Why didn't YOU play Mass Effect?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I'm sure there are some of us here who are unaffected by the recent ME3 release; who don't care that the ending leaves something to be desired; who don't know or care what a Reaper is, or what the Illusive Man has been up to this whole time. The question is:

Why don't we care?

In my case, it's because I can only afford one game console, and I picked the PS3. Which means I can't play ME1 because my laptop sucks too much to run ME1 in any enjoyable form. So I don't want to start a game 1/3rd of the way through the plot, because I feel I'd miss out on quite a lot. Also, I tend to dislike 3rd person shooters, so ME's chosen method of combat did not inspire me to pick up the game.

Why didn't YOU start the Mass Effect series?

I played a bit of ME1 on xbox. Someone else's xbox with someone else's game. I couldn't get into it but to be fair I didn't play much of it. While I like that the game was a scifi RPG as opposed to some elves and wizards nonsense, the game felt as if it was trying to make me care about things I didn't give a shit about. I didn't care about any of the creepy aliens. I wanted them dead. I wanted to conquer and form a human empire, not fly around as some space hippie. It came across as more of a soap opera than a scifi space shooter.

I did for about five minutes, asked myself why I wasn't just playing Halo, then did. Honestly, ME is a major Halo clone with the exception of the vehicles. But that's just me.

This generic sci-fi motif in the element of star treck or battlestar galactica never interested me. Then they turned it into a shooter so all the elements of interest I had about the series (it was in limbo basically) evaporated in an instant.

I played through mass effect 1. I just couldn't really give a shit about any of the characters. I got lost all the damn time, and fuck fuck fuck thresher maws. Nevertheless, I played through to the last boss fight. Every lackluster third person shooting encounter. Every endless talky dialogue scene. Every vehicle section. What did I get for it? A frustrating yet somehow easy boss fight and a generic "Oh yeah, there will be more of this" ending. I like sci-fi, but this just felt linear and kind of cheap.

I mean, I have vega strike which randomly generates the whole universe and has probably hundreds of star systems for me to explore. It gives me a ship and 100 credits and shoves me out into it's universe. It generates news stories and bartender rumors that I can choose to investigate or get involved in, or I could just get a job as a courier or bounty hunter or explorer or something. You want depth? Get this game. It's freeware.

Well, I didn't play Mass Effect because I have a PS3 and my PC sucks.

I played about 3/4's of the way through Mass effect 2 but stopped due to a certain (sci-fi) visual novel.

I still haven't finished it and haven't played Mass Effect 3 due to the very same visual novel sucking all the life out of me.

Now I have almost no inspiration to finish ME2 as I've already been given my dosage of awesome sci-fi goodness.

Forlong:
Honestly, ME is a major Halo clone with the exception of the vehicles.

wat

Verily, thou must be trolling.

because i could get my self to care, like, at all

made it as far as getting Tali and ... that was it, put it down, never picked it back up. had better games to play

I got Mass Effect 1. I loved it.

I got Mass Effect 2. I loved it even more than the first.

I was GOING to get Mass Effect 3, but the whole "Origin" debacle put me off.

Now that I think about it, is Origin still necessary to play ME3 on the PC? If it is, then is Origin as bad as they said it was? 'Cuz truth be told, if it wasn't for the whole Origin debacle, I would've pre-ordered this game like nobody's business.

It's not my kind of game.

Zen Toombs:

Forlong:
Honestly, ME is a major Halo clone with the exception of the vehicles.

wat

Verily, thou must be trolling.

Yeah! It's a Gears of War clone! Get your facts straight!

Eh, the story didn't really captivate me. It's too much spouting and not enough implying. There's no subtlety in the storytelling from what I've seen in the let's plays. It's more of dialogue and even more dialogue. It's also too overtly praised, yeah it may be good, but calling it the greatest game/series you've ever played is just downright ridiculous.

I played ME1 as a soldier and didn't like how the class had been changed. Removing the weapon skills and making all the ammo skills capable of being shared makes the class seem kind of useless. Not to mention removing immunity. I fucking loved immunity.

My interest in it simply wasn't worth initial buy. I'll probably play it once its in the bargain bin.. along with Skyrim for that matter.

I'm more interested in getting HD makeovers that Sony is constantly releasing.

EDIT: and Rayman Origins

No console, no interest in losing hours upon hours of my time.

I have watched the ending though. I thought it was a nice juxtaposition of fate vs choice. Made sense to me.

Battleaxx90:

-SNIP-

I was GOING to get Mass Effect 3, but the whole "Origin" debacle put me off.

Now that I think about it, is Origin still necessary to play ME3 on the PC? If it is, then is Origin as bad as they said it was? 'Cuz truth be told, if it wasn't for the whole Origin debacle, I would've pre-ordered this game like nobody's business.

Same here! (with apologies to the OP of course)

I've played 1 and 2 on PC. I refuse to get 3 on Origin because there's no other legitimate reason for me to get it. I'm waiting for it to either be released on Steam with all of the content on it, or at least having its Origin exclusivity beeing lifted.

If not, then, oh well I guess. I'm perfectly fine with accepting the end of 2 as the finale of the series. Bioware and EA lost themselves a sale (and countless others).

I got both games at the same time. I played through some of the first one first and it was just... eh. The combat was clunky, interfaces confusing and pointless, and I just couldn't seem to get into the story. The second one was a little better.

I don't know. I like the universe and the designs and conversations and everything, I just haven't gotten into it.

I did start the series, I didn't end it.
First one the best, second one superior gameplay and lighting, everything else was worse. Didn't touch - no buy, borrow, pirate or watch - the third, very little interest.

I bought 1 and 2 on a steam sale on a recommendation from a few people. I played about four hours of 1. I found the combat pretty boring and the story didn't grab me.

I haven't reinstalled since my last reformat.

I have played a bit of 1 and 2. It failed to make me care about the story. Also I've started to really hate/ be creeped out by masseffect fans. People getting obsessed over such shallow romances and blue tentacle aliens is nothing short of creepy. That is why it was funny that one asari in ME1 says something like "Young humans have an unhealthy obsession with my kind".

picked the wrong class to start with at the beginning. so i gave it back to my friend and continued fallout 3, because, i havent played fallout 3 until january of 2012.

I played ME on PC and loved it, I played ME2 on PC and didn't love it so much, it actually was a bit of a chore to get through. I'm waiting until they patch the import character problems on PC before I'll even consider buying ME3. I don't buy broken games unless they are from Obsidian.

Oh and I won't pay retail because ME2 wasn't worth it, it will have to be on sale. I have BF3 and FIFA12 so Origin doesn't bother me either.

I Wanted to give the series a try. I got ME1 for PC (my PC isn't the best but it's playable) and got to the part where I'm in the city and need to convince some council that some alien guy is a traitor. After at least a few hours spent wandering aimlessly around, talking to people, not killing things, trying to figure out what to do, not killing things, and just generally being bored, I stopped playing and haven't gone back since.

It might be a great series overall, but it sure doesn't start out too well

However, all this ME3 banter is getting me interested again, so I'll probably give it a second go. When I have some actual free time to devote to it that is.

I only have a PS3 and since Mass Effect 2 had great reviews and seemed like my kind of game I picked it up, played it for a while then got really bored. I haven't touched it for over a year. I liked the story, but the gameplay was lacking. So I wasn't interested in 3.

Someday I'll probably get around to finishing 2 and maybe it'll blow my mind and I'll rush to play 3, until then it's going to gather some more dust.

2 reasons.

Because I've not played the second one yet despite it being on my steam account and because I won't put Origin on my PC.

Simple I never played the first one.

Never had a PC that plays it up until now.

Then I realized how overhyped that PoS is. Sure, scifi RPGs are extremely hard to come by. But I never cared to have illusion of choice take precedence over my story. ME, like many other wRPGs, are all about "making choices". So much good that did you, suckaaa! Sure, you have a lot of quests, and many good questions were asked. But thematically, it is good vs evil, and a story about a sad dude who has to do things for survival. Suurreee, that makes for a very interesting.
Now compare that to the "cyclical" theme in the kiddy, no-branching-path Kingdomh Heart series and let me know which one holds greater literary value. (The fact that the damn opening actually has to backward for you to understand the full meaning of the game alone really capture my attention). wRPGs are full of choices, but not thoughts. At least not these mainstream BS anyway.

Because the entire series is a dating sim with some combat.

Well since you asked because its shit. I tried the first one and the combat sucked, the story sucked, and well I cant think of a single thing about the game that I actually liked.

I loved the first one, didn't like the second nearly as much, the third one looks just like the second one so I avoided it.

OlasDAlmighty:
I Wanted to give the series a try. I got ME1 for PC (my PC isn't the best but it's playable) and got to the part where I'm in the city and need to convince some council that some alien guy is a traitor. After at least a few hours spent wandering aimlessly around, talking to people, not killing things, trying to figure out what to do, not killing things, and just generally being bored, I stopped playing and haven't gone back since.

It might be a great series overall, but it sure doesn't start out too well

However, all this ME3 banter is getting me interested again, so I'll probably give it a second go. When I have some actual free time to devote to it that is.

Head to the bar dude, it all came together for me there and I left the planet after about an hour and a half of character quests.

ChupathingyX:
Well, I didn't play Mass Effect because I have a PS3 and my PC sucks.

I played about 3/4's of the way through Mass effect 2 but stopped due to a certain (sci-fi) visual novel.

I still haven't finished it and haven't played Mass Effect 3 due to the very same visual novel sucking all the life out of me.

Now I have almost no inspiration to finish ME2 as I've already been given my dosage of awesome sci-fi goodness.

Might I know this certain visual novel? I already have enough things on my to-do list, but I'm a sucker for good visual novels.

I realized that I suck as 3rd person or just plain shooters in general, my dead squad mates from the first mission is proof of that. That said I always did want to know what the big deal was, maybe I'll get back to it later.

Played the first one, just found it kinda "meh". Don't see what the big hoo-ha about it is, really, the gameplay was pretty mediocre (it's clearly trying to be an RPG and a shooter, but it doesn't do either particularly well), and the storyline was just all cliches (seriously, am I the only person seeing this? Everyone else seems to be "omg it's best story very original", I don't think I can recall one original thing in it).

Anyway, it didn't click to the extent I'd shell out 70-80 on sequels, so I didn't.

I've played half of the second one and hate everything they changed so far.

I have a billion other games in my backlog and it's my dads game and system so I'd have to play it in the living room, his office, or if I do play it in my room the quality is shit. He has it hooked up to some weird system I can't understand. Not to mention I hate shooters and was going to play it for the story, but since that turned out terrible the game just fell even further into my backlog to the point it will probably be crushed from the ones piling on top. Maybe if I got offline and actually played games I'd get to it. Then again I never really expected it to have a good one in the first place, I just wanted to see what the hype was about.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked