strategy rpgs

I just finally got around to playing and finishing Jeanne D'Arc. I really enjoyed it and it has revived my interest in SRPGs. I actually have quite a few in my backlog and wondering what you would recommend I play next. You might suggest others but chances are I might have already played it. Also I have a huge backlog as it is without adding more games for the time being.

So here is the list:
Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
Final Fantasy Tactics War of the Lions (finished the ps1 original many years ago)
Eternal Poison
Kartia
Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together
Hoshigami
Valkyria Chronicles 2
Record of Agarest War
Disgaea 4

I really liked War of Lions. I'd suggest maybe doing a little research before you jump into it so you don't miss some of the better hidden characters like

Other than that, I'd suggest the other Final Fantasy Tactics games. The first one is damn near a masterpiece on the GBA, and FFA2 is an amazing sequel with a really nice cameo at the end if you've played the first one. Pro Tip for Tactics A2: Get the "Parivir" class as soon as possible. It's literally the biggest cheater class in the game, and easily the best for Hume. If you combine it with skills from Paladin, you're a cheaty cheater pants and you are my brother. Also, make any Mage Viera a Red Mage, Dual Cast is broken as all shit.

The Disgaea games were really fun as well. But I'd only recommend them if you really don't mind grinding in the Item World, which is something I REALLY couldn't wrap my head around. So I got stuck and just couldn't bring myself to keep going. But the humor is always amazing, especially with the first one.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a Nu Mou Time Mage/Black Mage to power level so I can beat this goddamn Cinquleur Clan.

Growlansers . I have never found anyone who knows that game , but it's really good . I just don' want to be the only one anymore.

That and you can never go wrong with final fantasy tactics . Now That is an awsome game.

krazykidd:
Growlansers . I have never found anyone who knows that game , but it's really good . I just don' want to be the only one anymore.

That and you can never go wrong with final fantasy tactics . Now That is an awsome game.

I played Growlanser 2 and enjoyed it. I also have Heritage of War that I need to get around to playing.

Mount and Blade, a real strategy game with real combat, much more fun then turn based jrpg shenanigans.

Ando85:

Oh Gods, I remember that game... that's on my "loved, but never finished... got too hardcore" list from back in high school.
All I can recommend for it is that you min-max the shit out of everyone (especially the two protagonists), and keep a backlog of saves between every encounter just in case it decides to hit you in the face with a fight you can't handle without doing something different six fights ago.

I went in expecting Ogre Battle, and wound up in over my head.

Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis (it's for Game Boy Advance) is a much easier game. If you're planning on playing that series, I recommend starting there.

Jagged alliance 2. The king of turn-based tactical RPGs
Temple of Elemental Evil also.

Imbechile:

Oh god, the combat in ToEE is just so good. Incredible tactical D&D combat. Recommendation seconded.

Pharsalus:
Mount and Blade, a real strategy game with real combat, much more fun then turn based jrpg shenanigans.

While I agree that Mount and Blade is a fine game, there's no need to bash someone else's preferences.

That said, I'm not really into the japanese games, it's not that I think they're poorly made or anything, I just have a hard time wrapping my head around them (style, plot, presentation, it's always something turning me off) in general...but I loved the old SRPG's I played in the old day and would love if anyone could recommend a western SRPG for PC.

As to the OP; I haven't played any of those games, but two games I still remember fondly is a REALLY old game called 'incubation' (though, if you can get it working on a new computer I'll envy you) and another, 'fallout tactics, which is way better then most gives it credit for.

Disgaea is in there, I also kind of liked Bahamut Lagoon.

You might want to check out some roguelikes - they have a similar sensibility. Dungeons of Dredmor, Brogue, and Shiren the Wanderer are pretty good ones if (like me haha) you're new to the genre.

Imbechile:

Have you tried Knights of the Chalice ? http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/

It uses d&d 3.5, has turn based combat, good AI.. Supposedly a really good game. I played the demo a little and it def seemed pretty cool. Graphically, it reminded me of D&D Warriors of the Eternal Sun. It's def on my 'to play' list.

Currently doing a Gold Box run myself. D&D video games and turn based combat was made for each other. Don't know why they ever decided to go the RtwP route for BG/IWD/PST games. The combat would of been better if they were strictly turn based.

Hopefully Wasteland 2 is gonna have some good TB combat.

Ando85:
So here is the list:
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
Final Fantasy Tactics War of the Lions (finished the ps1 original many years ago)
Eternal Poison
Kartia
Hoshigami
Valkyria Chronicles 2
Record of Agarest War
Disgaea 4

Next?
Disgaea 4

But don't miss out on most of the ones you listed. I consider Agarest War to be the hardest SRPG I've ever played - and I've played many.

Edit: Of course I have Agarest: Generations of War (the euro version of the game) which is the harder version (certain things were made easier in the NA release - like a trick to keep turn numbers down...)

And I recommend adding the SMT: Devil Survivor games to the list, if you haven't yet played them.

Imbechile:

I'll throw Silent Storm out there too, if you can find it. It doesn't have the personality of JA2 but it does have a proper 3D Engine and gloriously destructible environments. Download the no-Panzerkliens mod and the mod that fixes the skill progression and you are good to go.

Also Icewind Dale.

X-COM is an SRPG. That's if you actually care and not spam units hoping the aliens choke on the bodies.

Ando85:
I just finally got around to playing and finishing Jeanne D'Arc. I really enjoyed it and it has revived my interest in SRPGs.

Ah, yes, Jeanne D'Arc. Best SRPG I have ever played.

Disgaea was quite the disappointment after Jeanne D'Arc. Nothing else I've played has ever measured up.

Nevermind, ignore this post. I'll admit it, I was an idiot and originally didn't read the OP. But now that I did, I realize that my post was totally irrelevant, so yeah. Just ignore me.

s69-5:

Ando85:
So here is the list:
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
Eternal Poison
Kartia
Hoshigami
Valkyria Chronicles 2
Record of Agarest War
Disgaea 4

Next?
Disgaea 4

But don't miss out on most of the ones you listed. I consider Agarest War to be the hardest SRPG I've ever played - and I've played many.

Edit: Of course I have Agarest: Generations of War (the euro version of the game) which is the harder version (certain things were made easier in the NA release - like a trick to keep turn numbers down...)

And I recommend adding the SMT: Devil Survivor games to the list, if you haven't yet played them.

an Idea factory recommendation? i like you. Agarest war is a must, Idea factory in genera makes games that really test you and force you to learn new tricks or your gonna lose. i know it sounds stereotypical but its not. This is one of the few games that really does that.

Blazing Souls my friend. i played it back when it came out on the ps2 but i hear theres a seaside release on the Psp. Games amazing as well, get at it.

Oh Oh!! Spectral Souls, i hear the psp umd is horrible (imported the ps2 version here) But if you have an android i hear that version is pretty faithful to the original.

Oh oh!!! Spectral Forces 3.

Oh idea factory =) your truly the master of rpgs.

Bara_no_Hime:

Ando85:
I just finally got around to playing and finishing Jeanne D'Arc. I really enjoyed it and it has revived my interest in SRPGs.

Ah, yes, Jeanne D'Arc. Best SRPG I have ever played.

Disgaea was quite the disappointment after Jeanne D'Arc. Nothing else I've played has ever measured up.

Can't tell if being serious.

Jeanne D'Arc is okay - but nothing special. I played to completion. However, there's very little customization. Little deviation. Barely any extra content (or post game content). Little incentive for multiple playthroughs... And while decent, is not even in the same ballpark as Disgaea. Heck, it's not even the best original SRPG on PSP...

Legion IV:

Blazing Souls my friend. i played it back when it came out on the ps2 but i hear theres a seaside release on the Psp. Games amazing as well, get at it.

I've had my eye on Blazing Souls: Accelate for a while, but I could not seem to find anyone who's played it who could recommend it or not. It looks similar to Agarest, if I'm not mistaken.

How long is it? Any post game content? Replay value?

If you can find a port of the original Shining Force, play that. It ate a healthy chunk of my childhood.

Wouldn't most of the Total War games count as strategy RPGs? and maybe Mount and Blade

Play Fire Emblem. DO IT NOW. It doesn't matter which you play. JUST DO IT NOW!!!!

On a completely unrelated note: Does anyone else refresh the captcha until you get a non-advertisement one to type in?

P.S. PLAY FIRE EMBLEM NOW!!!

krazykidd:

Good series. It always bugged me that the guy behind the art is actually a well known hentai artist. >>

OT:
Disgaea 1/2/skip 3/4

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - It's better than the original

Eternal Poison

Valkyria Chronicles 1

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - It's what FFT cloned itself from. ;P

Soul Nomad - GREAT game, very underrated

Fallout Tactics - I GUESS it counts

I'm sure I'm missing a lot, but, whatever.

Tanis:

Disgaea 1/2/skip 3/4

Yeah Disgaea 1 had the best story/characters, but to ignore 3 & 4 - pshaw!

There are many new features, especially in 4, that add even more to the already large game. Pirating, create a map, online challenges, "buldings" to place on the war map which add more customization, the class world (since 3)...

I don't recommend skipping 3 & 4. If you've never played a Disgaea and will only play one - obviously Disgaea 1 is the best choice. Disgaea 4 though, should be the second choice. And Valvatorez is much more likeable than Mao.

I mean, SKIP 3.

D1/2/4 are the best games in the series.

You could even watch the anime for Disgaea 1 and skip it that way - if you're low on time.

Anthraxus:

Imbechile:

Have you tried Knights of the Chalice ? http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/

It uses d&d 3.5, has turn based combat, good AI.. Supposedly a really good game. I played the demo a little and it def seemed pretty cool. Graphically, it reminded me of D&D Warriors of the Eternal Sun. It's def on my 'to play' list.

Currently doing a Gold Box run myself. D&D video games and turn based combat was made for each other. Don't know why they ever decided to go the RtwP route for BG/IWD/PST games. The combat would of been better if they were strictly turn based.

Hopefully Wasteland 2 is gonna have some good TB combat.

Since Gold Box is on my to-do list can you tell me if there are any gold box games that are not good or mediocre. From which game to start? Pool of Radiance or?

s69-5:

I've had my eye on Blazing Souls: Accelate for a while, but I could not seem to find anyone who's played it who could recommend it or not. It looks similar to Agarest, if I'm not mistaken.

How long is it? Any post game content? Replay value?

Games is amazing. if you liked Agarest you should like this. I honestly like the Series more then Disgaea because i enjoy IF's design philosophies over Nis's.

Like incredibly hard and long Jrpgs? shits at its best right here. Multiple endings, as per usual for IF, secret characters, an immense amount of depth. The Jp voice acting is spot on and amazing as well, Masayuki Kato truly is Zelos, am not sure if the localized version has the jp voices, something you should check i guess.

The games a masterpeice, and the gameplay and multiple endings and the always fucking hard to get true ending will keep you playing for multiple playthroughs, that and the secret characters, never ending replay value. even has great and challenging post game.

Unless you just use a walkthrough... if so. For shame!!!!! You gotta earn that true ending. lol

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked