Which game reviewers opinions do you trust.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

And by that I don't mean blindly follow but rather feel are right more often than not. I ask this because I find that there aren't really any game reviewers who have the same set of "values as I do. Or to put it another way, none of them agree with me on opinions concerning games. At least not most of the time.

I really don't trust any of them by themselves. The only persons opinion I trust fully is myself. I will generally read several reviews, and also the opinions of friends who own a game and even then, I may still have a different opinion before I play it.

I find most of the staff at G4 and most of the staff here at The Escapist to be quite reliable. If I do decide to actually base a purchase on reviews alone, however, I'll always go back and forth between several sources as opposed to just one even if the aforementioned sites are where I usually start.

PCPowerplay are usually good. They are one of the few reviewers that actually marked Call of Duty down because it's the same stuff over and over. They do get obsessed with some games though.

The ones without numerical scores.

Zero punctuation oh nvm, I don't go by reviewers. Yahtzee is a critic.

I've found Jim Sterling (destructoid) and Susan Arendt (escapist) to both be consistently correct.

It's interesting, but when John Funk was still writing reviews for the Escapist, I consistently had the exact opposite opinion, so I would often buy and enjoy games he disliked and ignore games he liked. Worked like a charm.

Other than that, I have a high regard of what Jim Sterling says about a game, doesn't matter if I agree with his final opinion or not.

I tend to trust the guys at Destructoid (Jim Sterling in particular), Mark Bussler (the guy who does Classic Game Room) and the UK magazine Games Master.

GundamSentinel:
It's interesting, but when John Funk was still writing reviews for the Escapist, I consistently had the exact opposite opinion, so I would often buy and enjoy games he disliked and ignore games he liked. Worked like a charm.

Other than that, I have a high regard of what Jim Sterling says about a game, doesn't matter if I agree with his final opinion or not.

So long as his reviews were helpful, eh?

OT: None really. For me, Yahtzee is a comedian, and everyone else I trust about equally (which is "moderately"). I'll rely on my friends' recommendations over critics'.

Yahtzee is the one I most often find myself agreeing with in hindsight, but I wouldn't "trust" him to shape my decision, cause he missed some of my opinions so wide he scored at the other game.

TotalBiscuit and Giant Bomb are the guys I'll actually listen to, but purchases are always cross referenced with gameplay footage.
And if Yahtzee finds something he likes that is always worth looking up.

Now the Escapist guys do their job well enough and do write solid articles but impartiality is not something I see, on the whole it's more like fan reviews.

I go by the gaming public's reaction 1 year after the game is out.

I mean you can't trust them for times like Skyrim's launch but if you ask a year or 2 later you get a good review of the game from the thread.

Angry Joe seems to usually have a similar opinion of games as I do, and he usually lays out all the pros and cons of each game extremely well and goes into pretty god detail.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AngryJoeShow

None of them. I look at a few, piece together weather I want to risk shelling out for it/wait for it to be on sale on steam etc. And then make the call.

Individually though I don't trust any of them. If they amuse me though I am more inclinded to watch/read their entire review though. Which is why I like critics more than reviewers.

I don't "trust" them in a sense but I pay attention in order to get the view point of someone other than myself.

But I've never let a review score determine whether or not I buy a game. I've usually decided long before the release date if I'm gonna get it or not.

I tend not to listen to reviews much but I found Jim Sterling and total biscuit to usaully mirror my views.

I actually trust Adam Sesler and G4 written reviews for the most part and the escapist reviews as well

I don't trust the opinions of any reviewers or critics, simply because my taste tends to differ greatly from theirs.

I only really watch/read them as a source of entertainment, or to see how their opinions match up to mine.

Zhukov:
I've found Jim Sterling (destructoid) and Susan Arendt (escapist) to both be consistently correct.

This. Altough "correct" is not really the right word. I find them the most honest and the review text tends to perfectly back up the score, like a good review should.

I also really like rock paper shotguns reviews.

Yahtzee and, ironically, Movie Bob. They always seem to agree with me.

My own.
I find myself to be quite a good fellow indeed! Handsome too!

Yahtzee. If I'm not sure I add here thoughts of Jim Sterling and GiantBomb guys. If all 3 sources agree that game is fun, it's 90% likely it's actually fun.

Gamecritics. Well- written and quite trustworthy reviews. Check them out... They are pretty obscure as far as I know, but since I like the site a lot won't pass up the chance to advertise them.

http://www.gamecritics.com/

And do you want to hear something amazing? They use the whole scale of 1-10 with scores, meaning 8 is not an average! I know, shocking.

I like to see Yahtzee's opinions on games, not because I necessarily agree with him all the time but because, since he takes it upon himself to look for the flaws in a game, he makes me much more aware of any real issues the game might have than most traditional reviewers. Jim Sterling seems incredibly fair too. Overall though, like a lot of people, I read a variety of professional and user reviews and take it from there. I find it hard to respect most professional reviews though. If 7-8 is considered average, something's not quite right imo.

Metacritic! Ok, I know not funny.
I trust AngryJoe a lot of the time, he's kinda like Yahtzee but he does take some games seriously.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AngryJoeShow

I trust myself, and no one else.

Game reviewers are often idiots, and my friends often have terrible taste (ie: recommending Fallout 3, Skyrim, etc.).

Jared @ Screwattack, he knows his shit and doesn't let hype affect his decision

I've found the guys at Forbes to be at least consistent and honest with their reviews. They understand that it's simply their opinion and explain how they came to that conclusion. Pretty straightforward and honest, I like.

I'm usually in agreement with Ars Technica, though that was when Ben Kuchera was the gaming editor. Now there's a new guy, but I dunno much about him.

If you look at game reviews as right or wrong then you are doing it wrong. A game review is at the end of the day one person's opinion and they cannot be right or wrong. You can agree with it or disagree with it all you like, but one is not more correct than the other.
I tend to listen to what Jim Sterling has to say. After that, it goes down hill. I mostly pay attention to him because so many people get so upset at his scores and I have yet to read a review of his where I didn't find evidence he provided that backed up the score. Of course, I don't buy that many games and the ones I do buy are generally years late and I have a fairly good idea of whether I'll like them or not or when I won't care if the money was wasted on something I didn't like.

Angry Joe, Jim Sterling and Yahtzee.

I don't really "trust" any of 'em, but Yahtzee is the closest I'll ever come to trusting because he's the only one I can be reasonably sure isn't being paid off.

None, all of them, mostly Yahtzee. I look at what they have to say and the points they bring up. If I decide I can live with them or I like them then it's a good game, if it's not then it's not.

I always make sure to do my own research when buying a game, but i only really listen to two reviewers, and one of them isn't technically a reviewer per say.

I only listen to Yahtzee, and TotalBiscuit.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked