives you the bonus that if you make 20 (!!!!!) friends, your relationships stop decaying.

I doubt that they fixed it in Sims 1, sorry.

Why on earth do the games insist on forcing my character to make friends with meaningless characters? Its even more ridiculous that I have to create these "friends" for the purpose.

I had to do the same thing - I actually created starter families and just put them on an empty lot with either one piece of wall and a phone, or a nightstand and a phone, and waited for my guy to come over and introduce himself so I can head back to that "family" and have him invite the dummy family over to raise my arbitrary friend count. Terrible, is it not?

Valiance:
I had to do the same thing - I actually created starter families and just put them on an empty lot with either one piece of wall and a phone, or a nightstand and a phone, and waited for my guy to come over and introduce himself so I can head back to that "family" and have him invite the dummy family over to raise my arbitrary friend count. Terrible, is it not?

Yeah I did the same. First I created actual characters but then when the friend count needed to be over 10 I just created random people. But then after having them as friends I had to put to much time keeping them as friends it just sucked all the fun out of the game.

What the hell are you doing with your sim in a regular job? Make gnomes. They eventually sell for $100 each and you can work on your own time.

Dejawesp:

Valiance:

Yeah I did the same. First I created actual characters but then when the friend count needed to be over 10 I just created random people. But then after having them as friends I had to put to much time keeping them as friends it just sucked all the fun out of the game.

Yep, since the "relationship value" of "up to 100" goes down by 2 every day, I had to rotate idiots in and out every day to "water the plant" so to speak...At some point I reached the top level of job with all my skills maxed out (cooking, charisma, logic, etc.) and decided to say screw it...Once you moved into that final mansion there's really no point in The Sims 1 - ended up just cheating for infinite money and making bigger, better, cooler houses.

Oh, you needed friends? That would explain why I never got promotions. I could barely keep my Sims from pissing on the floor without having them deal with friends, let alone having fucking house parties every Wednesday.

God I was shit at the Sims.

People played The Sims? I used it purely for the house building aspect. Loves me some architecture.

There was more to the Sims than the nude patch?

... what? I was twelve when that came out.

STOP JUDGING ME!!!!

Actually, I did enjoy building houses.

I also thought it was lame how I had to read, exercise, socialize, and tons of other crap between work and sleep.

I thought it was more lame when I got into the "real world" and that's exactly what it's like...

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked