EA John Riccitiello thinking about charging money for bullets in games

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

EA wants the Zynga-style pay-to-play "whales" market. Problem is they also want the one-time-transaction market. And if they try to have both at the same time, well... Good bye EA.

Everything I have to say in response to this is a violation of forum rules.

If this happens, videogames will be pointless and I might as well go and play paintball all day.

targren:

Zeel:

Are you willfully this ignorant? The force isn't there? Really? Do i have to point out the GARGANTUAN amount of idiots protesting the bioware ending? The 60k RAISED because of it? Are you telling me this force is fictional? it's there damn it! The idiots can protest when they want to. When the issue concerns them!

The problem is this issue DOES concern them, they just don't know it yet.
So bitch and boycott. spread the word and take action.

Sadly, I'd be willing to wager good money[1] that there won't be a great deal of follow-through on said boycott. EA/Bioware will let some time pass, dangle a new DLC or another sequel, and it'll be slurped up by most of the same masses making noises about this. They're willing to piss and moan, but when it comes time to put their money where their mouths are and pass on a game... principle can only go so far, you know.

(*Proudly and successfully boycotting EA since they first announced "Project Ten-Dollar", except being tricked by one they slipped into one of the Humble Bundles*)

On this we can agree. I doubt there movement means shit. but It's refreshing to see them try atleast.

[1] Or at least I would, if I cared

Zeel:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Zeel:

backpeddling already huh? Well atleast you have some sort of conscience.

my post was "I want to see someone defend this" and then you went "I will defend this". Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

I stated that a move like this has a right to exist. That is as much defense that it will get.

That isn't a defence.

"it exists"

So what? I exist as well. Do I trump all arguments simply through my existence?

I'm on your side and you are still making this difficult. When the only excuse that is given is that "Well, it is legal." then that is pretty damning criticism. A defense on how it is good for the industry? I'd have an easier job of defending Rick Santorum.

Oh yeah, just like a drug dealer! Get you hooked on that crap and then make you pay whatever we want, since you just neeeed that heroin! On your knees, fool!

Haha I love the background music to this.

I doubt this will go into effect, but if it does I hope it'll backfire massively.

Wow what bull shit! Someone please fire this man.

Lol captcha : geez louise

my thoughts exactly

goose4291:

Microtransactions: The day gaming died..

this isn't what that is.

this is making you pay to use NORMAL ammo, ya know the stuff you should be getting free regardless. so basically forcing you to pay up to even keep playing for more then 5 minutes or so (depending on how trigger happy you are)

Zeel:
Are you willfully this ignorant? The force isn't there? Really? Do i have to point out the GARGANTUAN amount of idiots protesting the bioware ending? The 60k RAISED because of it? Are you telling me this force is fictional? it's there damn it! The idiots can protest when they want to. When the issue concerns them!

You're that confident this will succeed?

The problem is this issue DOES concern them, they just don't know it yet.
So bitch and boycott. spread the word and take action.

Yes, act like a histrionic juvenile moron! Can't see that backfiring at all!

By the way, so your rebuttal to the false equivalency thing is "but you make them all the time!". Silly. and no I don't make them all the time. Don't lie now.

If the boot fits.

DrVornoff:

goose4291:
Microtransactions: The day gaming died..

I don't buy that. Microtransactions can work, and have. The trouble is that most companies don't know how to use them. City of Heroes does it reasonably well for example. Most of the stuff in their store is just bonus costumes and a couple of optional power sets. The costumes have no effect on gameplay whatsoever and you can still enjoy the game without the extra power sets. And some of the stuff like auras and capes can be unlocked at certain level thresholds, but if you think your time is more valuable you can pay 2 bucks to unlock them in the store and have them accessible to all characters on your account.

Not a great system, yeah, but functional. It would be better if all the content could be unlocked through missions and leveling, but hey. Baby steps.

I quite enjoyed the system in Company of Heroes: Online. Basically, you make money in game, by playing, or you could use real money. The only items you had to pay real money for was XP bonuses. Or, again, play the game and get the XP. It was a shortcut to get that XP, that's it.

Am I the only one here who thinks this is probably fake? Do we have any confirmation that this was actually said by this guy?

I like the music in that video. Would have been better with "Ave Satani".

That guy should change his name to Dick Dastardly.

wintercoat:
I'm with Zeel on this one. If all you do is not buy the game, they'll just blame piracy like they have been whenever a game doesn't sell well.

Pretty much this.

It's not about taking to the streets with torches and pitchforks, it's about simply raising awareness of a problem. Not buying the game is fine, but if you don't express why you're not buying the game how will they (and other gamers who may not be aware of the issue) know?

Zeel:

boag:
ah yes, because videogames are requirment in daily society to survive right?

I mean its the right of every person of every nation to play videogames as it is to eat, breathe and have a voice in government.

And because not buying videogames from companies that pull this kind of shit will immediately and certainly doom the entire industry to a financial collapse.

Look Chris Chan, i know you want your sonic chu, but you arent going to get people to protest about it beyond saying "hey dude, that game is shit dont buy it."

so stop with your ridiculous bullshit, because all it does in the long run is hurt the credibility of anyone that might share a similar stance.

How you managed to so profoundly misrepresent my argument is beyond me. Go forth boaq, toot that little misrepresentation horn.

"hey dude that game is shit because of this. make an informed decision" is what I want. but your "hey dude don't buy it" is good enough.

Hypocrisy seems to be your bread and butter buddy, just look at this next post.

Vegosiux:

boag:

How about people just stop buying games? Wouldnt that be A) more effective and B) a sensible thing to do?

Well, I would hope going "I'm not going to buy your game and this is why" should be even more effective.

Now if only people would learn the distinction between complaining and whining (it's mostly in the attitude, really, not in what is being said), and off we go.

Indeed, your proposal is better worded than mine, I would like to appropriate it and charge people a dollar to use it :)[/quote]

he is just restating what I've been saying since the beginning. Are you going out of you way to disagree with me? Damn![/quote]

Well then, how about you learn to type sensibly, civil and coherent posts, and not go of on stupid tangents that label you as a raving idiot next time and maybe, just maybe people will take you more seriously.

They may as well make you pay for your characters medical bills when he gets injured. It's just as pointless as charging for digital bullets.

EA is a Godless killing machine, we need someone to calm them the fuck down.

Now excuse me while I hire an assassin to kill mr Riccitello.

Please EA, if you wish to commit corporate suicide, don't shut the door on the way out; we need your development staff, but tell the rest they should go to another industry; you seem to be forgetting that you don't have a monopoly yet. Because if you do something like this, I will quite happily take my money elsewhere.

What exactly is all the hurt about? If EA released a game where players were forced to buy ammo refills, I wouldn't care. Why? Because they wouldn't get any of my money; I wouldn't play that game.

Zeel, I take it from your flat out negative response to this that you wouldn't play it either (I take it you didn't buy ME3 as well, right?). Suppose this game was released and you, me and all the other sensible players didn't buy it. Would it really bother you if enough idiots bought it for it to be a big success? Even if none of your own money went towards it? It's not my place to tell other people what not to buy.

This MUST be an epic troll.

Calling EPIC troll.

If not...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nostalgia Critic already said it in his flubber review. "WOW. That is the most blunt villain ever. I should really hate what an obvious cardboard cut-out he is, but to be honest, it's kind of refreshing. I just love the lack of creativity with him. It's like he just came out and said "I'm the antagonist. I tied your girlfriend to the railroad tracks, put a bomb on a bridge and ate puppies for dinner. No reason -- I'm just evil." [beat, then sits back and laughs maniacally]"

idarkphoenixi:
They may as well make you pay for your characters medical bills when he gets injured. It's just as pointless as charging for digital bullets.

You actually made me spurt out my drink there, well played sir.

Next up will be sending a real baliff round whenever you go broke on The Sims or making you pay enterance fees for games on FIFA.

Fawxy:

Zeel:
These guys arent about quality gaming they are about the money!

All of the big companies are "about the money". If you're under the delusion that these publishers provide great games out of the goodness of their hearts, you're sadly mistaken.

If a publisher could make money off of an incredibly shitty, under-developed game, they would. But they can't, so they're forced to make good (or at least passable, in most cases) games.

I'd be onboard for that. I'd be onboard for companies competing through quality.

They aren't doing that anymore. Now it is how well can we polish up this shitty game and how quickly can we send it out and for how much. I want companies to go back to the 'quality' competition. Everyone benefited from that. This new staple of like sending out half baked games and over hyping them has to go.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

I'm on your side and you are still making this difficult. When the only excuse that is given is that "Well, it is legal." then that is pretty damning criticism. A defense on how it is good for the industry? I'd have an easier job of defending Rick Santorum.

Alright fair enough. I found issue in your defence, but if that isn't really your defence. Then there is no issue.

OK, I'm convinced now that EA is doing this to give itself more power.

How, you may ask.

Well, by doing stupid stunts like this, and doing even stupider ones in the future they're making more people turn to piracy, by making them think that by pirating they're costing them money.

Then when piracy is much more common in the future, EA will go crying to the government and get MORE power over the consumer by installing some remote viewing thing into our computers to make sure we're not pirating.

They should do it. I want them to do this. Wanna know why? Because no matter how much money you can squeeze out of fans with DLC and whatnot, something like this would never work. This would be the end of EA. If they do this, the majority of people will never buy any of their games again. It would be the end of them.

This has to be a joke right? I've always tolerated DLC in the past but this.

That man is the earthly embodiment of Satan and must be destroyed.

It's like saying "If had a penny for every bullet,projectile fired in the entire gaming medium,I'd richer than the richest alien in the entire universe!",and that's goddamn genius.

Dexter111:
Found this on another site, it is a few months old but haven't seen it till now.

"When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time."

"A consumer gets engaged in a property, they might spend 10,20,30,50 hours on the game and then when they're deep into the game they're well invested in in. We're not gouging, but we're charging and at that point in time the commitment can be pretty high."

"But it is a great model and I think it represents a substantially better future for the industry."

Keep buying that DLC and subscribing to those "Premium Services" and this is how gaming will look like 5 years from now.

Actually I've had a similar idea of a Multiplayer FPS game where you would buy ammunition - not weapons, for each weapon, and for each person you kill - you get his ammunition. Problem here is that some higher tier weapons require better more rare ammunition while the lowest of them is dirt cheap, so you can convert the ammunition of the base pistol into game currency and then into your needed gun. This means that one has to conserve ammunition and to use a variety of weapons with different ammunition types - or just stick with one and always buy it. When you die and your ammunition is picked up you lose all of the ammunition you got in that round. You can only have a limited amount of ammunition before you enter the fray and if you need more you take it from dead corpses. What about melee? You can only use it in sneak attacks and it will involve a short animation where you kill the other player.
You can hijack the other player's gun but you can't keep it after the session, meaning that if you try the weapon you might want to get it yourself. Accessing the weapons means that you need to reach a certain level of proficiency, but also among these there will be other weapons - which have very similar stats to the normal ones of the same tier but use a lower tier ammunition, which is the perk of these premium weapons.

Vegosiux:
Well it's a 9 month old thing...

But I wouldn't be surprised if they're "working on it". You know, gradually. Getting there bit by bit...by finding ways to charge people extra...yeah.

Actually, Mass Effect 3 has this, after a fashion.

After running out of ammo the player can use an ammo resupply expendable. While the player can't buy these directly for real money, they can potentially get three of these from Veteran Packs ($1 US) (the other three possibilities are an instant full health recover, a one use rocket launcher that will kill anything it hits or an instant revive from the dead (the Veteran packs give the player two three packs of any of these four)).

The packs can be earned through in game activity, but, the general concept's been implemented already.

I hope they do it. It's such a horrible idea, that no one would buy it, and the company would crash and burn within hours if they did do it. That'd teach them a lesson.

WoW Killer:
What exactly is all the hurt about? If EA released a game where players were forced to buy ammo refills, I wouldn't care. Why? Because they wouldn't get any of my money; I wouldn't play that game.

Zeel, I take it from your flat out negative response to this that you wouldn't play it either (I take it you didn't buy ME3 as well, right?). Suppose this game was released and you, me and all the other sensible players didn't buy it. Would it really bother you if enough idiots bought it for it to be a big success? Even if none of your own money went towards it? It's not my place to tell other people what not to buy.

If there was a situation where a bunch of idiots could buy the game and it would have zero impact on the industry as a whole. Then no. I don't care how some idiots spend their wages.
However, right now, everything we do effects the industry. do you really think that if EA games can get away with charging people money to reload, they'd stop? Or would it become a staple in their games? And EA games owns alot of developers. I do not want to imagine how much shit EA games would do if they can get away with charging for ammo.

The problem to me lies in the overarching effect. We let the DLC slip by and now we can't even get games without DLC's. I rather the gaming force move as a unit then become divided as the 'casual market retards" and "smart gamer consumers". As a unit we are much stronger. hell, lets not forget that the casual market morons are A SIGNIFICANT force in the industry. We can not impact the industry without them.

So the real answer to your question is yes. Yes it would bother me.

MysticToast:
Am I the only one here who thinks this is probably fake? Do we have any confirmation that this was actually said by this guy?

I assumed this was a joke when I saw it. Does anyone have confirmation either way?

Zeel:
If there was a situation where a bunch of idiots could buy the game and it would have zero impact on the industry as a whole. Then no. I don't care how some idiots spend their wages.
However, right now, everything we do effects the industry. do you really think that if EA games can get away with charging people money to reload, they'd stop? Or would it become a staple in their games? And EA games owns alot of developers. I do not want to imagine how much shit EA games would do if they can get away with charging for ammo.

The problem to me lies in the overarching effect. We let the DLC slip by and now we can't even get games without DLC's. I rather the gaming force move as a unit then become divided as the 'casual market retards" and "smart gamer consumers". As a unit we are much stronger. hell, lets not forget that the casual market morons are A SIGNIFICANT force in the industry. We can not impact the industry without them.

So the real answer to your question is yes. Yes it would bother me.

So EA start putting it in all their games. I stop buying EA (already done this; I don't like DLC). Activision follows suit? I stop buying Activision. All the big publishers the same? You get the idea.

It's not like they'll be no games left; the Indie market is getting bigger every year. The void left by mainstream publishers turning away sensible gamers will only improve the Indie market. And you know what? Indie games are better anyway.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked