Amazon giving full refunds for opened copies of Mass Effect 3

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

http://www.analoghype.com/video-games/playstation-3-news/amazon-offering-a-full-refund-on-already-opened-copies-of-mass-effect-3/
http://www.gamepur.com/news/7451-amazon-giving-full-refunds-gamers-who-bought-mass-effect-3.html

By now you have undoubtedly run across someone - be it a disgruntled gamer or journalist - that was displeased with Bioware's handling of their recent release, Mass Effect 3, if you haven't, well, that's excellent for you. But in case you have, and you share their thoughts on the DLC and ending related controversy surrounding Mass Effect 3, then you're in luck!

Online retailer, Amazon is offering a full refund for customers that were left unsatisfied with Mass Effect 3. What makes this especially interesting is the fact that this offer even extends to opened N7 editions of the popular sci-fi RPG. As seen on Bioware forums, you can receive up to $87.95 for the N7 edition. So if you've already beaten the game and hated it, I'd recommend taking Amazon up on this generous offer.

Wow, that's pretty generous.

...I'll be keeping mine, but I can see why you'd take them up on this.

Dang, I was just about to post this. I was literally, about to post after I double checked.

Anyway, some people are mad with the ending of Mass Effect 3, I get that. But I don't really think this is the right way to go. Not even close. This is just stupid. I'm baffled that it's even allowed.

ChickNaney:
Dang, I was just about to post this. I was literally, about to post after I double checked.

Anyway, some people are mad with the ending of Mass Effect 3, I get that. But I don't really think this is the right way to go. Not even close. This is just stupid. I'm baffled that it's even allowed.

What exactly is so stupid about giving back a bad/faulty product sold to people using false advertising, dare say?

God forbid people actually trying to hold up their consumer rights over companies like that. Those stupid, stupid entitled people, why don't they just hand over their money and then shut up after that till the next time they're supposed to fork over their wallet.

Amazon proves once again why I worship them more then god. Their like the console version of STEAM, only better and no restrictive DRM :D.

For the time being, I have to call BS on this until someone who has purchased it in this forum confirms this with some kind of proof.

There is nothing about this on amazon's website

Typing in "Amazon Mass Effect 3 full refund" into Google gives you stories about a few people who said that they "totally emailed Amazon and they gave them their money back, we swearzies". That's all we have on this (Each sites "Source" is a user who states that Amazon refunded them. Granted, I could have missed one with an official source).

IF this is true, that's setting one hell of a dangerous precedent and I think it's pretty foolish of Amazon. "I didn't like this game!" says I. "Well Amazon let me return the last game I didn't like, I'm gonna return this one now!" "What do you mean you won't take this return!!!" and so on...

defskyoen:

ChickNaney:

What exactly is so stupid about giving back a bad/faulty product sold to people using false advertising, dare say?

God forbid people actually trying to hold up their consumer rights over companies like that. Those stupid, stupid entitled people.

I don't believe in the entitled gamer argument.

However, this guy bought the game, played through all 40+ some odd hours (debateable, I haven't played it yet, so I don't know) of it, all for free. I don't think that's right, especially when he got all the goodies that the Collectors Edition came with. If I didn't like one part of something and got a refund of it, I'd be getting loads of my money back from everywhere. Just because the ending isn't satisfactory, doesn't make it a "faulty product." It's just not what you had expected.

And the link to the consumer rights thing has absolutely no meaning. Peter Molyneux would be broke if it did.

If it's true then it seems like an extremely poor decision on the part of Amazon to me. But eh, it's their money, why should I care. Is it even possible, though? You can hardly resell the returned copies with the keys already being used, after all. And EA'd have to deactivate the used keys in the first place.

defskyoen:

How exactly is ME3 faulty? I played through the game and it never crashed, I only encountered a few very minor bugs and the general gameplay was more than satisfactory. And what exactly was the 'false advertisement'?

And I really hope that you aren't talking about the ending here, as the fact that you didn't like it doesn't make the game 'faulty'. As a consumer you are entitled to a functioning product which ME3 is. You are not entitled to a satisfactory ending of a story or anything of the kind.

tippy2k2:
For the time being, I have to call BS on this until someone who has purchased it in this forum confirms this with some kind of proof.

There is nothing about this on amazon's website

Typing in "Amazon Mass Effect 3 full refund" into Google gives you stories about a few people who said that they "totally emailed Amazon and they gave them their money back, we swearzies". That's all we have on this (Each sites "Source" is a user who states that Amazon refunded them. Granted, I could have missed one with an official source).

IF this is true, that's setting one hell of a dangerous precedent and I think it's pretty foolish of Amazon. "I didn't like this game!" says I. "Well Amazon let me return the last game I didn't like, I'm gonna return this one now!" "What do you mean you won't take this return!!!" and so on...

Except there's a huge difference between this and your analogy.

Huge outcry for ME3's ending is practically everywhere you go on the Internet. Seriously go to some of the funny short and kind of stupid videos like DR. Evil just saying the word "riiiiight" and in there you see people commenting "my reaction to the mass effect 3 ending" with multiple thumbs up. Seriously you can't miss these complaints.

Amazon seemed to have taken noticed (well who doesn't notice) and now doing something (if true) that no other company or retailer is doing at the moment and now giving full refunds.

Your example is just you and you alone not liking a game for some reason, where the majority either has no reaction or disagrees with your opinion. So obviously, Amazon would deny your request.

How exactly would you be able to return a PC copy?

I wouldn't even think about it doing it with my copy, but the only way to do it with a registered PC copy would be to have EA's blessing, and I can't see them willing to part with any cash.

edit - my two cents.

I'm not fond of the whole returning of items just because you don't like them, especially when it comes to something of a creative nature. If the product is broken (i.e Dead Island on launch) then fair enough, but ME3 isn't broken in any regard.

Jove:

tippy2k2:
snip

Huge outcry for ME3's ending is practically everywhere you go on the Internet. Seriously go to some of the funny short and kind of stupid videos like DR. Evil just saying the word "riiiiight" and in there you see people commenting "my reaction to the mass effect 3 ending" with multiple thumbs up. Seriously you can't miss these complaints.

Amazon seemed to have taken noticed (well who doesn't notice) and now doing something (if true) that no other company or retailer is doing at the moment and now giving full refunds.

Your example is just you and you alone not liking a game for some reason, where the majority either has no reaction or disagrees with your opinion. So obviously, Amazon would deny your request.

You are correct, there is a big difference between the large outcry here and my little outcry if I were to hate my next gaming purchase.

However, ultimately it does set a precedent for people to ask for a refund if they don't like the game. Amazon certainly doesn't HAVE to give you any of the money back if I use this precedent to try to return "Barbie Horse Adventures" but that precedent is still established and it could potentially come back to bite them later.

I feel it's foolish of Amazon to open this Pandora's box but if they think they can get good publicity and are able to keep it closed, more power to them (this is still assuming that this is even a true thing going on). I can just imagine this causing big problems down the road as people attempt to return every shitty game that they didn't like because Amazon allowed them to return this one.

tippy2k2:

Jove:

tippy2k2:
snip

You are correct, there is a big difference between the large outcry here and my little outcry if I were to hate my next gaming purchase.

However, ultimately it does set a precedent for people to ask for a refund if they don't like the game. Amazon certainly doesn't HAVE to give you any of the money back if I use this precedent to try to return "Barbie Horse Adventures" but that precedent is still established and it could potentially come back to bite them later.

I feel it's foolish of Amazon to open this Pandora's box but if they think they can get good publicity and are able to keep it closed, more power to them (this is still assuming that this is even a true thing going on). I can just imagine this causing big problems down the road as people attempt to return every shitty game that they didn't like because Amazon allowed them to return this one.

Well that's pretty much the big picture here isn't it? Good PR. Ever see the movie Yes Man? Ok movie (I thought it was pretty funny) and yes, it's just a movie but it has a scene with this similar situation.

A guy works in a company that loans people money for whatever ideas or business propersitions a customer has. Most of the time, this person would reject the loans because people that have come up to him had dumb ideas in his opinion that would never make money or have the company get the refund back.

But this time, the person decides to accept and approve loans to EVERY SINGLE PERSON that comes up to him. No matter how bad, stupid, or good the ideas are. At first, it looked like the biggest mistake he ever did and something that should get him fired, but a miracle happened. 90% (or something like that) of people have payed their loans in full plus intrest. A % the company has never experienced before. People are happy and trust the company now with huge confidence while the company at the same time makes a lot more money. The person was promoted immediately.

Again, just a movie but you get the idea. Great PR IMO will always be the most dominate business model over whatever model companies like EA, Gamestop, or Activition are doing, no matter how great it looks in the short term.

Jesus Christ

If this is real I swear... Really guys is this what we've come to? 40+ hours of high quality entertainment and you're just gonna take full refunds for a questionable ending? I have had enough of these disingenous assertions! The fact is that so, so, so many people are citing the entire rest of the game as solid fucking gold. 10 minutes of content should not be reason enough to throw the game at a wall and declare the entire series "RUINED FOREVER"

I hope this is some poor attempt at trolling, I really do.

And you, yes you about to tell me how wrong I am and how the game has misleading advertisements and deserves that attempted lawsuit. Stop. Right there. Don't make me cite how retarded this shit would look in an actual courtroom.

Still i'm not even sure what I think of Amazon pulling this off. Best customer service ever if this is true but at the same time... Ehh it just seems a little wrong to me.

I used to agree with the critisism as well. Until it hit the roof carried on into space and probably knocked the Moon out of orbit.

It brings to mind the saying "how can I stand with you if I can't stand you?"

And i said I wasn't going to post anything serious in any new ME threads... Looks like my Batman jokes aren't enough here. At least one good thing has come out of all this mess.

Other than people who somehow didn't know about the "From Ashes" DLC thing and bought the normal version of the game, I really have no idea why Amazon would do this, but anyway great move by them, if true it can only be good publicity for them.

Jove:

Well that's pretty much the big picture here isn't it? Good PR. Ever see the movie Yes Man? Ok movie (I thought it was pretty funny) and yes, it's just a movie but it has a scene with this similar situation.

A guy works in a company that loans people money for whatever ideas or business propersitions a customer has. Most of the time, this person would reject the loans because people that have come up to him had dumb ideas in his opinion that would never make money or have the company get the refund back.

But this time, the person decides to accept and approve loans to EVERY SINGLE PERSON that comes up to him. No matter how bad, stupid, or good the ideas are. At first, it looked like the biggest mistake he ever did and something that should get him fired, but a miracle happened. 90% (or something like that) of people have payed their loans in full plus intrest. A % the company has never experienced before. People are happy and trust the company now with huge confidence while the company at the same time makes a lot more money. The person was promoted immediately.

Again, just a movie but you get the idea. Great PR IMO will always be the most dominate business model over whatever model companies like EA, Gamestop, or Activition are doing, no matter how great it looks in the short term.

You're citing a Jim Carrey film as evidence of intelligent business practice?

Poor examples also, by all intents and purposes Activision have a hideous public image - but they own the most powerful entertainment item in existence.

EA have a horrendous image (or had, it seems to be on the repair) yet they are also on the podium as strongest publishing house.

Gamestop supposedly have a bad image, yet are ridiculously successful.

Public relations aren't as important as you think in the entertainment sector.

this is one of the dumbest things i've ever seen. all this just for a 10 minute ending wow glad i'm not going to sell it becuase of a cheap ending

tippy2k2:

Amazon have previously done the same with Dragon Age II actually: http://social.bioware.com/forum/Dragon-Age-II/Dragon-Age-II-Playstation-3-Technical-Self-Help/Amazon-offering-full-refunds-on-DA2-within-first-30-days-even-if-opened-6784553-1.html

They are quite a different company when it concerns customer satisfaction, EA probably wouldn't refund a product if it cut off someone's hand and is likely to do it again, but I wouldn't be so skeptical about this.

Just posted this here to let people know that they have a recourse to get their money back if they got their copy of the game off of Amazon and are dissatisfied or feel cheated by it and all the PR lies spun by EA/Bioware.

The Wykydtron:
And you, yes you about to tell me how wrong I am and how the game has misleading advertisements and deserves that attempted lawsuit. Stop. Right there. Don't make me cite how retarded this shit would look in an actual courtroom.

Still i'm not even sure what I think of Amazon pulling this off. Best customer service ever if this is true but at the same time... Ehh it just seems a little wrong to me.

You seem to be another of the specimen of people that can't comprehend the difference between a lawsuit and a consumer complaint using the correct procedure at the right institutions.

It's a PR move for Amazon. As noted they've done it before.

distortedreality:

I wouldn't even think about it doing it with my copy, but the only way to do it with a registered PC copy would be to have EA's blessing, and I can't see them willing to part with any cash.

edit - my two cents.

I'm not fond of the whole returning of items just because you don't like them, especially when it comes to something of a creative nature. If the product is broken (i.e Dead Island on launch) then fair enough, but ME3 isn't broken in any regard.

And no, it doesn't require EA's say so, not even for a PC copy. What Amazon is doing here is eating the cost of the game themselves. They're not going to re-sell these copies, they're gonna trash 'em.

They see an opportunity to earn brownie points and have calculated the cost of the refunds to be less than the value of the warm fuzzies they'll create by doing this.

That's all there is to it.

evilneko:
It's a PR move for Amazon. As noted they've done it before.

distortedreality:

edit - my two cents.

And no, it doesn't require EA's say so, not even for a PC copy. What Amazon is doing here is eating the cost of the game themselves. They're not going to re-sell these copies, they're gonna trash 'em.

They see an opportunity to earn brownie points and have calculated the cost of the refunds to be less than the value of the warm fuzzies they'll create by doing this.

That's all there is to it.

But the physical copy has no real value once it's been registered with Origin - the user who returned the disc could keep the digital copy unless EA cancel the purchase, which is why I said EA have to approve it.

distortedreality:

But the physical copy has no real value once it's been registered with Origin - the user who returned the disc could keep the digital copy unless EA cancel the purchase, which is why I said EA have to approve it.

This is not Amazon's problem. If Amazon wants to give that customer their money back, they don't need to ask EA's permission.

I wish someone had offered to give me a full refund for Duke Nukem Forever. That game was way worse and I didn't even finish it!

defskyoen:

ChickNaney:

God forbid people actually trying to hold up their consumer rights over companies like that. Those stupid, stupid entitled people, why don't they just hand over their money and then shut up after that till the next time they're supposed to fork over their wallet.

Excuse me? A bad/faulty product? False advertising?

Please oh please point me to where this is a bad/faulty product and what they falsely advertised.

Does this mean I can demand a refund for every video game in which I disliked the ending? Or every movie? My God you people are so entitled it's ridiculous.

You know, I subscribed to the conspiracy theory that this ending controversy was fabricated in an effort to cover up the garbage day-one-on-disk-DLC. However, this outcry over the ending has me rather amused at this point. Amazon is getting my brownie points.

I love Amazon, and no its-only-a-PR-move hatespeakers will deter me.

Vahe LedBetter:

defskyoen:

ChickNaney:

Please oh please point me to where this is a bad/faulty product and what they falsely advertised.

Does this mean I can demand a refund for every video game in which I disliked the ending? Or every movie? My God you people are so entitled it's ridiculous.

They said it was not going to be an ABCD ending and that is exactly what they got. They said the DLC wasn't on the disk, only to find out that editing a config file got you the character.

This might actually be the first time in history that opened games can be sold back for full price. Try doing this at GAME, or gamestop and they'll give you about 5% of that price....If you're lucky.

tippy2k2:

Jove:

tippy2k2:
snip

Honestly I doubt it will ever come to that. I can think of one other time the online community has generally been of one mind on a subject. That was when Blizzard was going to use real names on their forums. In times like that, when a large potion of the online community is truly united, there is a problem that should be dealt with. It is nearly impossible to make an uproar like this. The internet is a fickle beast and usually we tear each other apart when someone raises an issue. In those rare occasions that something is truly unifying though, something has to give.

That being said I don't feel Amazon should pay for Bioware/EA's mistakes.

I worked for Amazon for a very short period of time. In that time however I found that they are more than willing to trade money for good will whenever it is economically feasible. Also as a customer I cannot tell you how many times Ive contacted them simply to find out where my order is only to be refunded my shipping and/or have my order replaced despite not asking for either of those resolutions but specifically asking for them NOT to.

So honestly I dont find this all that surprising from Amazon if it is indeed true.

However, this is a very big problem.

I am normally all for the consumers dictating the actions of corporations. However, this is an example of the consumers creating a dangerous and horrible precedent.

I do not care if the ending of the game is a gay Shepard raping an infant with a rabid Liger bred for its skills and magic, You do not try to force an alteration to an artistic work no matter how much you dont like it.

It would be like demanding Chuck Paluknik rewrite fight club

This is sooo wrong. People pushing this agenda should feel ashamed for what they are doing, and the worst part of it is, Bioware is showing signs of caving to this, and it looks like, if this is true perhaps amazon is too. Again, sets a VERY bad precedent.

Other thought: While were at it, why not force Rocksteady to "fix" the ending of Arkham City. I mean how do you "kill" the Joker in the Batman franchise? You knew they were going to do something they were not supposed to when they gave Batman a sword and a gun. Cmon everyone, all together now~!

tl;dr No one should be encouraging customers to do it regardless of how they felt about it.

I gotta say that Amazon is being pretty generous here, but also that this idea is completely idiotic and setting a bad precedent. Seriously, if all it takes is people complaining about a part of a game to get a refund after completing it then everyone is gonna start trying to return games after they're opened and whining if they won't take the return. I only see this going badly...

evilneko:

distortedreality:

This is not Amazon's problem. If Amazon wants to give that customer their money back, they don't need to ask EA's permission.

Well yes and no.

You're right in that it's amazons money to do what it wants with - but it also causes a major problem for EA. I wouldn't want to try picking a winner if those two went to war.

1. People bitch that they didn't like ME3 and no retailer will give them their money back.
2. Amazon offers them their money back. In full, no less.
3. People have one less thing to complain about.
4. Some people will be disappointed with reduced complaint fodder, making the sad.

I approve.

If I was head of Amazon I would fire whoever came up with the whole full refund thing. It is just bunch of crybabies. They bought it and fully played it; they should live with it. This whole unwarranted rage is getting way out of hand. BioWare/EA and sellers like Amazon need to stand strong, slap these people in the face and tell them to live with what they get.

We really are raising a world of people that can't take the slightest bit of disappointment in their lives.

The babies are hurt lets get full retribution for the tiny little scratch to their fragile little egos.[Sarcasm]

I mean come on. This is ludicrous. For the life of me, I have never seen this shit before. I have seen so many triple A games that people have been severely disappointed with and have been horrible, but did those people get refunds for those games. No, because that would be crazy. I would understand of the game was heavily glitched(story disappointment doesn't count) or a disc was physically broken, but because people played all of a game liked it except for the ending, so they get a refund. That is utter bullshit.

These whiners really won the lottery on this one. They got a terrific 40 to 50 hour gaming experience with just the single player, and they essentially got to have it for free.

Again this crap is getting out of hand.

Edit: I think next time I go to the movie theater and I don't like a movie I sat all the way through, I'll just ask for my money back and if they don't give it, I'll break the register and take it.(Of course I'd never do that, but I've proved my point.)

viranimus:

I do not care if the ending of the game is a gay Shepard raping an infant with a rabid Liger bred for its skills and magic, You do not try to force an alteration to an artistic work no matter how much you dont like it.

Wow, way to insinuate that being gay is somehow bad.

Vahe LedBetter:

*CLAP CLAP*
OI! Get with the program here.

Freechoice:

viranimus:

Wow, way to insinuate that being gay is somehow bad.

HUH? Wow, uhohkay. Way to read entirely too much into that. Sorry if thats your interpretation of it, because that's not what I was implying.

But.. I guess I can understand. I mean I did not specifically extoll the virtues of homosexuality and my undying love for it in mentioning homosexuality, so that must mean I said it in a context of that being something bad, wrong, or evil.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked