What would you like a new Mass Effect ending to be?
Leave it as it is.
9.7% (10)
9.7% (10)
Leave it as it is, but show me different outcomes based on my decisions.
11.7% (12)
11.7% (12)
Classic happy one, settling down with love interest or best bro after saving the galaxy.
27.2% (28)
27.2% (28)
Space rocks fall, everybody dies.
1.9% (2)
1.9% (2)
Something bleak, but with a hope spot.
4.9% (5)
4.9% (5)
Indoctrination theory.
31.1% (32)
31.1% (32)
Whatever, if it's just different.
5.8% (6)
5.8% (6)
I stopped caring.
7.8% (8)
7.8% (8)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: What would you like a new Mass Effect ending to be? *spoilers*

Since we don't seem to have enough threads that concern themselves with the ending of Mass Effect 3, I'm curious as to what most of us actually want.

I know there's different angles here; while some would be okay with the current ending being left untouched and only wish for their choices to reflect in the final cutscene, others would rather have the current ending be erased from the game and replaced by whatever they envisioned for their very own Shepard story.

Some want their perfect happy ending, others are fine with Shepard snuffing it as long as it's made clear that everyone else isn't as screwed as it would seem.

Where do you stand?

EDIT:
Apostrophes were screwing with the poll options, sorry for that.

Shepard gets indoctrinated.

(But not like in that bloody theory.)

As he's about to activate the crucible, Harbringer attempts to "assume direct control". The final combat sequence is one in which Shepard starts automatically trying to gun down his squad, and you have to fight it by pulling the crosshairs off them and moving him away. This is interspersed with dialogue sequences where you try and convince your squad that you're still in control, but your dialogue option keep getting swapped about.

Shepard holds on long enough to hit the galaxy-saving button, then collapses, mentally burnt out and showing signs of husk-ification (a la Saren from ME1). One of your squad mates then puts him down with a bullet to the head as an act of mercy (if his lover is there, they volunteer to do it.)

Crucible wipes out reapers, galaxy is saved.

Series of cutscenes (possibly narrated) showing the fates of various characters and races with variations to account for how you dealt with them.

Credit roll.

Post credits, there is a quick scene with a glowing child asking his grandpa if he will ever see the stars. Then Wrex jumps out of a shuttle and stomps them into the ground.

Zhukov:
Post credits, there is a quick scene with Wrex stomping the star child into the ground.

Nice touch, that one.

I favor either something related to the indoctrination theory or the refuse option. I'm not necessarily ruling out anything else, but I have to insist on these three things:

(1) It must actually make sense (no plot holes, no characters acting out of character, no wrapping up the story with motherfucking space magic, etc.),

(2) It must provide some sort of closure, and

(3) It must have something to do with the choices we made along the way. (If you did things totally wrong, the Reapers win and everybody dies; if you did everything absolutely right through all three games, the Reapers are beaten and Shepard can possibly survive. And there can be a bittersweet "in-between" one, too.)

In other words, I'm looking for the endings that Bioware spent months promising us. I don't even care if I have to pay for them.

EDIT: Just thought of another idea. Whoever the guy was that thought LOTS OF SPECULATION FOR EVERYBODY would make a good ending? Bioware should probably keep him far, far away from this. Like, whack him in the nose with a croquet mallet if he even comes to work that week. (Alternatively: fire him.)

I would like to see an ending.

Any ending.

What we have at the minute isn't an end. What we have is a path for ME4.

Rawne1980:

...I can't believe that the possibility never occurred to me. That's the kind of shit I expect from other devs, but not from Bioware. It's one thing to screw up the ending to your epic trilogy by accident, but if it turns out they deliberately did it to try to squeeze another sixty bucks out of me?

No DLC can fix that. I'll just swear off Bioware forever.

I want to see Shepard just laugh as the God Child tells him that he created synthetics to wipe out organic life so that organics don't create synthetics that wipe them out. Then Shepard laughs some more, and shoots himself in the face. Apparently the galaxy is full of nothing but idiots.

Rawne1980:

Well, they always said there would be more Mass Effect material, but do you think THAT's what they're doing? Shepard's story seems to be at an end either way...

I just want it to make sense, feel like I actually accomplished something, not invalidate all of the peacemaking, incorporate decisions (at least a few anyway)... oh yeah, did I say make sense yet?

I'd like to see them set up Mass Effect 4: Star Babies, in which the Star Child is joined by several more hyper intelligent ghost babies, who then travel the universe, foiling schemes by flummoxing people with easily disproven dilemmas that they are nevertheless forced to go along with due to a paucity of dialogue options.

It think this is the logical direction to take the franchise in because Art.

TheCaptain:

Rawne1980:

Well, they always said there would be more Mass Effect material, but do you think THAT's what they're doing? Shepard's story seems to be at an end either way...

It would be quite easy for them to end Sheps story where it is and carry on with the whole Reaper war through the eyes of another character.

As you say, they have said the ME universe will carry on but this is the end of Sheps story.

The lack of closure seems to point to it leading on to another ME game.

The Reaper war is still going on if you follow the indoctrination theory. If you don't then we still have a hell of a lot of folks floating around in space with no Mass Relays to take them home.

Plus we still need to know what happens with all the companions we've spent the past few years with.

They can only do so much with DLC so it does seem to me they are leaving certain things wide open in order to follow on with the next ME game.

I may be way off the mark and more wrong than scratching your balls after chopping chilli's but thats just how it looks to me.

There is still far too much they haven't "closed" for it to end where it did.

I thought the ME3 ending was terrible.
I don't want a new ending.

Do people actually think a new ending being made will remove the taint they feel about the game?

Indoctrination Theory!!

Shepard wakes up on the Normandy in our room right before the attack on the Cerberus base! We go and do the Cerberus base mission and fight Kai Leng and maybe TIM too and the Prothean VI reveals the Catalyst is the Citadel. It's revealed the Reapers have built a conduit on Earth to the Citadel and are assaulting it right now to try and get control of the Mass Relay network so they can reap more traditionally - the arms of the Citadel are closed so the Crucible can't simply dock there.

The fleet is split into 2 - half to attack the Citadel, half to attack Earth.

Anyway we plan the assault on Earth, main objective is to get to the Citadel - suicide mission style - via the Conduit. We see our choices play out - perhaps a boss battle with Harbinger or another Reaper (Earth should be less bleak and much more pleasing and well designed than in the indoctrination attempt). We get to the Citadel, fight our way up the tower much like in ME1 but against Reaper forces - some kind of battle against TIM in the Citadel tower? Open the arms, Crucible docks - has several outcomes depending on it's strength - shuts down Reaper shields, shuts down Reaper fleet ONLY at Earth, shuts down Reaper fleet ONLY at the Citadel etc. etc. whatever.

We win the game, Celebration area, epilogue slides ala Dragon Age Origins happens - credits play w00000.

That'd be my perfect idea.

I want an ending where it shows that all my hardships and War Assets that I've struggled to get were not thrown into the fray.And of course that would involve as well my best chance of a happy ending with my Shep and his LI reuniting along with his squad.

Throw in a few closure text with what happened afterwards to all the races and choices that I've made throughout the game(s?) and I'm golden.

Other. I want an ending that continues on after the one they originally made. You know, something that might LOGICALLY happen. This is how I see the DLC going. If you got the best possible ending, that is. You know, the one where

and THEN...
I assume that they planned, from the very beginning, to do this. Bitch move, yeah, but look at all of you. Petitions, Kickstart, etc etc. Free publicity is good publicity. Now these fan boys will throw any money at the slightest HINT of a "true ending".

I'm predicting a giant outcry of "shut up and take my money" when they reveal what's going on.

I'd like it to stay as is. That way the online community keeps raging on it and ignores the rest of the game so I can play the good parts un-spoilered :D

I dont care if they dont change anything in the Ending, all I want is an Epilogue that explains what happens after I make the final choice in the game.

If they choose to make the whole thing a reaper indoctrination, I want an epilogue to tell me what happens after Shepard beats it or loses to it.

If they come up with something different I want details of what happens afterwards and how my choices come intoplay after the ending.

Honestly, I thought my game was over after

That may sound like a super simplistic, happy-patty-cake ending; but honestly, that's something I would have enjoyed WAY more than what I received. lol

I would like to be rewarded for doing well and i think properly beating the reapers would make a better ending but choices should matter and an ending with such a result would be worthy of 3 games of culminated good play. What pisses me off isnt the ending per se but the fact that your choices dont matter what so ever in the end. Its not mass effect which is all about choice and has had some exemplary choices in the past. I think the reason for the endings not mattering was SWTOR. Mass effect 3 has marks of time cutting measures and i think bioware was distracted maybe more than usual from mass effect because of SWTOR. Now choices with consequences are difficult to use because you need to creeate more and more paths for each seperate set of choices. ME3 would have been the worst with 2 games worth already. To then have different endings based on these choices would be difficult and having them not matter feels like they simply couldnt do it right and so didnt do it at all. I doubt they thouhgt fans would want this and they have been so good at delivering good things before that ill give them the benefit of the doubt. Ideally the 2 previous (or only second for ps3, exclusives suck) woudl matter to the outcome and if you started without those 2 then you couldnt get the ultimate ending but rather only get an ending which, while you still win, isnt the best outcome, maybe earth is destroyed in the process or the chaos of the war creates new divisions between the species. You needed to earn it (the best ending) properly but it would be a satifying reward. I would have been happy for mass effect 3 to come out later to ahve that.
For me Mass effect has been about not having to lose everything if you fight hard enough and do things right. Its about being able to get the best outcome if your willing to earn it. Maybe some sacrifices must be made but ultimately the best scenario can come about.

I would like to be rewarded for doing well and i think properly beating the reapers would make a better ending but choices should matter and an ending with such a result would be worthy of 3 games of culminated good play. What pisses me off isnt the ending per se but the fact that your choices dont matter what so ever in the end. Its not mass effect which is all about choice and has had some exemplary choices in the past. I think the reason for the endings not mattering was SWTOR. Mass effect 3 has marks of time cutting measures and i think bioware was distracted maybe more than usual from mass effect because of SWTOR. Now choices with consequences are difficult to use because you need to creeate more and more paths for each seperate set of choices. ME3 would have been the worst with 2 games worth already. To then have different endings based on these choices would be difficult and having them not matter feels like they simply couldnt do it right and so didnt do it at all. I doubt they thouhgt fans would want this and they have been so good at delivering good things before that ill give them the benefit of the doubt. Ideally the 2 previous (or only second for ps3, exclusives suck) woudl matter to the outcome and if you started without those 2 then you couldnt get the ultimate ending but rather only get an ending which, while you still win, isnt the best outcome, maybe earth is destroyed in the process or the chaos of the war creates new divisions between the species. You needed to earn it (the best ending) properly but it would be a satifying reward. I would have been happy for mass effect 3 to come out later to ahve that.
For me Mass effect has been about not having to lose everything if you fight hard enough and do things right. Its about being able to get the best outcome if your willing to earn it. Maybe some sacrifices must be made but ultimately the best scenario can come about.

Kill Reapers(depending on E.M.S), Shepard survives(depending on E.M.S/Paragon/Renegade) and continues adventures with surviving crew and LI.

You know what, they should just end it like Doomsday Arcade.

I'd laugh.

The exact same thing, but with an epilogue saying what happened to the major galactic civilizations and characters.

Maybe some spin on the Indoctrination theory. It's what would make sense, yeah?
I think that's what we all want...

A. A choice at the end where I can tell the Reaper God-child to fuck right off, because all of the options he provides screws Shepard in some way, shape, or form. Not to mention the Mass Relays get destroyed. And then what happens after you refuse is a matter of how much time you've poured into your War Assets.

B. Closure. What happens to everyone? Where do they go, and why?

Just my two cents.

I just want the reapers to stay the mystic robot-god-beings the way they were before they screwed them over, and ask nothing else of the 'new ending/epilogue/fix/plothole-away-paint'.

Seriously, I the reason I wanted to play ME3 most was because I wanted to see gigantic unexplainable sentient robot space-squid stomp about blaring those fog horns. Hell, if there is a Mass Effect spin-off in which you can play as a reaper, mashing silly organics into pulp, I'd die to play it, maybe with indoctrination minigames, or a special character creator in which you can design your own abomination-minions and the look of your Reap...

Okay, maybe I'm drifting off there...

But another thing I want to say, that even if Bioware just spectacularly dropped the ball on the endings, and it truly is the offspring of really bad and rushed writing, they might want to thank every god out there for their fanbase, who were loyal enough to come up with such a viable theory.

For what it's worth I think the indoctrination theory is, despite its thought-out argumentation, a desperate thing which the fans came up with after the massive blue-balls-ending to put their minds at rest. I want to believe it too, but I'm slightly skeptic towards it, as I've seen people talk about how Shepard would have been indoctrinated in the original leaked script, but Bioware removed it, and the 'hints' are just the remnants of that script, and it feels slightly odd to have multiple endings of which only one will be continue-able.

Jeez, I've been posting in way too many ME3 threads.

I would have rather had 6: 3 lose, and 3 win.

1: Reapers win, next cycle is screwed. You did not do anything extra and only played the game to get through it. Very low galactic readiness, no allies, etc.
2: Reapers win, but the next cycle will almost surely defeat them. You did just enough to mess up the Reapers, but not enough to kill them.
3: Reapers lose, but you do to. Everybody's dead. Next cycle, however, is free to develop their own technology and be totally awesome badasses.

4: You win, but everybody barely survives. The current ME3 ending. You did just enough and made just enough good choices to beat them. Opinion below*
5: You win, survive, no Deus Ex Machina but at a heavy price. Most governments are relatively structured, but now it's a standoff between surviving nations (depending on choices throughout game). Basically a galactic reset button.
6: You completely destroy the Reapers, no Deus Ex Machina, with surviving civilizations (depending on choices throughout game) relatively intact. I get to have my ride off into the sunset with Tali.

*Here's my opinion on this ending: it was beautiful. That piano piece during the ending cinematic brought me to tears. However, this is Mass Effect. If that was how I said, it would be great. If this was just some generic but popular 3rd person shooter where you didn't make choices, it would be great. However, it makes the choices not matter at all. Peace with Quarians and Geth? Pick your choice of laser. Genophage cured? Pick your choice of laser. Anything else hard as balls to pull off or otherwise something that should matter? Pick your choice of laser. And as mentioned before, plotholes. Ask others if you want a list.

Side note: Sequel: Mass Effect 4... 0,000. In the grim darkness of the somewhat far future, there is only war... Basically, a bunch of human colonies cut off from each other, hostile(?) alien races, technological reset, you get the idea. I'm just waiting for Shepard to come back as the God Emperor and lead the Great Crusade to reunite humanity...

One with closure ANY seance of it. We open and close the star child's story "Ha ha ha ha ha i am a dick that want to end the universe how do you want it to end!?" meanwhile every other story line even Shepard's is "(story you created with you choices) an the some stuff happened and he was never heard from again" and you left going "What? Why is the only solution to kill all organic life especially when it is to prevent the demise of all organic life? what about (names of all live charters) what happens to them?" and all you get is Oh they are stranded and and you Shepard took what may be your dyeing breath or perhaps you live and are the start of a revolution which may or may not fail or perhaps something else entirely... if you are alive that is.

How about... Something that makes sense. I really don't care what that is. I don't care if Shepard fails, the cycle continues, and the whole thing ends in this sort of way -

[1]

-or if Shepard succeeds and does the whole Indiana riding off into the sunset thing. Make it make sense.

Of course, nothing of the sort will happen, so I'm just going to assume the "BioWare sucks shit through a straw" position. The ending as it stands is nothing short of a crime against storytelling and their audience.

[1] Sorry for the shit quality, the better one got taken down

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked