What's your habit in games?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

What habits have you experienced when you play you play games? For example, do you something similar to me when fighting, primarily in shooters where you narrate what you're doing? Do you have a catch phrase? Do you swing your controller around? Do you scoot closer? Make faces? What?

For my specifically, I narrate as I said on what's going on, and my "catch phrase" I would say is "Sit the fuck back down." Which normally comes out after I snipe someone or easily defeat someone. IE: in Halo I'll get caught off guard and in an instant, I kill my challenger. In response I'll say "Bitch, sit the fuck back down."

So what are your habits?

In MMOs, I often played a healer, and I often gravitated towards PvP. In PvP, a stationary healer is a dead healer, so I got used to running around like an idiot whose ass was on fire. This eventually seeped over into PvE as well, so now I just literally CANNOT stand still while playing a healer. I've got to be running all over the place, even if there is absolutely zero threat of anything attacking me.

I'm a perfectionist and, I'm borderline obsessive compulsive.

I just have to have 100% completion in all my games.

I'm a compulsive reloader.

Kahunaburger:

Hello compulsive reloader.

I'm a compulsive quick-saver.

Despite knowing what they are i always refer to Play station buttons as A,B,X,Y not Square, Circle, X, Triangle

BloatedGuppy:
In MMOs, I often played a healer, and I often gravitated towards PvP. In PvP, a stationary healer is a dead healer, so I got used to running around like an idiot whose ass was on fire. This eventually seeped over into PvE as well, so now I just literally CANNOT stand still while playing a healer. I've got to be running all over the place, even if there is absolutely zero threat of anything attacking me.

It's not even just a healer for me. In MMOs, I have to ALWAYS be moving. Always. Especially if I play a non-tanking class, specifically rogues and mages. I just can never stand still and wait for groups to get together, I can't just stand and shoot, I have to move. I have very twitchy hands, but not really jittery I guess, I always need them to do something.

Kahunaburger:

So basically just shoot, reload, shoot, reload? Same thing here. I kill someone, gotta reload.

Frozen Fox:
Despite knowing what they are i always refer to Play station buttons as A,B,X,Y not Square, Circle, X, Triangle

Opposite way for me.

When playing an RPG, after I complete a chapter/segment/defeat a boss, I tend to back track where I just was and just grind until my characters gain a few levels or learn a new skill. Thanks to FF X, I always have this paranoia about starting a new section of the game and being taken completely off-guard by the enemies or a boss fight.

Side quests get finished first.

It's a law.

In RPG's I will ALWAYS be reluctant to use disposable items (like potions and such) and MP (if it doesn't regen) and will end up going through most of the game like this before realising what a tight bastard I am and thinking 'What the hell am I saving this stuff for?!'.

If a game has some sort of sprinting function, I'll lean forward in real life as my character sprints.

In Pokemon games, I abuse the Pokemon centres way too much. Like healing after every 2 or 3 battles (come to think of it, this is probably down to my habit of not wanting to ever use items).

Zhukov:
Side quests get finished first.

It's a law.

definitely, I never do a main story mission when there are still side missions to do, except where the side missions are just infinitely copy pasted versions of each other.
Same OP, I tend to say sit down after quick or easy kills :)

In any RPG my items MUST be rounded to the nearest 5. If not I get annoyed because it looks off. I'll save all of the rare items (Megalixirs, Elixirs, Phoenix Pinions, Holy War/Hero Drinks etc) until the end of the game where they're usually next to useless. I save all of my old equipment just incase I need it for something later on ( An effect the Synthesis system from FF9 had on me).

When I drive vehicles, mostly in Battlefield, I'll lean into the corners and try to see round the edge of the screen. Makes next to no sense but when you're being tailed by two very angry fighter jets it gets pretty tense.

Hikaru CF:
In RPG's I will ALWAYS be reluctant to use disposable items (like potions and such) and MP (if it doesn't regen) and will end up going through most of the game like this before realising what a tight bastard I am and thinking 'What the hell am I saving this stuff for?!'.

Same deal here, unless of course I actually need it and there's no other way. That happens in Skyrim. I have almost never used a pokemon item aside from Pokeballs, I have never used potions in MMOs.

Kahunaburger:

Ditto. I feel... compelled... to load a new magazine after every kill whenever I'm playing a shooter. It's saved my life probably... just as many times as it's gotten me killed.

And it's actually pretty detrimental when you get into more realistic shooters where if you have 300 rounds of ammunition and 30 rounds in your magazine, and you reload when you have 21 rounds left in your magazine, you now have a new 30 round magazine in your rifle and 270 rounds of ammunition spare instead of 291. In games like that I end up wasting soooo much ammo.

I always play as a stealth character when I start a new rpg. I also do the constant reloading thing.

I'm a trying to do all the sidequests first on my first run through, but then just get about half of them done. Then go back on the second run through and spend hours getting every little thing.

I'm a take some fps to seriously by taking cover, checking corners, and clearing room like I'm SWAT.

In shooters my tendency is to reload after every kill, which earns me a death more often than not. And i always play the support role

Same as some above.

Reloader here.

Kill, reload, kill and reload.

Can't say it's got me killed though, I tend to hide before reloading.

Obsessive quick-saving, and multiple save slots.

Oh, and I do all the sidequests I can do. First. Saving the world can wait.

I typically jump when I'm running. I don't know why. It started in WoW at low levels, just something entertaining to do when traveling around horseless. Thus it became habit.

I hoard things. If it is semi-easily replaceable, like a potion, I can use it. But give me a holy hand grenade, and it sits in my inventory forever. Case in point, I've got all the Pokemon you can catch in White. And two Master Balls in my backpack, because I never felt the time was right to use them.

Aircross:
I'm a perfectionist and, I'm borderline obsessive compulsive.

I just have to have 100% completion in all my games.

I tried that once final fantasy x2. I finished the game with 98% complete. At this point I just threw up my arms in despair and never tried again. :(

Always do sidequests. Always hunt down the true final boss.

And for multiplayer, channel rage into concentration. Dispels much swearing and halves my reaction time.

Frozen Fox:

Id think alot of Playstation veterans are the opposite.

I definitely don't have the reloading problem. I go the complete other way, in which I run around with an empty clip and don't reload until I try to fire and nothing happens (or the reloading starts automatically).

My habit is actually self-restrictions. I almost never use magic in RPGs (unless you call it The Force. Don't ask me why). I used a spell exactly once in Skyrim: I had to cast that one to get into the Mages college. And I was only going there so I could question the librarian. It actually kind of pissed me off that the game made me cast a spell. It broke character.

Also in that same Skyrim playthrough, I made a point to periodically kill some wild animals, cook and eat their meat, and sell their hides. I was playing the character as a very survival-minded hunter, obviously. That game really needs a New Vegas-style hardcore mode (for consoles).

Speaking of New Vegas, I had a run in it where I only used food items to heal (no stimpaks). I also only used pistols or a mine trap to defend myself. I'll do something similar for most runs, at least with weapons. I find making a set of rules to operate within really elevates the experience for a lot of games.

DrgoFx:
"Bitch, sit the fuck back down."

Not that lol.

I usually make my own noises. Like shooting and driving noises when playing shooting and driving games. Also when playing old FPS games I always stick to the left and hug the wall constantly pressing "Interact" button.

When playing Fifa I have to score 2 goals on the loading screen as a good luck ritual before the match begins properly.

I am also a compulsive reloader, which is annoying in the middle of a firefight.

DustyDrB:
I definitely don't have the reloading problem. I go the complete other way, in which I run around with an empty clip and don't reload until I try to fire and nothing happens (or the reloading starts automatically).

My habit is actually self-restrictions. I almost never use magic in RPGs (unless you call it The Force. Don't ask me why). I used a spell exactly once in Skyrim: I had to cast that one to get into the Mages college. And I was only going there so I could question the librarian. It actually kind of pissed me off that the game made me cast a spell. It broke character.

Also in that same Skyrim playthrough, I made a point to periodically kill some wild animals, cook and eat their meat, and sell their hides. I was playing the character as a very survival-minded hunter, obviously. That game really needs a New Vegas-style hardcore mode (for consoles).

Speaking of New Vegas, I had a run in it where I only used food items to heal (no stimpaks). I also only used pistols or a mine trap to defend myself. I'll do something similar for most runs, at least with weapons. I find making a set of rules to operate within really elevates the experience for a lot of games.

If you play it, I used to play a game with my friends in Borderlands. Every time a weapon drops, you gotta switch it out with your current weapon and you had to use that weapon until it ran out of ammo or a new weapon popped up. Pretty amusing since I was a shot gun, sniper loving guys [odd combo, I know.] And when I was given SMGs or a Rocket Launcher oddly enough I looked like a retarded mercenary with ADHD running in, shooting randomly and killing nearly nothing while shouting the Tick's battle cry of the glorious spoon. Yeah...not really threatening.

I save a lot. Just in case. It doesn't help when I have multiple characters. That's also something I'm pretty bad at doing when it comes to gaming: I'm never satisfied with One single character. I was showing my friend some stuff on Skyrim only to find out I was on the wrong character so I backed out and went to Load the right one. Only ~8 or so files showed up (that fit within my screen) and my friend was like "Damn you have a lot of saves!" and then I scrolled down, for at least 15 seconds. It was funny. I only do it with games in which you can make a good/bad choice. Katawa Shoujo probably has 100 saves too. XD I do really need to go in and delete the outdated/unnecessary saves at some point.

Another habit I have while gaming (while on a loading screen or waiting for something to happen) is to scrape my thumbnails against controller's joystick holders where the top/bottom covers meet. It's odd but hey, I always know which controller is mine lol.

Always save twice in a row. If I'm not sure if I have saved twice, save again just in case. Always save before going through a door or something that looks like I won't be able to go back through. Save when I unlock something cool. Save again. Save before talking to someone that might start a quest which means other stuff will be cut off to me after.

Always go the way which looks like it's the wrong way first. There might be something there which is useful or I won't be able to see after.

When playing with anything that needs reloading, I always reload when things have settled down. I mean its better to have a full clip and run into two different people and be able to kill them, then run into one person and not have enough ammo in the gun to kill them.

When playings RPGs where you get to choose your class, I always go warrior first. Almost no matter what I want to get close into my enmies and wasted them with my sword. I also horde items and only use them when I need to. Like I'm low on health and I don't have any magic to heal with. Actually with first level potions I use them often to keep them up but the next level and higher I only touch those when I have no choice.

When waiting for a door to open or something load or something to happen, and as I long as I have control of the character, then I run in circles. No really, I do. Its fun. If I don't run in circles I'm trying to get the character to spin in one spot.

Side Quests always come first because you never know what you're going to get in a new game and new stuff always helps.

When there is a NPC that I can hit without doing damage to them, I will hit them as they are talking.

When beating a tough enemy or boss I go Boom, goes the dynamite.

Every nook and cranny in a game needs to be explored. No really it does but thats the first rule of any rpg.

Well... i save a lot (it's ridiculous), i always move my leg like a drummer (and start yelling "common common common!!!").

That's when i'm excited with the game itself.

What's bad is when i get bored... i get obnoxious, jump like crazy, run and gun, and say DAFUK constantly.

I play online a lot (steam mods) xD

1) perfectionist, GOTTA HAVE THOSE 100% COMPLETION AND NO HEALTH LOST
2) STEALTH EVERYTHING ALL DAY EVERY DAY
seriously, I sometimes find myself attempting to backstab Imps and Revenants in Doom...

and in case of RPGs, sidequests before main quest always

In loading screens I'll hold the controller like a gun and fire at stuff.
In FPS games I will constantly reload, even if I only killed one dude.

- I too suffer from compulsive reload syndrome

- In shooters I mostly avoid long ranged combat unless forced into it. Much prefer mid-close ranged. Snipers are for the cowardly and weak I say!!

- I am very frugal about items in RPGs. I tend to not use them unless absolutely necessary, and even then I can be hesitant.

- In RPGs, I more often than not ALWAYS get to a specific level before progressing (ie: I must be lvl25 before moving on to next point ect...)

- I normally play the more versatile classes in RPGs, being equipped with a little of everything. If one isn't available, I make my own.

- I must explore every nook and cranny of every dungeon/location, no exception.

- Fighting games, I have am one of those people who gets that second wind and proceeds to make some crazy stupid combacks when pushed. Seems after half my health is gone, I can turn into a wrecking machine and turn the tables in a matter of seconds.

- The above second wind statement goes hand in hand with my tendency to sort of turtle for the beginning more or less. Get a feel for my opponent before going nuts...probably explains why my primary characters tend to be of the turtle category (Baiken, Hakumen, ExDeath, ect...)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked