Bioware Confirms Game Extending DLC

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Bioware, more specifically Casey Hudson has announced that they are creating game extending DLC. Downloadable content that will extend the game past the ending, like Fallout 3's Broken Steel.

Here is the link http://news.yahoo.com/mass-effect-3-game-fans-campaign-ending-195542082.html

Any thoughts on the subject people?

Game extending could just mean pre ending dlc, if thats the link i think it is, wont open on my goddam phone

I think it should be free.

The question is, what will it be? I do like the sound of, "We also recognize that some of our most passionate fans needed more closure, more answers, and more time to say goodbye to their stories."

"Noting feedback from players that the ending was too bleak."

HA! No one cared that it ended on a downer...they cared about the fact that the ending didn't make any sense if you're supposed to take a literal interpretation of the events that it depicts!

And yeah, just up and saying "The End" and learning absolutely NOTHING about what happens to the other races of the galaxy after the war kinda pissed people off too. Made'em think none of their choices had any purpose whatsoever. I disagree with that notion, but I can understand where they're coming from. :P

Ok, they're releasing it now. Let's hope that they don't cock it up.

'Game extending' doesn't necessarily mean 'new ending.'

So I'll believe it when I see it.

Frankly, knowing EA/Bioware, what I'd expect is a few 'game extending' DLC packs, then at the very end of the year of DLC they'll release a DLC that modifies the ending. That way they get the most money out of the fans.

Wow, If the outcry managed to get Bioware to announce this DLC the game community might be getting more powerful.

Incoming shit storm(and Zeel)

Prepare for lulz to ensue

AC10:

Now you see, THIS is entitlement.

Extending could mean that they are just letting you play past the end like in Mass Effect 2, where you could finish up any missions you missed before the Collector Base.

I am glad that they are taking notice of the customer dissatisfaction, but I am wary of what they are promising, I will not buy the DLC until other people have reviewed it and posted it on youtube. I would like to see more people follow this line of thought.

Because this

Hudson said the game had been designed with a series of endings to key plots to allow players to "carry the knowledge of these consequences with you as you complete the final moments of your journey."

sounds like half a statement.

Available to download sounds better than available to purchase.
I CAN DREAM ALRIGHT

"We'll keep listening, because your insights and constructive feedback will help determine what that content should be," he said. "This is not the last you'll hear of Commander Shepard."

No. We don't want more adventures with Shepard, we just want an ending that makes sense and has closure.

OhJohnNo:

AC10:

Now you see, THIS is entitlement.

Players are entitled to the endings that Bioware publicly stated were available in the game. They were not.

Most importantly: I don't have the game and don't plan on buying it any time soon, so I really don't care about the ending of ME3. However, if your game's ending dissatisfies 80% (more?) of your players giving them the PRIVILEGE to give more money to your company for overpriced DLC that actually puts a satisfying conclusion to their series is absolutely insulting.

This is very similar to FF 13-2 in that the ending was basically "haha, now you have to buy the REAL ending". These are bullshit business practices that I will have no part of.

I want to clarify, I think DLC that gives fans more ending choice and closure to the story should be free. If they add a bunch of post game content, that content should cost money; but they really should make free DLC which modifies the ending.

It took them precisely two weeks to admit that trying to emulate Childhood's End doesn't really work out when you don't put as much thought into it as Sir Clarke.

I'll admit, I expected longer. Credit to the whiny fanbase on this one. Fight the power!

hazabaza1:
Available to download sounds better than available to purchase.
I CAN DREAM ALRIGHT

Indeed you can my good man, indeed you can.

Except, ya know, most of those upset aren't angry that the ending is "sad".

It's because it made zero sense, spat on all your 100+ hours worth of decisions, and provided zero closure for the rest of the galaxy you tried so desperately to save.

I acknowledge that there are a few upset fans that have taken their anger too far (suing Bioware only makes US look bad, genius), but Bioware's PR really, really sucks.

This is a step in the right direction though (fingers crossed).

This just takes the fucking cake.

Day one dlcs, crappy rpg elements, sub par writing quality. And what gets these fanboys to move their asses? A shitty 5 minute cinematic. All because there's no shack up mini game at the end of the series.

God help us if they charge people for it.(which we know they will) I wont stand for that screwy shit either. Then again, maybe I shouldn't even give a shit? Maybe I should let you guys indulge for once. Let's see how much money EA games can pilfer.

This news is disappointing.

Hal10k:
It took them precisely two weeks to admit that trying to emulate Childhood's End doesn't really work out when you don't put as much thought into it as Sir Clarke.

I'll admit, I expected longer. Credit to the whiny fanbase on this one. Fight the power!

The only credit due is to the perplexing amount of whiny fanboys.

They deserve no respect however. Whining because you silly game fantasies weren't indulged instead of protesting the overall dip in writing quality. Makes this entire cause moronic and petty.

Zeel:

Day one dlcs, crappy rpg elements, sub par writing quality. And what gets these fanboys to move their asses? A shitty 5 minute cinematic. All because there's no shack up mini game at the end of the series.

God help us if they charge people for it.(which we know they will) I wont stand for that screwy shit either. Then again, maybe I shouldn't even give a shit? Maybe I should let you guys indulge for once. Let's see how much money EA games can pilfer.

Oh yeah, god forbid that we be satisfied with the rest of the game and not with the ending, god forbid that we criticize them for not giving us what they promised us, and god forbid that they actually respond. And again you drop the word fanboy, do I have to look up the princess bride meme again? Seriously you use that word at the drop of a hat, I seriously think that you're just spouting it off at random at everything ME related.

if it adds more no death endings i may get it otherwise my character is dead heroic sacrifice and all that. one down side i see is if the end changes to much we may get more whiny fanboys speaking up.

boag:
I am glad that they are taking notice of the customer dissatisfaction, but I am wary of what they are promising, I will not buy the DLC until other people have reviewed it and posted it on youtube. I would like to see more people follow this line of thought.

Because this

Hudson said the game had been designed with a series of endings to key plots to allow players to "carry the knowledge of these consequences with you as you complete the final moments of your journey."

You're going to give them money? Are you serious? Just three days ago you were saying how you were "DONE WITH BIOWARE"

this is what I mean by flakey fanboys. All would've forgotten had Bioware showed a little spine
on this issue. If Bioware keeps burping the baby. The baby is going to demand food eventually. Had they ignored the little shit-producer, they would've died out eventually.

Zeel:

We understand that you don't like Mass Effect 3. The things you say are deliberately said in such a way that anyone that liked the game is pissed off and then when they proceed to reply back you call them a fanboy. We get that you don't like the game and you are entitled to your opinion but can you please just leave people who liked the game and wish to discuss it alone. Why don't you go find a topic or make a topic about a game that you like and leave the rest of us alone. Please and thank you

Zeel:

boag:

Because this

You're going to give them money? Are you serious? JUST THREE DAYS AGO you were saying how you were "DONE WITH BIOWARE"

this is what I mean by flakey fanboys. Honest to fucking god had Bioware showed a little spine on this issue, they all would've forgotten. As it stands, if they keep burping the baby. The baby is going to want to be fed eventually.

hey why don't you make a topic about a game you like so we can insult you for it

Dude, just give me a fucking exposition where it goes over all the consequences of the choices I made in 100+ hours of gameplay. Make me feel as though the decisions I made actually meant something rather than just being the run-up to your bullshit "Choose Your Ending" mechanic.

erttheking:

Zeel:

Oh yeah, god forbid that we be satisfied with the rest of the game and not with the ending, god forbid that we criticize them for not giving us what they promised us, and god forbid that they actually respond. And again you drop the word fanboy, do I have to look up the princess bride meme again? Seriously you use that word at the drop of a hat, I seriously think that you're just spouting it off at random at everything ME related.

They didn't give you what they promised the WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLE GAME.

"Choices that impact the story" where, pray tell is that? Please man. Can you show me where that promise is kept?

"Enhanced RPG elements" Huh? Finding the RPG elements are like playing a game of Where is Waldo.

So don't give me this minor shit about the ending. The ending was the least of that games problems.

the last time bioware listened to the fans they made a raptor alien romance-able, but those are the fans saying it was all a dream and not the ones raging against bioware, so maybe they wont cock it up. of course, if they charge for it, they are revealing their absolutely fucking disgusting scheme of holding the proper ending of a game for ransom, and of course you little money-dispensers are going to buy right into it and tell them that it is a sound business plan.

really, the "change the ending" campaign should become the "dont buy ME3" campaign. THAT would have a real impact.

You know, I tried to accept the endings to Mass Effect 3. But thinking about it now, they really were kinda bad. The endings really were all the same, save some minor differences. Plus the whole starchild thing was pretty stupid when taken into consideration. Not to mention the ending was just way to open for the series to end on. What happened to the rest of the galaxy? What did my choices do to it? Did Garrus, Tali and the others survive? Did Wrex keep all the other krogans from causing another rebellion?

I just didn't really want to believe it. But now I'm going to stop being in denial about the endings and hope this DLC makes up for them. The Mass Effect games to me were great games, and it would be a real shame for the series to end on such a sour note.

Frotality:
the last time bioware listened to the fans they made a raptor alien romance-able, but those are the fans saying it was all a dream and not the ones raging against bioware, so maybe they wont cock it up. of course, if they charge for it, they are revealing their absolutely fucking disgusting scheme of holding the proper ending of a game for ransom, and of course you little money-dispensers are going to buy right into it and tell them that it is a sound business plan.

really, the "change the ending" campaign should become the "dont buy ME3" campaign. THAT would have a real impact.

Yes. Or "Improve overall writing quality" campaign. Their .. "plight" is just hard to take seriously when there are SO MANY BLARING problems with the game. So instead of attacking the route of the problem,(subpar writers) they attack the result. (The ending.)

All because the quality of writing doesn't effect their romances.. but the ending does.

We all know that as soon as Bioware merged with EA games. Their games took an overall dip in story telling quality. Let's stop lying to ourselves. Me2 and Me3 are just dumbed down, casual shit that only pandered to the casual market. While making sure that we could have sex with MORE NPCS!!12!@1

I'll pray for the return of the great Bioware. The Bioware that made the original mass effect. Where the story and over all characters were what gave this series oomph. Right now. This series is bland.

And NOT worth buying.

Zeel:

erttheking:

Zeel:

They didn't give you what they promised the WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLE GAME.

"Choices that impact the story" where, pray tell is that? Please man. Can you show me where that promise is kept?

"Enhanced RPG elements" Huh? Finding the RPG elements are like playing a game of Waldo.

So don't give me this minor shit about the ending. The ending was the least of that games problems.

Choices that impact the game, well there's the whole bit with the Krogan and the Quarians. If you didn't save Maleon's data from ME2 Eve dies when Mordin perfects the cure. Also if Wrex dies in the first game and Eve dies too Wreav will be left in charge of the Krogan, implying that things are going to get ugly in the future. Of course that doesn't come to anything because of the ENDING! Also if you didn't do at least two of the following in ME2 (Prevent Tali from getting exiled, destroy the heretic Geth, use charm/renegade to talk Legion and Tali down) you will be unable to make peace between the Quarians and the Geth. Also there's helping that bartender in ME1 who in turn prevents Conrad Verner from getting shot, running into David from Overlord on the station where Jack teaches, and while I'm thinking about it, every last squatemate that you save from ME2 shows up and impacts the story in ME3 in some way, be it stopping the assassination of the Salarian Counciler, fighting to save some renegade Cerberus scientists and making the peace with Krogan Geth and Quarians actually possible.

RPG elements, I seem to recall leveling up where half of the upgrades for each of your powers made your chose between two separate ones, giving different powers, customizing your guns in a variety of ways from scopes to decreased recoil to increased damage to extended magazines, and let's not forget the MASSIVE amount of different weapons in Mass Effect 3, all of whom have a different feel to it, so in my opinion if ME3 has bad RPG elements then the first two games had even worse elements because it completely skullfucks them in that department. Yeah ME1 might have technically had a bigger customization factor, but it was tedious, all about getting numbers as high as possible, and all the guns felt copy pasted. Also why the Hell do I need 8 abilities when I can only use one before they ALL have to cool down? It's stupid, four is enough.

So yeah, minus the ending, the game was awesome.

Did he really say that? The article seems to quote this statement but he never explicitly says that they'll extend the ending of ME3.
I guess it's this part

Casey Hudson:
So where do we go from here? Throughout the next year, we will support Mass Effect 3 by working on new content. And we'll keep listening, because your insights and constructive feedback will help determine what that content should be. This is not the last you'll hear of Commander Shepard.

which could be interpreted that they'll extend the ending but he could also just mean some pre-ending DLC.
As far as I know, they're still saying that they listen to feedback but haven't decided yet. Maybe I missed something but for know, I'll believe it when I see an official statement from them.

Zeel:

Me2 and Me3 are just dumbed down, casual shit that only pandered to the Halo fucktard and call of duty losers. While making sure that we could have sex with MORE NPCS!!12!@1

So people who like Halo and Call of Duty are fucktards and losers to you? God forbid someone would actually enjoy shooters!

erttheking:

Zeel:

erttheking:

"Enhanced RPG elements" Huh? Finding the RPG elements are like playing a game of Where is Waldo.

Choices that impact the game, well there's the whole bit with the Krogan and the Quarians. If you didn't save Maleon's data from ME2 Eve dies when Mordin perfects the cure. Also if Wrex dies in the first game and Eve dies too Wreav will be left in charge of the Krogan, implying that things are going to get ugly in the future. Of course that doesn't come to anything because of the ENDING! Also if you didn't do at least two of the following in ME2 (Prevent Tali from getting exiled, destroy the heretic Geth, use charm/renegade to talk Legion and Tali down) you will be unable to make peace between the Quarians and the Geth. Also there's helping that bartender in ME1 who in turn prevents Conrad Verner from getting shot, running into David from Overlord on the station where Jack teaches, and while I'm thinking about it, every last squatemate that you save from ME2 shows up and impacts the story in ME3 in some way, be it stopping the assassination of the Salarian Counciler, fighting to save some renegade Cerberus scientists and making the peace with Krogan Geth and Quarians actually possible.

RPG elements, I seem to recall leveling up where half of the upgrades for each of your powers made your chose between two separate ones, giving different powers, customizing your guns in a variety of ways from scopes to decreased recoil to increased damage to extended magazines, and let's not forget the MASSIVE amount of different weapons in Mass Effect 3, all of whom have a different feel to it, so in my opinion if ME3 has bad RPG elements then the first two games had even worse elements because it completely skullfucks them in that department. Yeah ME1 might have technically had a bigger customization factor, but it was tedious, all about getting numbers as high as possible, and all the guns felt copy pasted. Also why the Hell do I need 8 abilities when I can only use one before they ALL have to cool down? It's stupid, four is enough.

So yeah, minus the ending, the game was awesome.

Wait a minute. It sounds like you're suggesting that minor consequences to the story are "good enough" change. If thats the case, then you should have no problem with the ending. Clearly the endings are littered with small changes depending on your EMS score. So whats the problem here?

Oh wait, you're being a big hypocrite.

Plus don't give me the Wrex and the genophage shit. As if that even matters when they just copy paste a new council. Spawned a new rachni queen and whatever nonsense I'm missing. Sorry, it doesn't cut it. The renegade path got royally screwed. It was like we were playing a disadvantaged paragon. I don't know why Bioware even included the option if they weren't going to follow through. I want my HUMAN RUN COUNCIL. Like i was fucking promised!

Seriously all the little points that you list do not matter one iota. They don't change the plot at all. Oh yay, I get to watch thane stop the assassin instead of Major Kirrahe? Will wonders never fucking cease. It's a subpar resolution. And if you have the balls to complain about the ending, which was only five minutes long. Than the ENTIRE GAME should've been an issue to you.

All you did was point out ONE RPG element that was enhanced and still no where near the Mass effect 1 level. The new lveling system is a welcomed change. But you know what didn't have to happen? The fucking gutting of the dialogue system, the morality system and the freaking stupid as shit auto-dialogue. Just because one MINOR element got improved. doesn't mean the rest of the elements didn't get completely boned.

And of course a HALO fanboy would mention the "NEW WEP CUSTOMIZATION' WHOOO!! I don't really understand why that was such a big fucking deal. it's just slapping two of five choices. It's not revolutionary. Again, Mass effect 1 had a PLETHORA of weapons and armor and customization. How can you even begin the argument that ME3 has more rpg elements than 1? You're just lying.

Let my Shepard live, let my Shepard live, let my Shepard live, please, please, please. My Shepard, Tali and everyone else in my crew allowed to live because I have the max war assets would be greatly appreciated. Please.

^
:
:
:
Desperate.

scorptatious:

Zeel:

Me2 and Me3 are just dumbed down, casual shit that only pandered to the Halo fucktard and call of duty losers. While making sure that we could have sex with MORE NPCS!!12!@1

So people who like Halo and Call of Duty are fucktards and losers to you? God forbid someone would actually enjoy shooters!

They just need to stay the hell away from RPG games. I can't count how many shooter games are released monthly. Why must they infect my genre? do I go to their genre and ask for shit like 'dialogue choice'?

No, everyone would think I'm a pompous prick. But they get away with doing the same to my FAVOURITE genre. It's absolutely sickening.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked