Bioware allows the release of "The Final Hours of Mass Effect 3" a tell all app for $2.99 WTF?!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

The iPad only $2.99 app is meant to give inside info on the ending and development of Mass Effect. Everything that would've made this make sense: Fighting TIM, questioning the god-child... it was proposed, then scrapped. WTFFFFF!?

http://www.me3finalhours.com/

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/9999272/1

Snippets from the original post:

Interesting Quotes:

Mac Walters on the Star Child/Reapers
"Originally, with the catalyst, the star child at the end of the game, I had written that much more in the guise of a investigative style conversation, where there is something he tells you but then, you get to ask a bunch of questions and you get your questions answered. But then me and Casey talked and decided, lets keep the conversation "High level". Give you the details that you need to know, but don't get into the stuff that you don't need to know. Like "How long have they been reaping?" You don't need to know the answers to the mass effect universe. So we intentionally left those out"

Casey on after Mass Effect 3
"Whatever we do would likely happen before or during the events of Mass Effect 3, not after"

On delaying the game
In march 2011, he also faced a roomful of Mass Effect developers who expressed concern about hitting the promised holiday release date... New release date set for March 2012. After much deliberation, the CAT mission (or rather, the Prothean mission) had to be removed from the set of tasks. The missions would later be completed as post-release content"

Casey on the End Boss
We had the final fight with the Illusive man in the game, but it just felt very Video Gamey. It didnt fit in with the themes. And really, is there a point of the end boss if only for the sake of an end boss?

On Deciding the End of the Game
The illusive man boss fight had been scrapped... but there was still much debate. On night walters scribbled down some thought on various ways the game could end with the line "Lots of speculation for Everyone!" at the bottom of the page.

And even in November the gameplay team was still experimenting with an endgame sequence where players would suddenly lose control of Shepard's movement and fall under full reaper control. (This sequence was dropped because the gaemplay mechanic proved too troublesome to implement alongside dialogue choices).

Aisaku:
The iPad only $2.99 app is meant to give inside info on the ending and development of Mass Effect. Everything that would've made this make sense: Fighting TIM, questioning the god-child... it was proposed, then scrapped. WTFFFFF!?

http://www.me3finalhours.com/

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/9999272/1

Snippets from the original post:

Interesting Quotes:
Mac Walters on the Star Child/Reapers
"Originally, with the catalyst, the star child at the end of the game, I had written that much more in the guise of a investigative style conversation, where there is something he tells you but then, you get to ask a bunch of questions and you get your questions answered. But then me and Casey talked and decided, lets keep the conversation "High level". Give you the details that you need to know, but don't get into the stuff that you don't need to know. Like "How long have they been reaping?" You don't need to know the answers to the mass effect universe. So we intentionally left those out"

Casey on after Mass Effect 3
"Whatever we do would likely happen before or during the events of Mass Effect 3, not after"

On delaying the game
In march 2011, he also faced a roomful of Mass Effect developers who expressed concern about hitting the promised holiday release date... New release date set for March 2012. After much deliberation, the CAT mission (or rather, the Prothean mission) had to be removed from the set of tasks. The missions would later be completed as post-release content"

Casey on the End Boss
We had the final fight with the Illusive man in the game, but it just felt very Video Gamey. It didnt fit in with the themes. And really, is there a point of the end boss if only for the sake of an end boss?

On Deciding the End of the Game
The illusive man boss fight had been scrapped... but there was still much debate. On night walters scribbled down some thought on various ways the game could end with the line "Lots of speculation for Everyone!" at the bottom of the page.

And even in November the gameplay team was still experimenting with an endgame sequence where players would suddenly lose control of Shepard's movement and fall under full reaper control. (This sequence was dropped because the gaemplay mechanic proved too troublesome to implement alongside dialogue choices).

My general reaction to this is

But I already knew half of the stuff in there, what kicks me in the balls is the DLC and Losing the final Sequence :/

That last part sounds like the indoctrination theory was dead on.

"You don't need to know the answers to the mass effect universe"

And then we realised that Casey Hudson was indoctrinated by the Rea-... I mean EA.

The more I hear about the ending, the less I want to play it. Its literally half an hour away. I could start the game right now and be with TIM in 5 minutes. But im still not sure I want to see the ending. Maybe I should just ignore it and be happier that way?

Oh God Casey, you dig yourself deeper with each announcement.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
The more I hear about the ending, the less I want to play it. Its literally half an hour away. I could start the game right now and be with TIM in 5 minutes. But im still not sure I want to see the ending. Maybe I should just ignore it and be happier that way?

Do that. I beg you. Save yourself the mental torment.

I look forward to watching fanboys clamber to defend and buy this.

You guys just don't learn. I think you guys almost deserve such a shitty ending but that's going too far.

Fappy:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

I dunno, my man MiracleOfSound posted some interesting links on twitter today. Of course, I didnt read them yet, but he seemed to be pretty happy with them, saying they made the ending a lot better.

Fuck it, im going to go play the end in a few minutes. I have my Garrus cushion right here and my shower is operational, so according to Extra Credits, I am all set. Plus, then I can make that "Mass Effect 3: my final verdict" thread I have been burning to make.

You know Zeel, I'm still waiting for you to make a post on this website that doesn't use the word "fanboy". Guess I have to pull out the card again.

erttheking:
You know Zeel, I'm still waiting for you to make a post on this website that doesn't use the word "fanboy". Guess I have to pull out the card again.

Unfortunately, he was banned a while back.

And while he is fucking crazy (mean that in the nicest and most affectionate way possible), I think the word "fanboy" has a place in the whole Bioware/EA discussion.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

erttheking:

And while he is fucking crazy, I think the word "fanboy" has a place in the whole Bioware/EA discussion.

Was banned awhile back.......is that why he has a post directly above yours?

Jarek Mace:

And then we realised that Casey Hudson was indoctrinated by the Rea-... I mean EA.

No, he's right. We don't need to know. And we didn't need to know Reapers motivations either. That was stupid of them to reveal. Especially since the revelation was stupid (if it was true). Big mysteries are always a lot more fun if they remain mysteries. Like all the unanswered questions about the Island in LOST.

Aisaku:

I hope this means the indoctrination theory is true. If so, that would mean they didn't take control away from players, they indoctrinated us instead. And like everyone else who's indoctrinated, we wouldn't know until it was too late. I would very much like that. It would be a very cool thing to do.

Just think about it. Too troublesome to implement because of dialogue choices?
So what's the next idea? - Make the dialogue choices be a part of the indoctrination. Sounds plausible.

thebobmaster:
That last part sounds like the indoctrination theory was dead on.

Indeed, I can finally replay the game now, Crazy how just confirming something can change a persons perspective.

You should play the ending. Play it more than once. Embrace the chaos. Avoiding any outcome would be like you just saying "screw it" and letting the Reapers win.

lol

of course, if you do find acceptance, Bioware just might embed itself in your skull like a bioimplant.

Bioware and EA are holding the characters and the setting we care about hostage. That's what it all amounts to in my book.

That's the reason of the the fan outrage, the controversy... It's not something you reason you figure it out, it's a visceral reaction to a story you've become emotionally connected with.

Seen the original Evangelion? Yes, that's pretty much it.

Adam Jensen:
Like all the unanswered questions about the Island in LOST.

Hate to break it to you but everything in LOST got resolved and explained. They had the same ending as Ashes to Ashes (sequel to Life on Mars).

Too video gamey? Sorry, what were we playing again?

I'm convinced the ending was a good idea poorly done, and this confirms they made some bad artistic choices in how they came to the ending.

alrekr:

Adam Jensen:

Hate to break it to you but everything in LOST got resolved and explained. They had the same ending as Ashes to Ashes (sequel to Life on Mars).

Nice try. But I've seen LOST. 3 times.

"Bioware/EA, the court of public opinion finds you guilty of repeatedly: misleading, disappointing and ignoring your customers. How do you plead?"

"Not guilty. We would also like it known we find both you and the jury childish and unreasonable, and would also like more of your money."

"Court of public opinion sentences you to lose any and all brand loyalty. Next case."

Anything else Bioware tells its fanbase apart from "sorry" may as well just be farting into the wind at this point. They've got no credibility left in the eyes of the people who's opinions they've clearly ignored. And since a 2.99 iphone app infodump is EA's pitiful attempt to defend this gobshite I can hardly blame said them for their cynicism.

erttheking:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

erttheking:

And while he is fucking crazy, I think the word "fanboy" has a place in the whole Bioware/EA discussion.

Was banned awhile back.......is that why he has a post directly above yours?

dafuq?!?! He has come back from the dead!!!

In all seriousness, a mod must have gone back on a ban or something. I am 120% positive he was banned a few weeks back.

Adam Jensen:

Jarek Mace:

No, he's right. We don't need to know. And we didn't need to know Reapers motivations either. That was stupid of them to reveal. Especially since the revelation was stupid (if it was true). Big mysteries are always a lot more fun if they remain mysteries. Like all the unanswered questions about the Island in LOST.

Thing is, at the end of the final act of the final instalment a three-part trilogy, people deserve some answers. There's nothing wrong with trying to keep some mystery and intrigue, but simply waving your hands and shouting "Woooooooooh, it's a mysteryyyyyyyy" is nothing more than a cop out.

The Reapers' motivations aren't stupid simply because they got revealed. They're stupid because Bioware wrote them stupid. If they actually knew as much about creative writing as they claim to, they'd have been able to come up with an explanation that doesn't come across as completely half-arsed.

After all, knowing Skynet's motivations doesn't lessen the threat of the T-800 in the Terminator films. Knowing the motivations for the Machines didn't lessen the threat of the Agents or the surreal nature of reality in The Matrix. A great writer can take any villain and give them good motivations. Bioware simply dropped the ball.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Fappy:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

I dunno, my man MiracleOfSound posted some interesting links on twitter today. Of course, I didnt read them yet, but he seemed to be pretty happy with them, saying they made the ending a lot better.

Fuck it, im going to go play the end in a few minutes. I have my Garrus cushion right here and my shower is operational, so according to Extra Credits, I am all set. Plus, then I can make that "Mass Effect 3: my final verdict" thread I have been burning to make.

Everything I have heard from Miracle about the ending has been of despair D:

Huh. Bioware has locked down their forums.

I guess they were overwhelmed by the positive feedback they were getting regarding their new DLC.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Fappy:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

I'm surprised you're playing it at all. What are your thoughts?

Mine echoes most people's: It's outstanding until the last ten minutes. Though Shepards talks way too damn much on his own. That got on my nerves from the start to the finish.

Adam Jensen:

alrekr:

Adam Jensen:

Nice try. But I've seen LOST. 3 times.

Well after some further research turns out I'm confusing myself between the actual main LOST canon and the alt-timeline that is also canon (was it called the flash-sideways?). The main thing which caused this "confusion" is the comments of Cuse and Lindelof who have stated that the "two distinct timelines" are "equally real". No wonder I assumed that was the end when it was the real end but also not the end...my brain hurts.

Y'know i'm over the ending of ME3 now... I'm strangely at peace with it. Weird.

I think all the overblown backlash just made me stop caring. Yeah it's bad but it didn't kill your father bro...

Emiscary:
"Bioware/EA, the court of public opinion finds you guilty of repeatedly: misleading, disappointing and ignoring your customers. How do you plead?"

"Not guilty. We would also like it known we find both you and the jury childish and unreasonable, and would also like more of your money."

"Court of public opinion sentences you to lose any and all brand loyalty. Next case."

Anything else Bioware tells its fanbase apart from "sorry" may as well just be farting into the wind at this point. They've got no credibility left in the eyes of the people who's opinions they've clearly ignored. And since a 2.99 iphone app infodump is EA's pitiful attempt to defend this gobshite I can hardly blame said them for their cynicism.

Ah, you can't bring the courtroom into this without me throwing an...

At you XD

Seriously, yes the ending was pretty bad. Maybe that indoctrination theory makes it look better (need to find that at some point) Get over it. The rest of the game was pure awesomeness! Nobody seems to remember that and just harp the fuck on about the ending.

It was Bioware's best writing to date as far as i'm concerned. Remember Mordin's death? That bar in the sky? Drunk Tali?

One bad ending (or three) surely can't completely sour the entire rest of the game and the entire company can it?

Apparently so...

The Wykydtron:
The rest of the game was pure awesomeness! Nobody seems to remember that and just harp the fuck on about the ending.

That's because the ending was equivalent to that of having a good dog for 10 years and one day he suddenly decides to murder your entire family. After that you don't remember the good times you had with the dog, you only remember the horror of seeing your entire family slaughtered by someone you trusted.

Maybe I'm overreacting with the killer dog analogy, but the point is that we were betrayed by someone we trusted for years. And it hurts.

DustyDrB:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Fappy:

I'm surprised you're playing it at all. What are your thoughts?

Mine echoes most people's: It's outstanding until the last ten minutes. Though Shepards talks way too damn much on his own. That got on my nerves from the start to the finish.

To be honest I think it sucks pretty hard, unless you liked the first two games, in which case you will love it. Stating the obvious here, but its got some really big problems. In short: some puzzling decisions, story and its telling are flawed in the typical Bioware ways, and someone who has a prominent position in the ME studio is pretty damn lazy. Theres minor plot holes everywhere and the lore is almost always getting raped in one way or another. Also, I dont know who thought it would be a good idea to map use, move into cover, dodge and move out of cover to the same key, but that person needs a slap. The entire game is also laughably easy apart from those fucking banshees which are more annoying than challenging and cheat. (Once I dodged its one hit move and the game literally teleported me across an entire fucking room back into its arms. That was one of the, what, 3 times I died?)

Theres a lot of positives too, but I will save it for the thread that I will probably make tomorrow. So watch out for that.

EDIT: Its worth mentioning I did enjoy it quite a lot despite all the negatives though. Dont get me wrong, I love the Mass Effect games, and 3 is probably the best one. As for the ending, I will see. Need to finally finish it, but im stuck watching football right now.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Fappy:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

That link to the theorycrafting page. I read all of it. All 80 pages, and I'll be damned if that's not convincing evidence for the meta ending theory doing the rounds.
Spoilered because people might not want to know about it. Also contains a link to a forum for discussing said theory civilly.

Yeah the original fight with TIM was supposed to make him look like a huge reaper monster

And they cut it out because they knew TIM wasn't about physical strength but more about his intelligence, and making some super reaper creature that wasn't recognizable as TIM would sorta kill the point of confronting him.

Also I don't see what the big deal about a "Behind the Scenes of ME3" really is. I mean all they are going to talk about is how they created it, and how they brainstormed, not really much in terms of "These are the answers you were looking for"

Adam Jensen:

The Wykydtron:
The rest of the game was pure awesomeness! Nobody seems to remember that and just harp the fuck on about the ending.

That's because the ending was equivalent to that of having a good dog for 10 years and one day he suddenly decides to murder your entire family. After that you don't remember the good times you had with the dog, you only remember the horror of seeing your entire family slaughtered by someone you trusted.

Maybe I'm overreacting with the killer dog analogy, but the point is that we were betrayed by someone we trusted for years. And it hurts.

About two days ago I would have agreed with you. But I just can't get worked up about it anymore. The bullshit, overdone, ridiculous rage just nullifies the badness somehow. I was upset over the ending originally but after going through all the rage comments I just can't care anymore.

Oh the Relays got blown up and regressed everyone back to the stone age? Effectively ruining the entire epic sci-fi world that has been built up over the past three games? And Tali will never have her house on the homeworld?

Well who'd a thunk it?

My problem can be summed up in three words:

Complete. Global. Oversaturation.

So here's what I'm curious about - are all the hints at indoctrination supposed to be there, or are they an artifact of the design process?

Also, here's how to make indoctrination work with the dialogue mechanics: have auto-dialogue, with interrupts that give Shep precious seconds of free will and allow the player to make dialogue choices for a short time. How was this hard to implement?

Well, this makes sense. Looking back on it, probably not the best decision they could have made. But hey, that's hindsight.

I think RedLetterMedia said it best (paraphrased):

"Stories doesn't necessarily have to conform to the rules. But unless you really know what you are doing, you shouldn't stray too far away from the known formula."

In the end, neither Mac Walters or Casey Hudson had the required competence. In the end it just comes across as trying too hard to rip off the Matrix, 2001, and Deus Ex, when they should have sticked to the Star Wars/Star Trek vibe they had going so far.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked