Pre-Order Bonuses

Pages PREV 1 2

I'm really tempted to pre-order Assassins Creed 3 for the novel EB Games is giving out with it. I also want to pre-order Darksiders 2 for the cool EB Games exclusive bonuses.

I would rather have 10% off for a preorder than something ingame. I have yet to find a single preorder bonus that didn't feel unnecessary.

If a game is coming out which I know Im gonna end up buying anyway, pre-ordering seems logical to ensure a copy on day of release. Any extra bonuses are just that; a bonus.

That being said, I am a bit put-out that Game never got any stock of the new SSX with the limited edition in-game bonuses... Now its a bit annoying that either I wont get that particular content, or I'll have to pay for the DLC of it. But hey, not the end of the world.

That reminds me, on Conduit 2's midnight release, apparently I was the only person who was there to pick it up.

And I seriously need to know about that Sengoku Basara pre-order too.

C'mon! I want more Sengoku Basara stuff!

My friend was able to find a posable Ieyasu figure. Is it like that?

Speaking of which, has anyone physically seen the Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes art book?

When I pre-order games almost all the time it's exclusively for the art books. Love those things

Karutomaru:
That reminds me, on Conduit 2's midnight release, apparently I was the only person who was there to pick it up.

Karutomaru:
And I seriously need to know about that Sengoku Basara pre-order too.

Karutomaru:
C'mon! I want more Sengoku Basara stuff!

Karutomaru:
My friend was able to find a posable Ieyasu figure. Is it like that?

Karutomaru:
Speaking of which, has anyone physically seen the Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes art book?

All of that could've easily looked like this:

Karutomaru:

Edit: And I seriously need to know about that Sengoku Basara pre-order too.
Edit: C'mon! I want more Sengoku Basara stuff!
Edit: My friend was able to find a posable Ieyasu figure. Is it like that?
Edit Speaking of which, has anyone physically seen the Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes art book?

Just sayin'

Yopaz:

Borderlands 2 got its fair share of rare items for those who pre-order.

Wait wait wait wait. There was a Borderlands 2?

DumpsterHumper:
Pre-ordering is useless.

Unless of course you are planning on buying the game day one and by pre-ordering you get extra free goodies.

Pre-order bonuses to me show that the publisher doesn't have alot of faith in the game, they want to encourage people to buy it before the reviews come out.

I'm actually inclined to agree.

I have mixed emotions regarding pre-order bonuses because while they're amazing if you get them, it's a bit of a kick in the teeth if you miss them due to unforeseen circumstances. :c

I quite like physical pre-order bonuses (like shirts or lanyards) because they're like a nice little gift from the games' creators to show that they appreciate your support and loyalty, plus I find that tangible objects mean more to me than pixellated ones.

The only digital pre-order bonus I ever got was the heavy's poker visor in TF2 for pre-ordering Poker Night at the Inventory.

I don't really care about pre-order bonuses since I don't pre-order shit for the most part. I do, however, think these bonuses shouldn't unbalance the game. They shouldn't be putting crazy powerful armor/guns/whatever in as a pre-order bonus. Some funny new skins, maybe a small ration of health pots and ammo, but that's it. New Vegas' preorder bonuses are an example of about as far as you can take it before you start unbalancing shit, IMO.

TestECull:
I don't really care about pre-order bonuses since I don't pre-order shit for the most part. I do, however, think these bonuses shouldn't unbalance the game. They shouldn't be putting crazy powerful armor/guns/whatever in as a pre-order bonus. Some funny new skins, maybe a small ration of health pots and ammo, but that's it. New Vegas' preorder bonuses are an example of about as far as you can take it before you start unbalancing shit, IMO.

I think even then it unbalanced the early game. I guess if you only had one pack or the other it wasn't bad, but if you have all of them it completely upsets the balance of the early game since you have at least one weapon more powerful than anything on your level and several armors fully repaired and superior to their regular variants. On the whole, though, I'd have to say the New Vegas style is great. Four different bonuses and an option to buy.

StarCecil:

TestECull:

I think even then it unbalanced the early game. I guess if you only had one pack or the other it wasn't bad, but if you have all of them it completely upsets the balance of the early game since you have at least one weapon more powerful than anything on your level and several armors fully repaired and superior to their regular variants. On the whole, though, I'd have to say the New Vegas style is great. Four different bonuses and an option to buy.

The pack I got didn't unbalance anything. The sturdy combat shotgun is all but useless as far as damage output goes, and the armor has a whopping 12DT. Barely enough to classify as armor.

As for having all four active at once, that's entirely your own doing by buying them.

TestECull:

StarCecil:

TestECull:

The pack I got didn't unbalance anything. The sturdy combat shotgun is all but useless as far as damage output goes, and the armor has a whopping 12DT. Barely enough to classify as armor.

As for having all four active at once, that's entirely your own doing by buying them.

Well, like I said, one pack doesn't have too much impact and is a really neat way to characterize the player. All four tends to tip it over, though, since you get to start with a shotgun, a 10mm pistol, a grenade rifle, a machete and a few throwing spears, all fully repaired with a decent portion of ammo. The armors themselves are actually somewhat superior to the other starting armors. It makes the early game markedly easier, even if you just sell it all. And that doesn't even mention the added stimpacks and repair kits.

To note, the sturdy caravan shotgun is considerably better than a standard caravan shotgun, and at an early level that's already significant since you're likely to only have access to single shotguns/9mm pistols/Laser pistols and other weapons that are really baseline (and subject to limited ammunition).

Granted, I did get all the packs and so unbalancing the early game does fall on me. My original point was that it feels a bit like bribing your way to the finish line or cheating. I think a more "low-key" approach would have worked better; something like giving you the items at reduced condition or keeping their stats comparable to their non-unique counterparts.

EDIT: Actually, 12 DT is better than even reinforced leather armor, fully repaired, which puts the lightweight leather armor well above the curve. It's lighter, stronger, and comes fully repaired. That's a bit better than anything else you'll have access to at the early portion of the game.

StarCecil:
All four tends to tip it over, though, since you get to start with a shotgun, a 10mm pistol, a grenade rifle, a machete and a few throwing spears, all fully repaired with a decent portion of ammo.

And none of them have more power than a bunny fart. The 10mil's sole gimmick is the looks anyway, it's not better enough than a normal 10mil to be worth carrying unless you just happen to want the reference to Fallout 1.

The armors themselves are actually somewhat superior to the other starting armors. It makes the early game markedly easier, even if you just sell it all. And that doesn't even mention the added stimpacks and repair kits.

LOOOOOOOOL no. Maybe slightly easier? Not markedly.

To note, the sturdy caravan shotgun is considerably better than a standard caravan shotgun

Bullshit. Both guns are absolutely useless. Neither hits for anything worth noting, the spread is atrocious, the magazine cap is pathetic, and did I mention the spread was atrocious?

Use the 9mm or the laser recharger pistol. Don't waste your time with the shotguns at all early game...hell, don't bother with them period. Even the 12 gauges are dubious at best, although it is endlessly entertaining to pepper Legionaries with their own salary. I usually carry a fully kitted out hunting shotgun just for cazadores, where the atrocious spread is useful in hitting the damned things, but I generally don't use them.

and at an early level that's already significant since you're likely to only have access to single shotguns/9mm pistols/Laser pistols and other weapons that are really baseline

And, excluding the hopelessly useless single shotgun, all are better. I honestly don't know why anyone bothers using 20 gauges.

(and subject to limited ammunition).

Nine times out of ten Chet will sell a laser recharger pistol from day 1. Buy that and you'll never want for ammo, by the time you grow out of tier 1 weapons you'll have an unlimited supply of the stuff. On top of that it's piss cheap, on average 7 caps, and with the Steam pre-order pack you can handily restore it to brand new shape right on the spot.

EDIT: Actually, 12 DT is better than even reinforced leather armor, fully repaired, which puts the lightweight leather armor well above the curve. It's lighter, stronger, and comes fully repaired. That's a bit better than anything else you'll have access to at the early portion of the game.

Not really. You still get owned in short order. The NPCs hit so hard that anything less than Remnant's Power Armor is of dubious use as far as safety goes. I don't even bother with armor, I tank damage with range instead, and go for aesthetics.

Rawne1980:
Wild speculation here so don't take it as gospel.

I'm guessing those that give a pre order bonus do so simply because they have a put a lot into it.

What better way to say "here is a game we poured our blood, sweat and tears into ... and 2 divorces due to crap overtime. In order for you to love it like we do we want to give you a little freebie to say thankyou".

They have a lot riding on the game so want to give an incentive for people to buy it.

The more pre orders they can get the better they know the income from that game.

I see it as a little thankyou for "adopting early" if you like. Little touches like an art book or sound track is a lot better than an in game item like those you get from certain games from pre ordering from certain stores.

An in game item is forgot about when you stop playing, a physical item can clutter a house up nicely.

Errr, well actually most pre-order bonuses do not come from the devs. They are actually purchused by the retailers. The store, whether it's a brick and mortar one like gamestop, or online like Amazon, want to make as much money as they can by selling as many copies as they can. They pay the developers/publishers to create extra content for a game, or little knicknacks like artbooks, T-shirts, etc... to give to people as an incentive to pre-order from them and actually come in and complete the purchuse of their copy. The idea being that if say Gamestop is giving you a T-shirt, your more likely to buy from them than Wal*Mart.

The situation gets confused when the arms race between retailers leads to everyone buying differant pre-order content, and then the consumer is frequently left at an impasse as to which place to order from, as thet weight the respective benefits of the various deals. Sometimes this misunderstand leads to backlash against the developers due to a lot of good content being created, and nobody being able to get it all.

In general special edition/collectors edition content comes from the devs, pre-order bonuses have been contracted by the retailer.

There are sometimes exceptions, there have been cases where a company has a pre-order bonuses that all retailers get so it can get the game out there, but that's something of an exception rather than the rule.

TestECull:
snip

Are we even talking about the same game?

ALL the pre-order items are superior to the ones in the game proper. The Weathered 10mm has two extra points of damage and is more durable by 151 rounds. It's also at full condition. Just like the sturdy caravan shotgun with it's 5 points of damage over the original variant and twice as much condition.

The recharger pistol, which will not be at anything close to full condition, does a measly 18 points of damage per shot with a notable wait time for it to fully recharge itself. It's also fully dependent on the energy weapons skill, and since the early game is pretty well stacked against energy weapons, and guns are in many ways considered to be the superior weapons choice...

Now, you did say you can repair to full or nearly full right out the gate with the mercenary pack, but that's sort of my point. Being able to do so throws the early game out of balance because I could do so with any gun. The Service Rifle given to me at the Mojave Outpost, for instance, becomes a very decent contender for a much longer period of time - easily until you get the Mark of Caesar, provided you go straight there along the road.

And upon further research, we were both wrong regarding the lightweight leather armor: it has a DT of 8 to the leather armor's DT of 6, at 5 pounds lighter. Lightweight metal armor, however, has a DT of 12, the same as regular metal armor at 10 pounds less and 400 more points of DT.

That still puts it well above just about anything you'll come across on the road from Goodsprings all the way to Novac. Further, even, if you play your cards right.

Now, the idea that the sturdy caravan shotgun is useless is just wrong. I literally just used it to decimate the powder gangers at Goodsprings, at level 2, and managed to come out with twenty or so extra shells for my trouble. I also wore the lightweight leather armor and their single shotguns could not beat the DT, though Cobb's SAA was able to.

And the overall strength of the armors is immaterial. The Remnants Power Armor is much stronger than the pre-order armors... which is why I referred specifically to the early game. Again, I don't know what game you're playing, man, but the armors you get from the pre-order packs are way better than anything else readily available to you coming out the gates and tilt the early levels (1-5, perhaps even up to 10 depending on playstyle and character build) way in your favor. Hell, the fact that you have free weapons, armor and ammunition obviates the need to buy anything from Chet or collect it off the dead, vastly increasing the amount of pure profit from the earliest part of the game.

putowtin:
I pre-order, have done for years.

Shame that GAME is going, it was good for pre-orders, they always seemed to get the pre-order bonuses, double reward points and the game was always on your door steps on the day of release.

:O DAMN IT! That reminds me... I have about 20 quid in GAME points...! When does it go? Hopefully after I get back from deployment!!

StarCecil:

TestECull:
snip

ALL the pre-order items are superior to the ones in the game proper. The Weathered 10mm has two extra points of damage and is more durable by 151 rounds.

Whoop-de. Two points. Stop the presses, we have the most badass pistol in the history of gaming!

I use the 9mm anyway. 10 mils are just...odd.

The recharger pistol, which will not be at anything close to full condition, does a measly 18 points of damage per shot with a notable wait time for it to fully recharge itself. It's also fully dependent on the energy weapons skill, and since the early game is pretty well stacked against energy weapons, and guns are in many ways considered to be the superior weapons choice...

1: The recharger pistol has saved my ass far far faaaaaaaaaaar more times than the SCS ever did.

2: ALL your skills are going to be rubbish at that point in the game.

The Service Rifle given to me at the Mojave Outpost, for instance, becomes a very decent contender for a much longer period of time - easily until you get the Mark of Caesar, provided you go straight there along the road.

I'd put in a 'useless' vote on the service rifle too. It's piss weak and not all that accurate. If you want a good way to fire off your 5.56 in the early game use the varmint rifle, it's at least accurate enough to get a good sneak crit headshot.

Now, the idea that the sturdy caravan shotgun is useless is just wrong. I literally just used it to decimate the powder gangers at Goodsprings, at level 2, and managed to come out with twenty or so extra shells for my trouble. I also wore the lightweight leather armor and their single shotguns could not beat the DT, though Cobb's SAA was able to.

Sorry, I like engaging at a range that doesn't show off the crazy low res textures Obsidian used. The ONLY way to get the shotguns to work in New Vegas is to get close enough to bash their skull in with the butt of the gun. At that range you're better off with a Ballistic Fist, which is fucking batshit crazy powerful, even with 0 unarmed skill.

Hell, the fact that you have free weapons, armor and ammunition obviates the need to buy anything from Chet or collect it off the dead, vastly increasing the amount of pure profit from the earliest part of the game.

And then you lose every cap in Vegas, or spend it all at Gun Runners/Contreras on ammo.

TestECull:

StarCecil:

TestECull:
snip

ALL the pre-order items are superior to the ones in the game proper. The Weathered 10mm has two extra points of damage and is more durable by 151 rounds.

Whoop-de. Two points. Stop the presses, we have the most badass pistol in the history of gaming!

I use the 9mm anyway. 10 mils are just...odd.

Wow, way to miss the point. You're original statement was that the 10mm Pistol wasn't more powerful than "a bunny fart". That's incorrect. The 10mm pistol has a damage of 22, and the Weathered 10mm pistol has a damage of 24. The 9mm pistol you recommend has a damage of 16. That puts the 10mm pistol as superior to the 9mm if damage alone is to be considered; and the Weathered 10mm Pistol comes with a free 50 rounds of ammunition - more 10mm rounds than you would normally be able to get at such an early level.

1: The recharger pistol has saved my ass far far faaaaaaaaaaar more times than the SCS ever did.

Indeed, the Sturdy Caravan Shotgun only ever sees use from me at the beginning of the game... which is precisely what I'm talking about. I can count on one finger the number of times the Sturdy Caravan Shotgun saved my life (probably a good thing that's not the subject of discussion).

And while your skills are going to be low at the early section of the game, one's accuracy with the Recharger Pistol requires energy weapons 50 for full use. The Sturdy Caravan Shotgun, Weathered 10mm Pistol, and the Mercenary's Grenade Rifle requires no skill in their respective categories.

I'd put in a 'useless' vote on the service rifle too. It's piss weak and not all that accurate. If you want a good way to fire off your 5.56 in the early game use the varmint rifle, it's at least accurate enough to get a good sneak crit headshot.

The Service Rifle is actually a pretty good rifle to use in the early portions of the game, sans Courier's Stash. It hits just as hard as the varmint rifle, yet is far more durable at almost 2000 rounds than the varmint rifle, at just under 600. It has a larger magazine size and comes in pretty decent condition. I also find it's just as if not more accurate than the varmint rifle.

Sorry, I like engaging at a range that doesn't show off the crazy low res textures Obsidian used. The ONLY way to get the shotguns to work in New Vegas is to get close enough to bash their skull in with the butt of the gun. At that range you're better off with a Ballistic Fist, which is fucking batshit crazy powerful, even with 0 unarmed skill.

Yes, the ballistic fist is a very powerful weapon. But you can only get it an advanced stage of the game, by which the Sturdy Caravan Shotgun will be hopelessly outclassed. In fact once I reach that point I carry a fully modded Hunting Shotgun. It packs more than enough punch and is pretty darn accurate, more so with slugs.

However, that's not my point. At the early stage of the game, the Sturdy Caravan Shotgun well outclasses other guns by damage and ammunition availability.

And then you lose every cap in Vegas, or spend it all at Gun Runners/Contreras on ammo.

I only ever gambled using NCR dollars. It's a good idea. At any rate, that's my point. Even if you just sell the gear, or if you use it in the place of the gear you would normally use, you increase your profit significantly and thus increase the ammo you can buy (or the hands of blackjack you can play) and thus put yourself in an increasingly better position in the game.

StarCecil:

Wow, way to miss the point. You're original statement was that the 10mm Pistol wasn't more powerful than "a bunny fart". That's incorrect. The 10mm pistol has a damage of 22, and the Weathered 10mm pistol has a damage of 24. The 9mm pistol you recommend has a damage of 16. That puts the 10mm pistol as superior to the 9mm if damage alone is to be considered; and the Weathered 10mm Pistol comes with a free 50 rounds of ammunition - more 10mm rounds than you would normally be able to get at such an early level.

And it's still no more powerful than a bunny fart. Neither is the Beretta, for that matter.

The only pistols in Vanilla worth using are the 1911s and the Hunting Revolvers, and even then they're really only a fallback when your rifles are empty/broken.

Indeed, the Sturdy Caravan Shotgun only ever sees use from me at the beginning of the game... which is precisely what I'm talking about. I can count on one finger the number of times the Sturdy Caravan Shotgun saved my life [/quote]

I've had every other weapon available to me at that point in the game be more useful than the SCS. It's just...awful. It only 'works' if you're close enough to see the jaggies of their eye, anything beyond ten feet and you get one or two pellets lightly tickling the target.

one's accuracy with the Recharger Pistol requires energy weapons 50 for full use.

If you're still using that thing with EW 50 you're doing something weird.

The Service Rifle is actually a pretty good rifle to use in the early portions of the game, sans Courier's Stash. It hits just as hard as the varmint rifle, yet is far more durable at almost 2000 rounds than the varmint rifle, at just under 600. It has a larger magazine size and comes in pretty decent condition. I also find it's just as if not more accurate than the varmint rifle.

I find it to be barely any more accurate than the shotguns. I can hit people in the face with a scoped varmint rifle out to the edge of the draw distance. I can barely hit people thirty feet away with the service rifle, the bullets go around them in a neat little cone of uselessness.

Yes, the ballistic fist is a very powerful weapon. But you can only get it an advanced stage of the game, by which the Sturdy Caravan Shotgun will be hopelessly outclassed.

I found one at level four once on one of my playthroughs. They do show up, especially if you decide to kill the legionairies in Nipton, as they usually drop at least two.

In fact once I reach that point I carry a fully modded Hunting Shotgun. It packs more than enough punch and is pretty darn accurate, more so with slugs.

This Machine and Hunting rifle are just better. Both hit harder, both fire faster, both have better range, both have FAR better accuracy, and neither takes anywhere near as long to fully reload.

However, that's not my point. At the early stage of the game, the Sturdy Caravan Shotgun well outclasses other guns by damage and ammunition availability.

Not really. It's next to useless, like every other shotgun in the game. The spread is so atrociously awful that you can't hit anything more than ten feet away with them. Slugs help, but not all that much, they're no match for a proper rifle of the .357, .45/70 Government, .308 or 50MG caliber.

I only ever gambled using NCR dollars. It's a good idea. At any rate, that's my point. Even if you just sell the gear, or if you use it in the place of the gear you would normally use, you increase your profit significantly and thus increase the ammo you can buy (or the hands of blackjack you can play) and thus put yourself in an increasingly better position in the game.

lolwut? Two hundred caps is about all you get. Two hundred caps isn't shit. 200 caps will barely feed This Machine for two quests, nevermind the bullethoses you seem to like.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked