EA John Riccitiello thinking about charging money for bullets in games

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

RickyRich:
But...but, why would you do that? What kind of heartless asshole would do something like that?

Bro, its called want and every man, woman and child ever has it and will continue to have it. At one point in your life or someone elses life you will do something to gain a advantage in money, stuff or something else that matters to you or to society.

They want money, so they will try to milk money every way they can, its how the system works and as of right now, consumer rights is in the shitter because everyone trusts the happy brand on the front.

goose4291:

Microtransactions: The day gaming died..

No, gaming will die when there is no longer gameplay, simple as that. Micro-transactions have worked in games like LoL, Super Monday Night Combat, Combat Arms, Maplestory and many other MMOs, and arguable Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2. Micro-transactions are great way to gain money for something completely and utterly optional, when kept in check. The people who are buying Micro-transactions generally are smart consumers and know when their getting ripped, or someone very mouthy tells everyone not to play X game because it rapes your wallet.

------------------

Guys, this is the fucking reason you don't buy from EA, since they forgot how to treat consumers right a long time ago. But someone will defend it and support it and we will all be paying for it in the future, so speak with your wallets.

Zeel:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Zeel:
I want to see the defence squad come in here and defend this. This is why I rail so hard against DLC's and the like. We have to nip this in the bud people. These guys arent about quality gaming they are about the money!

I can defend it. If people want to waste their money on reloads, let them. If they aren't willing to, then this idea dies. It is just business.

Good business isn't my problem honestly. My problem is consumer rights. How can you defend this? do you benefit at all from watching them screw other people over? Wouldn't you rather everyone get good quality service at reasonable prices?

Seriously, whats your stake in this?

if some idiot actually pays for that then he doesn't deserve his own money.

Whitbane:
Yay, just what we need to see in the gaming industry; more BS.

Long as we keep rewarding them, that's what we get.

And what we deserve.

Zachary Amaranth:

Whitbane:
Yay, just what we need to see in the gaming industry; more BS.

Long as we keep rewarding them, that's what we get.

And what we deserve.

Problem is, it means that the people who NEVER buy DLC (like me) are missing out on great games because other people are willing to. And I have an idea of who these other people are.

Remember the Skylanders debacle a while back? How they sell far more than half the game's content in the form of physical figurines? No one in their right mind would buy that game. Apart from kids.

It's not their money, why should they care? Parents eventually cave to the pressure and end up shelling out 70 or whatever on them. Just as parents would cave into pressure and keep buying little Timmy bullets for his favourite FPS.

I understand that this isn't something anyone can change. It's how capitalism works - if it makes money, you win. But I'm also asking that you understand that, and stop blaming the entire gaming community for the rich, spoilt minority. Vote with your wallets, people. And for the love of Zenithar don't buy the ME3 ending DLC.

Don't put on your tinfoil hats just yet, this shit will never slide. I mean, seeing what's been happening with just the last few minutes of ME3, this is something the entire gaming community would come together against.

Rawne1980:
And the amusing thing is.... Some people on this very site will say it's a good thing.

Oh but it is good.
More weight on the crap mountain that the gaming industry is so it is one step closer to well deservedly collapse under the weight of its own bullshit.
EActivision should go even crazier although I have a hard time coming up with ways how that would be possible.

Full price singleplayer games with always on DRM that needs to "renew its license" for another 60 bucks every x months anyone?
You really have to try coming up with ways to compound what is a reality today at this point.
Still, that doesn't sound as crazy as monetizing consumable goods that are central to gameplay like ammunition.

Snotnarok:
Remember when games tried to give you the most for your money? Hey you bought our game, have a CD with some of the soundtrack!/Official poster!/Artbook/etc?

Yes, I distinctly remember that happening last year when I bought Human Revolution. Also, when I bought New Vegas before that.

Getting zaeed in ME2 for pre-ordering was simply a thank you to the people who decided to pre-order. However, EA got it in their heads that instead of rewarding their loyal fans for buying it day 1 they want to nickel and dime them. Considering the trash EA puts their customers through its time for a boycott. ME3 was the last straw for me, I can do without them.

Erm, or you could just find a Support character to throw you an ammo pack. Or do what I do, switch to side arm and if that runs out of ammo too, go knifing. Not like you live forever in Battlefield anyway, you're quite rarely out of ammo.

No, this is not the "grim future", this is an idiot talking shit out his arse, tunnel-visioning the "how can I make more money?" thought. And anyone giving any credit to what he's saying... well, not gonna name names, but I can just remind you all of the old idiot vs. the guy who listens to him.

Screw this type of thinking and marketing. I am going to do my damndest to never buy an EA product again. Already off to a good start by not buying mass effect 3, if I can resist that one there's nothing that EA can throw at me that will have any more effect.

And here I was thinking that EA couldn't surprise me anymore.

tthor:
This honestly sounds like a SATIRE of DLC.

Pretty much. Satire doesn't stand a chance against reality anymore.

It'd help my compulsive reload habit, at least...

Soviet Heavy:
Is he trying to dethrone Kotick for biggest prick in the industry? Because he's doing an admirable job. Of course, given that it's EA, they'll still run second fiddle to Activision.

You know, I can name 7 things off the top of my head that EA has done in the last 6 months that have really pissed me off. I can only count 1 for Activision; the whoring-out of CoD.

I hope they do implement it, and then see huge profit losses, and investors backing out, and then hopefully they'll go bankrupt and we'll have no more online passes.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE IMPLEMENT THIS, EA!

Westaway:
Snip.

Edit: Love that I posted right below Spaghette.

HAHAHAHA, WHAT THE FUCKING McFUCK?!

Aww... This is too good.

Though it does bring up an interesting idea of having to purchase ammunition with in game currency, to show the value of not wasting shots. Might go well with a tactical shooter. I'd like to see this implemented into a game at some point

CA-CHING!

And thus EA proceeds forward, bathed in money, eating money, sleeping on money. While bankrupting the poor saps who continued to pay for such silly things.

Oh well, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

The truth is that this would only drive players away from their products. I would be inclined that the comment is only a thought exercise....Right?

SirBryghtside:
Problem is, it means that the people who NEVER buy DLC (like me) are missing out on great games because other people are willing to. And I have an idea of who these other people are.

I've never got the whole "never buy DLC" thing. All you really have to do is not purchase the content that's unacceptable. There's plenty of good, worthwhile DLC.

Remember the Skylanders debacle a while back? How they sell far more than half the game's content in the form of physical figurines? No one in their right mind would buy that game. Apart from kids.

The problem being, that's not true. A bunch of adults bought and played the game. It didn't just sell to children, and some of these consumers certainly were in their right mind. Bioware/EA has a similar deal with figures/statues/whatever and you can't honestly tell me that's aimed at kids. Skylanders even has the benefit of being well-reviewed and seemingly well-liked by adults.

It's not their money, why should they care? Parents eventually cave to the pressure and end up shelling out 70 or whatever on them. Just as parents would cave into pressure and keep buying little Timmy bullets for his favourite FPS.

Thankfully, parents are happy wallets with legs and have no financial restrictions or self-control.

But I'm also asking that you understand that, and stop blaming the entire gaming community for the rich, spoilt minority.

Don't blame a "spoiled minority" for something that has become ubiquitous. This minority is either actually a plurality or not even close to a minority. Day 1 DLC is around because it sells phenomenally, not just to a "spoiled minority."

Vote with your wallets, people.

After all that, I can't believe you're offering that line of crap. People ARE voting with their wallet, and apparently, you're the minority. If you don't like the outcome, don't encourage it. This is one of the major claws with the concept of "voting with your wallet." And the worst part is, you seem completely savvy to that.

And people keep asking me why I don't buy games from EA, Activision, and Ubisoft anymore. They say to me, "But if you like the game, why deny yourself the fun?!"

Uh...BECAUSE I HAVE FUCKING PRINCIPLES. And the shit EA, Activision/Blizzar, and Ubisoft have been doing the past few years are beyond appalling.

Speak with my wallet? I intend to continue doing so.

[pardon the expletives]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA seriously?
let,s see let,s say the average game takes about 10-20 reloads that,s $10-$20 for that kind of money people are going to leave your game for COD! Was he HIGH or something? I know it,s not wrong for companies to make money but this is just stupid.

I feel like it is necessary to leave this video here

Vigormortis:
And people keep asking me why I don't buy games from EA, Activision, and Ubisoft anymore. They say to me, "But if you like the game, why deny yourself the fun?!"

Uh...BECAUSE I HAVE FUCKING PRINCIPLES. And the shit EA, Activision/Blizzar, and Ubisoft have been doing the past few years are beyond appalling.

Speak with my wallet? I intend to continue doing so.

[pardon the expletives]

you could just buy used

everyday i drive down 101 and pass EA headquarters in redwood city it makes me cringe. i always thought EA was from hell.... i wonder what would happen if a big (occupy movement) went down in front of their HQ or a big party celebrating all things anti-EA

They can try it. I will never purchase a game that has a bullshit system like this.

I know it sounds overly dramatic, but this is what evil looks like. It's not big and flashy. It's subtle, sinister, and in this particular instance, absurdly greedy.

GiantRaven:

Snotnarok:
Remember when games tried to give you the most for your money? Hey you bought our game, have a CD with some of the soundtrack!/Official poster!/Artbook/etc?

Yes, I distinctly remember that happening last year when I bought Human Revolution. Also, when I bought New Vegas before that.

Lucky you then? I don't see that half as often as before. Every Ratchet and Clank game came with a poster for a while, now Collectors Editions of games don't even have a manual.

I'm not going to defend this. it's a bullshit tactic if they ever implement it. But while yeah they make games, they are a company. They are in it to make money. And this will make money.

Bitch and whine all you want but they are doing exactly what they are ment to be doing. Don't like it? don't play it.

Sarcasm aside, this is probably going to happen, isn't it? And people are going to willfully just toss money at everything they can. Or maybe the general mass of people will prove me wrong for once, shoot this down, and then EA will shrivel up and die, alone.

All game publishers are about making as much money off you as they can. Gamers need to stop fighting amongst themselves and unite against them so this bullshit doesn't continue.

ThingWhatSqueaks:
Well $1 for a reload sounds like a bargain compared to the $3/reload "premium" ammo.

Prometheus2112:
We will all go broke and have to resort to melee fighting.

And that's why there will be durability points for your combat knife ($10 to buy a new one when it breaks).

Meh, I'll be in my tank, roadkilling.

my friend's sister got paid $18240 the prior week. she has been working on the computer and bought a $320100 home. All she did was get fortunate and make use of the information written on this site CashHuge.com

"A product is worth whatever it's purchaser is willing to pay for it."

You, the game playing public, have brought us to this place.

Not me, I have never bought DLC. Ever. If it doesn't come on a disk, I don't want to hear about it.

Zeel:
Well man. Boycotting huge publishers shouldn't be necessary. This relationship we have with the industry shouldn't be so antagonistic.

Indie games are fine and all but I like certain games EA produces. boycotting them because they get too greedy seems ridiculous. There is a balance here we should strive for that before we take drastic measures.

Though if it did come to that charging for ammo thing. I'd have no choice but to boycott the publisher.

For clarity, I'm not suggesting a full publisher boycott would ever be necessary, I just wouldn't buy or play any game with payed for ammo. If EA did happen to put this in every single game they released (which is not going to happen) then I wouldn't buy anything from EA; I'm not at a loss doing this, I'm just not putting money towards games that I don't want to play.

But even though I expect such monotisations would be profitable, there is no way they would become mainstream. They would be a very lucrative niche market; a minority of players would ensure profitability. The majority of gamers would still not buy such games, and there would be a massive market left open if publishers decided to push these things like you're suggesting. This is why it won't happen. Even EA wouldn't be stupid enough to not make games for that mass market. If they did; their loss. More money for the Indie devs. Win/win.

Any game that's going to charge me real life money for ammo, is a game I won't be playing.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked