PC version of Dark Souls likely coming soon, rejoice!

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

All the signs point strongly towards a PC version of Dark Souls being announced very soon.

The story started with a forum user kindly requesting a PC version of the game on the Namco Bandai forums a long while back: http://forums.namcobandaigames.eu/showthread.php?t=96407 and after being encouraged by a Mod

There is always possibilities to have games adapted on PC and the good news is that Dark Souls is not a 100% typical Console game so the adaptation is possible.
Now to make things happen, let's say the demand has to be properly done. someone to make a successful petition?

Shoupinou

he set out to bring the story to the media, and so he did: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/06/the-quest-for-dark-souls-on-pc/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUXw86Vn8ko&hd=1

And he also set up a petition, remember when people said petitions about games won't help anything? Well, apparently 90.000 people signed the petition for Dark Souls to make its way to the PC: http://petitionbureau.org/DarkSoulsForPC

There has also been increasing interest lately as a From Software Developer talked about it in an Interview with GameTrailers: http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/2012/03/08/fromsoftware-looks-to-smart-phones-tablets-says-dark-souls-success-changed-its-approach-to-making-games/ at GDC

I asked From if there was any movement on the requested Windows PC port of Dark Souls, but the developer didn't have much of an update for me.

"That's going to be a decision left up to the publisher, Bandai Namco, but yes, we have seen the comments and we do know of the desire for a PC version," Takeuchi said.

Also, German PC Magazine PC Action was said to reveal a PC version of an "exclusive console RPG", but what could it be?: http://www.dsogaming.com/news/german-magazine-pc-action-to-reveal-the-pc-version-of-an-exclusive-console-rpg/

Well signs seem to point to Dark Souls PC ever so stronger, as of today there's an Announcement for an Announcement (can it go deeper?) on the Dark Souls Facebook page:

Not only that, but a picture of a page from an upcoming PC magazine has been "leaked":

This is tremendous news!

I've heard great things about Dark Souls. Now I don't have to get a console just to play it.

From Software <3

Played the shit out if both Otogi games, eagerly look forward to seeing that game over screen a couple bazillion times.

Really? That's amazing. After all the praise, and it sounding like a game I could get into, I was pretty disappointed that it was a console exclusive. This is great news, maybe I'll get to play it after all.

Oh god yes, finally some good news to break up the depressing ME3 stuff.

This is awesome if it's true. Dark souls is one of the few games that make me regret not having a console.

Good, that game deserves to be played by as many people as possible. Honestly it was the only great gaming experience I had in a long time and in my opinion it should have won game of the year.

That's awesome, even if I already own it for PS3. I hope more Japanese developers support the PC.

Nice, I'll look forward to it if this is true.

Great news for PC gamers.

I played the crap out of my PS3 copy.

Everyone should have a chance to play such a great game. A fair trade I believe, we get Witcher 2 and you get Dark Souls :D

I've heard good stuff about this game. Looking forward to it.

I will definitely purchase if the reviews are good. Or my dudebros tell me too.

You mean a hundred thousand fans can actually convince these rigidly console-centric studios there's money on the PC?

Great!

PC get Dark Souls, consoles get Witcher 2.

I think it's a great deal.

This pleases me greatly.

I hope it's a well done port above all else. If they port it well, and it sells well on PC, I think we can look forward to future Souls games on the PC as well.

kman123:

Damn ninjas.

This is made of win if true. If they include mod tools even more win.

Holy fucking shit balls on molten sticks of diarrhea infused snot... I AM EXCITED.

Didn't actually manage to finish it on PS3, so going back in HD and with smooth gameplay will be great!

I can't believe they are actually going to go forward with this and give us PC gamers Dark Souls.

Thank you so much From Software for listening to us.

Can't wait for this!

kman123:

And what a shitty trade-off it is. I find it hard to believe there were really that many console players wanting Witcher 2, which just looks bland as bland can be.

Don't really care about about this. The only thing this means for me is that now I have to listen to all the douchey PC players I know talk about how they get to play the "real" version of Dark Souls.

As I have stated, if it has mods, it's a no buy (and I will not further debate this topic) but if it's kept exactly the same as on PS3/360 (with of course things like FoV, etc... for the PC ver) I will gladly buy it again and play it on my laptop when I am out.

Spread the gaming good-wishes and jolly co-operation around, friends.

I'll be waiting for you PC players near the bridge with the dragon.

More seriously, this is pretty good news. I think it's a good move and means even more exposure for what I think is one of the best games of last year.

That's great! You PC gamers are in for a treat. Dark Souls was a very fun and very challenging game. Just be prepared to get your ass kicked more than a few dozen times.

o.o
*dose a happy dance*

It's up to the publisher to decide if they want to invest the money knowing there are at least 90,000 customers. PC people, I think you've got an awesome game coming your way ;)

Dexter111:
snip

That is my magazine. The only one I read regularly. Well done PCPowerPlay!

I'll admit, I'm not that excited about this. From what I have seen it looks like it plays like a console game, and I dislike those. Batman, Assassins Creed, all those thumb twiddly annoying pattern learning games, they aren't for me. Nah, I want maths and dice roles in my RPGs. No, I do, a player's "skill" should have nothing to do with RPGs. If I have to suffer through annoying combat it would want to have a spectacular dynamic story with Obsidian level choice and consequence and Dark Souls just looks like a dungeon crawl.

Praise the Sun!

I've been waiting since I discovered the thread for this to happen - soon as it does I'll be sticking my money down on a pre-order!

...Unless they screw it up with GFWL or something. Don't mind about gamepad controls though; I do have a gamepad, and it shouldn't force me into using an Xbox 360-specific one because I know Demon's Souls was a PS3 game first...

This news is full of much win and potential dying at super high resolution.

Awesome.

Man, This is beyond awesome. Even preordering the PS3 incarnation of Dark Souls, I would STILL preorder this for PC. This makes me happy that relocating prevented me from giving the game the attention it needed because hypothetically now, I will be able to play the game in an appropriate resolution, with better textures, and actually have online capability (thanks to Sony preventing me from being able to update the PSN on my PS3 with their "you must void your legal rights" patch)

And .. my god.. if they were to open the game up to the modding community and allow there to be an actual story for the game (even if its a non canon mod) ... honestly? There are no words to express how beyond awesome that would be.

Well thats just great and i mean it when i say that.

I just hope there wont be any weird gamebreaking glitches or bugs if it actually does come to the PC. I mean lets face it, its a Console Game and a port, so we're probably in for a rough ride, well more so than usual.

Here's to hoping it comes and any and all glitches/bugs/weirdness is a Feature for added difficulty!

Daystar Clarion:
Great news for PC gamers.

I played the crap out of my PS3 copy.

Everyone should have a chance to play such a great game. A fair trade I believe, we get Witcher 2 and you get Dark Souls :D

Sounds good. I'm not going to be possessive about Dark Souls, and I've heard good things about Witcher 2.

That said, I am somewhat sceptical about using a keyboard to play Dark Souls. The controls are very streamlined for console, the inventory layout works fine using the D-pad, the combat might be awkward without 4 mouse buttons, you get the idea. Plus, holding down the right mouse button for 80% of the game doesn't seem that fun.

Not to mention, you don't need the mouse precision in Dark Souls. If you're range attacking, you're either eyeballing slow casting spells, lining up a longshot to attract something's attention, or using the lockon function. I never really had a moment where I thought a keyboard or mouse could improve the game, whereas I did that constantly when playing Fallout 3 on the PS3.

I can't wait!

My PS3 bricked over a year ago, and I've joined the PC master race since that time.

Not being able to play Dark Souls has been one of my only regrets.

I might have to buy that new supercharged desktop I've been thinking about...

Coo.

I've been plannng to try this game for a while now.

Although I'll probably just buy the console version used. Way cheaper than a new PC version, especially down here in Australia.

hope you get Demon's souls as well as niether game should be missed by the PC community.

Gorilla Gunk:

kman123:

And what a shitty trade-off it is. I find it hard to believe there were really that many console players wanting Witcher 2, which just looks bland as bland can be.

Don't really care about about this. The only thing this means for me is that now I have to listen to all the douchey PC players I know talk about how they get to play the "real" version of Dark Souls.

I told many of my friends to play The Witcher 2, but they couldn't because they didn't have gaming PCs, so it's great they have the chance to play the game now it's coming on consoles.

The Witcher 2 is not bland either, its adult, mature, extremely engaging, probably the most beautiful game ever made, and has it's own very unique character, and art style. If you miss out on it you're missing out on the best RPG since Dragon Age Origins.

Anyway, can't wait for Dark Souls on the PC!!

Gorilla Gunk:

kman123:

You sir, are a horrible person :/

If this is true... it's a day 1 pre-purchase for me.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked