Characters that inspire absolute terror from a francise?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I bet a ton of people are gonna put Pyramid Head and I'll admit that I've never played SH2, but I'm aware of what makes him scary.

For me, I would have to vote for SawRunner from the Cry of Fear mod. The dude stalks you through the entire game appearing 4-5 times and he chases you every single time, and the point of him is to make you run away. His last appearance is in pitch black woods, so you need to use the sound of his chainsaw to determine where you run from until he gets like within two feet of you. He also made a horrifying screech.

I'd rank this dude up there with central enemies from a horror game even though he didn't, to my knowledge, represent any kind of deeper meaning like Pyramid Head.

The indestructible necromorphs from Dead Space 1 & 2. Not necessarily the scariest but I was always terrified of being locked in a room with one because I know they WILL keep coming and if I don't find the trap that incapacitates them long enough then I will run out ammo.

Regenerators from RE4, I swear to god when I first met them I was pretty close to just stop playing out of fear for those guys.
Also the dolls from Condemned 2...I really hate dolls D:

ANY necromorph from Dead Space. You know those hallucinations you get when you wake up in the middle of the night and are still half-dreaming? I thought I saw a necro once (with the distinctive twitchy movement and everything) and I'm honestly surprised I didn't just quit life then and there.

Also, I second RE4 regenerators, and would like to add verdugo.

Pigsy comes to mind. And Ripvan D. Fish from Super Mario World. I disagree with the above post, the scariest creatures in Dead Space are the weird flappy things that reanimate dead corpses. I always try to kill them first.
I suppose to an extent the Big Daddies are terrifying too.

Amnesia the Dark Descent: The Water Monster

You can't see it, but can certainly see you. No matter what you put in it's way, be it door or boxs, it will get to you. Three hits and your dead. Dead, and having the game over screen tell you to stay out of the water. That thing was simply freaky.

Nemesis.

Back in the bronze age of gaming when RE3 was considered the best horror game, it was terrifying to know this 8 ft tall slab of meat and rage with a cartoonishly huge rocket launcher was out to kill you and only you.

It didnt help the state of my bowels at the time when i found out he could tansition areas too.

Bloodsuckers from STALKER. Those eyes.... and those noises it makes, whenever I had to fight one of those, I was screaming like a little girl.

gigastar:
Nemesis.

Back in the bronze age of gaming when RE3 was considered the best horror game, it was terrifying to know this 8 ft tall slab of meat and rage with a cartoonishly huge rocket launcher was out to kill you and only you.

It didnt help the state of my bowels at the time when i found out he could tansition areas too.

You remember the bit in the police station when he jumped through the window and started firing rockets at you? That scared the crap out of my 12 year old self.

Xannidel:
Regenerators from RE4

Ugh. Yes. This.

That first one that you meet in the labs? When I got there it was like 4am, I was like half asleep, and I was getting ready to call it a night. First I heard the thing's raspy breathing, and knew it was something I hadn't seen before. When I found it, it looked pretty unimpressive, so I was all, "Really? That's it?"

Pulled out my shotgun, fired a shell into its chest and blew out a pretty big chunk of it. Regenerator keeps walking slowly toward me. Fired a second shell, blew off an arm. Regenerator keeps walking slowly toward me. Fired a third shell, blew off the other arm. Regenerator stops, makes a sound that to me sounded like a laugh, then keeps walking slowly toward me. Fired a fourth shell, blew off both legs. Regenerator lays on the ground, looks dead. I start to reload, and go to check the clock to see what time it is. I get back to my controller, and the Regenerator is getting back up. I scramble to move, but I'm too slow. Regenerator grabs Leon, lunges forward, opens its mouth and OH GOD WHY ARE THERE SO MANY TEETH?!?!?!

Those ghosts from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets videogame. They were only the upper half of the body, they made horrible noises and they tried to grab you.

Freaky shit

Sam Warrior:

gigastar:
Nemesis.

You remember the bit in the police station when he jumped through the window and started firing rockets at you? That scared the crap out of my 12 year old self.

I do, but something more ingrained in my memory was a first time when i got away from him on the street once, only to have him barge through the door i just came through when i thought i had gotten away.

You can't beat it. You can't outrun it. You can only dodge it and run like shit.

Fuck this guy.

Mordekaien:
Bloodsuckers from STALKER. Those eyes.... and those noises it makes, whenever I had to fight one of those, I was screaming like a little girl.

This man speaks the truth! Especially in Call of Pripyat where I managed to fall through some grating in a building, and landed in a pitch black cellar with two bloodsuckers. They feasted well that night. :'(

Dat breathing.
*hugs pillow*

pretty much most of sonic the hedgehogs friends

RUN RUN RUN NO!

Floor/Wall Masters. These really scared me as a kid for some reason.

The Ghost People from Dead Money. Say what you will about that DLC, one of the things I found good about it was the ability to utterly freak you out. Not to mention the first time I encountered one, I gunned it down, moved on and totally forgot about the need to dismember them to actually kill them. Guess what got back up and attacked me from behind a moment later. Guess who yelped and nearly fell out of their chair as a result of this.

I've got a couple so hear me out:

Resident Evil Four: While Rasputin was probably the creepiest boss from that game, The Iron Maiden was always scarier because, unlike the usual regenerators, you don't get a chance if it grabs to keep from getting hurt and you've gotta get it on it's back to kill it, and the old chainsaw main certainly sent chills down the spine, it was definitely the Garrador that always sent shivers down my spine. it moved in a manner completely different from what we were used to, running around, slashing rapidly, not to mention they had to make some of the creepiest sounds in video game history.

Condemned: those guys pretending to be mannequins, if that didn't creep you the hell out. Not to mention SKX himself. seeing as how you're forced to watch as he CUTS OFF YOUR FINGER.

Dead space: The necromorph that spawns little pods that shoot at you, if for no other reason than that it sounds the most eerily human of the lot and that one that was just a head crawling around--which sometimes had a body--for no other reason than what it did to isaac should you fail to complete the QTE when it grabs you

Bioshock: the splicers both because of just how creepy they are with their blathering and the fact that some even play dead.

Lastly, Half life 2: the head crab leapers. awe man those shacking pipes still give me the shivers to this day

Jack from "the darkness" because for some odd reason no matter how brutal a death sequence got i found i enjoyed killing that person which kind of make me cringe. Also anythin that can take control of you charter it is everything "bad" when another whom is opposite you goal controls you, most just terrify or piss you off bu this does both.

As a side note my response was "Pyramid Head FUCKING Pyramid Head FUCK HIM!" till the poster made me remember oh yeah this is a gaming forum everyone knows what that means I am not just playing to the few who agree because they know who Pyramid Head is.

For me that would probably be the Berserkers from the first Gears of War. They are huge, fast, have a really terrifying screeching sound when they charge at you, and are capable of killing you in one hit.

I also have to say that I used to fear the Poison Headcrabs from HL2. Until I realized that they can't really kill you by themselves. And they usually are.

Probably the tank from left for dead. Omg on the highest difficulty everyone immediately starts screaming at each other over the mikes when you spot one.

Mordekaien:

The fact they can turn invisible doesn't help either. :(

Ilya, from the Fate/Stay Night visual novel. I did the first bad end and never got over it.

This bastard right here

After my first encounter with these things I sat in the corner for 5 minutes with a shotgun. Ugh, nasty little creatures, they are...

TheYellowCellPhone:

You can't beat it. You can't outrun it. You can only dodge it and run like shit.

Fuck this guy.

You can beat it... for a short time.

Requires accurate jumping on his head though.

The Shadows from Heart of Darkness? Anyone? Those bastards could quite literally come out of anywhere and most of the time you could do nothing but run away from them (The beginning of the game is the prime example of that)

Banshees in mass effect 3s multiplayer are Downright frightening, especially since they can chomp your face off

The only thing that is fresh on my mind that is scary isnt as much a character as is this:

Sam Warrior:

gigastar:
Nemesis.

Ah memories :P I remember just running in to the safe room and just hiding for a good 10 minutes hoping he might go away, Nemesis gets my vote for sure.

Amnesia's run-off-the-mill creations. Though that was probably the situation and the way the game made you feel like this was happening to you. And probably my brother grabbing me from behind while I was playing in a dark room with headphones on just as I was hiding from those bastards in a cupboard.

Thinking back to that, I'll probably have to hit my brother with a stick or something.

You know dragons? Those things that came close to destroying the whole of Tamriel?

Meet the guys who put them on the endangered list the first time.

*looks around this thread*

I warn you. The thing you're gonna to see scared me forever. This is no joke, this thing haunts me at night. If it would appear in Amnesia it would be the most scary game ever created.

SirBryghtside:
You know dragons? Those things that came close to destroying the whole of Tamriel?

Meet the guys who put them on the endangered list the first time.

Dammit, ninja'd.

When you just started Morrowind and your preferred weapon skill was still 20 and you had like a 1 in 8 fucking million chance of hitting for diddly shit damage with your chitin longsword, and you heard the telltale squawk/shriek of a Cliff Racer it was time to make yourself scarce.

TheYellowCellPhone:

Fuck this guy.

Except that it can be killed by invincibility, hammers and koopa shells of course. Any it would have to be your possessed girlfriend Paula from Shadows of the Damned. Everyone who has played this game should know what I'm talking about, especially the segment just after getting out of the shack with the fellow demon hunter.

The undead things in the abandoned orphanage/sanitarium in Thief 3. Just when you let your guard down because you think that there aren't going to be any actual enemies, they show up.

Also, the entire haunted hotel in Vampire: Bloodlines. Even on subsequent playthroughs when I knew nothing was in there, I still wanted to get out as soon as possible.

Evil Otto from Berserk.

Also, Luca Blight from Suikoden.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked