Assassin's Creed III--more ridiculous than ever

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I know calling bullshit on Assassin's Creed now is kind of silly, but I think they've crossed the line of the rules of their world. AC1 was odd, but it had certain sense to it. You were reliving the memories of an ancestor in a semi-realistic 14th century Italy. Okay, little farther into the future for all the later installments. Makes sense, or about as much sense as that could make.

However, 3 takes place in America...during the American Revolution! WHAT!? The guy is Italian, and Italians didn't come State-side until the early 20th century and making deals you couldn't refuse. Not only that, what use would an assassin be to the rebels, when he's in their own country? All the people they would want assassinated would be on the other side of the Atlantic. The premise of this game is very flawed.

What? I don't think you understand the premise at all.

First of all, AC1 was set in 12th century Near East, and you play a character who comes from a Christian-Muslim parentage, and goes through the Jerusalem, Damascus and Acre during the Third Crusade. AC2, AC:B and AC:R are set in 15th-16th century Italy and Constantinople, and you play an Italian assassin. However, you really play a modern day American called Desmond, who is reliving the memories of his ancestors. One of his ancestors was Altair, the guy from 12th century Near East, one was Ezio, the guy from 15th-16th century Italy. Obviously, one of Desmond's ancestors had to be American (or at least be living in America) since Desmond himself is American. The new guy has Native American-English parentage.

Whoa, it's in the Revolution? Awesome. I wonder if there's a chance they'll visit my hometown (Charleston, SC). It had some big battles.

And yeah, Desmond could be related to people from all over the world. Say his mother had a Native American heritage and his father had Italian? And that's just going the most direct route. You could go on and on with that (and his mother's mother's mother's mother was from Peru, etc).

Desmond, logically, would have thousands of ancestors, stretching back to the dawn of man, each generation would branch of in several directions, and joining with others. Don't quote me on this, but I thought I heard somewhere that technicall all people alive today (not all humans ever) can be traced back to one pre-historic woman.

It would be weirder if you could not explore the memories of anyone but some arab and some flamboyant casanova wannabe.

The main character isn't from Italy. It's an entirely new protagonist. He is born from a native american mother and an English father.

Did you look into this game at all?

Ezio/Altair could be from his father's side, Connor from his mother's.

It's not really that hard to think that Desmond would have a very mixed background. From what I know from my blood line, you could do a spanish assassin (possibly Roman too, who knows) and a crazy badass apache assassin.

Atrocious Joystick:
Don't quote me on this, but I thought I heard somewhere that technicall all people alive today (not all humans ever) can be traced back to one pre-historic woman.

I totally quoted you now. So what are you going to do about it, huh? Come at me, bro!

OT: OP, you don't seem to grasp how family trees and ancestry work, do you? Altair and Enzio aren't even related. They are just completely different branches of Desmond's family. One can reasonably assume that the guy in AC3 would be another different branch of the family tree.

Forlong:
The guy is Italian, and Italians didn't come State-side until the early 20th century and making deals you couldn't refuse.

Wrong.

He's Native American/English.

Atrocious Joystick:
Don't quote me on this, but I thought I heard somewhere that technicall all people alive today (not all humans ever) can be traced back to one pre-historic woman.

Mitochondrial Eve. She's guaranteed to exist by definition though need not necessarily be human. In fact she probably was human, or something close to it, but species are a bit blurry when you're going back thousands of generations.

Oops, I quoted.

Yeah...I get the feeling the OP hasn't actually played the games in question. If he played AC1 he should have known that someone named Alta´r Ibn-La'Ahad who lived in Masyaf (Syria) wasn't Italian. AC2 would have made it abundantly clear that the Italian you were following was a new ancestor (heck, you even see Ezio's birth), Brotherhood makes it clear in the opening cutscene that you've visited the lives of two ancestors, and Revelations is no less ambiguous about that and caps it off with a rather definitive "We aren't following Ezio Auditore da Firenze anymore"...

Atrocious Joystick:
Desmond, logically, would have thousands of ancestors, stretching back to the dawn of man, each generation would branch of in several directions,
It would be weirder if you could not explore the memories of anyone but some arab and some flamboyant casanova wannabe.

After reading this, whom else wants to see Assassins Creed: Flintstones edition? Complete with Flint wrist dagger?

Did you even play the games?

Altair is the assassin you play in AC1 and parts of Revelations

Ezio is the Assassin you play in AC2, Brotherhood and for the majority of Revelations

They are not blood related, but Desmond (the modern protagonist) shares ancestry with them, as well as Connor (the new Assassin in AC3).

OP is just another American hating tool. Not getting old I see. Personally, I like the idea of it being in America, the Revolution and those times were rife with Catholic and Christian oppression. I love this atheist trend in games. We've killed enough Muslims/middle easterners, Germans, Russians, Mexicans, Africans, and every other person. I'm glad to see progressive thought in gaming.

OP is misinformed, so we can't really discuss this.

Perhaps you should consider checking up on those factual errors before you post such ignorant statements.

Forlong:
I know calling bullshit on Assassin's Creed now is kind of silly, but I think they've crossed the line of the rules of their world. AC1 was odd, but it had certain sense to it.

I understand that you're at least a little bit self aware, but I don't think that you've quite gotten a handle on just how absurd AC is. Let's put it this way:

In the Assassin's Creed universe, NASA was formed because the templars wanted an artifact located on the moon.

The moon.

Anyone else think that "Connor"'s (apparently the name of our new assassin) dad raped his native american mum since he was, dare I say it.

Also people are being a bit harsh on the OP for being misinformed about certain things.

Forlong:
I know calling bullshit on Assassin's Creed now is kind of silly, but I think they've crossed the line of the rules of their world. AC1 was odd, but it had certain sense to it. You were reliving the memories of an ancestor in a semi-realistic 14th century Italy. Okay, little farther into the future for all the later installments. Makes sense, or about as much sense as that could make.

However, 3 takes place in America...during the American Revolution! WHAT!? The guy is Italian, and Italians didn't come State-side until the early 20th century and making deals you couldn't refuse. Not only that, what use would an assassin be to the rebels, when he's in their own country? All the people they would want assassinated would be on the other side of the Atlantic. The premise of this game is very flawed.

you do realize that Ezio (the Italian) was in AC2 and that AC3 has a new protagonist, right?! did you even pay attention to the story?! AT ALL?! Don't make comments like that when you don't know what you are talking about!! Those aren't the only errors, either!!! The only correct fact in your post was that AC3 takes place in the American Revolution!

You know, even if the character is a Ezio descendant it is possible that Ezio's family traveled to England before America was discovered.

Or he is just another Desmond's ancestor.

WoW Killer:

Atrocious Joystick:

Mitochondrial Eve. She's guaranteed to exist by definition though need not necessarily be human. In fact she probably was human, or something close to it, but species are a bit blurry when you're going back thousands of generations.

Oops, I quoted.

Thanks for the link, I would have never believed without actually finding out that it is plausible that all the females that lived at the same time failed to maintain a chain of descendants.

Waffle_Man:
In the Assassin's Creed universe, NASA was formed because the templars wanted an artifact located on the moon.

The moon.

*spits figurative coffee at screen*

AHAHA OH WOW

Bradeck:
OP is just another American hating tool. Not getting old I see. Personally, I like the idea of it being in America, the Revolution and those times were rife with Catholic and Christian oppression. I love this atheist trend in games. We've killed enough Muslims/middle easterners, Germans, Russians, Mexicans, Africans, and every other person. I'm glad to see progressive thought in gaming.

*Ignoring the OP's ignorance of the game's premise momentarily*

His point is that it makes no sense for an Italian to be in the States at the time of the Revolution. How you got from that to him hating America is beyond me.

Daystar Clarion:

Did you even play the games?

Altair is the assassin you play in AC1 and parts of Revelations

Ezio is the Assassin you play in AC2, Brotherhood and for the majority of Revelations

They are not blood related, but Desmond (the modern protagonist) shares ancestry with them, as well as Connor (the new Assassin in AC3).

Things seemed so much 'tidier' when they implied that Altair was an ancestor to both Ezio and Desmond. I have no idea if it would actually be 'tidier' though; presumably Desmond can relive the lives of millions of people either way.

OT: Read up on the game. I mean... yeah. Read.

goose4291:

Atrocious Joystick:
Desmond, logically, would have thousands of ancestors, stretching back to the dawn of man, each generation would branch of in several directions,

After reading this, whom else wants to see Assassins Creed: Flintstones edition? Complete with Flint wrist dagger?

Unlikely. The first recorded use of a hidden blade is apparently by Darius to assassinate Xerxes I. Also, there would be few people to assassinate during that time period. Kill enough people in that time and you end up causing he extinction of humans.

DustyDrB:
Whoa, it's in the Revolution? Awesome. I wonder if there's a chance they'll visit my hometown (Charleston, SC). It had some big battles.

Takes place in New York and Boston along with a space one and a half times the size of Rome called the Frontier. It's the equivalent of the place in AC1 that linked everything.

Forlong:

Ezio is Italian but that doesn't mean Desmond can't have Native American ancestry as well as Italian and Syrian. It isn't a America vs Britain game, I fucking knew you Americans would jump on that racist bandwagon, it's Assassins vs Templars with America vs Britain laying context. They're separate organisations in the game.

The game isn't flawed but your knowledge and assumption is.

Serving UpSmiles:
Anyone else think that "Connor"'s (apparently the name of our new assassin) dad raped his native american mum since he was, dare I say it.

Also people are being a bit harsh on the OP for being misinformed about certain things.

Possibly, not necessarily. Some of the settlers actually forged legitimate relations with natives, and it would make a nice change from the stereotype of the heartless British oppressor. That said, the alternative is yet another stereotype, so I really don't care either way.

Moreover to the OP - it's not like everyone in Italy wasn't permitted to leave the region (I would say country, except it wasn't one). There were internal European migrations all the time, not to mention merchants and ambassadors and many other groups who would travel a lot - you know, LIKE ASSASSINS DO. I mean, in your little Assassin Bureau thing, you're sending Assassins to Moscow, Spain and... England. Is it so hard to believe that a descendant of Ezio would make their way to Britain in time to make their way to the new world 200-250 years later? No, not really, makes lots of sense to me.

Serving UpSmiles:

how are we being harsh?! like i said in my earlier post: the only correct fact in the OP is that the game takes place in the American Revolution. The OP is pretending to be all smart and what-not, but they apparently know nothing about Assassin's Creed.

DoPo:
OT: OP, you don't seem to grasp how family trees and ancestry work, do you? Altair and Enzio aren't even related. They are just completely different branches of Desmond's family. One can reasonably assume that the guy in AC3 would be another different branch of the family tree.

Wait... Ezio has said plenty of times that he's a descendent of Altair. In fact, I'd go so far as to say he's a direct descendent.

Well, considering how lineage works, it's pretty easy to understand. You are directly related to 2 people, each of those to 2 people, each of those 4 to 2 people etc. expanding exponentially. And that's not even counting aunt's, uncles, cousins and all that. So in a couple of hundred years, Ezio and Altair could easily be related through some chain.

In fact, according to QI, we are technically related to more people than have ever lived. Don't ask me how, though.

I think you're taking this all the wrong way. It's simple. We kill the Batman.

TheDrunkNinja:

DoPo:

Wait... Ezio has said plenty of times that he's a descendent of Altair. In fact, I'd go so far as to say he's a direct descendent.

No he hasn't, and no he isn't. After becoming aware of the man, Ezio only ever referred to Altair as one would any other legendary figure. The fanbase assumed that Ezio was a direct descendent of Altair due to the bit where Desmond witnessed the conception of Altair's son (and the fact they could both use Eagle Vision), but nothing in the games ever actually made that claim, and the developers have explicitly said that it is not the case. In fact, the fact that Desmond is a convergence of several great assassin bloodlines is what makes him so special. Observe:

Um... OP, I don't think you paid much attention to the first game's premise, did you?

Is this guy trolling us or is it possible that he truly has no fuckin clue?

What baffles me is that Revelations ended with 'I know what to do/we're here!' and yet 3 is going to be presumably dumping Desmond back in the Animus... to look for something for another team, perhaps?

Well yeah the premise of the game is entirely flawed, because it's fictional & is based on a scientific theory from the 60's that DNA records memory, which is now known to be wrong. Also think about all the other ancestors Desmond has, and now remember that each time someone has a child the child is only 1/2 related to them. This would make memories very cluttered (I don't think there's enough space) and even if there is enough space to pass them on, space would exponentially run out with each generation, assuming no inbreeding is happening.

Anyway, I think AC III is going to be really good, mainly because I watched the Patriot last night & think playing something in a similar setting to this is going to be awesome, and really refreshing for the series. They're also introducing several new mechanics. That said I hope they don't do a ridiculous amount of games on this setting, about two should be the maximum before it gets stale.

TheDrunkNinja:

DoPo:

I don't recall Ezio saying that. Maybe he meant that Altair was an Assassin and he's an Assassin an they are all from the same order. Also Altair is a bit of a enlightened figure among the Assassins, so it wouldn't be wrong for other Assassins to talk about him as part of their family. Case in point - the founding fathers aren't really fathers, or family even, to most people who use the term.

And if you have doubts in this video, the creators of AC explain the heritage of Desmond. Altair and Ezio are not related.

EDIT: I didn't see Asita's reply...I feel like I double posted now :/

Forlong:

As others have pointed out, the only flaw in this whole discussion is that you either haven't played any of the Assassin's Creed games, or didn't pay attention to anything when you did. I'd be fine with you offering some valid criticism of any of the games, but complaining about issues that are solely the result of your lack of knowledge about the series is a bit silly.

Esotera:
Well yeah the premise of the game is entirely flawed, because it's fictional & is based on a scientific theory from the 60's that DNA records memory, which is now known to be wrong. Also think about all the other ancestors Desmond has, and now remember that each time someone has a child the child is only 1/2 related to them. This would make memories very cluttered (I don't think there's enough space) and even if there is enough space to pass them on, space would exponentially run out with each generation, assuming no inbreeding is happening.

Yes and no. One of the most exciting things in memory and neuroscience research is the discovery that DNA methylation is a potential mediator for memory storage. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3130618/

What I haven't seen from any articles about this is any mention of heritability. Given that epigenetics (study of heritable changes in gene expression or cellular phenotype caused by mechanisms other than changes in the underlying DNA sequence) usually involves DNA methylation, it's a possibility that memory modification through DNA methylation is heritable.

So yes, Altair and Ezio did Assassin things, their DNA recorded their memory of the events, and poor Desmond gets to live through their memory through these DNA changes.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked