Why does everyone hate Mass Effect 3, and seem to like Mass Effect 2?!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Mass Effect 3 is much better written than 2!
Space cthulhu's destroy everything vs space robro's stop at a collector's for human flavoured milkshakes.

I love both, but Mass Effect 2 is my favorite game ever. It was all about the characters, and I loved that about it. It also introduced the Vanguard as we now know it, which is probably the single most noble thing ever done in video games. Yep. EVER. I just really don't have any major gripes about Mass Effect 2, but have a couple about 3 (Shepard speaking way too much on his own and the ending).

People do not hate Mass effect 3 they hate the end to the Mass effect trilogy which just so happens to be the end of Mass effect 3.

It comes down to this is Mass effect a good series of games? YES. is Mass Effect 3 a good game as far as it being enjoyable? YES! Is the mass effect story good FUCKING NO why because of the end and ONLY because of the end the story is outstanding from start to 98% of the game. then it turn out all those choices you made are worthless because the universe is doomed no matter what you do an yet this is not even the worst part. The wort part is you have no real idea just how doomed the universe is, does it ever recover, it hints that it may but still has a strong implication that massive and irreversible damage has been done by a guy you meat at the very end of the series that you have NO emotional tie to other than "i which i could kill you" while all the other charters you do have an emotional tie to are summed up in a pic of the stranded on a planet which it to say NOT SUMMED UP WHATSOEVER.

Alright everyone, you heard the man. Stop liking what he doesn't like. Don't you know it's rude?

I loved both of them. If I had to choose one, I guess I'd go with ME2 because it had a decent ending. On the other hand, I had more overall fun with ME3. On the other other hand, ME3 wouldn't have been as fun without playing 1 & 2 first.

Eh, undecided.

I have seen no hate at all towards ME3.

I have seen hate to the way the ending of the trilogy has been handled though.

I loved every single second of all 3 games, can't say I have a favourite. The ending may not have been what I would have liked but that doesn't take away the fun I had getting there, 3 times.

As much as I despised the idea of a multiplayer in it, I have thrown hours of my life at it and won't be stopping for a while.

A lot of my decisions throughout all 3 games didn't make the slightest bit of difference BUT the gameplay made up for what was lacking in other departments.

ME1 is better than both >:D

I don't know what it is, but now that I have finished the entire trilogy I think Mass Effect 2, the middle arch, is the best. I'm not sure why but I love the atmosphere, theme, characters, gameplay and story the most out of all three games.

Of course, I love mass effect 1 and 3 aswell apart from ME3's ending really but something about ME2 makes it the best for me.

Zhukov:
Alright everyone, you heard the man. Stop liking what he doesn't like. Don't you know it's rude?

Damn, I hate when this stuff happens....Guess I have to burn my copy of ME2.

OT: I really liked ME2,(Plus, it was my first ME; being a PS user and all) especially the loyalty missions; they were the best! Just because you didn't like it much doesn't mean everyone is wrong. Some people prefer MGS2 to MGS3, doesn't mean they're wrong, just means they had a better experience than I did :P

Sorry, Ignore this! :P

Elmoth:
Space cthulhu's destroy everything vs space robro's stop at a collector's for human flavoured milkshakes.

I don't think so. Yes the overall plot is better but that's about it.

The characterization and lore in 3 are just BAD. It feels like the writing team blew that game out of their ass.. It reads like a bunch of high school girls wrote it. It's not worth any praise.

Elmoth:

Actually it's not better written, the ending aside, the game is kind of a mess. It relies on things like Leng's magical cinematic cut scenes to move the plot along, totally invalidating the rest of the game play. Not to mention he's the big guy that you fight during the game and he doesn't really fit within the setting, a B-grade kung-fu movie reject clashes with the overall aestetic established for the universe.

The quality of writing has little to do with the level of opposition being faced, but how the story is told and unfolds. Mass Effect 2 did a very good job of doing a variation on the old "Seven Samurai" / "Magnificent Seven" story spliced with a bit of "The Dirty Dozen", as well as convincingly giving you a few options in terms of what order you wanted to track down your recruits and so on. Mass Effect 3 is even more linear and just not well put together.... and that ending just doesn't fit with the spirit of the universe any more
than Leng does.

To be honest Cthulhu isn't a great example (even if he was space to begin with), The Reapers are more of a rip of.. errr Homage to Fred Saberhagan's Berserkers, which are gigantic life exterminating space robots just like the Reapers. While it's a minor detail I think Fred Saberhagan deserved a nod and acknowlegement here, at least Roddenberry seemed to have the class to do that with his "Doomsday Machine".

As I've said before, Bioware's problem has probably been that under EA they have been forced to juggle multiple franchises while developing an MMORPG at the same time. With the money invested in the MMO that's doubtlessly been the primary concern. Bioware's success has typically come from slowly developing one game at a time, and ensuring everything is perfect. Since EA's takeover they have been releasing games like a machine gun it seems, and it's not surprising that the games produced in the middle of the crunch like "Dragon Age 2" and "Mass Effect 3" have turned out to be lacking. Especially with the interests of business trumping those of writing and game design under EA, with each game including increasingly greedy cash sucking gimmicks, and the ending here not fitting in with the game, but being an ideal "do nothing" resolution for setting up a franchise which has been the declared intent before this game was released. On a lot of levels EA is destroying Bioware, just like many people were afraid was going to happen. A publisher like EA just can't keep it's hands off, and has to try and monetize everything to make the biggest possible profit, even at the expense of the product.

With ToR "finished" Bioware might recover to some extent (they still need to work on expansions), but that remains to be seen. It will also be interesting to see if they have enough soul left to fix the ME3 ending at the very least.

Don't get me wrong though, there is nothing wrong with liking ME3. I'm sure there is a fairly substantial minority of people who do. This is simply a case where there has been a clear backlash from the majority. There is virtually nothing that is going to be universally loved or hated.

It's as though i'm the complete opposite of everyone else. I love the first, hate the second, and tolerate the third. Apparantly everyone tolerates the first, loves the second and hates the third.

Elmoth:
It's as though i'm the complete opposite of everyone else. I love the first, hate the second, and tolerate the third. Apparantly everyone tolerates the first, loves the second and hates the third.

Why does everyone keep using those words? I don't think they mean what what everyone thinks they mean.

Yes, irony intended.

Seriously, I see too many threads about what "everyone" apparently hates or loves. And every time it's disproven. Is it so hard a concept to grasp that some people like/dislike what you don't? There are others that feel the same as you, I assure you. And others still that feel like neither groups.

I might just start posting this same message in every "Why does everyone X?" thread I see.

Why does everyone hate Mass Effect 3 and seem to like Mass Effect 2?

Cause Mass Effect 2 had an ending that made sense!

putowtin:

What? The reaper shaped like a human skeleton made out of human flavoured milkshakes?

Elmoth:

putowtin:

What? The reaper shaped like a human skeleton made out of human flavoured milkshakes?

To be fair, while the cosmetic element was stupid, the general plot-line made sense and the cosmetic stupidity was in the interest of setting up a boss fight, which is fine. Albeit it was also kind of a stupid boss fight, but that was mostly because ME ascribes to the "higher difficulty = enemies have more health" philosophy, not because it couldn't have been cool.

ME in general is more generic than anything else, its mechanics were all done better in Human Revolution and its plot elements were pretty much stock SciFi, apart from the dark energy plot... which ME3 abandoned without explanation. Woo.

Not really brilliant anywhere in the series. Not bad, for sure, but it's not even close enough to, say, KotOR in quality that you can even see it from there on the spectrum.

Jim_Callahan:

Elmoth:

putowtin:

To be fair, while the cosmetic element was stupid, the general plot-line made sense and the cosmetic stupidity was in the interest of setting up a boss fight, which is fine. Albeit it was also kind of a stupid boss fight, but that was mostly because ME ascribes to the "higher difficulty = enemies have more health" philosophy, not because it couldn't have been cool.

ME in general is more generic than anything else, its mechanics were all done better in Human Revolution and its plot elements were pretty much stock SciFi, apart from the dark energy plot... which ME3 abandoned without explanation. Woo.

Not really brilliant anywhere in the series. Not bad, for sure, but it's not even close enough to, say, KotOR in quality that you can even see it from there on the spectrum.

Agreed. But I still think Mass Effect 1's ending is the best I've ever seen. It was thrilling without going over the top, and it was the conclusio to a pretty slow story which made it all the more effective. In my opinion. And that just makes Mass Effect 2 all the more insulting.

Also this:

I love ME3, I just find the lack of closure heartbreaking.

Elmoth:

Space magic is more sensible than "pace robro's stop at a collector's for human flavoured milkshakes"? Seriously.

At least the Human Reaper can be explained rationally unlike an "ultimate weapon" that shoots a blue (also in green and red) beam which overloads all the relays with a push of a button. Explain that.

It seems like the whole trilogy is Fahrenheit. ME1 was sensible and very serious while ME2 was a bit more relaxed and had it's moments of oddness. But ME3 took a turn for the worst and the story went snoopy loopy.

Elmoth:

I didn't see anyone hating the third. Everyone I speak to says the third is great up until the last 10 minutes.

mad825:

Elmoth:

Space magic is more sensible than "pace robro's stop at a collector's for human flavoured milkshakes"? Seriously.

At least the Human Reaper can be explained rationally unlike an "ultimate weapon" that shoots a blue (also in green and red) beam which overloads all the relays with a push of a button. Explain that.

I don't see the problem with the human reaper husk.
I always though that's how they make new reapers. They make a giant husk shaped like the species they convert and then make a big prawn shell over it.

ChrisRedfield92:

mad825:

Elmoth:

I always though that's how they make new reapers. They make a giant husk shaped like the species they convert and then make a big prawn shell over it.

Nothing really is wrong about it however how they presented the idea and existence of the Human Reaper was silly, comical and just out of place.

If we first saw something like this:
Then it would've seem like they were actually being serious.

ME3's great except the end. ME2's got a really shoddy story and hillarious ending but it's still fun.

So basically I'd say the opposite to the thread title.

mad825:

ChrisRedfield92:

mad825:

Nothing really is wrong about it however how they presented the idea and existence of the Human Reaper was silly, comical and just out of place.

If we first saw something like this:
Then it would've seem like they were actually being serious.

Where did you get that from?

Implying you're excluded from "everyone"?
You're never the "only one". NEVER.

I adore Mass Effect 3, including the multiplayer. I just don't like the ending at all.

Personally I thought the First Ending was the best, the fight with Saren to a backdrop of a massive Space Battle was Brilliant.
The second ending I liked being able to organise all my people but I thought the boss fight with the Human Reaper was just comedic and silly, didn't like that at all.
As for ME3 I saw the whole game as an ending really, summing up all the choices I'd made...but I can't stand that stupid ending choice that the only difference made was the colour.

Not even close to "everyone" hates Mass Effect 3.

ChrisRedfield92:

snip

Where did you get that from?

The Bioware Forums, where else? ;)

Hate is such a strong word. I do prefer me1 and me2 to me3 (ain't counting multiplayer but rather single player experience) but doesn't mean I think me3 is a bad game, 90% of it is pure gold and were it not for the ending it might have been my fav of the series. Taken as a whole though, I feel me1 and me2 were better complete packages, especially me2 with its awesome finale.

Probably because both ME2 and ME3 were excellent experiences and fun as hell.

But ME2's ending >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ME3's, so ME2 wins by default.

Elmoth:

No it isn't

That does not mean that I hate Mass Effect 3 at all....it just means I like Mass Effect 2 much better.

(Taking my chances and spoiler tagging some parts of this. If you haven't beaten the game, probably shouldn't be in the topic though)

One of the reasons why some people may feel like ME3 is under #2 could be due to the feeling that the writing of #3 seems to have been done by two groups of people who never saw each other. There's the group that wanted to make an amazing space battle ending, all the races vs. the reapers. Try and go for the Staw Wars "we won, we beat the bad guys" ending. You get to spend you time collecting allies and an a vast ship armada; grabbing resources and trying to get the civilians ready. But then group #2 comes up and says "you know what we hate? pacing! so lets make the last section of the game super duper slow and artsy! then you can

It is such a jarring switch in perspective, atmosphere and it happens right at the second .

#2 on the other hand, everything that you had been working toward all game comes into effect in some capacity. The ending of #1 was still the best of them, but it let off with a look forward and well as closure for the individual game. It didn't try to be bigger than it was, but at the same time it became bigger because it was setting up for a bigger story. ME3 didn't have the luxury of leaving stuff to another game.

Don't get me wrong, I like the game, I love the series and I'm not one of these "remake the ending for me" types. I actually hope Bioware stick to their guns and keeps the ending as is. That doesn't mean I have to like how it was all wrapped up or pretend that the ending was at all magical or even as good as the series itself (it isn't close).

Just my opinion on the matter.

Fappy:
ME1 is better than both >:D

Hmmm, I seem to have been ninja'd...

I really enjoyed Mass Effect 2, but Mass Effect 1 is just in a different league in my books. Better story, is longer (despite the dire repetition of the planet scanning doom) and less psychotic, more likeable characters (seriously, why does Cerberus think that putting you in with a significant number of nut jobs is a good idea?!?!)

putowtin:

I suppose this is as clear as it gets really.

Mass Effect 2 went in a new direction that closed off the world behind linear corridors and fetch quests to make sure my team likes me. They completely lost me with the game, making me hate it for both the gameplay changes and the story.

But 2 didn't end the series on a WTF moment. I think I can see why people who were okay with bad plot and shooty shooty mechanics might still like Mass Effect's less attractive younger brother and utterly hate the bastard child.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked