New Mass Effect 3 Ending-Bioware Delivers

Pages 1 2 NEXT

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/mass-effect-3-ending-changed-video-gamer-backlash-bioware-announces-article-1.1048196?localLinksEnabled=false

Muzyka said that the Bioware staff pored over the Twitter, Facebook and message-board comments. But he also defended the current product, pointing out that "most folks agree that the game as a whole is exceptional," and cited solid critical reviews Mass Effect 3 has won. Despite those positives, Muzyka said, Bioware is responding to fan frustration.

"On the one hand, some of our loyal fans are passionately expressing their displeasure about how their game concluded; we care about this feedback, and we're planning to directly address it."

Muzyka said executive producer Casey Hudson and the rest of the team are "hard at work on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions, providing more clarity to those seeking further closure to their journey. You'll hear more about this in April."

It remains unclear who made the final call on changing the ending (Was it mega-powerful publisher EA, or the Bioware execs themselves?). The shape of the new ending also remains unknown. It could be a full-fledged shift, an add-on or a more subtle adjustment, and could arrive as downloadable content or a free update. All of this is to be revealed in the coming weeks.

Rejoice, brothers and sisters!

There. All I wanted was some closure, and if it's like what it sounds, closure is what we'll get.

Assuming this is true, I will be standing next to that man. However, I won't believe it until it actually happens.

Personally, I want the galaxy saved, Shepard survives, has lots of blue children, and is around to enjoy the praise she will get getting.

Uh, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the public statement doesn't actually say anything about new endings. It mentions closure, but that's a very broad term and in its broadest sense actually could refer to new content unrelated to the problems of the ending, such as the the answers to various questions they deemed irrelevant (namely content noted in the Final Hours release). Don't get me wrong, I hope there's a new ending in the works, but let's not read things into the statements simply because we want them to be true.

i'll be happy if they don't change a thing and play that one song that should not be named. i will also be happy when my money gets returned so i can buy the game again and play my male shep

That's way too vague to justify break out the party hats just yet.

Hell, If I wanted to be extra cynical I could point out that that statement can be interpreted as, "There's DLC coming in April."

No.

Do not fucking rejoice.

They will sell you the endings.

You will buy the last part of the game you already bought.

There's DLC coming, and if you eat it up then you'll only be sending a terrible message.

"We will pay for incomplete games and we will pay more when you say you're going to finish them"

Don't destroy the future of gaming.

Don't buy Bioware's shit anymore. Free updates with endings attached, and then you can rejoice.

Zhukov:
That's way too vague to justify break out the party hats just yet.

Hell, If I wanted to be extra cynical I could point out that that statement can be interpreted as, "There's DLC coming in April."

This

versoth:
No.

Do not fucking rejoice.

There's DLC coming, and if you eat it up then you'll only be sending a terrible message.

"We will pay for incomplete games and we will pay more when you say you're going to finish them"

Don't buy Bioware's shit anymore. Free updates with endings attached, and then you can rejoice.

And this. It's much more eloquently worded empty PR bullshit than the other guys posts, but it's still empty PR bullshit.

Considering they lied about content right before the big release, I will will believe it when I see it. Taking Bioware at their word seems foolish right now. At this point it is time to prove, not make more promises.

Smeggs:
There. All I wanted was some closure, and if it's like what it sounds, closure is what we'll get.

Personally, I'm going with cautious optimism. This looks like a step in the right direction, but I'm still waiting to hear the sentence "We're totally fixing the endings, you guys."

versoth:
No.

Do not fucking rejoice.

This fear honestly keeps me up at night. I defended the game being released on Origin, I defended the Day One DLC, I tried to shoot down as many hyperbole laden "this game will suck" posts as I could, and I still stand by those guns. I still feel that this game is 99% amazing. Hell I've played through it three times now and certain scenes still make me cry.

But by all the Saints, Gods, Dragons, and sexy blue aliens in the universe, if they even -think- about charging a goddamned penny for the ending this game should have come with, I will have no choice but to allow myself to join the screaming wails of rage that will surely come.

Seriously, to anyone who is already sick of the rage, you're gonna want to disconnect yourself from the internet for a long while if this "ending DLC" gets a price tag bigger than free.

dreadedcandiru99:

Personally, I'm going with cautious optimism. This looks like a step in the right direction, but I'm still waiting to hear the sentence "We're totally fixing the endings, you guys."

Sadly you'll be waiting a long time, their PR team will -never- let them actually admit they screwed up, the best you can hope for is them to say "We totally planned this all along." or, as this Mr. Hudson says, "We're gonna give you want you want, even though we still think we are infallible and awesome."

Valanthe:

Sadly you'll be waiting a long time, their PR team will -never- let them actually admit they screwed up, the best you can hope for is them to say "We totally planned this all along." or, as this Mr. Hudson says, "We're gonna give you want you want, even though we still think we are infallible and awesome."

Can I just say that I'm aware that PR is always kinda mushy and intangible, but honestly, the majority of gaming corporations couldn't care less about what happens after their games are released other than if they sold, and most are also incapable of making games that could draw people in effectively enough to be enraged if the ending goes wrong. So while I'm not defending the endings (presuming the Indoctrination Theory is false, which I hope it isn't) I think Bioware does actually care, and even though they were wrong, imagine how much it would suck if you had poured years of your life into a product you thought people would love, and recieved nothing but shit from people even while trying to listen to their concerns. (These last two sentences are not address at you, but a large portion of the vocal fanbase) Conduct your criticisms with some dignity and respect. Only Yahtzee is allowed to be Yahtzee, because he's funnier than you.

It sounds like carefully worded PR spin to sell whatever they were already working on for DLC.
May not even be what the fans want to believe it will be.

I don't want a NEW ending I want to know what the hell happens to everyone.

You know, actual closure.

An ending at all would be great because what we have at the moment is a path for a sequel that isn't coming.

It is a sad day when fans can take away game makers freedom to have their own ending to something they worked on.

Ethan Isaacs:
It is a sad day when fans can take away game makers freedom to have their own ending to something they worked on.

Nobody has a gun to their head. All this noise has done is make it so they have to say to themselves "Hey, maybe we didn't convey our message clearly enough. Maybe we need to rethink this without all the inside knowledge and bias." To them the ending could be perfectly viable and good. To everyone else, however, it is a steaming like of cow manure.

If they would just effing explain what they intended with the ending instead of all this PR BS a lot of the complaints would disappear. Saying the ending is supposed to be polarizing isn't explaining it and using the "artistic freedom of the creator" is a lazy cop out.

Tell us SOMETHING here. Is the Indoctrination Theory correct? If not then what is the point of it all? Is it supposed to show how only important decisions matter? What are you trying to say with the ending?

Artists don't just paint a picture and throw it up on a wall. Musicians don't just write a song and then leave. They discuss it with their peers. They talk about what they intended the meaning to be and then listen to how others interpreted it. In this case the gaming community are the peers in question. Bioware should be discussing the game in an open forum not trying to brush the community aside with tired PR crap.

You know that the first thing they say in April is gonna be a joke designed to provoke us. Don't forget April 1st.

Ethan Isaacs:

Sorry, can I just say this is not a comment you can throw away without elaborating and defending your case. It will sound condescending, and it will start arguments. This is a case that deserves attention and thought, no matter what your viewpoint, and idle comments like these are part of the reason that arguments get blown out of proportion. If you don't have enough of a vested interest to present a logical viewpoint that doesn't sound like a patronizing dismissal of the other side, kindly refrain from commenting.

Thank You

dreadedcandiru99:

Smeggs:

I think a better phrasing (if the Indoctrination Theory is correct) would be FINISHING the story. Just sayin' :P

TheCommanders:

Ethan Isaacs:

Sorry, can I just say this is not a comment you can throw away without elaborating and defending your case. It will sound condescending, and it will start arguments. This is a case that deserves attention and thought, no matter what your viewpoint, and idle comments like these are part of the reason that arguments get blown out of proportion. If you don't have enough of a vested interest to present a logical viewpoint that doesn't sound like a patronizing dismissal of the other side, kindly refrain from commenting.

Thank You

Okay then. What I am saying is the bioware game makers has been there since day . From the moment they came up with the game till the launch day and final DLC of mass effect franchise. They spent days and weeks nights working hard on this game. Countless hours of frustration and anxieity that goes with this medium. They sacrificed for their story to come out. For us to demand that they change their game is a problem. When is there a line between consumers and the artists to have the vision they work for be changed.To ask to change it is one thing, but the moment when someone demands that something someone else works on endlessly to change just because they do not like it is wrong. Now I hear what about consumer rights! What about a game maker right do they have a right to tell the story how they wish it to be? Should we even change someone elses work just because we did not like it?

Ethan Isaacs:

TheCommanders:

Ethan Isaacs:

Thank You

Okay then. What I am saying is the bioware game makers has been there since day . From the moment they came up with the game till the launch day and final DLC of mass effect franchise. They spent days and weeks nights working hard on this game. Countless hours of frustration and anxieity that goes with this medium. They sacrificed for their story to come out. For us to demand that they change their game is a problem. When is there a line between consumers and the artists to have the vision they work for be changed.To ask to change it is one thing, but the moment when someone demands that something someone else works on endlessly to change just because they do not like it is wrong. Now I hear what about consumer rights! What about a game maker right do they have a right to tell the story how they wish it to be? Should we even change someone elses work just because we did not like it?

I agree completely with this just because people didn't like it doesn't mean it should be changed. I think this could also be really damaging to all story driven games in the future if this is the way fans are going to act when they don't like part of a story it will put developers of making good story driven single player games and then we will just end up with more multiplayer focussed titles and unimaginative stories.

Ethan Isaacs:

First of all, I appreciate you responding, thank you.

There's been a lot of discussion regarding whether or not Bioware should respond to consumer demand, and maybe I should, in fairness, make it a bit clearer where I stand. First of I have a lot of respect for the Bioware team, and I have defended them against people who have made unwarranted attacks on them personally. I've made it clear on these forums (but not this topic) that I believe the Indoctrination Theory to be correct. Now, even though that makes the ending seem a lot better written there's a new problem: the game stops before the end. The argument could be made (and indications in some of the PR responses indicate this may have been the case) that an ambiguous ending that invites discussion is not necessarily a bad thing.

Unfortunately, the fundamental problem with this is the same fundamental problem with the literal interpretation of the endings (ignoring for the moment all the plot holes and such, as those could conceivably just be bad writing). Fans bought this game based on a promise that the ending would reflect the choices that they made, and bring closure to the series. This was the core principle on which the franchise was founded, and it failed to deliver. We either get (depending on your interpretation) an ending that reflects no choices you have made, and any outcome can happen regardless of how you played the series (literal) or an ending that fits, and is good, but ends on a cliffhanger when there will be no direct sequel (Indoctrination Theory).

"As Mass Effect 3 is the end of the planned trilogy, the developers are not constrained by the necessity of allowing the story to diverge, yet also continue into the next chapter. This will result in a story that diverges into wildly different conclusions based on the player's actions in the first two chapters" - Casey Hudson.

"We wouldn't do it any other way. How could you go through all three campaigns playing as your Shepard and then be forced into a bespoke ending that everyone gets? But I can't say any more than that..." - Mike Gamble

Changing the ending outright would be silly. Most of us who want the ending "fixed" (which is a bad way of putting it) subscribe to the theory that it was almost there, they almost had it, but they didn't finish. We feel like the product was delivered with part missing, the ending, and we would like them to give us the ending that we hope they set up (indocTheory). If Harry Potter ended a chapter or two early, fans would demand the rest. The majority don't want a rewrite to suit our every whim and fancy. We want the ending that makes sense and concludes the story we loved.

For further discussion, you might want to check out some points I make in another thread, as it's getting hard for me to keep track of what I've said where, and don't want to repeat myself too often.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.355391-Mass-Effect-3-Ending-Biowares-Responses-Indoctrination-Theory

Thank you for your time.

EDIT: I also wanted to address this, but not put up another post, because that feels like spamming:

getoffmycloud:

I agree completely with this just because people didn't like it doesn't mean it should be changed. I think this could also be really damaging to all story driven games in the future if this is the way fans are going to act when they don't like part of a story it will put developers of making good story driven single player games and then we will just end up with more multiplayer focussed titles and unimaginative stories.

I'm not sure that's accurate. Firstly, as some have brought up, this isn't the first time this has happened, just the most publicized. A lot of people are familiar with Fallout 3's broken steel, but I've seen plenty of other lesser known examples as well. I read an article with an interesting take on the subject, and in my opinion, holding games accountable for the premise they set forth is a good precedent to set. It encourages developers to interact with their fan base and learn what they want from a game; not to spoon feed them easily marketable garbage (although I concede some developers are evil enough to do this) but to create satisfying products, which will in turn benefit the developer.

Ethan Isaacs:

TheCommanders:

Ethan Isaacs:

Thank You

First of all, we can't make them do it; if Bioware decide they're going to change or expand upon the endings, it's their choice. If they don't, it's also their choice.

But then again, I imagine at least part of the gratification from making a game like Mass Effect stems from making an actual, positive emotional impact on the player. I imagine the creative team being all excited the day before launch and crestfallen after the poll that said 90% of the player base were disappointed in the game's ending. And while that's a shame, since these people probably gave me about 150 of the most satisfying hours I ever had in front of a computer, it's just the way it is. The disappointment throughout the player base isn't going away just because people shut up. It's a fact that the game's ending didn't have the emotional impact on the players the developers were hoping for.

So if the artists involved in this project don't just do their work only for themselves and for art's sake (which is unlikely since they signed up with a company that makes video games for a huge international market) they just didn't hit the mark.

TL;DR
Artistical integrity, if you're working in a field where at least part of the gratification rides on the enjoyment of your work by the customer, doesn't demand you stick by your original work no matter what; if you're clearly missed the mark, you're allowed to change your work just as much as you're allowed to preserve it in its original form.

Okay for thecommander i understans where your getting at I too wouldnt mind a page or cutscene of how the races after shepards sacrifice fared. And thecaptain i do see your point. I think gamers and game devs need to step back and reexamine the lines of consumer rights and aristical integrity.

Ethan Isaacs:
Okay for thecommander i understans where your getting at I too wouldnt mind a page or cutscene of how the races after shepards sacrifice fared. And thecaptain i do see your point. I think gamers and game devs need to step back and reexamine the lines of consumer rights and aristical integrity.

Ha, I just realized that TheCaptain and the TheCommanders are in agreement. Nice. :P

BTW it's TheCommanders, with an "s" because my first name is Anders.

Right now if they added something for the end it would be the sub titles like animal house with the song don't you forget about me.

"Animal House" subtitles, you say?

Buzz Killington:

I haven't laughed that hard in a long long long time, very much appreciate for that link, I found it quite enjoyable.

I think the game already told you what EA/BioWare have in mind:

"Continue the legend through further play and downloadable content."

If any of this obviously PR-centric release is true, expect to pay for it.

Asita:
Uh, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the public statement doesn't actually say anything about new endings. It mentions closure, but that's a very broad term and in its broadest sense actually could refer to new content unrelated to the problems of the ending, such as the the answers to various questions they deemed irrelevant (namely content noted in the Final Hours release). Don't get me wrong, I hope there's a new ending in the works, but let's not read things into the statements simply because we want them to be true.

From the few statements that I've read, they don't intend on re-writing the entire ending, but rather add content on that continues beyond the ending. Liiiiiike, I don't know, Shepard actually finishing the war with the Reapers if the Indoctrination theory is to be believed. :P

As long as it's free. I don't mind if they make it dark and horrible (character murder is perfectly acceptable) but don't give us those bullshit endings where everyone looses. Let the majority of the races die but don't destroy the cornerstones of galactic civilization. And if the indoctrination theory is correct, make it a bit more obvious (not a lot mind) that it is real and when we pick the correct option, LET US FINISH THE GAME FOR REAL!

Asita:

This guy is correct.

While the fact that a high-up in BW has posted some stuff is a good sign, I have zero hopes for a decent ending. Seeing is believing in this case.

Buzz Killington:

Decent little video, the one that got a real laugh out of me was Jacob's "At some point there was a guy on the Normandy...."

Also I laughed at the line "Samara and her cleavage rule on cases..."

Rejoice at vague statements that do not promise what you want them to!

Hmmm, it's almost like they've always had the REAL endings but instead someone somewhere high up decided the endings should be a heavy handed biblical reference.

How many times are they going to make us pay before we get the whole game?

Zachary Amaranth:
Rejoice at vague statements that do not promise what you want them to!

Hell it could even be a novel.

For.I.Am.Mad:
Hmmm, it's almost like they've always had the REAL endings but instead someone somewhere high up decided the endings should be a heavy handed biblical reference.

OF COURSE NOT. It OBVIOUSLY started development later which therefore means it must have COST EXTRA to develop. I mean

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked