Dragon Age II: Ultimate Edition regrettably cancelled because of Retailer disinterest

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/107364-dragon-age-ii-ultimate-edition-wont-exist-due-to-retailer-disinterest.html

With so much post-release DLC being made available for virtually every AAA video game in existence these days, it's almost a given that some sort of bundle pack will be made available at a reduced price at some point in each title's future. Not so with Dragon Age II, as executive producer Mark Darrah reveals through Twitter that retailers aren't even interested in trying to move a Dragon Age II Ultimate Edition:

retailers have to be willing to take it. There isn't any retail interest ATM.

Coupled with the fact that an Exalted March expansion pack was cancelled, I think we have a pretty good picture of just how well Dragon Age II and its add-ons sold in comparison to Dragon Age: Origins.

This comes shortly after the News that the "Exalted March" Expansion campaign was cancelled after a years worth of work.

Maybe they should try Kickstarting it? xD

But I thought that Dragon Age 2 was

A pinnacle of role-playing games with well-designed mechanics and excellent story-telling, Dragon Age II is what videogames are meant to be.

Now I'm confused...

Kahunaburger:

A pinnacle of role-playing games with well-designed mechanics and excellent story-telling, Dragon Age II is what videogames are meant to be.

Now I'm confused...

That review is going to hang around forever. I feel some pity for Tito in that from no on everything he says is going to be seen from the prism of DA2.

Shame to hear this. I would of bought it at a very very reduced price. Hopefully though there is a lesson for Bioware here. Doubt they will learn anything from it but oh well.

Amusing story. When your retailers are turning you down, you have a problem.

I very rarely buy any DLC (in fact I have only ever got 1 that wasn't part of a GOTY).

I usually wait until I can get a cheap copy of an ultimate edition or GOTY with all DLC included (got FO:NV, FO3, DAO and Oblivion for under 5 each with all DLC included).

However, having played through DA2 and exchanged it 3 days later, I couldn't see myself ever wanting to buy it again. There is not enough alcohol in the world that I could consume to make me think buying it again was a good idea.

And nothing of value was lost. Now some people will be spared from wasting their money. Just go watch a youtube compilation of Varric quotes, he's about the only thing worth salvaging, and not by much.

Woah. This is pretty big - I swear that before, every Bioware game has had some sort of collection of all DLC, an Ultimate Edition, and now this gets rejected?

Shows that they're on the way down. I hope they learn from their mistakes and NEVER make a game like DA2 again.

That's a shame. I won't be able to put alongside other great ultimate editions, such as Mass Effect, Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2.

Oh wait, nevermind.

Kahunaburger:

Now I'm confused...

Well everyone was so happy with the first release they just don't need anything else.

I am not surprised. DA2 didn't do as well as Origins and it just isn't a brand name that is in high demand.

The retailers! How DARE they! The bunch of ungrateful, entitled pricks! EAWare are people too! They worked SO hard with SO much PASSION to deliver an AWESOME product!

/sarcasm

On a serious note, well, it's a slap in the face for both BW and EA. Seriously, fan rage is one thing, and arguably you can handwave it. Arguably (I don't think it's a good idea to do so)

But when your retailers give you the red light, that's the last kick in the ass you're ever going to get, the last chance to stop and think.

The thing is, ignoring the stuff you get for buying it new, DA2 only had two characters who didn't add anything, a quest chain and some armour packs as DLC.
DA1 on the other hand had an entire expansion with new companions, four new quest "sections" (one of which was fairly long), some side content and some pointless crap.

Fr]anc[is:
And nothing of value was lost. Now some people will be spared from wasting their money. Just go watch a youtube compilation of Varric quotes, he's about the only thing worth salvaging, and not by much.

How very true.

Now back to Fallout New Vegas: Ultimate Edition!

Whelp, guess I'll never be playing the DLC for that game then. Just hope it doesn't come up in DA3 at all. Considering DA2 had no Awakening or Witch Hunt equivalents, the DLC probably shouldn't be all that important.

This is how you make a company listen. Don't buy the game and they will relaize then need to change or go out of business.

It's too bad that it happened to be with this game though as I liked Dragon Age 2. My only real beef with the game was the recycled maps. Hopefully there will be a third installment that will listen to the fans and be a great game.

Bioware is rolling in problems these days. That's what happens when you sell out to a company that only cares about money and doesn't see the benefits of letting you do your thing the way Activision lets Blizzard. EA is filled with short sighted stupid people, and Bioware is paying for their stupidity. And also for their own stupidity because they sold out to the devil. I wouldn't be surprised if EA closes down Bioware in the next couple of years.

Damn. I was waiting for the ultimate edition. Sure there wasn't "much" DLC, but some of it sounded a little interesting. Guess i'll have to forgo it. :(

Ahh bugger!

I was waiting for a Ultimate edition... guess I'll just have to buy it cheap and forget the DLC

370999:

Kahunaburger:

Now I'm confused...

That review is going to hang around forever. I feel some pity for Tito in that from no on everything he says is going to be seen from the prism of DA2.

Really? Why? He said it after all. And defended his statements in the roiling mass of comments that followed.

Anyway

Retailer disinterest? Were there really consumers out there who wanted to pay for this again? EA seems to be taking it's fans along for a long ride, at the end of which is a "GIVE ME YOUR WALLET AND WATCH OR I'LL SHOOT!" sign.

Couldn't happen to a more deserving game.

I don't know about how PSN works, but couldn't they fix this by just making the DLC stupidly cheap on xbox live and/or bundling it together?

That kind of sucks but was there any DLC for DA2 really? DA:O (as has been pointed out) had a ton of DLC (7 new missions!) and an entire expansion pack where DA2 has two new missions and a bunch of items to download.

With DA2, I would be willing to bet a large sum of money that if it didn't have the Dragon Age name attached to it, it would have been seen as a pretty good game. When Dragon Age was attached to the title, people expected XYZ but got ABC instead. ABC wasn't bad but it's not what everyone expected when they paid for the game.

I enjoyed DA2 a lot but DA:O is simply a superior game.

Kahunaburger:

Now I'm confused...

I am too. Maybe it's/was opposite day?

A pinnacle of role-playing games with well-designed mechanics and excellent story-telling, Dragon Age II The Witcher 2 is what videogames are meant to be.

Fix'd.

This makes me happy.

And somewhere out there, I hope Brent Knowles see's this news...and gives a small smile.

Couldn't of happened to a more deserving game.

This isn't surprising in the least. Time for Bioware to move on and focus on seeking redemption through DA3.

Kahunaburger:

Now I'm confused...

Opinions, people can't seem to comprehend them.

Naw guys, Dragon Age II as a stand alone game had a decent story, engaging fighting system and some decent music. The problem was that they called it DRAGON AGE TWO, instead of Hawkes Kirkwall adventure. If it was a spinoff in the same world, kinda like Vagrant story was to Final Fantasy Tactics, it wouldn't have been so bad. The graphics were lazy for the most part. They reused levels worse than Vanilla WoW. I liked the game, but it really didn't live up to the original dragon age. Now there is nothing wrong with blaming EA for it. I'm ALWAYS in favor of ragging on perhaps the very worst company in the industry that constantly craps on the gaming community and expects royal treatment. I'm just saying that the game was shoved out the door too fast and didn't get the polish that pretty much every other bioware game got. Kinda like a disney movie sequel... only with a much better plot.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked