EA John Riccitiello thinking about charging money for bullets in games

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Zeel:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Zeel:
I want to see the defence squad come in here and defend this. This is why I rail so hard against DLC's and the like. We have to nip this in the bud people. These guys arent about quality gaming they are about the money!

I can defend it. If people want to waste their money on reloads, let them. If they aren't willing to, then this idea dies. It is just business.

Good business isn't my problem honestly. My problem is consumer rights. How can you defend this? do you benefit at all from watching them screw other people over? Wouldn't you rather everyone get good quality service at reasonable prices?

Seriously, whats your stake in this?

I tried sticking up for consumer rights. But people have to want to help themselves. So while they are getting nickeled and dimed, I'll just be playing my own games. We lost.

Dexter, I always really like your threads.
Please keep making them.

Fawxy:

If a publisher could make money off of an incredibly shitty, under-developed game, they would.

Give them time...

But they can't, so they're forced to make good (or at least passable, in most cases) games.

Depends from one to the other, some of them put more thought into quality while others put more thought into what's marketable...but again I will say my usual, I'm all in favor of shutting down any and every PR and advertising department anywhere and everywhere, and let the only source of advertisement be the word of mouth, let the product speak for itself. I almost share Bill Hicks' hatred for marketing.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Zeel:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

I can defend it. If people want to waste their money on reloads, let them. If they aren't willing to, then this idea dies. It is just business.

Good business isn't my problem honestly. My problem is consumer rights. How can you defend this? do you benefit at all from watching them screw other people over? Wouldn't you rather everyone get good quality service at reasonable prices?

I tried sticking up for consumer rights. But people have to want to help themselves. So while they are getting nickeled and dimed, I'll just be playing my own games. We lost.

That doesn't mean you have to come in here and defend the corporations. Please explain to me how "it's over" became "OMG CORPORATIONS ARE PEOPLE 2!"

You gain nothing from your current position. infact you have more to lose than anything. If you watched the video you know the battle isn't over yet. Consumer rights have been shafted, but we do still stand to lose much more. If you do not want this to happen then either protest or get out of the way of the protestors.

Zeel:

Take a few minutes to find your center and relax. If you need me to, I'll talk you down.

Dude, I've seen your posts all over the place. You really need to calm down. All you're doing is aggravating people with the overt hostility and utterly one-note faux-outrage.

That said, the only way consumers can protect themselves from this is to not play the game. Literally. Those of us here only make up a small minority of the gaming population. Most consumers don't hear about this stuff until after the titles launch. They don't keep up with gaming news like we try to. We're not a big enough force (usually) to make a dent in a major publisher's bottom line and force a change. And ratcheting up the angry rhetoric isn't going to change that, it just makes you look like a tool.

Zeel:
That doesn't mean you have to come in here and defend the corporations. Please explain to me how "it's over" became "OMG CORPORATIONS ARE PEOPLE 2!"

False equivalency.

Zeel:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Zeel:

You gain nothing from your current position. infact you have more to lose than anything. If you watched the video you know the battle isn't over yet. Consumer rights have been shafted, but we do still stand to lose much more. If you do not want this to happen then either protest or get out of the way of the protestors.

When did I defend anything? I just said that a producer has the right to make a greedy move and it is up to the market to respond.

Dexter111:
Found this on another site, it is a few months old but haven't seen it till now.

*Ahem* the Bioware forums?

...But yea, this doesn't bother me. I have Cheatengine at my side.

This is the kind of thing me and my friends would joke about...in fact we literally did mock EA saying that one day they would actually charge you money for the bullets in your gun! But we were fucking joking about that...

Do people still want to give the excuse that any gamer who opposes paying for something is "an entitled little whiner" like so many did in the countless Mass Effect 3 forums?

I'm telling you, if you mindlessly support DLC and don't question them on any level this is what the end result is. You need to draw a line in the sand and say what is okay and what is not. Thankfully...I think this is going way too far, even by EA's greasy standards.

I'll accept this. Just tweak it a little:

1. Fix the 'no gun' bug you fucksticks
2. And the freezing bugs
3. Get rid of the online pass. I just spent 8.50 on one, and the MP has more fatal bugs than the trenches of WW1.
4. Add in a 'Spec Ops' mode like in Modern Warfare.
5. Do it for free you money-grabbing asswhores.

Perfect.

I think this guy needs to be taken out into a back ally somewhere an beaten with sticks.

Rawne1980:
And people will gladly pay.

1 per clip? People will walk to EA HQ and throw their wallets at them.

And the amusing thing is.... Some people on this very site will say it's a good thing.

And the really sad part is that people will just roll over and accept this while inviting them to stamp on the other side of their faces.

DrVornoff:

Zeel:

Take a few minutes to find your center and relax. If you need me to, I'll talk you down.

Dude, I've seen your posts all over the place. You really need to calm down. All you're doing is aggravating people with the overt hostility and utterly one-note faux-outrage.

That said, the only way consumers can protect themselves from this is to not play the game. Literally. Those of us here only make up a small minority of the gaming population. Most consumers don't hear about this stuff until after the titles launch. They don't keep up with gaming news like we try to. We're not a big enough force (usually) to make a dent in a major publisher's bottom line and force a change. And ratcheting up the angry rhetoric isn't going to change that, it just makes you look like a tool.

Zeel:

False equivalency.

The only way to protect consumers from the gaming industry is not buy the games? Do you understand how ridiculous that sounds. There are many ways to protest the gaming industry. stone-walling them isn't going to work. Seemingly there are billions of people who don't buy their game, why would your purchase matter? The best solution I know is Bitch and boycott. Make sure they know why you aren't buying their games, BUT buy other games.

So you keep your little "lay down and take it" mantra to yourself. I'm not going to let them slide into my anus and rape me a wider asshole. the gamer force is there. We just need to stop beating ourselves down before we even begin. You know, like what you're doing

Last point. "false equivalency"? I wasn't equating anything. I was asking how he leaped from "its over" to "I will defend corporations".

RedEyesBlackGamer:

When did I defend anything? I just said that a producer has the right to make a greedy move and it is up to the market to respond.

backpeddling already huh? Well atleast you have some sort of conscience.

my post was "I want to see someone defend this" and then you went "I will defend this". Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Zeel:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Zeel:

"

How about people just stop buying games? Wouldnt that be A) more effective and B) a sensible thing to do?

I made a post a while back about the crash of the gaming industry, and for what it was worth, it seems companies like EA itself are hellbent on making that crash happen.

Is that ominous Star Wars music in the background? Nice touch XD
This was just an example. No one would be insane enough to make microtransactions THAT micro... would they?
As with any experiment in this industry, we consumers must vote with our dollars and make ourselves heard.

Zeel:

The only way to protect consumers from the gaming industry is not buy the games? Do you understand how ridiculous that sounds.

No less ridiculous than your idiotic idea of having people take the streets protesting for fucking video games.

Soviet Heavy:
Is he trying to dethrone Kotick for biggest prick in the industry? Because he's doing an admirable job. Of course, given that it's EA, they'll still run second fiddle to Activision.

My first thought upon seeing those quotes was that they must be trying to top Kotick for absolutely insane, foot in mouth, ass hattery. The fact that anyone could suggest this and say it's a great model is absolutely abhorrent. Like I need more reasons to never give EA money again.

Zeel:
The only way to protect consumers from the gaming industry is not buy the games? Do you understand how ridiculous that sounds. There are many ways to protest the gaming industry. stone-walling them isn't going to work. Seemingly there are billions of people who don't buy their game, why would your purchase matter? The best solution I know is Bitch and boycott. Make sure they know why you aren't buying their games, BUT buy other games.

Did you actually read a word I said? I'm going to go ahead and assume not.

So you keep your little "lay down and take it" mantra to yourself.

I would take that more to heart had I actually said that.

I'm not going to let them slide into my anus and rape me a wider asshole.

How very homoerotic. Something you want to get off your chest?

the gamer force is there. We just need to stop beating ourselves down before we even begin. You know, like what you're doing

No, the force is not there. You are not Che Guevara, you are a histrionic string of text on a computer screen. You and I are in the minority. We can't boycott in large enough numbers to force change, but we do have sufficient numbers to shift business over to EA's competitors. We can give our money to companies with better corporate cultures. If was feel they deserve it. I'll take passive aggression over screaming myself mute any day.

Last point. "false equivalency"? I wasn't equating anything. I was asking how he leaped from "its over" to "I will defend corporations".

False equivalencies are pretty much your stock and trade as far as I can tell, so who are we bullshitting?

boag:

Zeel:

The only way to protect consumers from the gaming industry is not buy the games? Do you understand how ridiculous that sounds.

No less ridiculous than your idiotic idea of having people take the streets protesting for fucking video games.

Bitch and boycott. A lot different. make sure they know why you aren't buying games. show that you are buying OTHER games. and they'll rush to compete. very simply process.

trying to crash the industry by getting EVERYONE(OR MOST PEOPLE) to not buy games is beyond stupid. If an industry crash happens it will be organic not some organized protest.

I want to should to all the developers chained up in the EA slave pens to run free or be forever tainted by the cuntiest publisher in existence! They've tainted Bioware, who knows who will be next!

totally heterosexual:
EA LADIES AND GENTLEMEN

GIVE THEM A BIG HAND THEY WILL BE HERE ALL NIGHT

Haha, perfectly sums up my reaction!

And what was this guy smoking at the time? I always thought EA couldn't astound me more with bad ideas, then they go right ahead and prove me wrong. Bravo, EA. Bravo.

I can't see this happening at all. Even EA isn't stupid enough to think this will pass. Even if it did I would be amazed if anyone was stupid enough to buy it... Actually no I wouldn't. But still, I don't see this ever happening.

If they tried this on something like Battlefield 3 I reckon most games would quickly turn into knife fights, because not a lot of people would be stupid enough to pay for things like this. I mean, $1 per clip? Considering the amount of ammo you burn through in a game of Battlefield 3, especially on PC, that's a lot of money. DLC and micro-transactions are, in some way, supposed to enrich the experience of the game, despite the money EA charge for it, they know this. This sort of thing wouldn't enrich the experience, it would destroy it. All this will accomplish is turning players away from Battlefield and onto Call of Duty. And EA wouldn't risk that with one of their biggest franchises. All this would do in the long run is hurt their profits.

I think this is just a joke.

DrVornoff:

Zeel:

Did you actually read a word I said? I'm going to go ahead and assume not.

So you keep your little "lay down and take it" mantra to yourself.

I would take that more to heart had I actually said that.

I'm not going to let them slide into my anus and rape me a wider asshole.

How very homoerotic.

the gamer force is there. We just need to stop beating ourselves down before we even begin. You know, like what you're doing

No, the force is not there. You are not Che Guevara, you are a histrionic string of text on a computer screen. You and I are in the minority. We can't boycott in large enough numbers to force change, but we do have sufficient numbers to shift business over to EA's competitors. We can give our money to companies with better corporate cultures. If was feel they deserve it. I'll take passive aggression over screaming myself mute any day.

False equivalencies are pretty much your stock and trade as far as I can tell, so who are we bullshitting?

Are you willfully this ignorant? The force isn't there? Really? Do i have to point out the GARGANTUAN amount of idiots protesting the bioware ending? The 60k RAISED because of it? Are you telling me this force is fictional? it's there damn it! The idiots can protest when they want to. When the issue concerns them!

The problem is this issue DOES concern them, they just don't know it yet.
So bitch and boycott. spread the word and take action.

By the way, so your rebuttal to the false equivalency thing is "but you make them all the time!". Silly. and no I don't make them all the time. Don't lie now.

boag:

How about people just stop buying games? Wouldnt that be A) more effective and B) a sensible thing to do?

Well, I would hope going "I'm not going to buy your game and this is why" should be even more effective.

Now if only people would learn the distinction between complaining and whining (it's mostly in the attitude, really, not in what is being said), and off we go.

Zeel:
I want to see the defence squad come in here and defend this. This is why I rail so hard against DLC's and the like. We have to nip this in the bud people. These guys arent about quality gaming they are about the money!

I'll give it a shot...

He's essentially saying that if you run out of ammo whilst playing it, you'll be able to buy new clips rather than wait and find some new ones. Now the corporation has every right to offer this, it's then the consumers choice whether they buy it. Whilst the general business model is reasonably dodgy, they way that he is suggesting it be applied is not actually an issue. It's the consumers choice to pay, they're not being coerced or blackmailed into it. So no, I don't see anything wrong with expanding on the service, where, in this case, they're not cutting content but just making it easier. You should also note that the pure amount of fuss it would be to purchase one clip of ammo would probably make it a service not so many people consider worth it.

Well that's my opinion, I look forward to finding out which kind of fanboy you decide I am.

Here's a thought! Why don't you pay us a dollar for every IP EA has ruined?

Antari:
Why not charge them a dollar for each death while we're at it?

So just like in an arcade machine (a highly expensive arcade machine)

Geesh. This is almost as bad as selling people one-time use keys to which they can open random spawning chests.

I'm with Zeel on this one. If all you do is not buy the game, they'll just blame piracy like they have been whenever a game doesn't sell well.

Zeel:

boag:

Zeel:

Bitch and boycott. A lot different. make sure they know why you aren't buying games. show that you are buying OTHER games. and they'll rush to compete. very simply process.

trying to crash the industry by getting EVERYONE(OR MOST PEOPLE) to not buy games is beyond stupid. If an industry crash happens it will be organic not some organized protest.

ah yes, because videogames are requirment in daily society to survive right?

I mean its the right of every person of every nation to play videogames as it is to eat, breathe and have a voice in government.

And because not buying videogames from companies that pull this kind of shit will immediately and certainly doom the entire industry to a financial collapse.

Look Chris Chan, i know you want your sonic chu, but you arent going to get people to protest about it beyond saying "hey dude, that game is shit dont buy it."

so stop with your ridiculous bullshit, because all it does in the long run is hurt the credibility of anyone that might share a similar stance.

Vegosiux:

boag:

Well, I would hope going "I'm not going to buy your game and this is why" should be even more effective.

Now if only people would learn the distinction between complaining and whining (it's mostly in the attitude, really, not in what is being said), and off we go.

Indeed, your proposal is better worded than mine, I would like to appropriate it and charge people a dollar to use it :)

Zeel:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

my post was "I want to see someone defend this" and then you went "I will defend this". Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

I stated that a move like this has a right to exist. That is as much defense that it will get.

Antari:
And after they are done with that ... Why not charge them a dollar for each death while we're at it?

No, no no. You won't have to pay for dying, you have to pay to respawn.

Luke3184:

Zeel:

I'll give it a shot...

He's essentially saying that if you run out of ammo whilst playing it, you'll be able to buy new clips rather than wait and find some new ones. Now the corporation has every right to offer this, it's then the consumers choice whether they buy it. Whilst the general business model is reasonably dodgy, they way that he is suggesting it be applied is not actually an issue. It's the consumers choice to pay, they're not being coerced or blackmailed into it. So no, I don't see anything wrong with expanding on the service, where, in this case, they're not cutting content but just making it easier. You should also note that the pure amount of fuss it would be to purchase one clip of ammo would probably make it a service not so many people consider worth it.

Well that's my opinion, I look forward to finding out which kind of fanboy you decide I am.

Corporation having a right to do it isn't a defense in why they should do it. Which is what I asked of you. Do you have a defense for sleazy business practices or not?
And actually they are being coerced to pay for it. did you watch the video to the end? he said that we get the gamers invested, there in the middle of playing, and when they are thinking conservatively we SLAP THEM WITH 1 dollar ammo. That IS coercion.

I'm sure when we do inevitably get to this point the fuss will be massive but there will still be people there defending it. Like you are doing right now.

Since you had to put that condescending little remark at the end. I've doved you Corporation fundy fanboy. because you fundamentally love being screwed by corporations.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Zeel:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

I stated that a move like this has a right to exist. That is as much defense that it will get.

That isn't a defence.

"it exists"

So what? I exist as well. Do I trump all arguments simply through my existence?

boag:
ah yes, because videogames are requirment in daily society to survive right?

I mean its the right of every person of every nation to play videogames as it is to eat, breathe and have a voice in government.

And because not buying videogames from companies that pull this kind of shit will immediately and certainly doom the entire industry to a financial collapse.

Look Chris Chan, i know you want your sonic chu, but you arent going to get people to protest about it beyond saying "hey dude, that game is shit dont buy it."

so stop with your ridiculous bullshit, because all it does in the long run is hurt the credibility of anyone that might share a similar stance.

How you managed to so profoundly misrepresent my argument is beyond me. Go forth boaq, toot that little misrepresentation horn.

"hey dude that game is shit because of this. make an informed decision" is what I want. but your "hey dude don't buy it" is good enough.

Vegosiux:

boag:

Indeed, your proposal is better worded than mine, I would like to appropriate it and charge people a dollar to use it :)[/quote]

he is just restating what I've been saying since the beginning. Are you going out of you way to disagree with me? Damn!

Zeel:

Are you willfully this ignorant? The force isn't there? Really? Do i have to point out the GARGANTUAN amount of idiots protesting the bioware ending? The 60k RAISED because of it? Are you telling me this force is fictional? it's there damn it! The idiots can protest when they want to. When the issue concerns them!

The problem is this issue DOES concern them, they just don't know it yet.
So bitch and boycott. spread the word and take action.

Sadly, I'd be willing to wager good money[1] that there won't be a great deal of follow-through on said boycott. EA/Bioware will let some time pass, dangle a new DLC or another sequel, and it'll be slurped up by most of the same masses making noises about this. They're willing to piss and moan, but when it comes time to put their money where their mouths are and pass on a game... principle can only go so far, you know.

(*Proudly and successfully boycotting EA since they first announced "Project Ten-Dollar", except being tricked by one they slipped into one of the Humble Bundles*)

[1] Or at least I would, if I cared

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or