What game got you into gaming?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

The first games that I remember playing extensively are Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye, Super Smash Bros., and Ocarina of time. However, I wasn't very serious about gaming until this generation.

We had a system that predated Atari. Some incredibly simple thing with built in games. I sold it a couple years ago and the store owner had no idea what it was, and couldn't find any record of it.

Then I had like 250 Atari games.

First specific game I remember is Final Fantasy 1.

Then I played Descent, and eventually became PC only. (only played consoles after this for Final Fantasy games, and don't do that anymore)

My interest was piqued when I watched a friend playing System Shock 2, some Lara Croft game or other and a Star Trek: Voyager game as a kid. Another friend and I used to play games when I visited her house. I remember KKnD and some educational thing about digging up different dinosaur bones and then bringing the dinosaurs back to life.

Once my family finally got a laptop I spent WAY too long playing Mary King's Riding Star (I was a pre-teen girl who liked ponies, ok?!) My parents really aren't keen on video games, so I couldn't get into real gaming properly until I turned 18 and they stopped having a say in how I spent my money.

The first game I played properly and really got into was WoW, for my sins.

EDIT: I lie, I completely forgot about non-PC games. The first game I played properly was Pokemon Red on a Gameboy Colour borrowed from a friend at primary school. This was such a seminal moment in my life that last year I finally bought both the game and the console for myself :P

For me.. While Halo was the first actual Modern games I played, it was Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth that made me love Video games...

Pepsi man

oh wait let me rephrase that.

PEPSI MAAAAAAAAN !! *hums the theme*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfV8q9rkq0k

geK0:

Lucem712:

geK0:
Carnival games for the wii! Im so hardcore!

Haha! I couldn't resist, I'm so sorry!

(Just imagine in the future, kids will remember being introduced by Farmville!)

My nephews at least have Kirby, Mario bros Wii and little big planet; not too different from the games that got me into gaming

that guy looks like my brother's girlfriend's father....

OT: first game was pac-man

VaudevillianVeteran:
Sonic the Hedgehog, Crash Bandicoot, Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Spyro the Dragon, pretty much the dream team.

Same here. I think playing through the original Spyro games were what really pushed my love for gaming over the edge, though.

Crash Team Racing, got my PlayStation one when I was about 3 or 4, got hooked ... never got unhooked.

Rob you massive stalker.

Technically my first videogame was
For the gameboy. I've still never beaten it, I should probably do that some time.

Somewhere between Perfect Dark, Metal Gear Solid, Age of Empires 2 and Crash Bandicoot

Its probably not the first game I played, but it impacted me enough to get me into games (even though my old man was a gamer nut already at the time) was Baldur's Gate, he got it when it was originally released and I just played it once or twice and for some reason it's just BANG stuck up there.

probably because of 'heya! Its me, Imoen!'

I found an old atari and a ps2 in a thrift store when I was young. I played the shit out of the atari but all I could find for ps2 for a long time was old ps1 games, but then a Gamestop moved into town and I got Star Wars Battlefront II and Burnout 3,and of course I got Pokemon for my old gameboy advanced. That wasn't what really got me into gaming though, I don't know how I got my hands on it I was only 9 or 10 and I didn't have solid access to the internet or any game magazine subscription but somehow I got Psychonauts. Man I had the best time with that game, and after that it was a short jump to getting into stuff like Shadow of the Collosus, Katamari, Okami but Psychonauts always has that place atop the pile.

Age of Empires.
Also inspired my love of ancient history, strategy, and programming.

MS have a lot to answer for, the bastards.

Well I played every so often before, but I really got into gaming with Final Fantasy 7 when a friend lent it to me. He didn't get it back for quite a while. Yes, this has skewed my views to think it's amazing as hell.

Oooh, we are doing one of those in which nobody ever reads anybody else's posts?

I have a cool one, though. Doesn't everybody?

Ready? Here goes:

No game. Really. Honest. It was the hardware. I was 5 and the notion of a machine that you plugged to your TV and it behaved interactively was amazing to me. I was already fascinated by arcade cabinets at around that time. Stuff like Tetris and Rastan was great, and I didn't even care that the home machines at the time (2600s, Spectrum ZXs, MSXs) couldn't even come close, I just wanted the tech.

I hate to admit it, but it was Sonic CD for me. As a child would always freak out when the bosses showed up, to the point where I thought that if my character lost all his lives in the game, I'd die in real life.

You can imagine how I felt when Doom 3 came out.

age of empires xD its the game that started everything...that pokemon zelda and mario ^^

Spyro 2, got it alongside FIFA 2000 with my PS1 (I was nine). That game seemed to have so much in it. Got into it a lot more with the PS2, never got through many games 'til this generation...

I had brushes with video games when I was really little (2-5) but I didn't start till I was exactly six. On my sixth birthday to be exact, and I remember the first moments...

I sat there on the small two person sofa, and slowly drew the strange object from the unmarked cardboard box that had been it's prison. It was an oddly proportioned, green rectangle with two buttons and and a cross on it's face, just below a grey blank square.
Inspecting it carefully, I noticed it had something written on it, in bright letters that stood out on their black background, letters that seared themselves into my memory, even though at the time I could barely read them.

GAMEBOY COLOR

As odd as it is to remember now, I was confused by the thing. I had no idea what it could possibly be for. It was obviously electronic, and had a hole in the top something would fit in, but I couldn't fathom just what it was, and could never imagine how it would change my life.
I stared at my parents quizzically, but they said little that I can remember. They did, however, hand me another box, this one much smaller.
I removed the wrapping paper gingerly, and looked at the box. It was almost completely covered with a picture of a raging orange bird surrounded by flames. I had to get my mother to read the title, It said "POKeMON Gold Version". I opened the box and inside, was a golden square.
Now, it didn't take me long to figure out where I was supposed to put the square, and it was at that point I began to understand what all this was leading up to.
At this point someone realized we would need batteries to continue, so we all herded into the kitchen. My father then spent the better part of fifteen minutes trying to figure out how to get the thing going. (He was never any good with anything that might be spoken about the same sentence as the word "electricity")
After what felt like ages, he finally handed me back my new toy. I hopped over to the wicker couch we kept near the window, and switched it on.

I won't tell you too much about what happened after that, but suffice to say I've never been the same since. The course of my life changed that day, and I'll always remember it as one of the greatest moments in my life.

I don't quite remember: Cauldron, Saboteur, Monty On The Run, The Rocky Horror Show, Green Beret, Bomb Jack. One of those probably, or all together.

[quote="Noelveiga" post="9.355476.14145130"]Oooh, we are doing one of those in which nobody ever reads anybody else's posts? [quote]

I read yours. :-) I read all the posts out of curiosity to see how much of a dinosaur I am. Apperently I'm not the only one... :P

I think it's a combination of banjo-kazooie and portal. And maybe klonoa and megaman. I don't really know, a lot of games have been a part of my life.
(captcha: face the music Been there, done that....)

Oh, man, nostalgia! Well, back when I was 2 or 3-ish, my parents rented a beach house from one of our neighbors. Every so often, my uncle who lived in the vicinity would pop by to say hello, and he always brought his Gameboy. My first game was either Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, or Pokemon Red Version, as those were the two games he brought with him when I first asked to play. I forced him to read the words to me, as I was too young to understand them. I have since indefinitely borrowed both games from him, and still play Zelda when I'm feeling like returning to my childhood.

Noelveiga:
Oooh, we are doing one of those in which nobody ever reads anybody else's posts?

I've read about 90% of the posts and just 'cos there isn't a whole lot of quoting, doesn't mean people aren't reading. [Though, I might not count since it's my thread and all :O ]

Lucem712:

Noelveiga:

I've read about 90% of the posts and just 'cos there isn't a whole lot of quoting, doesn't mean people aren't reading. [Though, I might not count since it's my thread and all :O ]

You may not count.

For the sake of polling, I'll tell you I haven't read a single post other than this and my own.

So 50/50 split there for the moment :)

Noelveiga:

Lucem712:

Noelveiga:

You may not count.

For the sake of polling, I'll tell you I haven't read a single post other than this and my own.

So 50/50 split there for the moment :)

Another user said that'd read on the posts :P I think they tried to quote you but didn't close the [quote], so it didn't go through :P

(I also many not count cos when I venture into threads, if it's interesting enough, I'll read allllll the posts haha)

Presently I am playing Richstate in its newly launched server 2, Opulence by lekool.

Well, being a normal kid in the "noughties" (damn I hate that word), I played a large variety of games; Pokemon, Mario, Ratchet and Clank etc.

What made me become what people would call a gamer nowadays? I'd have to say good ol' Oblivion. I played that game to death and it was the first non-kiddie game I got seriously hooked on. Ended up playing 200+ hours and getting to the max level, doing all the quests I could find and playing through all DLC.

Nowadays I wouldn't call myself a gamer, what with no good games coming out recently (in my opinion) but around Christmas I was averaging 7-8 hours a day at the weekends. I know I've gone way off-subject but yeah, some useless info for you.

I've played games before this one, but I didn't really develop a love for them till Chrono Trigger. The story and fighting style, all of the options, and concepts just really made me love the game and definitely turned me into a RPG gamer. I do love other types of games now as well, but RPGs will probably always be my favorite type of games.

Thomas the Tank Engine for the SNES. No, seriously, that was the first game I played as a kid.

In reality though, while I had been exposed to video games and played them all throughout the NES and SNES lifespans, the first game that really made me sit down and tell myself, "Hey, these video games can be good. You should ruin the rest of your life with them play more of these and pay attention to what they're telling you," was Ocarina of Time. Yeah, yeah, cliche.

But I was a kid. I had fun with it. And the game is still incredibly good, even to this day. I loved the puzzles, loved the action and loved the visuals. (N64 was still new) Everything about OoT engrossed me and I can confidently say that it was because of that game that I went out and proceeded to play every game that I could get my hands on see if anything else could give me that awestruck feeling again.

And I found out a lot of games did.

One game. Zelda Ocarina of Time.

Sanguinedragon:
Pong.
no seriously, yes I have been around that long

it would probably be the same for me as well

Zelda: link to the past. Never played a game before that and never stopped after.

Donkey Kong Country
I loved that game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked