EA Shutting Down Servers for Games That Require Online Pass

Pages 1 2 NEXT

imageDuring the latest wave of very quietly announced EA server shutdowns (which in themselves are troubling with some games seeing just 15 months of online up-time) there has been some troubling news; EA is shutting down online features for MMA, a flagship EA sports title that only came out 18 months ago and was one of the first games to feature the online pass system. So EA, why do we have to pay for online passes again? no please explain it to me.

EA Sports senior vice president Andrew Wilson is quoted saying;

"We want to reserve EA SPORTS online services for people who pay EA to access them. In return, we'll continue to invest in creating great games and offer industry-leading online services to extend the game experience to everyone. I don't think even the harshest cynic can argue with that and instead I think fans will see the value we're committing to deliver when they see all the services, features and bonus content that is extending the life of their products."

But obviously this has been shown to be untrue. In-fact the time before shutdown of serves is getting shorter. Was that statement actually an ironic joke? because it sounds a bit like one now.

This totally erodes the basis of their justification of the online pass to the core. If online services are just going to be shut off for customers who have paid for the service in the last 12-18 months what exactly is the money going to again EA? How is this anything but naked abuse of your customers. This is an insult to anyone who has paid for these passes, its pretty unacceptable to pretend do be charging for an enhanced service and flat out lie about it.

Sauce; http://beefjack.com/news/ea-announce-server-shutdowns-online-pass-games-affected/

Why is there a need to extend the life of your products...

...if your products can be made to last for years?

That is one thing I have to hand to EA. They have never tried to hide the fact that they are screwing you. Mind you they don't really have to care. Because inbetween all those lines of PR bullshit the one thing you have to figure out is. As a customer of EA, you no longer matter. Because you have already made the critical mistake of giving them money. Your old news, they are moving on to your little sibling, or someone who hasn't had the misfortune of dealing with them yet.

As the target audience is kids. They don't need to wait long for storms to blow over even if they are the worst the industry has ever seen. Every game has a brand new fresh bunch of people paying and regretting. From my point of view they are driving the entire industry into the ground, just like every company they have ever bought. Its unfortunate other companies think they've got the right recipe. All they are doing is exploiting the consumer to the fullest extent they possibly can. And it would appear they can get away with pretty much anything.

I think EA needs a boycott, seriously if enough people give them the finger, they will have to cater to us.

How many people are still playing on those servers? Is it worth keeping them running? Or are we immediately jumping to "EA is horribad!" Especially with their annual titles, it would not surprise me that most of the players are making the jump to each new version. 18 months after release, the server population is probably pretty light. So why keep them running?

Aris Khandr:
18 months after release, the server population is probably pretty light. So why keep them running?

I don't know, because people still want to play those games online? Sorry, but going pretty much "Sucks to be you!" on people is pretty "horribad" when it comes to attitude towards your customers.

Aris Khandr:
How many people are still playing on those servers? Is it worth keeping them running? Or are we immediately jumping to "EA is horribad!" Especially with their annual titles, it would not surprise me that most of the players are making the jump to each new version. 18 months after release, the server population is probably pretty light. So why keep them running?

So lets say you and a friend have a game thats just gone through its 18 month EA love period. And is now offline. Guess what, no multiplayer for you. Why? Because EA doesn't want to keep a piece of software running on one of the thousands of computers they have. Or rather if you want multiplayer you can always buy next years edition. And thats the point its to force you to buy the next game if you want anything other than a single player game.

ouch that has to suck for anyone who plays EA sports games because those severs always get shut down so quickly

mxfox408:
I think EA needs a boycott, seriously if enough people give them the finger, they will have to cater to us.

I dont think they care. EA are so far gone, man. They made something like a 500 million dollar loss in 2010.

IT JUST KEEPS HAPPENING

I TOLD YOU ABOUT SCREWING YOUR CUSTOMERS BRO

THIS IS TERRI- oh wait its just for a sports game? Dont care.

daveman247:

THIS IS AN OUTR-- oh wait its just ****ing EA again seriously why are people still buying their crap

I wonder if the online passes will still be listed for purchase in the online marketplaces.

chickenhound:

daveman247:

THIS IS AN OUTR-- oh wait its just ****ing EA again seriously why are people still buying their crap

THIS IS HORRI-- oh wait it's just EA being EA , is anyone truely surprised?

You didn't know they do this? Seriously people smell the bloody coffee...
And remember that Origin is legally bound to keep your downloadable games only for a year, so take that into your account before going down and dirty with EA.

How this company still attracts customers after all the shit they've pulled just baffles me.

Well then... I guess that means some people are going to have to buy 'EA Sports Title 2012' huh?

How long have they been doing this again?

croc3629:
Well then... I guess that means some people are going to have to buy 'EA Sports Title 2012' huh?

How long have they been doing this again?

Since 2008, if you mean the sudden vanishing multiplayer component of sports games. They warn you about it well after you've bought the game and are playing it. And therefore can't return it. So they are honest about screwing you once they've done it. They may be doing a slight variation on that these days. I don't know they may have added a laugh track.

Aris Khandr:

The issue is that for many EA games, those servers aren't just needed to play multiplayer, they're needed to access single-player content that they've locked off from the game.

It means that once the servers shut down, anyone who buys a brand new copy of the game would be unable to access all the content, both single player and multiplayer. They'd essentially have a gimped version of the game.

I dunno about you, but I don't want a games industry where all single player games become gimped after a certain sell-by date.

Hazy992:
How this company still attracts customers after all the shit they've pulled just baffles me.

By holding great studios hostage.

Durgiun:

Hazy992:

What like Bioware? /snorts

Nah, I have no opinion of Bioware as I haven't actually played any of their games :P

Hazy992:

Durgiun:

Hazy992:

Nah, I have no opinion of Bioware as I haven't actually played any of their games :P

I attribute any and all mistakes BioWare has made to the influence of the Dark Side that is EA.

Durgiun:

Hazy992:

Durgiun:

I attribute any and all mistakes BioWare has made to the influence of the Dark Side that is EA.

It wouldn't surprise me if that were the case.

Durgiun:

Hazy992:

Durgiun:

Most of the talent that made bioware what it is jumped ship or was fired shortly after EA took over. Why pay for talent when a monkey will work for a banana? Mind you they have those monkeys doing some amazing things, but storytelling isn't one of them, or public relations.

EA, Activision and Ubisoft are all at the forefront of this latest customer abuse trend, it's disheartening to see how they can get away with their crimes. part of me believes that this ties in to the used game problem.
the videogame industry is in a very sticky situation here, and not the fun kind of sticky situation. no. i'm talking about the kind of sticky situation where you're alone in a dark and wet cellar with no pants on shackled to a brick wall, standing waist deep in a pool of unusually warm goo.

mxfox408:

I agree if we all were to stop feeding them they will die =D

People still buy things from EA...?

Where did your life go so wrong? Stop it.

mxfox408:

Exactly. After the clusterfuck that is the BF3 Multiplayer, the ME3 fiasco and this, I think we should just not acknowledge their existence.

Antari:
That is one thing I have to hand to EA. They have never tried to hide the fact that they are screwing you.

Well, they DID try and hide the fact by pretending the online pass was going to extend the life of the servers.

Otherwise, yeah, they know they don't have to care. Everyone's just going to buy the new ones anyway.

I'm amazed people are up in arms over this, these games represent lower than 1% of their online population. Why keep a server up if no one is playing on it?
But I guess it is time for everyone to grab their pitchforks.
SCREW EA! SAVE THOSE GAMES NO ONE CARES ABOUT!

Self imposed obsolescence is sustainable business practice 101. See also Gillette razors for further example.

To continue to maximise the profit your product makes, you have to ensure people stuck in the old era aren't;

A) Draining resources (granted EA choose to run their own servers, but that isn't for stability or customer satisfaction)
B) Refusing to move on (buying new product)

EA shutting the doors on their services forces the hand of those that were happy playing older games, forcing them into modern times - thus being created where there was none. I.e. much like a phone or a TV, when an individual upgrades they upgrade to the best of their ability - so in the case of FIFA this would mean buying this year's installment.

At the very worst, they've stopped an individual taking data (not possible to lose a "customer" in this circumstance), at the best;

+ 1 sale.

EA also place a 30 day warning on all game boxes warning they will shut down their service when they please.

Remember: A lot of the games you enjoy exist solely because of this operating model. Some games you may not appreciate, but on the whole, the market is better for EA being present.

What does shutting down servers mean exactly? Does it make those games unplayable online? Or does it require you to run your own servers instead of using EAs?

EA doesn't care that you paid.
EA only cares that you keep paying.

Any questions?

More seriously, though, there may be grounds for a lawsuit or at least a small claim here - esp. as regards the singleplayer DLC (for example, the Saboteur) being cut off. Time to test the limits of the corporate safety nets known as EULAs?

and nothing of even remote value was lost

A friend of mine just wrote an article about how multiplayer titles are dying just because of the fact they are never up for very long due to being shut down or a new title comes out and everyone moves to the next game. Since you can't make your own servers in most games anymore, it means you are shit out of luck.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked