Mass Effect 3 Writer Allegedly Slams Controversial Ending

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Just found this little article floating around, and I thought the community might want to take a look.

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/5695/article/mass-effect-3-writer-allegedly-slams-controversial-ending/

"A very critical post about Mass Effect 3's ending has been attributed to BioWare writer Patrick Weekes, though the text's origin has since been called into question.

Update: We've received an anonymous tip with a screencap of Takyris' messages on the Penny Arcade forums requesting that those discussing the game's ending not attribute the pertinent facts to him. The posts are dated March 11.

BioWare writer Patrick Weekes is well known on the Penny Arcade forums as user Takyris. Earlier, that account allegedly posted a fairly damning diatribe about Mass Effect 3's controversial ending. In it, the author claims that the game's finale was written by Casey Hudson and lead writer Mac Walters without any input from the rest of the team, and many protests from the other writers were ultimately ignored.

Now, the reason I've been throwing around the word allegedly like it's nothing is because the entire story has become very muddled by recent events. The original post has since been deleted, and several other posts on the Penny Arcade forums quoting the post have been edited to remove the text, ostensibly because the author asked that he not be quoted.

In addition, BioWare's community coordinator Chris Priestly has said that after contacting Weekes about the matter, he's decided it's nothing more than an imitation.

That being said, the text in question does seem to have some insider knowledge of Mass Effect 3's development process, and subsequent responses on the Penny Arcade forums, as well as one trusted firsthand source, have indicated to us that the text in question did, in fact, originate with the Takyris account. That's obviously not solid proof that Weekes penned the post himself, but it's quite clear that the situation isn't cut and dry either way.

In the interest of not making the hearsay any worse than it already is, we've reproduced the full text of the message below. Verified or not, it provides an interesting perspective on Mass Effect 3's ending, and it's a worthy read regardless of the source. There are some major spoilers, though, so be warned.

I have nothing to do with the ending beyond a) having argued successfully a long time ago that we needed a chance to say goodbye to our squad, b) having argued successfully that Cortez shouldn't automatically die in that shuttle crash, and c) having written Tali's goodbye bit, as well as a couple of the holo-goodbyes for people I wrote (Mordin, Kasumi, Jack, etc).

No other writer did, either, except for our lead. This was entirely the work of our lead and Casey himself, sitting in a room and going through draft after draft.

And honestly, it kind of shows.

Every other mission in the game had to be held up to the rest of the writing team, and the writing team then picked it apart and made suggestions and pointed out the parts that made no sense. This mission? Casey and our lead deciding that they didn't need to be peer-reviewe.d

And again, it shows.

If you'd asked me the themes of Mass Effect 3, I'd break them down as:

Galactic Alliances

Friends

Organics versus Synthetics

In my personal opinion, the first two got a perfunctory nod. We did get a goodbye to our friends, but it was in a scene that was divorced from the gameplay -- a deliberate "nothing happens here" area with one turret thrown in for no reason I really understand, except possibly to obfuscate the "nothing happens here"-ness. The best missions in our game are the ones in which the gameplay and the narrative reinforce each other. The end of the Genophage campaign exemplifies that for me -- every line of dialog is showing you both sides of the krogan, be they horrible brutes or proud warriors; the art shows both their bombed-out wasteland and the beautiful world they once had and could have again; the combat shows the terror of the Reapers as well as a blatant reminder of the rachni, which threatened the galaxy and had to be stopped by the krogan last time. Every line of code in that mission is on target with the overall message.

The endgame doesn't have that. I wanted to see banshees attacking you, and then have asari gunships zoom in and blow them away. I wanted to see a wave of rachni ravagers come around a corner only to be met by a wall of krogan roaring a battle cry. Here's the horror the Reapers inflicted upon each race, and here's the army that you, Commander Shepard, made out of every race in the galaxy to fight them.

I personally thought that the Illusive Man conversation was about twice as long as it needed to be -- something that I've been told in my peer reviews of my missions and made edits on, but again, this is a conversation no writer but the lead ever saw until it was already recorded. I did love Anderson's goodbye.

For me, Anderson's goodbye is where it ended. The stuff with the Catalyst just... You have to understand. Casey is really smart and really analytical. And the problem is that when he's not checked, he will assume that other people are like him, and will really appreciate an almost completely unemotional intellectual ending. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it.

And then, just to be a dick... what was SUPPOSED to happen was that, say you picked "Destroy the Reapers". When you did that, the system was SUPPOSED to look at your score, and then you'd show a cutscene of Earth that was either:

a) Very high score: Earth obviously damaged, but woo victory

b) Medium score: Earth takes a bunch of damage from the Crucible activation. Like dropping a bomb on an already war-ravaged city. Uh, well, maybe not LIKE that as much as, uh, THAT.

c) Low score: Earth is a cinderblock, all life on it completely wiped out

I have NO IDEA why these different cutscenes aren't in there. As far as I know, they were never cut. Maybe they were cut for budget reasons at the last minute. I don't know. But holy crap, yeah, I can see how incredibly disappointing it'd be to hear of all the different ending possibilities and have it break down to "which color is stuff glowing?" Or maybe they ARE in, but they're too subtle to really see obvious differences, and again, that's... yeah.

Okay, that's a lot to have written for something that's gonna go away in an hour.

I still teared up at the ending myself, but really, I was tearing up for the quick flashbacks to old friends and the death of Anderson. I wasn't tearing up over making a choice that, as it turned out, didn't have enough cutscene differentiation on it.

And to be clear, I don't even really wish Shepard had gotten a ride-off-into-sunset ending. I was honestly okay with Shepard sacrificing himself. I just expected it to be for something with more obvious differentiation, and a stronger tie to the core themes -- all three of them.

Very interesting read I think.

Now I'm curious whether this is a poor writer finally snapping and cutting through the corporate PR smokescreen or whether it's EA using him to throw Hudson and Walters to the wolves in order to try save the reputation of the company at large.

Anyway, just bringing to to your attention. Discuss.

edit:

Two images that have been getting passed around quite a bit.
They seem pretty relevant here...

If you'll excuse me being tacky here and bumping this thread...

It seems relevant to several threads in heated debate right now and I think it needs it's own topic.

Ya, read this earlier.

As he says so very succinctly, it showed.

Although I have to wonder what he would think of people spreading this around.

Why would Casey Hudson think for a second he could write the ending to a fucking trilogy? I've seen some dumb moves in my days.. but god. Hudson, pal, friend, dudette. Leave the writing to the writers.

Infact hire better writers cause the writing quality in ME3 was abysmal.

Zhukov:
Ya, read this earlier.

As he says so very succinctly, it showed.

Although I have to wonder what he would think of people spreading this around.

Considering he asked it to not be mentioned and subsequently got Penny Arcade to remove all traces of it?

Probably not very happy. I certainly hope he doesn't get into trouble for it.

But it's pretty important in the VERY divisive discussion on the ending, and tells alot...
It's the first bit of non-PR filtered information we've had from Bioware since....

well, since this became such a big debacle.

Zeel:
Why would Casey Hudson think for a second he could write the ending to a fucking trilogy? I've seen some dumb moves in my days.. but god. Hudson, pal, friend, dudette. Leave the writing to the writers.

Unfortunately, as stated in the OP, we don't know whether this information is true or not. And while I do agree with your point that one person and soley one person in a group of writers writing the ending is "dumb". Hopefully we can learn more as to whether this information is true.

According to Casey Hudson the post was fake.

Zeel:

Agreeing with you whole heartedly on Casey being an idiot here. Can't agree on the writing since I made the decision to throw away my ME games and never play them again a while ago when I saw what was happening. I called shit happening when in one of the first press releases about it they said they were improving the RPG elements then never said how and instead talked about how they were improving the shooting.

back pain:

Can we get a source on where you found that? Also I guess it's the cynic in me but I already don't believe him.

back pain:

GasMasksAreForChumps:

Zeel:

Unfortunately, as stated in the OP, we don't know whether this information is true or not. And while I do agree with your point that one person and soley one person in a group of writers writing the ending is "dumb". Hopefully we can learn more as to whether this information is true.

It should be noted that there are those who were in the thread, vouching that it is legitimate, and the fact screen shots were taken of the post itself to support this.

Allegedly the account was pretty well known in the forum to be Patrick Weekes.

And on top of that, I think the fact Penny Arcade acted so swiftly in removing all traces of the post speaks loudly.

It's still not proven to be true, but the evidence looks pretty damning.

Mr Hudson denying it really doesn't mean all that much considering he had all the reason in the world to try and deny it.

back pain:

Really, A massive info leak that basically tells the infuriated masses "Casey's to blame!" and the first thing Casey does is try to cover his arse? Either someone on the outside knows an awful lot about the inner workings of Bioware's writing team or the situation in there is just as tense and chaotic as out here.

Well this wont at all end in a big flamewar...
This sort of thing is pretty frequent in studios but obviously they aren't allowed to ever speak about it (whole careers can be at stake), and the game does feel pretty disconnected and torn at places.

But it is what it is now, better luck with your next game... maybe in another studio.

back pain:

Do you have a link for him saying it's fake?

Casey Hudson and lead writer Mac Walters without any input from the rest of the team, and many protests from the other writers were ultimately ignored.

Casey Hudson is really confusing me. He does the ending himself (mainly) without any feedback of the biggest trilogy in gaming yet thus expects that everyone will believe it's brilliant? That would be like me deciding for Tali at some point to get a disease where she gets immensely fat out of the blue and thinking my idea will work despite that I didn't involve the other writers.

Not only is it just random and wrong of me, but also leaves plot holes. How is getting fat suddenly a 'disease'? If it is a disease, Tali would probably die since her immune system is very fragile. What would even be the point of Tali becoming very fat and would her suit still be able to support the weight? See it's just complete nonsense and that's what ME3's ending is like. Over 90% of the whole community agrees and hates the ending literally. I'm fine with those who are okay with it but.. seriously Hudson you're just making a bigger ditch for Bioware especially since you are now calling this post out to be fake. Tell us the truth behind things please.. it would actually help us understand where you're coming from.

And no please don't involve art as an excuse. Yes ME3 and the ending is an art form but there's a thing known as "bad art" too or crappy design.

You know this is funny, because I've read that Child's Play (the charity founded by Penny Arcade writers) will not take any more money from the "Retake Mass Effect Movement" because they didn't want to be attributed to be in "support" of the movement: http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/23/retake-mass-effect-to-close-childs-play-drive/

A charity refusing more money for that reason seems rather baffling...

"I have been in contact with a manager at Child's Play. First, he wanted to stress how grateful they were for our efforts here, and the huge impact it will have in helping the charity. However, he pointed out that several sources are incorrectly assuming a link between the charity and the petition, or outright support of the petition by the charity.

"This has been a source of difficulty for them, and it has been requested that we wind this effort down. Again, I want to stress that the charity is not unhappy with our work, they are exceptionally pleased with what we have accomplished."

Robb went to some length to distance Child's Play's message from that of its founders at Penny Arcade, and to voice his support for ending the fundraising drive, but the response was predictably negative.

Well I don't know how true it all is. Hackers get into accounts all the time. I doubt it would that hard for someone to hack the account just to stir up trouble. So I'll wait to see what comes of it.

On the other hand though, from the moment that Shepard woke up on the citadel at the end...something was...off....for some reason it felt wrong. It felt like a brand new writer had come in...so I can see this easily being true.

I thought about it and it seems to be an apropos comparison to have Mass Effect on a sliding scale of Star Trek and Star Wars.

ME1 was more Trek because of its shoddy gameplay, but emphasis on galactic politicking. There was some genuine intrigue to what was going on partially because it was new but also because this kind of topic hasn't been broached in popular sci-fi for a while now.

ME2 was the downward spiral towards the gaudy cinematic, the spectacle and the flimsy narrative needed to drive a cliched plot.

ME3 was the series becoming one with the Dark side and embracing the cinematic, the unknowable (which is then made known) and the melodramatic. There were pieces of its former character(ization), but it is buried deep beneath pity.

Oh, forgot to relate it to the OT. Yeah, fucking Hudson!

Zeel:

Perhaps if Drew had been the lead writer he could have talked Hudson out of writing the ending.

I think they should demote walters back to being just a writer and hire Neil Gaiman as a new lead writer. In fact they should make a game that is entirely written by Neil Gaiman and no one else. Even if the game doesn't sell well we all know the story would be awesome.

If this whole Mass Effect 3 ending fiasco has taught me anything it is to take EVERYTHING said by Bioware at face value and never read much into it, leaked or not or even confirmed statements.

Dexter111:
You know this is funny, because I've read that Child's Play (the charity founded by Penny Arcade writers) will not take any more money from the "Retake Mass Effect Movement" because they didn't want to be attributed to be in "support" of the movement: http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/23/retake-mass-effect-to-close-childs-play-drive/

"I have been in contact with a manager at Child's Play. First, he wanted to stress how grateful they were for our efforts here, and the huge impact it will have in helping the charity. However, he pointed out that several sources are incorrectly assuming a link between the charity and the petition, or outright support of the petition by the charity.

"This has been a source of difficulty for them, and it has been requested that we wind this effort down. Again, I want to stress that the charity is not unhappy with our work, they are exceptionally pleased with what we have accomplished."

Robb went to some length to distance Child's Play's message from that of its founders at Penny Arcade, and to voice his support for ending the fundraising drive, but the response was predictably negative.

W-what!?

Why would you stop accepting the donations?
I might understand if this was some kind of serious political movement donating and everyone was claiming that Penny Arcade supported them...

But it's obviously not.
And I don't think anyone was saying that Penny Arcade was in support of the movement.

That just....it stinks if you ask me...

back pain:

Very nice good sir.

I hope that this is real and that he loses his job!

Only to get picked up by another company that wants to put him in the position of the head of the "Rooting out bullshit business practices and bad writing" department to maintain the integrity and quality of an otherwise loved but deteriorating company.

Seriously, if this post is true then the vast majority of the the design decisions of ME3's ending would make perfect sense. Or a perfect lack of it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this:

back pain:

Are you guys still gobbling up everything Bioware says even after all of this, I mean seriously? Obviously they're going to protect their interests, especially in the midst of a PR fallout like this. Some people are beyond hope :P

There's even a damn Screencap of him trying to back off before it got public on that page:

Dexter111:

You sir, are operating off misinformation.

Here's a quote from Tycho's response to the matter:

I actually support this cause, but I am a pessimist, and I'm thinking about the next time something like this happens - when someone attaches Child's Play to something we can't get behind, or leverages your history of generosity and fellow feeling for their own weird bullshit. So, we need to have something like a policy on this.

It wasn't "Retake ME3" that led to the drive's eventual shut-down, it was the fact that the charity was being misused. That could open doors to much more horrible scenarios, and it's a perfectly understandable reason to close the drive.

Here's the link to his full response: http://penny-arcade.com/2012/03/21/childs-play-and-retake-mass-effect

Hmm. This does seem legit.
To be fair though, it's very easy to throw blame around like this. Frankly, we don't have the whole story and its only one person's point of view.

I don't want to descredit him or defend Hudson or anything like that. It just seems a little bit convinient that the project leader has now been set up to take this fall almost entirely alone.
Then again maybe I'm just paranoid.

Canadish:

Dexter111:

W-what!?

Why would you stop accepting the donations?
I might understand if this was some kind of serious political movement donating and everyone was claiming that Penny Arcade supported them...

But it's obviously not.
And I don't think anyone was saying that Penny Arcade was in support of the movement.

That just....it stinks if you ask me...

The creators and proponents of that petition may feel that they were turning a negative into a positive by channeling that rage and discontent into charity donations, but the link can go both ways, and few charities would want to be viewed as being associated with rage and discontent. It was a well intended idea that was executed without fully considering the possible consequences.

Scars Unseen:
The creators and proponents of that petition may feel that they were turning a negative into a positive by channeling that rage and discontent into charity donations, but the link can go both ways, and few charities would want to be viewed as being associated with rage and discontent. It was a well intended idea that was executed without fully considering the possible consequences.

So, what you're saying is that BioWare can use charities for PR and to sell more products as they did in the past e.g.:
http://www.vg247.com/2011/04/18/bioware-charity-auction-for-japan-relief-fund-offers-awesome-prizes/
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114827-Children-Become-Voice-Actors-in-Hilarious-Dragon-Age-Video
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/02/biowares-dr-ray-muzyka-responds-to-the-bullies/
http://blog.bioware.com/2009/12/15/dragon-age-origins-ebay-auction-for-childs-play-charity/
http://greywardens.com/2009/12/bioware-child%E2%80%99s-play-and-the-gift-of-the-yeti/ (Even Child's Play)

Today on the BioWare Blog they ask Dragon Age fans to help them raise $10,000 for a charitable donation to "Child's Play", by playing their Facebook application called Gift of the Yeti. You play and BioWare will pay.

But as soon as consumers do it, there's somehow a negative light?

They also don't seem to have a problem with people promoting Mass Effect: http://masseffect.g33kwatch.com/news/mass-effect-marathon-2-5-schedule-for-may/

Somehow I'm not inclined to believe that there is nothing else behind this... but that might just be the cynical side of me...

Dexter111:

You know, I've been slowly inching towards the conclusion that PA is every bit the massive corporate shill that other journalists are accused of being. First the completely stonewalled stance on used games, then the post on the ending controversy itself seemed far more antagonistic than those of any other sources, now a PA funded charity is refusing donations over something this petty? Sh*t, it's money, and it's not like these people are asking for dead kittens in ME.

I think it's high time I chucked PA into the same bin as Gamespot, it's a shame 'cause I love their comics.

As for OP: It would definitely explain the disconnect, and there was a joke going around the BSN boards that somewhere post launch there was a writer walking around the Bioware offices screaming "I told you so!" at the top of their lungs. Great news that there are at least a few people with some good sense in a once great studio.

Casey is really smart and really analytical. And the problem is that when he's not checked, he will assume that other people are like him, and will really appreciate an almost completely unemotional intellectual ending.

Everyone, Casey is now the new Peter Molyneux.

Reet72:
To be fair though, it's very easy to throw blame around like this. Frankly, we don't have the whole story and its only one person's point of view.

I don't want to descredit him or defend Hudson or anything like that. It just seems a little bit convinient that the project leader has now been set up to take this fall almost entirely alone.

Um, the "project lead" is leading the project. If there's anyone to blame about the game being such and such, apart from the higher-up executives, it's the project lead. Practically every decision has to go through with them, and at the very least he had to approve the ending.

While you say you don't want to defend Hudson, that is pretty much what you're doing, even if it's unintentional. It's not convenient at all. In fact it's so inconvenient, Patrick Weekes is risking his job by doing this.

And kudos to the guy, as little as that'll do. Nice to see someone honest in the industry from time to time. The constant circle-jerking by everyone involved has been getting pretty tiring.

If they'd just let drew karpyshyn be the only lead writer in all three games It would have had the same impact for games as starwars had for movies.

Hammeroj:

Reet72:

Um, the "project lead" is leading the project. If there's anyone to blame about the game being such and such, apart from the higher-up executives, it's the project lead. Practically every decision has to go through with them, and at the very least he had to approve the ending.

While you say you don't want to defend Hudson, that is pretty much what you're doing, even if it's unintentional. It's not convenient at all. In fact it's so inconvenient, Patrick Weekes is risking his job by doing this.

And kudos to the guy, as little as that'll do. Nice to see someone honest in the industry from time to time. The constant circle-jerking by everyone involved has been getting pretty tiring.

I'm not an authority or anything. I don't pretend to understand how these sorts of things work. Take my words as the baseless opinions that they are. However, the few creative endeavors I have been apart of didn't work like that. If people were invested in it then they would want to know what was going on and what everyone else was doing. And they would complain (a LOT) if they didn't like it.
I'm not saying this is impossible but it seems really wierd to me. Why would no one have known about the ending? And if they did, why would they have not made any objections? I don't know but it just seems a bit off is all I'm saying.
If Hudson and Walters really did write the whole thing by themselves then they deserve all the hate and vitriol the internet can supply (which is a lot). That is just really dumb. However I find that hard to believe.
I'd rather refrain from blaming them before we know what happened or at least have a bit more evidence to back it up. Benefit of the doubt and all that.

Drew Karpyshyn was probably the one writer that held it all together. When he was suddenly put off the last ME novel and the writing team I felt something was truly amiss.
Still, the conspiracy theorist in me believes that this is all a massive ploy by Bioware to throw blame at each other to appease fans. If not, then I think Weekes is telling the truth.

If this is real, it's great that he went out of his way to inform us at possible cost to himself.

Personally I'd like to see more of this, Bioware would garner a lot more respect from me, by all the writers and everyone involved just telling us what on earth happened, without nonsense PR responses. Just give us exactly what you thought you were trying to do, and who felt it was bad. For me that would be much better than an ending changing DLC (though I'd like that also).

Incidentally I like how he mentioned those terrible goodbye scenes, in the 'nothing is going to happen here' section. Mordin, one of the games most interesting characters, got 30 seconds of meaningless dialogue, and even Wrex only got to say stuff while you just stood there.
This compared to what I thought were really good endings for Thane, Legion and Mordin (if he dies on Tuchanka).

Cranky:
Drew Karpyshyn was probably the one writer that held it all together. When he was suddenly put off the last ME novel and the writing team I felt something was truly amiss.

Yes, they hired the writer of Halo: The Flood for the last book appropriately titled "Deception"
And we all know how well that turned out.

I wouldn't have minded some of the endings stated in the post.

Not to be pessimistic but to me this just sounds like an attempt to throw someone under the bus in order to try and shut people up. Theres no way that something as important as the ending to Mass Effect 3 would just be rushed out without the approval of the writing staff. I really don't see that happening.

EA and Bioware have their PR leashes attatched firmly around the necks of all employees at this point. There is no way that something like this could go out without either their approval or without serious reprocussions.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked