Could a Bioware-style game work in a Bethesda-style world?

Pages PREV 1 2

I think Bethesda,BioWare and Obsidian entertainment can create the ultimate Role-playing experience with solid gameplay and mechanics if they are given enough time and money to to create develop and especially polish their game.CD Project RED seem to do fine on their own especially for a European developer,they might help out too.However I doubt this will ever happen,these are huge studios,they can't come together as a united workforce,nor will investors place bets on such a project.

Simply put, no.

See, the two game styles aim for different core engagements. Skyrim's world is there to enhance that feeling of wonder and discovery. BioWare games are all about story and characters.

The reason BioWare games can deliver the story and characters they do is because they have a very structured narrative. It's incredibly difficult to deliver that sort of narrative in a world like Bethesda makes.

If you did pull it off, I don't think the world would be as... engaging as Beth worlds are. There are a lot of "open world' games that simply aren't interesting or feel dead. I thinks that's what would happen.

I'd rather the two companies just stuck to what they're good at and keep improving that.

Especially BioWare, since they seem to be slipping lately.

KingsGambit:

One reason I think it could work...for those of us who've played Baldur's Gate II, I ask you to cast your minds back to Chapters 2-3 of that game. From the time we left Irenicus' dungeon until we got on the boat to Spellhold we were free. We had all of Athkatla to explore as well as the many other areas along the sword coast. There were many, many side quests, a player-home, challenging encounters and what have you. In that time, our party members might have changed and dialogue with them would advance their individual plots/romances.

Excluding the incredible story and wonderful places we got to visit (and the incredible party-based gameplay), it was those two chapters that hit the sweet spot of RPG gaming nirvana. Now imagine that in full, modern 3D, full VA (while I'm wishing, developed primarily for the PC and later for a console port) and perhaps a little more story/secondary-story (maybe DA2 style?). Damn, I'm shivering just thinking about it!

The sad truth is, to make something on the scale of Baldurs Gate 2 nowadays probably isn't possible. It will remain this way until people can come up with a convincing way to synthesise voice so that you don't require a legion of voice actors. The sheer quantity of dialogue would make the thing too expensive to produce. I really wish there wasn't such a stigma against text only dialogue, voice acting severely limits the scale of games right now. Play Mass Effect then play Arcanum, voice horribly limits the number of options for what Shepard can say and also the number of solutions that are possible for quests.

It's kinda sad when you think about the potential for a ridiculously huge living, breathing fantasy world that's wasted because everybody has to have voice acting which cripples the scale and scope.

endtherapture:
I'm currently replaying Dragon Age Origins and was in Ostagar - the ruins and the wilds are really cool areas, and I just wish we could explore them more (in the style of Skyrim perhaps).

So yeah, do you think it would be possible to make a heavily story based (perhaps party based?) game like DA:O in a Skyrim type world where there's way more freedom to explore than simply hub zones and Dungeons like in DA:O?

Yeah, I believe so. I don't see why game devs cannot create a large sandbox type world and have the linear story driven portion of the game (yes I consider the ability to bugger off from the story and go explore, gamey) set within the game world. The question is how good will the story feel?

The problem is when you have a linear story driven game the "world" become set pieces for the story rather than a world you can truly become immersed into. The advantage of the set piece worlds (maps) is that the game devs are better able to scrip the maps and missions is such a way as to have a theatrical mood fitting for story being told at that time. They are able to develop a sense of urgency and purpose to the story unfolding if they can force into a linear path with lots of pretty things to look at along the way.

endtherapture:

Just have Bioware make the story and dungeons, and Bethesda make the world.

If only it worked that way :(

Evilpigeon:
It's kinda sad when you think about the potential for a ridiculously huge living, breathing fantasy world that's wasted because everybody has to have voice acting which cripples the scale and scope.

I do agree with you here. I do like the voice acting we now enjoy but mourn the loss of the grander stories and larger worlds. Given the choice, I would go back to pre-KotOR games, with modern graphics. Even for all it's multi-million development budget, Mass Effect 3's ending wasn't close to Baldur's Gate IIs, which consisted of a couple of FMVs, a narrator and some text windows.

I don't think so, maybe if they changed their style considerably, but most Bioware games have a large map that has a number of different areas to travel to (in fact all Bioware games that I can think of) and to unlock the ability to go to these places, you have to go through a quest of some sort, be it part of the main story line or part of a minor subquest.

If you could explore the whole world right from the get go, there would alot less reason for people to actually do any quests.

Although I do think Bioware could make it work, but like I said, they would have to veer far off from hoe they make worlds at the moment.

KingsGambit:

Evilpigeon:

I do agree with you here. I do like the voice acting we now enjoy but mourn the loss of the grander stories and larger worlds. Given the choice, I would go back to pre-KotOR games, with modern graphics. Even for all it's multi-million development budget, Mass Effect 3's ending wasn't close to Baldur's Gate IIs, which consisted of a couple of FMVs, a narrator and some text windows.

I'd agree, not that I don't still tend to enjoy new rpgs, it's just that they're actively standing between me and getting more games in my favourite genre. :/

Hopefully a few of the kickstarters coming up are going to scratch that itch though :D

endtherapture:
Could a Bioware-style game work in a Bethesda-style world?

It could, but you need to have a great team.
Bethesda can't write for shit, and even their open-world feature is going down in terms of quality.
Bioware can write, but they are more concerned with romances, plus their writing quality is in a decline, as is the company as a whole.
Obsidian, for instance, could(as shown in Fallout new Vegas), but they are an independent developer, so the get thight deadlines, thus unable to deliver on all fronts and polish.

If Bethesda weren't so terribly incompetent at writing and directing voice actors, that alone would go a very long way towards the open world CRPG that the TS wants.
New Vegas is the best compromise we currently have. Now if only Obsidian and Bethesda had some quality control in place and the budget to fix those bugs and glitches.

I was just playing some Skyrim.

Man a fully explorable Thedas would be fucking awesome.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked