I liked the ending to Mass Effect 3

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

This thread is not original or creative but I want people to know.

I liked the ending to Mass Effect 3.

Sure, the decisions in the 3 games meant more or less nothing where the ending is concerned but I liked the ending ITSELF. I chose the "paragon" ending and I think it really suited my Shepard well. It was a nice ending in my opinion.

Also, I think the hatred for Mass Effect 3 has gone too far, many are just jumping on the hatin' band wagon. When I was playing the last 20 minutes or so, I could see why some might be angry but not too the extent it has reached.

So, to add a bit of discussion value to this, who else liked the ending? All I've seen (on the Escapist anyway) is pure hatred but there must be someone else who liked it, right? RIGHT?

EDIT: Before another person points it out, yes I would say the control ending is the "paragon" ending. I did however but "paragon" in inverted commas, but it's the closest out of all the endings. Plus, it has kind of a blue thing going on in that ending right? And the one with a red theme going on is where you kill all the reapers, undoubtedly the most renegade of the endings.

EDIT: Another thing, my brother got the perfect renegade ending and even though they are quite similar, I think that one is a good ending as well. If mass effect only had one ending I think the renegade one would do nicely, what with the hinting of Shepard still being alive at the end. I think there are slight continuity errors (why is my team on the Normandy?) but I think the perfect renegade ending where everyone including Shepard lives (except all synthetics of course) is a satisfying ending to the series. I would've, however, liked maybe a cut scene to explain the impact of my decisions and maybe individual cut scenes for crew members, but all in all I liked it.

I loved it.

But here, we'll need this:

]image[

Actually, I didn't find the ending that bad. It was more of a "Well, that happened," reaction for me rather than incandescent rage. I expected how ready you were having a far greater impact on how the ending turned out, but that's about my biggest complaint. The whole segment with Anderson and the Illusive Man was excellent, in my opinion.

Also, inb4 Zeel.

I am sorry i can understand how the overtone of the games end is nice and kind of inspired and the fact it is not happy does not bother me in the slightest but I just see it as unforgivable. It is not a failure on just one level it is a fail on every level I can think of just being honest.

The biggest slap in the face is that if the ending was to happen 4 hours in to mass effect 1 it would be just as effective as it is where is placed in perhaps over 100 hours of play time between the trilogy. The end is not the bad thing it is the fact that it changes into something totally different and even generic at the very last second is what is offensive... i love the series and defiantly can forgive Biowhare but i am sorry fuck that ending,oh and no I do not mean endings I mean ending there is only one not 3 or 6 or 16 or 9000 just 1 and that is largely a part of the problem.

I loved it as well, so you won't get any hate from me, but honestly I don't really see any reason for this thread. There are plenty of threads to go around already, where you can state your opinion and make it heard. I know there are a few people on here who share our opinion on the ending, but to be honest, I'm not really posting any of the big threads anymore, because I feel I've tried my best, to make my view of the ending understood. I can see where people are coming from, even if I don't agree with them, but I do think some have blown it way out of proportion, I just don't really feel like there's any point in trying to convince people of something, especially on the internet, as it's not going to change anyone's opinion(it seems). Also, I'm busy playing through the entire series, this time as a renegade(just got to ME3). Loving every bit of it, just as I did the first time.

I'm not opposed to Bioware releasing some DLC that might explain things a bit better(not that I think it's needed), since it's what people are craving. I would be sad though, if they decide to completely change the ending.

Anyway, short answer. I loved it, thought it was the perfect ending to the series and to Shepard, may she rest in peace.

The only way I found myself to be content with the ending is if it based on the indoctrination theory that's floating around.

With me, it's more disappointment than anger. I admit a good helping of kinda fanboyish tendencies there, but the games themselves got me so excited that the ending just felt like a huge downer. And while I didn't like the ending - the way the whole tone of the story just turned into something completely different - I could've lived with it if it was better executed. More personalized. Like, for example:

And having your choices reflected in the ending sequence, like:

-EDIT-

That said, if you liked the ending as it was, don't let us keep you from enjoying it. You probably have the best Mass Effect experience of all of us, that's something.

inb4 everyone telling you that you misinterpreted your own opinion.

JackandTom:

Sure, the decisions in the 3 games meant more or less nothing where the ending is concerned but I liked the ending ITSELF. I chose the "paragon" ending and I think it really suited my Shepard well. It was a nice ending in my opinion.

Also, I think the hatred for Mass Effect 3 has gone too far, many are just jumping on the hatin' band wagon. When I was playing the last 20 minutes or so, I could see why some might be angry but not too the extent it has reached.

So, to add a bit of discussion value to this, who else liked the ending? All I've seen (on the Escapist anyway) is pure hatred but there must be someone else who liked it, right? RIGHT?

What was the paragon ending? Control? Definitely didn't seem the Paragon one, I thought destroy was the right option personally. Controlling the Reapers against their free will is something a paragon Shepard would definitely not do, in fact he's just agreeing with TIM so is a very renegade type character.

Anyway I've spoken to one person who likes it. That's it. He didn't say why.

Good for you!

It wouldn't do for us all to be the same!

endtherapture:

JackandTom:

What was the paragon ending? Control? Definitely didn't seem the Paragon one, I thought destroy was the right option personally. Controlling the Reapers against their free will is something a paragon Shepard would definitely not do, in fact he's just agreeing with TIM so is a very renegade type character.

I assumed the Control option was the paragon option because it had a blue light around the machine you have to walk up to and the whole ending cut scene had a blue vibe going as opposed to the red one that the Destroy choice had. I also thought it was paragon because it was on the players left, the same as the paragon trigger (LT). I agree with the fact that it didn't seem very paragon when you saw that it was what the illusive man wanted, but I guess this is just another reason that the majority of people don't like the ending.

I just beat it and I loved the ending. (i picked the middle one) For me it felt like the perfect way to end the game.

Sure, I suppose somebody could like the end if they had no emotional attachment to any of the characters (squad mates) nor had any taste in good story telling.

How?

Just... how?

You liked the glowing space child? You liked the killing-organics-to-prevent-them-being-killed explanation? You liked the vague and unjustified explanations of your final choices? You liked the near-identical endings regardless of choice? You liked the complete lack of closure regarding the characters and races?

How does one come to like these things?

I'll agree it definitely has reached a point of being completely ridiculous with the hatred but I still didn't like it.
I'm not even a fan of the Mass Effect games in general and I thought the ending was shite.

I will say that I do like the indoctrination theory though as... well that's kinda what I thought was going on anyway...

Montezuma's Lawyer:
inb4 everyone telling you that you misinterpreted your own opinion.

LOL

Well that puts you in the 1% of people who actually like it.
But like the second post says, you'll need a flame shield.

I liked it as well. I don't understand what all the QQing is about.

JackandTom:

this post contains spoilers for mass effect 3

as I've begun to digest the ending over the last week or so, I can see the artistic value they were going for her, and I can even see how you could "like" the ending. In fact, I would probably appreciate it a ton IF the entire series wasn't built around all those decisions we had to make.

I completely disagree that the complaints have gone too far. It was a boneheaded decision. Again, the "artistic value" is not what the problem is. The problem is that the entire franchise was leading us up to a single moment - the consequences of all our decisions. And it turns out that not ONE of those decisions mattered. NOT. FUCKING. ONE. This was a horrible design choice.

I will also venture to say that, had the ending cutscene gone on to explain how the various peoples coped with the loss of the mass relays AND the various decisions (for example, if you cured the genophage, I would imagine Tuchanka would become an even worse hell hole than it already is) I would accept that more and I think a lot of other people would.

But for them to just be like "yea... so your squad mates magically reappeared on the Normandy, which crash landed on a random planet, there is no interstellar travel, and you have no idea how the rest of the universe coped with the loss of that travel NOR your decisions which effected their entire race." Was bullshit.

What I hope is that the industry learns the RIGHT lesson (which I can't quite pin point right now). But I know that the WRONG lesson would be that gamers don't want "sad" endings. The lead writer or producer or w/e from Dragon age claimed that gamer's want and deserve happy endings. And this IS SO NOT TRUE. All That we want is for endings that matter - that take into account all of our past actions and thoroughly explain to us to condition of the world after the game.

I told one of my best friends that I would have had more closure if at the end you found out there was no way to defeat the Reapers and they ended up killing everyone. That would have been sucha sad, stupid ending. But it answers all the questions and makes the rest of the game matter.

While I didn't like the ending, at all, I think at this point any ill-feeling I have towards it has been outstripped by my ill felling towards all the bitching, flaming, and hyperbole that has spawned from it.

Not to say that the points being made don't have a valid basis, but this is fast becoming a textbook example of everything that is wrong with gaming/internet/nerd culture. Everything that could have been said once has been said a million times, boiled down into already-tired meme's, and used by most for nothing constructive, because apparently we are not capable of acting like adults when things go wrong for us.

and then we wonder why we're not taken seriously?

endtherapture:

They never do. There are many people out there that simply don't know or care about even the simplest things about writing and are easily pleased as a result.

Example:
One user picked "The middle one" they must have been truly engaged. The OP picked "the Paragon one". (Assumed based on color and not based on the events in the story.)

At least Melon Hunter let us know he/she likes the conversation scene with TIM and Anderson. That's more than most give.

Fear not, you are not alone in your opinion. I personally loved the ending, though I can completely understand why others did not.

I gave a big rundown for why I actually enjoyed the ending and if for some reason, you really want to see it:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.354725-Mass-Effect-3s-ending-wasnt-that-bad?page=2#14090959

I had a long and nice chat with Zeel (Yes, THAT Zeel but it went well once I got him to stop insulting me :) explaining my reasoning for why I liked the ending. I wouldn't mind Bioware clarifying some things (namely how did Garrus go from being right behind me into the giant death beam to flying away on the Normandy). As for plot-holes, I personally didn't really see any besides for my bromantic partner Garrus ditching out on me.

EDIT: Change that up a bit. I would also be perfectly fine with the indoctrination theory IF that was Bioware's intention this entire time. If it's not and they are changing it because of the backlash, I will be a very unhappy camper.

Julianking93:
I'll agree it definitely has reached a point of being completely ridiculous with the hatred but I still didn't like it.
I'm not even a fan of the Mass Effect games in general and I thought the ending was shite.

I will say that I do like the indoctrination theory though as... well that's kinda what I thought was going on anyway...

I'd be absolutely fine with the indoctrination thing - but as you said, it doesn't explain how everything else was effected or changed!

I don't necessarily "hate" the ending but I'm not thrilled by it either. Introducing the character of the Catalyst and the concept of order and chaos within the last 10 minutes was just sloppy, nevermind the fact that the Catalysts whole "The Reapers are necessary to prevent synthetics rising up against organics" makes NO sense at all.

Ignoring the contradiction of having synthetics kill organics to prevent them from killed by synthetics, where the hell was the bit where Shepard says "Uh...sorry to interrupt but the Geth and Quarians are up there fighting side by side after reconciling after a three century long war so I'm calling bullshit on what you just said"?

Even knowing nothing about the repercussions of your actions is something I'm okay with, it's nice to leave a little something to speculation/imagination but who the fuck at Bioware thought it'd be a good idea to make it so that someone who has only played the third game and blasted through it, ignoring any and all side/companion missions can end up with the same ending as something who has played all three games and doing everything in each game?

(.......Fuck, I'm starting to get into a "thing" here. I'd better wrap this up)

Anyways...yeah. I don't hate the ending with the passion that many others have had although I can fully understand where that passion is coming from. I just wish the ending had more substance than "Ladies and Gentleman....BUZZ ALDRIN!!!" followed by "Welp, now that that's done make sure you buy our dlc!"

To each his own.

Still, for anyone who feels like reading, here is quite a good analysis of the issues with the ending narrative.

Murmillos:
Sure, I suppose somebody could like the end if they had no emotional attachment to any of the characters (squad mates) nor had any taste in good story telling.

(Spoilers)

I felt incredibly sad when I lost Legion and Eve (and I had only know her for what...a day or so). The ending reminded me of the movie Sunshine. I loved that movie because of the ending and I love this ending for the same reason. Like I said I picked the middle path, and to me personally, that was the best way I could have ended the game. I didn't want my Shep to survive and my interpretation of the game was the "child" at the end was kinda like well, God, and the reapers were like his "angels". When Shep jumped into the light she reached Nirvana. But like I said that's my view on it, not saying I'm right or anything.

And you are entitled to like it. I liked Dragon Age 2 but apparently few others did. Thing is when there is this much backlash against a developer there is at least a nugget of truth. The internet is a fickle beast and it is nearly impossible to get any sizable portion to agree on something yet it has happened here.

Riki Darnell:

Murmillos:

(Spoilers)

I felt incredibly sad when I lost Legion and Eve (and I had only know her for what...a day or so). The ending reminded me of the movie Sunshine. I loved that movie because of the ending and I love this ending for the same reason. Like I said I picked the middle path, and to me personally, that was the best way I could have ended the game. I didn't want my Shep to survive and my interpretation of the game was the "child" at the end was kinda like well, God, and the reapers were like his "angels". When Shep jumped into the light she reached Nirvana. But like I said that's my view on it, not saying I'm right or anything.

If you want to save people from spoilers type {spoiler}{/spoiler} around the text replacing the {} with [].

I'll agree to some extent, but the endings were just poorly made. They could have done better with the same basic theme.

endtherapture:

Actually, control being paragon is more in line than people tend to give it credit for, given the available options at least[1]. Outside of Synthesis, the final choices basically were a rehash of the choice you had in Legion's loyalty mission in Mass Effect 2. Brainwash or destroy the heretics. Former is paragon, latter is renegade. The alignment of the finale's choices is only amplified by the cost associated with them (namely the collatoral damage of the destroy option is the kind of thing paragon options avoid at all costs)

[1]

I actually like the ending for the same reason that so many hate it: that no matter what you do, even if you spent 100 hours in the game, some ends are simply unavoidable. They wait for us around every pass and corner. We assume that because our choices have consequences, that our consequences will somehow have priority over someone else's. Sometimes, someone outside of the story of our lives makes a decision that is just plain bigger than us, and the consequences of that decision end up being bigger than us, too.

Now, I want to make it clear: I totally understand and feel the rage of someone who spent a combined $180 or so on a game that doesn't end the way they hoped. I get that nihilism is soul-crushing, and that people don't want soul-crushing, let alone soul[crushing that they have to PAY for. I also think that the ending sequence should show more of the consequences of your actions from throughout the games as they stand at the time of Shepard's Final Decision.

That said, I think this is a step towards the long-fantasied dream of recognition of videogames by the larger culture as an artistic medium. The idea of a major game ending in a philosophical statement (even a statement that is essentially a giant metaphysical kick in the balls), is big, and a philosophical statement that gets people debating is even bigger.

This is a step on the path to art. I'm excited to see what comes of it.

Well I still subscribe to the Indoctrination Theory so I also view the ending favorably.

This well made video helped me come to that conclusion:

Frankly all the hate has become so hyperbolic that I cant take it seriously anymore. Now if you don't mind I'm going to go back and enjoying playing it... again. Bad ass over here, somebody stop me!

How does it feel to be WRONG!!!!

I'm just kidding.

Anyways, I'm sure some people did. It was very macabre, just the problem was that it had no place being macabre. Basically it just wasn't a happy ending, and the average Mass Effect player was kind of banking on a happy ending. Like the Matrix, except people had a much bigger connection to the games.

Oh... And it kind of didn't make too much sense. That sort of was a problem as well.

edit: I feel like I'm shitting out fire right now. Dear God, someone save me.

I guess sure, being told one thing about the ending and how it'd tie up three games and instead being delivered something else was fine after all!

Of course, I haven't played it, so what do I know, maybe catharsis is overrated.

That's good, OP. I'm glad. It's great to enjoy things. Being happy is spectacular.

Now, move on to the next game on your mind. Spare yourself the heartache.

JoesshittyOs:

edit: I feel like I'm shitting out fire right now. Dear God, someone save me.

Me too! But it's because of all the hot wings (and I do mean HOT) I had last night. :(

Worth it, though.

JackandTom:

You Monster.

But with all seriousness, I can see how the endings could work for some people. However, because they are filled with plot holes, lack sense if you think about them, came out of nowhere, lacked closure, and go against everything we were promised in the months before release, I hope you understand why others are extremely upset about the endings. Admittedly, there are a number of people who are going WAY too far with their reactions.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked