EA John Riccitiello thinking about charging money for bullets in games

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Found this on another site, it is a few months old but haven't seen it till now.

"When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time."

"A consumer gets engaged in a property, they might spend 10,20,30,50 hours on the game and then when they're deep into the game they're well invested in in. We're not gouging, but we're charging and at that point in time the commitment can be pretty high."

"But it is a great model and I think it represents a substantially better future for the industry."

Keep buying that DLC and subscribing to those "Premium Services" and this is how gaming will look like 5 years from now.

Wow...

WOW!!!

I am utterly speechless. I thought EA was bad but this takes it to a whole new level.

I'm glad I stopped buying games EA published.

Why can't EA just go round to people's houses and straight up steal their money, instead of making videogames to essentially do the same thing. I'd actually respect the overt nature of that.

And people will gladly pay.

1 per clip? People will walk to EA HQ and throw their wallets at them.

And the amusing thing is.... Some people on this very site will say it's a good thing.

Is he trying to dethrone Kotick for biggest prick in the industry? Because he's doing an admirable job. Of course, given that it's EA, they'll still run second fiddle to Activision.

It's funny because it's true.

Yay, just what we need to see in the gaming industry; more BS.

And after they are done with that ... Why not charge them a dollar for each death while we're at it?

Rawne1980:
...Some people on this very site will say it's a good thing.

It is a good thing. Let em do it, maybe then all the people who just gobble up any DLC a company puts out and then DEFENDS THEM FOR IT will get it through their heads that A - that company isn't some defenseless child who needs to be defended and should be scrutinized when required and B - how dumb they were / are for letting them get away with it for so long.

I say go for it EA, unleash your next shooter as free with a $1 charge to reload, I'll be over here, playing great shooters like Borderlands / 2, or BF1942 if I want some nostalgia.

This would be perfectly ok with a free to play shooter, but not a product for which people have already paid full price and then some. It's a bit like putting another 1 in an arcade machine to play again. No-one complains of that, so I don't see why it's not alright for free-to-play games to charge after a certain usage.

Well, a few years back people would've balked at "cutting out a companion character for day 1 payed DLC" and look where we are now.

I'll do business with companies that sell me fully-functional products. If EA wants to sell me a half-assed gaming service I will gladly shoot their offer down.

Wow.

Woooooooow.

I still maintain my stance of, "If people are willing to pay, then there's nothing wrong with it." However, in this case I would most certainly not buy a shooter that charged me for reloading.

MammothBlade:
This would be perfectly ok with a free to play shooter, but not a product for which people have already paid full price and then some. It's a bit like putting another 1 in an arcade machine to play again. No-one complains of that, so I don't see why it's not alright for free-to-play games to charge after a certain usage.

Yes but this is EA. They'll charge you $100 for the game. $20 for day 1 DLC and $10 for the right to play online. If I wanted to pay money every time I reload I'd go play paintball. If this becomes the norm, I'm done gaming.

Oh and of course this will punish the people who legally acquire the game, pirates will of course continue to play the game as normal.

Yeah. That'll never work. It'd probably just drive people into playing previous iterations of the game. Then there'll be the boycotters, both proper ones and the ones who then pirate it and perpetuate the cycle of blame...

But...but, why would you do that? What kind of heartless asshole would do something like that?

If anyone is fucking stupid enough to buy ammo in the middle of a game deserves to lost their money.

Im pretty sure he is kidding. I can't see how that kind of system would work. Perhaps if it was something like having to pay for every match you play online or something.

It would still be terrible though. Yes EA are that bad.

Well fuck you too, Luthor.

This shit won't fly. Dude is missing the logic behind why microtransactions work. (sigh) Glad I don't buy shooters anymore. The likelihood of my getting Dragon Age 3 just for the sake of finishing the story is slipping further away every time this wanker opens his mouth.

1? I'd rather knife than pay 1 to reload.

Oh dear god...this Man needs to die, or be put into a mental asylum..or something. I mean whatever case of the crazies he's got, he oughta be locked up before he does anything TRULY horrible..or be put out of his Misery.

I mean..seriously, charging 1 Dollar for reloading a Clip? Are you completely bonkers? Oh and John, here's a Idea. You will from now on only earn about 500 Dollars past the Cost of your House/Apartment/Water/Electricity. Meaning you only have 500 Cash for the whole month as disposable income, for food and everything else.

Report back to me after the Month is over how well that worked for you, you overpaid, stupid prick.

EDIT: Actually scratch that, every CEO who proposes that kind of Bullshit now has to live month to month with at most 500 bucks as disposable income. Because they are all equally stupid in this regard.

What happens if I die before I finished reloading? I believe I am entitled to a refund.

We will all go broke and have to resort to melee fighting.

EA LADIES AND GENTLEMEN

GIVE THEM A BIG HAND THEY WILL BE HERE ALL NIGHT

Well $1 for a reload sounds like a bargain compared to the $3/reload "premium" ammo.

Prometheus2112:
We will all go broke and have to resort to melee fighting.

And that's why there will be durability points for your combat knife ($10 to buy a new one when it breaks).

Well it's a 9 month old thing...

But I wouldn't be surprised if they're "working on it". You know, gradually. Getting there bit by bit...by finding ways to charge people extra...yeah.

They're not the only ones at it. On Battlestar Galactica online you could at one point buy ammunition that caused +50% damage for real money making the person firing the damn things unkillable, to the point where you could get killed in one pass!

Microtransactions: The day gaming died..

this already happens in World of Tanks kinda (which is just a fps for slow people :P ).

"gold ammunition" has higher penetration and does more damage

it is "optional"...but not really if you're playing at the top end in clan matches (however you do earn some in game via those matches afaik)

goose4291:
Microtransactions: The day gaming died..

I don't buy that. Microtransactions can work, and have. The trouble is that most companies don't know how to use them. City of Heroes does it reasonably well for example. Most of the stuff in their store is just bonus costumes and a couple of optional power sets. The costumes have no effect on gameplay whatsoever and you can still enjoy the game without the extra power sets. And some of the stuff like auras and capes can be unlocked at certain level thresholds, but if you think your time is more valuable you can pay 2 bucks to unlock them in the store and have them accessible to all characters on your account.

Not a great system, yeah, but functional. It would be better if all the content could be unlocked through missions and leveling, but hey. Baby steps.

I want to see the defence squad come in here and defend this. This is why I rail so hard against DLC's and the like. We have to nip this in the bud people. These guys arent about quality gaming they are about the money!

DrVornoff:

I don't buy that. Microtransactions can work, and have. The trouble is that most companies don't know how to use them. City of Heroes does it reasonably well for example. Most of the stuff in their store is just bonus costumes and a couple of optional power sets. The costumes have no effect on gameplay whatsoever and you can still enjoy the game without the extra power sets. And some of the stuff like auras and capes can be unlocked at certain level thresholds, but if you think your time is more valuable you can pay 2 bucks to unlock them in the store and have them accessible to all characters on your account.

Not a great system, yeah, but functional. It would be better if all the content could be unlocked through missions and leveling, but hey. Baby steps.

IIRC Turbine MMORGPs let you unlock all store content using points earnable in-game.

Also Arenanet's store is all cosmetic only items that don't affect gameplay.

I agree with you that microtransactions aren't that bad as long as they are used properly.

Zeel:
I want to see the defence squad come in here and defend this. This is why I rail so hard against DLC's and the like. We have to nip this in the bud people. These guys arent about quality gaming they are about the money!

I can defend it. If people want to waste their money on reloads, let them. If they aren't willing to, then this idea dies. It is just business.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Zeel:

I can defend it. If people want to waste their money on reloads, let them. If they aren't willing to, then this idea dies. It is just business.

Good business isn't my problem honestly. My problem is consumer rights. How can you defend this? do you benefit at all from watching them screw other people over? Wouldn't you rather everyone get good quality service at reasonable prices?

Seriously, whats your stake in this?

Zeel:
These guys arent about quality gaming they are about the money!

All of the big companies are "about the money". If you're under the delusion that these publishers provide great games out of the goodness of their hearts, you're sadly mistaken.

If a publisher could make money off of an incredibly shitty, under-developed game, they would. But they can't, so they're forced to make good (or at least passable, in most cases) games.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked