What game got you into gaming?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

So, I'm sure this has been done to death (But not by me, so it doesn't count! >:D)

Escapist, what game brought you into this fantastic world? Since I'm a 90's baby, (92') I grew up on Mortal Kombat, Mario, sonic but I'd have to say when I reaaaaally got into (more) serious gaming was when I got a copy of Metal Gear Solid 2.

The original Starcraft. My big brothers started me on it when I was like...6(+4ish years). Oh.My.God. that game felt so cool back then. I've since become jaded, cynical, and disgustingly pessimistic.

I grew up playing second player to games like Sonic, Altered Beast and Golden Axe but what got my into gaming my by myself was Duke Nukem 3D and Monkey Island.

I first played Super Mario Brothers, but the game that really got me into gaming was The Legend of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. It's sort of a black sheep in the franchise (I don't even care for it much anymore), but just seemed so massive to me back that as a kid. So thanks to my cousin Melanie for letting me play it on her NES when I was...five years old?

Sonic the Hedgehog, Crash Bandicoot, Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Spyro the Dragon, pretty much the dream team.

Final fantasy . I was born in 1988 , and i was about 3 when my dad got final fantasy on the nes , i used to watch him for HOURS playing that game . I wanted to play but that game was text heavy like all old shool jrpgs . My dad refused to read the game for me , he told me i could play it when i learned to read , by the time i was 4, i could read that gamr and every other game that came out. I could even understand old english ( althought not very well). When i staryed school i could already read better than everyone in my class .P

I have been a jrpg fan ever since , and a final fantasy fan , although square enix is pushing it's luck right now ( r .i. P squaresoft)

Super Mario Bros. Before that arcade games were too expensive for me to play often, and most home consoles games had too much strobing for me to look at the screen. The NES totally shifted my view of what gaming could be.

I started gaming when I was 7 years old with Atari, Commodore 64 and TI-99/4A. Then later on with Nintendo, Sega Genesis. PC gaming started heavily around 1991 for me.

Half Life and classic Call of Duty. Started gaming late, around my teens.

Super Mario Bros I guess. My parents for some reason thought it would be a good idea to buy a 5 year old with ADHD and awkward social skills and a super introverted personality a NES. I had no problems getting all the classics of the time, such as Metroid, Kid Icarus, Rad Racer, and Zelda.

My parents were pretty computer literate (at least back then), so there wasn't really any 1 single game. A tonne of edutainment games (like Playroom and Reader Rabbit) as well as a pacman clone called "Tom Sawyer" and the original Prince of Persia, as well as watching (and occasionally "helping") my father and older sister play adventure games like King's Quest V.

Super Mario Land
probably played others before, even on the GameBoy, but SML I remember actually playing. Trying. Finishing. Might even have been the first one that had an ending. PacMan and Tetris you only really kinda lose at some point. In Mario, you won :O

Various dos games like Jazz Jackrabbit, Wolfentien 3d and the Commander Keens.

I'm an old arcade rat so probably Ms. Pacman, Rolling Thunder, Double Dragon. Those old games. First console game I put major hours in was Space Invaders. Show my age much...

Hmm, while I had been fan of gaming (Mortal Kombat/Tekken mostly but other titles as well) the first game I consider got me into it was Delta Force and Blood 2. Delta Force was the first game I watches somebody play in LAN and also the first with really detailed and awesome graphics I had never before seen[1] and Blood 2: The Chosen was the first game I played[2] on a PC. And Quake 3 was the first game I played over LAN with a friend of mine.

Well, that is really about PC gaming, if I have to be correct Super Mario Bros was the first real video game I played back when I was...I don't know but very young. Probably 5-6 years old.

[1] Yes, I know I laugh at it now. I've laughed at it before, too
[2] as I said, there were others before but I only used them as toys not viewed them as part of "gaming". For example Solitaire doesn't count as "gaming" to me.

Final Fantasy X. That's not to say I didn't game before then, but that's the game that made it serious.

I started to ask my friends, back in the early '00, what's that plastic device in your hands with moving pictures? A gameboy you say? Cartridge system... so what game are you playing? So what's this Pokemon thing... do explain...

Then, Counter Strike, Command and Conquer and that was more or less it for my time on the PC. Then I discovered Halo. Bought an xbox 360 JUST for Halo because I was a stupid little ignorant child. Then I discovered AAAAALLLLL the other wonderful games out there.

I gonna go oldschool and say Tetris. I pretty sure it was thank to that game I try other Gameboy games and then the SNES and etc.

Getting a NES with Super Mario Bros when I was 5. Never stopped playing since :P

My mom got me an NES, we saveed the Princess as a team on multiple Super Mario brothers most memorably SMB3. I found all the secrets, and in hindsight it lead me to believe there is always something past what is shown to you if you are to look for it, hard to say exactly what i mean by that but it just feel most people take what is handed to them and say good enough, and gale let me see past that

Then I found RPGs (to many to name to be honest) they have always been almost like books to me, even to the extent they are likely why i can read so well. In them story mattered and was played out by you, for 30-50$ i got up to 100 hours of game play.

My good friend Sonic on the Sega Genesis. I then got the second game, and went off from there. And now here I am. I haven't played any other Sonic games, though.

Super Mario Land on the gameboy, I believe. It wasn't even mine, but a classmate's...but I ended up playing it more often than her, still. Then it all went on from there.

I got into gaming really late in comparison to the ilk that frequents this particular hovel of the internet, so the game that really got me into gaming was Medieval: Total War, which I got more than a year after it was released. But then, the flood gates opened, got almost every RTS going, and since MTW was bundled with KotOR on offer, got almost every sci-fi RPG going.

I guess technically it was Super Mario Land on the old brick-style GameBoy that was my first game, but I don't think I'd really credit it as the first game that actually got me into the world of gaming.

That honor would probably go to Wolfenstein 3D.

Doom back when I was 3
playin' it with my dad at his office

there was also Prince of Persia, Super Mario Bros, Sonic & Knuckles Collection on PC and Titus the Fox =P

My dad told me my first game was Duck Hunt. It came on the same cartridge as the original Super Mario Bros. (The latter I haven't played at the time.)

The first games that really got me into gaming would be games like Crash Bandicoot 2, Spyro the Dragon, Klonoa, and Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee. I also eventually got a Nintendo 64 and played Donkey Kong 64, Banjo Kazooie, and Super Mario 64. All of those games have helped shape me into the gamer I am today.

007 Goldeneye for the N64, I loved that game sooooo much

The first game I ever played? Mortal Kombat...Four I think? For the N64. That was fun. The game that actually made me go "I like this stuff." were a collection of Gameboy Advance titles, Pokemon Emerald included, and eventually Ratchet and Clank sealed the deal with my first home console. Eventually though, I did go back and play Silver which I love, Totodile is the best. And recently I've made friends with someone with a working N64 who has Mortal Kombat 4 on it, just like old times. We have local tournaments from school every month.

My first memory relating to any game was of standing next to my dad as he attacked a town centre in Age of Empires. I believe that was my first game as well.

I grew up on Mario and Mortal Kombat as well, but the game that really started me down the path to becoming a "gamer" was Warcraft 3. I've told this story several times and it bears mentioning again: I literally almost failed 8th grade because I was skipping 2 days of school per week to play WC3 ladder matches. I wish I was joking.

Hand-me-down NES with all the classics...
Legend of Zelda
Metriod
Castlevaina
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out
Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt
Double Dragon
Contra
Ninja Gaiden
Gauntlet
Bionic Commando
Final Fantasy
Mega Man
ect
Then, after my cousin got a SEGA something I was given a SNES with all the fixings and great 'Super' versions of many games I already had and/or their sequels.
<3

My first game was Duck Hunt at age 3, but it wasn't until I got my first N64 that I became a gamer. I couldn't tell you which specific game got me into gaming but it was probably either Donkey Kong 64 or the N64 port of Cruisin' USA. Yeah, I wish it was better games too.

Pong.
no seriously, yes I have been around that long

the first halo which i played on my brothers xbox and some super nintendo games which i forget the names off.

Croc and the original Rayman on teh PS1... Fucking Band Land man. Also one of the Sonic games on whatever the fuck console came before the PS1 but that doesn't count because I can't remember it properly

Almost bought the Rayman 3 re-release on the 360 today, then i remembered that Rayman 2 was so, so, so fucking awesome and that I should just hope for a re-release of that game instead.

I'm actually quite glad I glossed over the PS2 when it was in its prime. It lets me cherry pick all the good games now XD. Plus I wouldn't have been able to appreciate the sheer artistic beauty of Persona 4 when I was younger.

I'll try to make a post without mentioning Persona 4 someday... But today is not that day!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked