In mass effect 2, should I destroy or keep the collector base?
Destroy
83.1% (49)
83.1% (49)
Keep
15.3% (9)
15.3% (9)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: ME2 repercussions; Do I destroy or keep the collector base? (possibly spoilers)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ok so I am playing Mass effect 2, I finished mass effect 1 and I want to bring my save over to mass effect 3 and I noticed from trailers that you are fighting cerberus which brings me to the question: To stop the reapers, should I preserve the collector base at the end of mass effect 2 or not? Which choice will I regret the least? And please don't spoil anything in mass effect 3.

Saving or destroying the collector base has little consequence in the actual game other than getting referenced in a conversation or two "Like when you blew up that Collector Base, Shepard."

That said, it does apparently have some effect on the ending to ME 3.

So really you just gotta ask yourself: do you wanna finish ME 2 as a Paragon that tells the Illusive Man to go shove it? Or do you want to finish as a Renegade as the Illusive Man's lap-dog? :P

Make saves for both lol?
That choice comes to ME3.

PS:Oh sorry,it doesn't really matter THAT much,I destroyed it and I have all the endings to ME3 available.It influences your final conversation with the Illusive Man.Just choose what you genuinely think is best.

Just pick whatever suits your character. Believe me when I say there will be no tangible long term repercussions to any of the decisions you make, so live in the moment.

About the only difference is how intact the giant robot's body is. If you destroy it, its just bits and pieces. If you kept it, its the whole body.

It's like the difference between picking Anderson or Udina for ambassador. A couple of conversational bits here and there, but zero affect on how things play out.

I don't think there are any...reapercussions.
sunglasses+yeeaah

Anti Nudist Cupcake:
Ok so I am playing Mass effect 2, I finished mass effect 1 and I want to bring my save over to mass effect 3 and I noticed from trailers that you are fighting cerberus which brings me to the question: To stop the reapers, should I preserve the collector base at the end of mass effect 2 or not? Which choice will I regret the least? And please don't spoil anything in mass effect 3.

If you keep the collector base you will have an easier Time getting the Illusive man to do something at the end of the game in ME3. Thats the only consequence.

DustyDrB:
sunglasses+yeeaah

That's the first good use, that I have seen, of that meme. Well done.

And, yeah, either choice has zero effect in the gameplay in ME3, besides a comment or two during conversation.

It doesn't make a difference in Mass Effect 3 either way. I won't spoil, so let's leave it there. It all depends on how you want to earnreputation points (paragon vs. renegade) and whether you want Miranda loyal or not.

Anti Nudist Cupcake:
To stop the reapers, should I preserve the collector base at the end of mass effect 2 or not? Which choice will I regret the least? And please don't spoil anything in mass effect 3.

So you want to hear what the effect will be, but you don't want to hear spoilers?

Nothing significant changes on any level if you destroy it or keep it. So do whatever conforms to your character's alignment, I suppose.

Someone made a list of what all the changes are based on choices.

Keeping the base get's you measly extra 10 points.
Wooo.

Just blow it up to piss TIM off.

Zen Toombs:

Anti Nudist Cupcake:
To stop the reapers, should I preserve the collector base at the end of mass effect 2 or not? Which choice will I regret the least? And please don't spoil anything in mass effect 3.

So you want to hear what the effect will be, but you don't want to hear spoilers?

I believe his question a test like the crucible

boag:

Zen Toombs:

Anti Nudist Cupcake:

I believe his question a test like the crucible

*BWAAAAAAM* Reaper BWAM, not Inception BWAM

Do you like the Illusive Man?

No - blow that crap up.
Yes - Give him the base.

Do you want to be friendly with him for ME3 because it will only affect what happens between you two. It won't affect the world or anything like that.

For the record there is a huge amount of hate for him so nearly everyone is gonna vote destroy.

Can you honestly enjoy video games this way? popping up on forums to get a consensus on what you should do? Dude. do what you want, that is half the fun of the series.

FYI. I blew it up but I loved illusive Man.I felt like a kid who disappointed his papa when he yelled at me.

Zeel:
Can you honestly enjoy video games this way? popping up on forums to get a consensus on what you should do?

I can see his view, if you're going for a paragon shep and the base fucks up your entire save it would suck. I'm all for do what you want and it's a learning experience when something you do eventually bites you in the ass, but if someone wants to play a certain way but makes a mistake that screws up a save with 70+ hours save, it's a bit unfair. If he thinks he'll enjoy ME3 with a perfect save more than without then I have no problem with him asking.

Just make multiple saves and go with your gut felling. Don't like the result? Then reload.

Netrigan:
It's like the difference between picking Anderson or Udina for ambassador. A couple of conversational bits here and there, but zero affect on how things play out.

You know what?

RJ 17:

Netrigan:

You know what?

In one of the books it's mentioned that Anderson steps down and Udina takes over. Although it would have been nice to get a mention in the actual game when you go to see Udina (although it is in the codex but i only read that after i completed the game)

But yeah that was pretty confusing, i had to look it up because i thought it was a save import glitch or something.

OT: as far as im aware, keeping the collector base increases the military strength score you need to get all the endings in 3.. but apart from that there's no difference.

Zeel:
Dude. do what you want, that is half the fun of the series.

I'm 99% sure it doesn't matter at all. I blew it up and never found myself saying "gee, I wish I had given Cerberus that Collector base." Blowing it up and pretending all the Reapers were on board is honestly your best move.

RJ 17:

So really you just gotta ask yourself: do you wanna finish ME 2 as a Paragon that tells the Illusive Man to go shove it? Or do you want to finish as a Renegade as the Illusive Man's lap-dog? :P

Yeah, ME 2's story really wrecked the Paragon/Renegade system. Since when was doing what you're told a renegade action?

RJ 17:

Netrigan:

You know what?

Apparently, it is due to events in the novels, which is pretty fucking stupid. That is where that cyberninja, Kei Leng, also comes from. You shouldn't have to read tie-in novels to know why things happened in the game.

Ilikemilkshake:

RJ 17:

Netrigan:

You know what?

In one of the books it's mentioned that Anderson steps down and Udina takes over. Although it would have been nice to get a mention in the actual game when you go to see Udina (although it is in the codex but i only read that after i completed the game)

But yeah that was pretty confusing, i had to look it up because i thought it was a save import glitch or something.

OT: as far as im aware, keeping the collector base increases the military strength score you need to get all the endings in 3.. but apart from that there's no difference.

I figured it happened in a book, but it still would have been nice to put something in the game for those of us who didn't read the books, otherwise it just comes off as very confusing. Kai Leng, on the other hand, was in a book as well. His sudden appearance, though, is actually understandable as he just kinda fits in with the flow of the story. TIM lost Miranda, his previous top agent, and as such needed a replacement. At least that's the first thing I thought when I first saw that unjustifiably arrogant sissified excuse for a sci-fi ninja. :P

Zen Toombs:

Zeel:

Yeah, I see what you're saying but..

RJ 17:

Netrigan:

You know what?

Zeel:

Zen Toombs:

Zeel:

Yes, yes. I planned on it, which is why what I said was in spoiler text.

EDIT: Wait, Zeel is back? And I'm having an actual conversation with him?

THIS IS MADNESS!

Seriously though, I thought you were banned. How'd you get back in?

RJ 17:

Ilikemilkshake:

RJ 17:
You know what?

I figured it happened in a book, but it still would have been nice to put something in the game for those of us who didn't read the books, otherwise it just comes off as very confusing. Kai Leng, on the other hand, was in a book as well. His sudden appearance, though, is actually understandable as he just kinda fits in with the flow of the story. TIM lost Miranda, his previous top agent, and as such needed a replacement. At least that's the first thing I thought when I first saw that unjustifiably arrogant sissified excuse for a sci-fi ninja. :P

True enough, although i agree that his sudden appearance fitted well enough, they didnt exactly do a good job of fleshing him out as a character (probably because they had already done this in the book but still)

Doesn't matter. Just another pick your explosion color moment. Oddly good foreshadowing on Bioware's part I guess.

Keeping it is Renegade but nets you more Readiness. But in the end? Doesn't even matter

DustyDrB:
sunglasses+yeeaah

If i could thumbs up this... i totally would
http://mirrors.rit.edu/instantCSI/
OT
I have nothing to contribute to the thread, i'm actually replaying 2 because when i played it a year ago i always had 1 person die... And i'm somewhat a perfectionist when it comes to people dying.

So i was curious what people had to say

Zen Toombs:

Zeel:

Zen Toombs:

THIS IS MADNESS!

Some moderator (who is clearly out to get me) made a mistake.

Zen Toombs:

RJ 17:

Netrigan:

You know what?

Worst part is that they don't even explain that in the game. I had to figure this out through reading forum posts. That beginning was a complete disaster. Bioware could've handled it way better.

Sagacious Zhu:
Keeping it is Renegade but nets you more Readiness. But in the end? Doesn't even matter

Are you positive about that? Cerberus is the one that gets the base, how in the world does the Citadel military benefit?

RedEyesBlackGamer:

RJ 17:

Netrigan:

You know what?

Apparently, it is due to events in the novels, which is pretty fucking stupid. That is where that cyberninja, Kei Leng, also comes from. You shouldn't have to read tie-in novels to know why things happened in the game.

Zen Toombs:

RJ 17:

Netrigan:

You know what?

Ilikemilkshake:

RJ 17:

Ilikemilkshake:

True enough, although i agree that his sudden appearance fitted well enough, they didnt exactly do a good job of fleshing him out as a character (probably because they had already done this in the book but still)

To all of the above: that's what I'm talking about. I really don't mind if they wanted Udina was the councilor, I don't even mind that this transition happened in a book. But yeah, throw us people that didn't read the books a bone. All it would have taken, as I mentioned when I first brought this up, a simple exchange between Shepard and Anderson that explains "Yeah, I got tired of playing diplomat, so I let Udina take over." Would have been that simple, but noooooo, I got to play the game assuming they did the "Fuck it, your ME 1 choice doesn't matter, we need Udina to be the councilor for an upcoming major plot point."

Zen Toombs:

Zeel:

Zen Toombs:

THIS IS MADNESS!

Uhh... who's Zeel?

Anyway, I say destroy the base. TIM will do no good with it. Also, take Miranda with you when you go fight the final boss in the Collector Base.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked