The quest for well written games

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

So lately i've been replaying the mass effect trilogy. I don't want to talk about that in here, but suffice it to say I finished the first but not the second or third.

So now I'm kind of looking for the next game that can provide my story fix. If it's too old, I'll probably not play it. I've been spoiled by the newer games with their flashy graphics and more structured gameplay. But I can overcome bad graphics if it's aesthetically good. Like Mass Effect 1 which many find ugly. So does anyone know of any well written games?

I've already played:

Fallout 1
Fallout: New Vegas + DLC
Assassin's Creed 1
Mass Effect 1
Half Life 1+2+Episodes
Bioshock

And maybe i'll get around to morrowind when I've finished Oblivion.

Planescape: Torment, of course :) Writing-wise, you really can't go too wrong with anything by CDPR, Valve, Obsidian, or Double Fine.

If you're alright with PS2 JRPGs, some of the more Shin Megami Tensei games are great. They take a while to get started, (particularly Persona 4) and have some of the clichés of the genre, but otherwise I'd highly recommend it.

hazabaza1:
If you're alright with PS2 JRPGs, some of the more Shin Megami Tensei games are great. They take a while to get started, (particularly Persona 4) and have some of the clichés of the genre, but otherwise I'd highly recommend it.

I've heard good things about them. But I've not enjoyed anything japanese in years. I don't think I'll ever get into those games. Besides I don't own a console anyway.

not sure what you would class as old or what has good/bad graphics but you cant go wrong with the longest journey on PC for a well written story and great characterisation.

Elmoth:

hazabaza1:

I've heard good things about them. But I've not enjoyed anything japanese in years. I don't think I'll ever get into those games. Besides I don't own a console anyway.

Ah, shame.
Well, I doubt I can help much. PC games aren't really my forte, but I wish you luck regardless.

The Witcher 2, it's brilliant writing. You need multiple playthroughs to fully understand the game, and all the characters are multi-faceted and have different and conflicting motives. I highly recommend it. The Witcher 2 is pretty damn good too.

Mass Effect 1 is ugly? It came out for the 360, it's not THAT old. Well, what about Bastion? I think it has a good story. Its not super long, but is not expensive. I would suggest Deus Ex, but I doubt you would play it. Deus Ex:Human Revolution on the other hand would be a good one to check out too. Its less than a year old(I think) and its mostly well written.

Psychonauts. I can't really say anything more than that. The platforming controls are a bit awkward on PC, but the writing well more than makes up for that.

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines

Very good game that you can probably get for next to nothing.

Play Nier. Finish the game, start NG+ and realize the masterful and mature story. Then be angry that Cavia was dissolved and no new Nier games will be made...

If you're into the Star Wars mythos, you could pick up Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 for pretty cheap - they're well made W-RPGs with great writing behind them, even if the second falls apart a little towards the end. The first is on Steam for about a fiver (GBP), although the second isn't, unfortunately.

If you've never played it, Cave Story is well-written, although I think a lot of the story is centered around the player's ability to put facts together - it's also free, unless you get the Steam version, which has extra content and better graphics.

Seeing as you've already played the first Assassin's Creed, I think it'd be remiss of you if you didn't play the others as well. II the best kind of sequel, which is to say, one which builds upon the previous game in every conceivable way.

I think Jade Empire is up on Steam as well, that's another brilliantly written game, try that.

Oh, and Psychonauts, of course.

Planescape: Torment. Some of the best, deepest writing you'll ever encounter in any medium

Elmoth:

I've already played:

Assassin's Creed 1

The first Assassin's Creed had a well written story? Really?
Anyway, in that case you should play Assassin's Creed 2, which is far superior in its story (and also in every other way).

Other than that, Bastion is a great game with a beautiful, heart-wrenching/-warming story and an even greater style of narrative. Also, it's very pretty.

Avadon: The Black Fortress is quite well-written, if I remember correctly. You can pick it up for 9,99€ on Steam.

Also, Bastion. It has one of the most unique ways of delivering a story I, for one, have ever seen.

Grim Fandango. Need I say more?

star wars knights of the old republic 2 the sith lords, the best game ever. play it and thank me latter.

I'm surprised to see that Magicka hasn't been mentioned.

Admittedly, it isn't a 'serious' title like some of the others mentioned, but if you like satire/parody, it's amazing.

Indecipherable:

No... Just no. That game starts out decent, but it spirals into mediocrity.

The best written games I have ever played are the Kingdom Hearts games, Tales of Monkey Island, Madworld, Trauma Team, The World Ends With You, and Viewtiful Joe 2.

Karutomaru:

Indecipherable:

The best written games I have ever played are the Kingdom Hearts games, Tales of Monkey Island, Madworld, Trauma Team, The World Ends With You, and Viewtiful Joe 2.

You are going to need this.

VTMB is one of those games (like Portal and Minecraft), that you would get you absolutely barbecued if you said one single bad thing about it, as it's highly praise around here.

Super Metroid.

No, really, super Metroid. It may seem silly to say that especially since there is barely any writing at all but what makes it amazing is the framework. You get one short internal monologue at the beginning and it sets up the adventure perfectly. The writing is minimal but the story and atmosphere the writing at the beginning sets in motion is amazing

Elmoth:
So lately i've been replaying the mass effect trilogy. I don't want to talk about that in here, but suffice it to say I finished the first but not the second or third.

So now I'm kind of looking for the next game that can provide my story fix. If it's too old, I'll probably not play it. I've been spoiled by the newer games with their flashy graphics and more structured gameplay. But I can overcome bad graphics if it's aesthetically good. Like Mass Effect 1 which many find ugly. So does anyone know of any well written games?

I've already played:

Fallout 1
Fallout: New Vegas + DLC
Assassin's Creed 1
Mass Effect 1
Half Life 1+2+Episodes
Bioshock

And maybe i'll get around to morrowind when I've finished Oblivion.

I would recommend....

Jazoni89:

Karutomaru:

Indecipherable:

You are going to need this.

VTMB is one of those games, that you would get absolutely barbecued if you said one single bad thing about it, as it's highly praise around here.

never hear of it before

Alpha Protocol

It has some incredibly broken elements, but writing isn't one of them. How much you enjoy the game depends purely on if you like the story enough to get past the flawed gameplay.

If you've already played Fallout 1 then you NEED to play FAllout 2! It is 10x better! Also get the restoration project mod for it as it adds alot of content that wasn't fininshed when the game came out. Hands down my favourite game of all time! Also after playing 2 go back to New Vegas as there are so many referenes to it!
I would also recommend;
Baldur's Gate I & II
Knights of The Old Republic I & II
Planescape Torment
Beneath the Steel Sky
Dues Ex
Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura
Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader
Final Fantsy 5-9
Alpha Protocol
The Witcher
Portal 1 & 2

That should keep you going for awhile!

Karutomaru:

Indecipherable:

Interesting, can you elaborate why you feel that way?

I am not trying to persuade you otherwise, I'm genuinely curious. I know it may not be everybody's cup of tea. As with every other game, I suppose.

OT: Since most of the things I wanted to say are here, I'll just go with Second Sight. I think it doesn't get enough love, I stumbled upon it after it was back in 2005 and I hadn't heard of it. It was a good bargain and it had an intriguing plot synopsis, so I got it. I've no idea why it flew below the radar - I really liked the game. It's £3.50 on Steam, so it's still a good bargain, I say.

Also, go with Prince of Persia: Sands of Time - not a really original story (classic hero vs evil) but really well done. Play the Trilogy, if you want - it's still good, I just think Sands of Time is the best.

Avayu:

Elmoth:

I've already played:

Assassin's Creed 1

Anyway, in that case you should play Assassin's Creed 2, which is far superior in its story (and also in every other way).

So stereotypical characters and a story formula that's been around for centuries is a well written story? I'm sorry I just couldn't stand the 100% stereotype assassin 'crew' they introduced at the start. The cynical brit, the nerd girl, the boobs, and the dull main character. The first had a very intriguing scientist character. And you were as the player embodied in desmond. You knew as much as he did. And as he uncovered the mysteries of the animus and the company, so did you. There was not a lot of exposition at the start as was with the second. A good story unravels itself more and more as it goes on. And that's what it did. Also, the little cinematics in 1 are brilliant. You retain control and really feel like you're there instead of watching a little movie like in other games. Brilliantly written as well. These were not clear and cut bad guys, they were powerhungry lords that you really felt had to be stopped. And the historic accuracy on top of all that completed the package.

DoPo:

Karutomaru:

Indecipherable:

Interesting, can you elaborate why you feel that way?

I am not trying to persuade you otherwise, I'm genuinely curious. I know it may not be everybody's cup of tea. As with every other game, I suppose.

OT: Since most of the things I wanted to say are here, I'll just go with Second Sight. I think it doesn't get enough love, I stumbled upon it after it was back in 2005 and I hadn't heard of it. It was a good bargain and it had an intriguing plot synopsis, so I got it. I've no idea why it flew below the radar - I really liked the game. It's £3.50 on Steam, so it's still a good bargain, I say.

Also, go with Prince of Persia: Sands of Time - not a really original story (classic hero vs evil) but really well done. Play the Trilogy, if you want - it's still good, I just think Sands of Time is the best.

In terms of both gameplay and story, it decays. The gameplay decays into nothing but combat (which controls HORRIBLY), and the story decays into nothing but "Find the sarcophagus/key to the sarcophagus before getting one out of a number of lame, anticlimactic endings. Plus it's badly padded.

Do you own a DS/ 3DS? If you do then I highly recommend the game Hotel Dusk: Room 215 and the sequel Last Window: The Secret of Cape West. Those games are detective like game and yes sure the graphic ain't like the 360 but come on, surely you can over look that for the rich and indept stories those game hold?

Elmoth:

Avayu:

Elmoth:

I've already played:

Assassin's Creed 1

So stereotypical characters and a story formula that's been around for centuries is a well written story? I'm sorry I just couldn't stand the 100% stereotype assassin 'crew' they introduced at the start. The cynical brit, the nerd girl, the boobs, and the dull main character. The first had a very intriguing scientist character. And you were as the player embodied in desmond. You knew as much as he did. And as he uncovered the mysteries of the animus and the company, so did you. There was not a lot of exposition at the start as was with the second. A good story unravels itself more and more as it goes on. And that's what it did. Also, the little cinematics in 1 are brilliant. You retain control and really feel like you're there instead of watching a little movie like in other games. Brilliantly written as well. These were not clear and cut bad guys, they were powerhungry lords that you really felt had to be stopped. And the historic accuracy on top of all that completed the package.

All very valid points. I hadn't really considered the story out of the animus (not a fan of those parts in either game, to be honest. I was more talking about the actual story as you see it in the animus. Which in the first one, pretty much comes down to someone telling you to "go there and kill that guy". You say that the villains were great characters, but thinking back to it, it feels like they were the only people with any characterisation at all. Altair was nearly as bland as Desmond and didn't really seem to have any motivation. Al Mualim as the final boss was really kind of a cheap twist. There were no memorable supporting characters, while AC2 was full of them.

Assassin's Creed 2 was a story about family. The first few tutorial missions gave you a family and characters to get close to. With their deaths, it became the story of a man seeking revenge for his family. All that gave Ezio more motivation and character than Altair ever had. From there the narrative flowed naturally, instead of having a clear, mission-based structure, showing us Ezio's growth as a person over a long span of time.

Now, I really liked AC1. If not, I would never have played the second game. Both games get a lot of points from me for their historical accuracy. But I'll stand by my opinion that Assassin's Creed 2 tells its story in a superior way.

But whatever you think of my opinion, reading yours has strengthened mine that you should really try out Bastion. Because I have never seen narrative that unravels quite like this.

One of the best stories I've played in a while was Red Dead Redemption, it's definitely worth a go :)

If you have a PS3, I'd pick up Heavy Rain. The writing is pretty solid, even if the controls can be a little difficult at first. It's truly a great game. Hope to see more from Quantic Dream.

Argh , no HEAVY RAIN? I hate you gaming comunity! How do you forget games like that? Also to a lesser extent indigo prophecy ( gets weird towards the end).

Depending on your definition of "good", i'd also say deadly premonition . Not as much "good" as it is cheesy and halarious .

Dammit no one said alan wake either ? Escapists you dissapoint me SO MUCH . Man that game was written better than some books for christs sake!

No lost odessey? really guys? REALLY? I know you escapists hate Jrpgs , but comon give credit where credit is due . Someone named kingdom hearts for christs sake! I ... I ... I thought this was a place for knowledged gamers . Tis a sad day indeed .

You know what ? I'm promoting myself to video game connaisseur , one rank up from gamer .

Edit: you guys were saves by the guy that posted 1 minute before me and said heavy rain , my faith in you guys are somewhat restored.

Sengoku Basara also has fantastic characterization.

To be fair, I did mention Heavy Rain just above you, hahaha.
Edit: Just saw your edit

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked