Puneshing the player for not playing your game.

So, as most of you know Mass Effect 3 has a multiplayer that affects the single player. I don't mind this at all since I like playing both.

But having a job that might keep me away from home days at a time I was shocked to come home today and see my Readiness rating had gone from 84% to 73%...

What horrible kind of game design is this?! I spent many hours getting to 84% and was looking forward to getting to 100% so I could get the "least bad ending"...

Now someone of you might say:
Aurgelmir you git, they did it that way so that you would keep playing the multiplayer!

To you I say:
Well then the readiness rating should not affect my single player experience, or at least not go down...

When you get a character to level 20 in multiplayer you can then promote that character to the "galaxy at war" which gives you more resources in the single player game.

You don't need to keep your galactic readiness at 100% you just need around 5k war assets.

Promote a few characters (shouldn't be too difficult with the 25% XP weekend) and you will have enough assets for the "least bad" ending.

But considering they screamed and shouted that multiplayer won't affect singleplayer it turned out to be complete bollocks.

In fact, a lot of what they said about ME3 turned out to be complete bollocks.

So yea, just keep promoting your level 20's and you will have an asset boost .... and a decent N7 rating.

Yeah, but as I said I don't have all that much time playing... so I wanted to just get my warasset to 100% and finish the game a second time, then put the game on the shelf.

Well, what should people who didn't want to play MP at all say, being locked out from 5K assets because of it?

Rawne1980:

But considering they screamed and shouted that multiplayer won't affect singleplayer it turned out to be complete bollocks.

In fact, a lot of what they said about ME3 turned out to be complete bollocks.

I called it back when the news came out. Guess what kind of hat I was accused of wearing. Sometimes, I hate being right, sometimes, not even "I told you so" gives any satisfaction. Meh, least they didn't get a cent out of me this time.

Aurgelmir:
/snip

Expect increasing amounts of these hooks in games, it's being written into contracts and the like along with metacritic score.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/technology/adrianhon/100006049/a-new-breed-of-computer-games-is-creating-compulsive-behaviour-someone-is-making-a-lot-of-money-out-of-this/

Get your war assets up to, whatever you want, 100% or etc. Then everytime you want to play it online, unplug your internet. still 100%

Aurgelmir:
So, as most of you know Mass Effect 3 has a multiplayer that affects the single player. I don't mind this at all since I like playing both.

But having a job that might keep me away from home days at a time I was shocked to come home today and see my Readiness rating had gone from 84% to 73%...

What horrible kind of game design is this?! I spent many hours getting to 84% and was looking forward to getting to 100% so I could get the "least bad ending"...

Now someone of you might say:
Aurgelmir you git, they did it that way so that you would keep playing the multiplayer!

To you I say:
Well then the readiness rating should not affect my single player experience, or at least not go down...

if you play on pc just download this:
http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1123521-ME3-Cheat-f%C3%BCr-100-Readiness?s=d9493e2ae0361014484f63a25565d47b
and your readiness rating will instantly be at 100%

i was bored with the multiplayer and after seeing my readiness level drop after a while i just said f**k it and just cheated.

just make sure you cut your internet connection or else it will start to drop again.

at 75% and with 5000 war assets you'll get the "not bad" ending
easy to do if your playing through a second time with the same Shepard

The only issue I ever had with this was how they chose to display it.

The concept is fine, play multiplayer and you get a bonus modifier to your readiness stat. Great, you can take it or leave it and it's not hurting anyone who'd rather not.

The problem is with presentation, where even people who don't touch the multiplayer have that constant glaring "50% Readiness" every time they look at the screen, creating the false perception that the player is being handicapped.

What they should have done is displayed it as a bonus, dropping the 50-100% bit and merely showing the percentage bonus you're getting, or showing nothing at all if you don't have one. Functionally, it would be no different, but it would divert some of the misguided whining.

As for it declining over time ... Get over it. It's a component based on being involved with an online feature, if you're not interested in participating, quit worrying about it.

My main objection now is more of the opposite. After you've promoted some of your multiplayer characters, the war assets you get from them in the main game is permanent, and will continue to grow the more you play, and it applies to all of your single player games. So basically, it's impossible for me to not have a shitload of war assets, ever. Making the entire concept irrelevant.

deleted post

Kumagawa Misogi:
Rather than keep complaining about moviebob the hypocrite douchebag just stop watching his videos until the escapist gets rid of him.

......You sure you're in the right thread buddy?

I have no idea how that happened

Jadak:
The problem is with presentation, where even people who don't touch the multiplayer have that constant glaring "50% Readiness" every time they look at the screen, creating the false perception that the player is being handicapped.

YES. Every time I opened up my game I was confused and concerned that I could never seem increase galactic readiness.

Kumagawa Misogi:
I have no idea how that happened

I assume science was involved.

That or fire and explosions.

That really sucks. That sounds like a skinner box technique employed by many social games, like Farmville punishing you by killing your plants unless you check on them :\

I give you Gibbed's Mass Effect 3 Save Editor!!!

Download, unzip, if need be download .NET Framework 4, open a save file in the save editor(back-up your save if you want to be safe), then follow these instructions:

1)Click on the 'Raw' tab.

2)Scroll down to the bottom. There will be a section labelled 'Squad'.

3)Click on 'Player', which will open up another menu.

4)Look for GAWAssets and click on it. You should see a menu tab appear to the right of where it says (Collection). Click on this.

5)In this new menu, it should default to highlighting the first option, which will read as option 0, Id 173. Change the number to the right of 'Strength' to whatever you want. This will change the value of the Alliance Fifth Fleet under the in-game War Assets screen to whatever number you choose.

6)Laugh at EA's pathetic attempt to control your single-player experience with multiplayer.

Does your galactic readiness go down even if you go play offline on the 360? I'm kinda worried that when Bioware releases the new addition to the ending, it'll require Shepard to be alive. And in order for Shepard to be alive, my war assets need to be at above 5000 I think. And in order for that to happen my galactic readiness needs to be at least almost 100%. And my my Gold account expires within a few days.

I'm actually madder about this than the conents of the actual ending. Interest in multiplayer tends to dissappear quickly and in a year's time, the "best" ending may only be easially viewable on youtube. Worse, multiplayer is locked behind (wait for it) an online pass. Guess what used game buyers, to get the "best" ending expect to cough up 10 bucks.

Minor non-specific spoilers.

Oh silly, it only affects about one second of cutscene in one of the endings.

If you do all of the quests properly, and get above the minimum (piss-easy without multiplayer) you should be fine.

Pull the internet next time you play so the game won't mess with your score.
But yes that is some pissy design (ME3 seems to be full of it), ofcourse they want you hooked and buying any and all DLC, this is just the cheapest way they can keep you around... and I was wondering if anyone can go cheaper then MMO tricks.
Gotta give it to EA, noone does dirty marketing tricks like them.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked