Games you like that critics hate

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Magicka, I mean most of the issues have been patched now, that or i just can not find them to be that frequent.

Elmoth:
Assassin's Creed 1 and Mass Effect 1. Love these games. Both slower and less 'epic' than their sequels, but much better written. (I can not understand how anyone can stand the over the top stereotype characters in AC2. Fucking nerd girl pisses me off.)

And I like Hellgate: London.

In what world did Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed get bad reviews?

Bullet witch, Carmageddon PS1

Add me to the Alpha Protocol list. A surprisingly detailed game, with a good story, good characters, decent gameplay, and a huge amount of choice.

Fat_Hippo:
This is turning into an Alpha Protocol love thread. That's a VERY good thing. It definitely did not deserve the bashing it got upon release. WAY better than Deus Ex: Human Revolutions in my opinion.

I don't know if i'd go that far - I think story wise and dialogue mechanics wise it's probably better - but combat and overall polish go to DXHR. Both are great though!

Glass Joe the Champ:

Elmoth:
Assassin's Creed 1 and Mass Effect 1. Love these games. Both slower and less 'epic' than their sequels, but much better written. (I can not understand how anyone can stand the over the top stereotype characters in AC2. Fucking nerd girl pisses me off.)

I was thinking the same thing.

Mass Effect - averages a rating of 90 by critics

Assassin's Creed - averages a rating of 80 by critics.

While not hated by reviewers. This is probably as close as it gets for me because it's simply considered good and also unknown. I personally love the game and happily place it among my top 10 games of that generation.

I'm sure I loved a ton of NES and Commodore 64 games that were considered terrible. But I wouldn't know how they were critically received at the time.

Tanis:
God Hand - This game got HAMMERED by reviewers but I LOVE(D) it.

I just picked it up off PSN, I'll agree it looks alright. Not seen anything yet that really makes me love it, I'm not much of a fan of the Western setting but I did literally just start it. Controls are a bit dodgy but it's nothing deal breaking.

For me it's just stuff like Clive Barker's Jericho, stuff I know is bad but it's bad in that kind of horror movie way where it's just funny.

Just Plain Lazy:
Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days is up there as one of my all time favorite games, it's just so much mindless fun, that I will agree is very short but hell I still like the game-play and the lack of a better term "dark" story line you follow them through.

I love both Kane and Lynch games. They're great for split-screen co-op. The controls are a tad clunky, but once you get around that, it's all good. Great voice acting from the main cast, too.

Pretty much every 3D-next gen Sonic console game (with the exception of Sonic '06 and the Storybook games). Critics tend to bash on how Sonic controls, the prescense of a story, the inclusion of his friends, or how many shameless comparisons to it's platforming rival Mario that it makes (Sonic Colors sucks because it "TRIED" to like Super Mario Galaxy? Really?!).

I enjoy all the good bits of the Sonic titles and I feel like the latest installments are building up to bigger and better titles.

Mine is really easy. All the Digimon games have low Metacritic scores except Digimon World DS, and that one is a 71 so it just barely is over the standards. I have yet to play one I don't like, with the closest being Digimon World 4 which was a slight like.

One from more recent games is Cross Edge for the PS3, although I can see that being scored low since it appeals more to a niche market and MANY people haven't even heard of the games they used in the crossover.

Deadly Premonition. What do you think, Zach?

Duke Nukem Forever. I mean, it wasn't THAT bad. And the original games weren't even that good to begin with. But yeah, everyone, including critics, hated the game. I had fun. End of story.

pretty much all the games that are at least a 7 but get a 5 or 6 'cause they forgot to bribe EGM.

hooboy have I got a few of these under my belt.

Bubsy 3d for the Playstation. First for real seriously 3d platformer I ever played (one of the first in fact, if not the first?), which just goes to show sometimes it's better to wait for Mario to come out and do it right and totally rip him off.

Yet I still really dig it. Graphically I think it holds up better than a lot of these older games, strictly cuz of how basic and simple the art design and geometry of the levels is. And the actual game mechanics weren't THAT horrible? I'm not sure why I enjoyed it really. BUT I DID.

HardRockSamurai:
I don't usually disagree with game critics when it comes to bad games, but I had to disagree with them when it came to Two Worlds, probably best known as "that-one-game-that-tries-to-be-Oblivion-and-fails."

I'll admit, the game has zero originality, boring visuals, broken mechanics, and one of the worst user-interfaces ever to grace a video game; but I'll be darned if it wasn't really fun to play. I found that what it lacked in polish, it made up with it's vast amount of content and the freedom it gave players; it pretty much let you do anything you wanted to.

If I had to summarize it, Two Worlds is essentially the video game equivalent of a B-Movie, a shameless imitation that can occasionally end up being more fun than the thing it's trying to emulate. And, like most B-Movies, it got a sequel, and from what I've heard from friends, it's just as fun as the first game.

Basically, this. But the funny thing is is that I never ran into any glitches. Ever. Everywhere I see someone talk about it, they always say it freezes up, there's things glitched out the ass, so on and so forth, but I never ran into anything of the sort. I also preferred the first's single player over the second's.

Another: Rule of Rose. I'm a survival horror fan, and for the most part design decisions that are labeled as "bad" in these games don't really bother me. I say that if it lends itself to the mood you're trying to evoke it can't be objectively bad. And I was weened on Resident Evil. No problem navigating those games really.

With all of that said, Rule of Rose is pretty bad even by my lax standards for survival horror. It's a guilty pleasure for real. It's got a pretty amazing story that makes concrete sense by the end (not that I mind the ambiguity of say, a Silent Hill, but sometimes it's refreshing to get something that has fairly concrete answers by the end).

I'm really liking Resident Evil: ORC so far (54 on metacritic). It's getting a lot of crap for bad mechanics and AI but it doesn't bother me and playing as the bad guys for once is so satisfying. No more trying to save hostages only to have them run in front of my bullets and give me a game over. I even bent my no day 1 dlc rule for this game.

This is easy, because I am playing it now: Ninja Gaiden 3. I'll admit all of the problems critics have mentioned for this game are true, and yet the sheer joy of evasion and slicing people with my sword is all here. I think of it as Ninja Gaiden Lite, really, and I've enjoyed it enough to beat the game twice now, and will probably beat it a third time. I also found the chaotic multiplayer strangely addictive.

Another one was Dark Void. This game got slammed, or at least forgotten by critics. I bought this and Dead Space on sale when Blockbuster was closing. Dead Space put me to sleep on the first level, but this game was sheer joy, like Uncharted but with a jetpack so way more awesome.

And maybe the third was Ghostbusters for PS3. As a huge GB fan I found this game really enjoyable and it has a special place in my heart for the sense of being part of the team it gave me.

Well, seeing as Alpha Protocol has been mentioned extensively I can skip that and add this to the pile: The Monster Hunter games for the PSP.

Basically most (thankfully not all) of the reviews I've read for Freedom, Freedom 2 & Freedom Unite came down to one simple conclusion: No auto lock for the camera instantly equals bad game. I'll admit it was quite amusing to read the reviewers' reasoning on said subject, but it's when I learned to ignore journalistic reviews of games and instead go by general word of mouth by fellow players.

Hell, it's what got me to buy Alpha Protocol in the end, and I regret nothing.

I wouldn't say critics hated it, but they said it wasn't all that good.

NeverDead. I thought it was fucking awesome aside from the occasional frustration.

Bioshock 2 Hated by most of the critics out there, but I thought it was downright fantastic.

Enslaved Maybe not hated, but definitely underrated.

Dead Space 2 The greater majority thought it wasn't as good as Dead Space 1, but personally I thought it was amazing.

Dragon Age 2 Well, I don't really ~love~ it, but it's a decent game and doesn't deserve the huge volcano of hate that was thrown at it.

For me, Kirby Air Ride. I loved that game, but it was considered to be an unremarkable "meh" sort of game.

Myst V: It came out, was damned with faint praise, vanished into the ether.

But I REALLY freaking loved the tablet-drawing mechanic. It was different enough from the last games that it completely non-derivative. It was also the first (and only) game to make me wet myself in terror.

Duke Nukem Forever. Sure it wasn't great or epic like everyone expected but it was a generic FPS starring Duke Nukem. What else did they expect? Not saying it should have gotten fabulous scores for that but it doesn't deserve all the hate it gets.

I thought Champions Online was a great 'spritual successor' to City of Heroes. Fans and critics not so much, so the game kind of languished in its second year. CO was an MMO that tried to innovate beyond WoW: action combat with up to 20 skills and few cooldowns*, open skill selection instead of trinity classes (so the number of builds were endless, and top players were always discovering new combinations), and every player on the same server.

*and full Xbox 360 controller support for all those actions. I would liken it to playing a fighting game, but a little bit slower and using shift keys instead of combos (i.e. X, Y, B, lefttrigger + X, rightshoulderbutton + B, dpadleft + Y, etc). I haven't played any other game with as many actions using the controller, and also having fully customizable controls.

Zhukov:
Y'know, I don't think I've ever been in that position.

The closest example I can think of is Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. It got a very lukewarm critical reception. (Metascore of 75, which is low when you remember that hardly anything scores under 70.)

Even then though, I can see why it got reviewed poorly. It had some severe issues. I just love it for the ending and epilogue.

PS. In before, "All critics are hacks who take bribes".

It had some bugs and it was near impossible to play on my computer, but I love that game to death. Yes, the ending made me start bawling literally.

Glass Joe the Champ:

Elmoth:

The first in both series were seen as having a lot of gameplay flaws. And I bet that if you show a random gamer Mass Effect 1 nowadays, 9 out of 10 would say it's so slow they'd not be able to finish the first mission.

But setting and writing is more important to me than gameplay. (Though atrocious gameplay can turn me off of a game)

let's see...

Bullet Witch - never finished this one, but i definitely had fun with it. at the very least it was an interesting game.

Wet - this game doesn't have the best plot or gameplay but i really enjoyed it, and i loved the style, especially in certain sections.

DC Universe Online - i sort of stopped playing this one, but i thought the combat was fun (especially compared to some other mmos i've played), and both the super speed and acrobatics travel powers are a ton of fun.

Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon - okay, i agree that the story to this one is shit, but me and my friend played it together and had a ton of fun. i guess i think fondly on it because of that more so than the game having any merit on its own.

that's all i can think of for now.

All of the Siren series. Ok, the first one may be a bit rocky, but the other two are under-appreciated gems.

Gir1yG4m3r:

Zhukov:
The closest example I can think of is Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. It got a very lukewarm critical reception. (Metascore of 75, which is low when you remember that hardly anything scores under 70.)

Even then though, I can see why it got reviewed poorly. It had some severe issues. I just love it for the ending and epilogue.

It had some bugs and it was near impossible to play on my computer, but I love that game to death. Yes, the ending made me start bawling literally.

Yeah, some of those final scenes were about as bittersweet as they come.

However, what I loved most about the ending was when Zoe comes home from her big adventure to find everything completely unchanged. There are still kids playing near the fountain, her favourite coffee shop is still there and her bed is still unmade. But after the dark and nasty crap she's seen all the familiar, bright cozyness seems alien and oddly out of place.

I have no idea if that was an intentional effect on the part of the developers, but it hit me like a halfbrick between the eyes.

Godhand is obvious. The new syndicate kinda.

I liked Hydrophobia and Metro 2033.

The critics were not very kind to either, especially hydrophobia.

Regnes:

Seeing that game again reminded me of a question that's been haunting me for far too long...

Who the hell is Jodo Kast? o0 My kid self just assumed he was Boba Fett's brother or something. Anyways I had fun with that game too.

Otherwise back on topic.. Well of those people have already listed: Alpha Protocol and Mass Effect 1 (it's still my overall favorite of the series).

Now to produce some more original answers...

King Arthur The Role Playing Wargame 2 which did not get a good critic reception at all.
Team Buddies (an old ps1 game) which is still one of my fav coop games of all time http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_Buddies

Hang on...What's this? o0
"Team Buddies was not popular upon release, and therefore received a very limited release and isn't widely available. The game developed a cult following however after people caught onto the gameplay. Since not many copies are available, especially ones made for US release, today the game is considered one of the rarest and most difficult games to find for the PS1 and prices for it online range from $70 to $200."
Holy crap! I own a rare game :D

Can probably think of a few more for the ps1 but for now gonna go put that team buddies cd in a protective bag or something... Seems I should be taking way better care of my ps1 games.

Frankster:

Regnes:

Seeing that game again reminded me of a question that's been haunting me for far too long...

Who the hell is Jodo Kast? o0 My kid self just assumed he was Boba Fett's brother or something. Anyways I had fun with that game too.

He's just some nobody from the expanded universe, they probably just wanted to artificially expand the roster, so they found Jodo Kast who is just Boba Fett with a different colour scheme, easy as hell to add.

Regnes:

He's just some nobody from the expanded universe, they probably just wanted to artificially expand the roster, so they found Jodo Kast who is just Boba Fett with a different colour scheme, easy as hell to add.

Ah right, no wonder I know nothing of this guy despite not being completely ignorant of star wars lore.

If i recall though, Jodo Kast was one of the best non lightsaber characters. Remember playing him tons and having a decent win ratio. Or maybe that's my memories tricking me...It's been too long since I played.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked