what is you some of your favorite RPG's?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Name some of you favorite RPG's from any generation of gaming

Arcanum: Of Steamwork and Magick Obscura
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
Mass Effect series
Various D&D titles (not the original NWN or NWN2, but the expansions were good)

For the most part, everything done by Black Isle and Troika.

There are likely many oversights, but DA:O isn't one. I purposely left it off the list. It was fun, but it was generic. Save the world, there's elves and dwarves and stuff. Go to the 4 different places, solve all their problems and then go do good. The characters I found were pretty bland. I know people loved it, I just felt it was okay and not great.

Baldurs gate 2
Mass Effect
Morrowind
Final Fantasy 3/6/8/tactics
Planescape Torment
Dragon Age Origins

Old School Isometric- Pretty well anything by Black Isle/Troika/Bioware

More Recent- The Mass Effect Trilogy, Fallout: New Vegas, The Witcher series, Dragon Age: Origins

My avatar is an obvious give away, but the original Gothic trilogy and Risen is a good start. Both Witcher games, both Two Worlds games, Morrowind and Skyrim as well, but not so much (they seem a little.. unfocused, in what they're trying to do). I'm currently also playing through Baldur's Gate, as I'm beginning to expand my horizons into the older isometric RPG's and have enjoyed it so far, so I'm going to guess that series also.

Also, I have heard some people refer to Mount & Blade: Warband, as an RPG. While I don't think that is the case, it is one of my favourite games so if you consider it an RPG, that too.

Well, the Mass Effect series is the big one for me.

I also remember having a lot of fun with the original Fallout.

Lastly, I have something of a love-hate relationship with Bethesda games.

PS. Anyone feel like defining "RPG"? Y'know, for the sake of clarity...

Well I played Skyrim recently and it's definitely made me a lot more interested in that sort of RPG.

The Breath of Fire series is phenomenal, I would especially recommend playing III & IV on the PSX or PSP. 1 & 2 are also pretty good, and were some of the earliest and most groundbreaking console RPGs of the genre.

I used to love Legend of the Dragoon, but upon replaying it a few years ago I discovered it was actually a quite mediocre game disguised by impressive visuals at the time.

I never did play much Final Fantasy, but IX will always hold a special place in my heart, also arguably the best looking game for the PSX.

World of Warcraft is the most significant RPG in my life, I played for 3 years during the Vanilla days and throughout The Burning Crusade.

More recently I've fallen in love with The Witcher series. Though contrary to many people's beliefs, I honestly thought the first one was better than the second. Mostly because the second had very few side quests and the experience intake was messed up. Monsters provide very little XP, while the quests provide a ton, sometimes you can level up 3 times from one major quest. Oh and every level takes 1000XP total and quest XP didn't appear to diminish in value based on level.

Chrono Trigger
Deus Ex
Mass Effect series
Alpha Protocol
The Witcher series
Secret of Mana
Elder Scrolls series
KoToR series

The Shin Megami Tensei Series is great, especially Persona 3 Portable and 4, and I still haven't gotten to the Devil Summoner or Digital Devil Saga offshoots yet

Earthbound is great. Every character is a success.

Planescape Torment is my favorite of the old school PC RPGS, followed closely by the Fallouts. I'm playing through the Baldurs Gate games right now, and they'd probably come next for this list.

The Elder Scrolls games always have notable flaws, but they're still at the top of my list as well. I've beaten the main quest of Morrowind at least 4 times now.

Beyond that, Final Fantasy games usually have some exemplary features, Tales games are consistently enjoyable, Golden Sun games are solid, The World Ends with You was good aside from the controls, Vampire the Masquerade was fun, and that's most of my list

Don't play many RPGs as the fantasy dragons and wizards crap bores me very fast.

My favorites are the Mass Effect series and Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines. I used to like Deus Ex but the 2nd one killed it for me so I won't buy the last one. the Black and White games were fun, I think those are RPGs though they might be RTS on some kind of drug :)

PST. Goes without saying.
Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines.
Final Fantasy 7.
Final Fantasy 8.
Baldurs Gate 1&2.
KOTOR.
Fallout - all of them.
Daggerdale.
Morrowind.
Oblivion.
Skyrim.
NWN.
Kingdoms of Amalur (recent addition).
ME series.
DA:O.

Hmm...

Planescape: Torment
Chrono trigger

...if Pokémon counts then I might as well say that too. It's probably one of the series that I invest the most hours on for some reason.

Zhukov:

The way I define it is a game where the main focus is on playing the role of a character through a story and a deep leveling system.

My favourites are Oblivion and Skyrim, and possibly the original Fable and KoA: Reckoning. I love RPGs but I guess I only really sink time in to a select few. I find it hard to find one that I think is worth spending my time on.

Illusion of Time is one of my favourite RPG's, its probably the one that got me into that sort of game. Others include, Skies of Arcadia, Tales of Symphonia, Paper Mario and Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn and Valkyria Chronicles.

Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape: Torment is me some of my favorite RPG's.

Zhukov:
Well, the Mass Effect series is the big one for me.

I also remember having a lot of fun with the original Fallout.

Lastly, I have something of a love-hate relationship with Bethesda games.

Your asking for a flame war between the "defined by maths, rolls and levelling system!" people and the "defined by creating your own role!" people. It's not pretty. People get d20 dice replacing their eyeballs.

OT: the Mass Effects, Dragon Age Origin, Fallout New Vegas.

- Final Fantasy 6/8/9 and the Tactics series
- Lufia and the Fortress of Doom
- Lufia II: Rise of the Sinnistrals
- Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
- Baldurs Gate 2
- Mass Effect series
- Pokémon Crystal
- World of Warcraft (No, seriously)

Richardplex:

Zhukov:

Your asking for a flame war between the "defined by maths, rolls and levelling system!" people and the "defined by creating your own role!" people. It's not pretty. People get d20 dice replacing their eyeballs.

Quiet, you fool! You'll ruin everything!

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas :D Then the first Mass Effect game, since I have yet to get around to the second one and Oblivion since I spent way to long in that game when it first came out. o.o

*KOTOR
*Chrono Trigger
*Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire
*Golden Sun and GS:The Lost Age
*Icewind Dale II
*Fallout 3/New Vegas
*The elder Scrolls:Morrowind and the newer ES games.
*Final Fantasy IV
*Probably a lot more I'm forgetting right now.

Deus ex, Vampire:Bloodlines, Fallout, Planescape torment, Morrowind, NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer, System shock 2, KOTOR2 ....

Zhukov:
Anyone feel like defining "RPG"? Y'know, for the sake of clarity...

Uh oh, Incoming plethora of "It's a game where you play a role" arguments, which are wrong.

To me RPG's are where your character skills, and not yours, determine the outcome(Fallout 1, Baldur's gate, Arcanum)
When there is a mix between your and your character's skills those are action-RPG hybrids(Deus ex, System shock 2)
When your skills govern the success then that's an action game with RPG elements(Deus ex Human revolution, Mass Effect)

Super Mario RPG

That is by far, the best RPG game that has ever been released.

Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magicka Obscura
Baldur's Gate I & II
Planescape: Torment
Fallout 1 & 2

I really prefer the older 'silent protagonist' style games. I feel they had a bunch more in the way of options of how you could interact with people. They also tended to be longer due to lower production costs. The interfaces get a bit dated as time goes on, but I still play each of these once every year or so in my spare time. Got to love anything with that sort of replayability.

New Vegas, Fallout 3, Stalker, Deus Ex: HR.

Every other SP RPG I've played has bored me.

The Fallout series for sure. Great games with deep character, a rich lore, bleak yet genuinelly living world, and proof that a series can change in a rather drastic way and still be great. Truly my favorite series.

FF7, FF8, FFX, dragon age: origins, TES oblivion, Skyrim, Star wars KOTOR, and many more, can't remember them all now.

add:

Betrayal at Krondor

to my list.

PSX
Suikoden 1, 2
Final Fantasy 8, 9
Grandia

PS2
Final Fantasy 10

PS3
Final Fantasy 13

There are a few more RPGs but, these are without a doubt the ones I could play any time.

RPG Thread.

Post game all about combat/stats/exploration.

Bitch please.

Darklands

Imbechile:
Deus ex, Vampire:Bloodlines, Fallout, Planescape torment, Morrowind, NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer, System shock 2, KOTOR2 ....

Zhukov:
Anyone feel like defining "RPG"? Y'know, for the sake of clarity...

Uh oh, Incoming plethora of "It's a game where you play a role" arguments, which are wrong.

To me RPG's are where your character skills, and not yours, determine the outcome(Fallout 1, Baldur's gate, Arcanum)
When there is a mix between your and your character's skills those are action-RPG hybrids(Deus ex, System shock 2)
When your skills govern the success then that's an action game with RPG elements(Deus ex Human revolution, Mass Effect)

Not sure if being narrow minded or not.

I mean, you start with "I disagree with this argument, so it is objectively wrong" then go to "however, in my opinion RPGs are blah"

though that is the most compelling argument I've heard for stats making the RPG. Guess now I have to take those guys seriously...

Let see-
Golden Sun 1 & 2
Xenoblade Chronicles
Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic
Guild Wars
Pokemon Diamond

Right now I'd put Fallout: New Vegas at the top. Really good stuff. I could list off my other favorites but they're probably already here so screw it.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines- one of the finest RPG games I've played, even though that ending was pretty uninteresting
Eschalon Book 1 & 2: Oldschool isometric turnbased RPG. 'Nuff said.
Gothic 1&2: If you haven't, go and play it. It's that good.
Neverwinter Nights will propably go into this list as well.
And Fallout 1&2 , and New Vegas too.
Also, Skyrim.

Super Mario RPG. It was just fun, for almost no reason but it undeniably is.
Elder scrolls. For being one o the most free flowing set of games ever made
FF7. Because... well it is rather obvious

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked