Warhammer Fantasy players, be loud, be proud!

Having seen the odd Warhammer 40,000 (or babyhammer as Iv'e heard it reffered too) thread crop up around here from time to time, I thought I would see how many Warhammer fantasy player were lurking, bemoaning yet another cataclysmic magic failure in private.

So, who around this site plays, and If so what army and why? Bonus points if you want to elaborate why you prefer it to more futuristic wargaming, or it's sister game.

Well...since Warhammer players evidently are not loud, I'll throw my two cents in. :)

I've played all kinds of nerdy habits (D&D, Magic, Pokemon, etc.) but never got into Warhammer or any of those "little figures you paint and then have army battles with" games. I've always wanted to but it's a very steep entry fee to get into (though I have been told that once you've actually built your army, you can run the same basic army for decades without having to do a big reinvestment again).

In the end, it's all about the money (or lack thereof).

Honestly, the 40k players tend to pop up on here more often because there's flat out more of them here... and because Relic, but, you know.

I used to do Lord of the Rings Strategy battle game, so kinda like Warhammer.

But then...it got too expensive, and I grew up and got a social life.

endtherapture:

Same. The thing about Warhammer as compared to D&D is that SO much time is invested in the modeling/painting/designing armies section, as opposed to actually playing. I might consider getting back into it, but I know it'll just end with me blowing a couple hundred dollars on paints, brushes, models, etc., then a week later seeing that my army isn't half done, and giving up.

Thunderous Cacophony:

endtherapture:

Same. The thing about Warhammer as compared to D&D is that SO much time is invested in the modeling/painting/designing armies section, as opposed to actually playing. I might consider getting back into it, but I know it'll just end with me blowing a couple hundred dollars on paints, brushes, models, etc., then a week later seeing that my army isn't half done, and giving up.

I actually really enjoyed the painting and modelling side of it, it's just that I had no one to play with so I felt like I was wasting my money on nothing

I have the fortune to be near a gaming store so go me. And it's not that expensive so long as you don't buy new, my bretonian army has so far cost less than many a disappointing new game (I'm looking at you brink) and its at the standard game size thanks to ebay and the like.

My tip to keep costs down is, for the love of god, write an army list first.

Gromril:

And then test it out in a proxy battle.

I got a 2000pt Empire army for free (prize draw)... and I still haven't assembled it! Why? Dark Elves is why...

I'm a former player since I have so little time (& money... paint is 2.50 per pot?! FUCK OFF!! I remember the days when they cost less than a quid!) to get stuff. Also, I'm more of a 40K player, because that's what I got into first. Though damn, am I jealous of the Golden Daemon entrants...

endtherapture:

Thunderous Cacophony:

endtherapture:

I actually really enjoyed the painting and modelling side of it, it's just that I had no one to play with so I felt like I was wasting my money on nothing

Too bad you didn't have anyone to play with, but at least you could enjoy the modeling. I have lousy hand-eye co-ordination, so it took a long time to paint each one, and even when I finished they looked terrible. I played a couple of games, but having to steal models from whoever else had something that could be interpreted as "model I didn't finish" got old soon.

Gromril:
I have the fortune to be near a gaming store so go me. And it's not that expensive so long as you don't buy new, my bretonian army has so far cost less than many a disappointing new game (I'm looking at you brink) and its at the standard game size thanks to ebay and the like.

Alright, stupid question time!

Any good sources for this kind of information that you have? I would love to get into one of these types of games but would have absolutely no clue where to start.

I was able to start Magic (which COULD become expensive if you don't know what you're doing) because I had a friend who played so he could tell me all these weird ass rules and standards and whatnot but I don't have that source for Warhammer...

Also, Brink was terribly disappointing :( So much potential...

Been collecting/painting/battling with Warhammer and 40k armies for years.

I'll tell you how old my first Warhammer army is .... Nagash is in it, he got scrubbed out completely years ago.

Thats right folks. My undead army dates back to before the Vampire Lords and Tomb Kings you all know now.

Aside from that army (which is absolutely massive but alas can no longer be used due to the changes in rules and it containing characters no longer viable) I have a huge Dwarf army.

Rawne1980:
Been collecting/painting/battling with Warhammer and 40k armies for years.

I'll tell you how old my first Warhammer army is .... Nagash is in it, he got scrubbed out completely years ago.

Thats right folks. My undead army dates back to before the Vampire Lords and Tomb Kings you all know now.

Aside from that army (which is absolutely massive but alas can no longer be used due to the changes in rules and it containing characters no longer viable) I have a huge Dwarf army.

You could still use it, just use nagash as a necromancer or something

I used to love building and painting the models. But I never so much as finished a game. Way too much fannying around.

That goes for both fantasy and 40k.

I do however love the DOW series. They're the games that got me into RTS'.

I play 40k, but I like Tomb Kings.

But since this goes for both fantasy and 40k

WWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!

IS THAT LOUD ENOUGH?

Well, it'll be a few years (or this bank heist I've been working on going off without a hitch, don't tell anyone pl0x) before I'll be able to afford it. It's a ridiculously expensive hobby, but it's damn fun.

Fear the wrath of the Old Ones, warm-blooded weaklings! The Great Plan will unfold!

(Loud words from a fat frog on a hover-chair, but still...)

Starke:
Honestly, the 40k players tend to pop up on here more often because there's flat out more of them here... and because Relic, but, you know.

Correct. I perfer the whole cyber-gothic feel of 40k, and the computer games aren't too bad either

OP why don't you make a user group for Warhammer Fantasy players?

tippy2k2:

Gromril:

Alright, stupid question time!

Any good sources for this kind of information that you have? I would love to get into one of these types of games but would have absolutely no clue where to start.

I was able to start Magic (which COULD become expensive if you don't know what you're doing) because I had a friend who played so he could tell me all these weird ass rules and standards and whatnot but I don't have that source for Warhammer...

Also, Brink was terribly disappointing :( So much potential...

if you would like to get into it, you can use the games-workshop store finder http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/storelocator/search.jsp to find either an official or independent retailer near you. as for the miniatures, im fairly certain ebay has a whole category dedicated to it now. the guys are all over.

but if the paint job is shit, a good hour or so in some windex can take most paints right off! don't do it too long though, or the base will start coming off too.

as for various rules and tactics and purchasing suggestions, go to a hobby center. the guys there will probably be more than willing to give you pointers and explain the rules for your first few games, and continue to provide rules clarification for basically every game after.

if it is an official hobby center.... just ask fellow players for purchasing tips, because i can imagine the guys who work there will, quite reasonably, try to get you to buy new kits, whether or not they are the best idea for your army at the time.

Quazimofo:

tippy2k2:

Gromril:
snip

snip

if you would like to get into it, you can use the games-workshop store finder http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/storelocator/search.jsp to find either an official or independent retailer near you. as for the miniatures, im fairly certain ebay has a whole category dedicated to it now. the guys are all over.

but if the paint job is shit, a good hour or so in some windex can take most paints right off! don't do it too long though, or the base will start coming off too.

as for various rules and tactics and purchasing suggestions, go to a hobby center. the guys there will probably be more than willing to give you pointers and explain the rules for your first few games, and continue to provide rules clarification for basically every game after.

if it is an official hobby center.... just ask fellow players for purchasing tips, because i can imagine the guys who work there will, quite reasonably, try to get you to buy new kits, whether or not they are the best idea for your army at the time.

Oooh, that is useful, thanks! :)

I've been to the place nearest to me but the owner didn't know much about the game. I'll have to check out some of these other places and see if I can find someone to show me how to play a new hobby that will suck away my dwindling money amount. It would also be nice for finding someone else to play with too since if I lone wolfed this, I'd have no one to play with...then it'd just be me at home playing with my dolls miniatures.

Thunderous Cacophony:

endtherapture:

I always used to enjoy the army building/painting/modelling side of things more than the actual game by quite a long way. I think I used to play it as an excuse to by lots of stuff to paint ^^.
As for the money side, yeah it's ridiculously steep, that's the main reason I quit. I occasionally scratch build models based on the lore though. Scratch built stuff = free!

I like fantasy. The models are just as nice as the 40k ones and the lore for some of the armies is awesome. The vampire counts book from a couple of years ago is very cool indeed.
I'm a complete sucker for games workshop in general really, whenever I lose interest I end up seeing some new releases or the Golden Demon winners and start wanting to buy stuff again.

tippy2k2:

Quazimofo:

tippy2k2:

snip

Snip

Oooh, that is useful, thanks! :)

I've been to the place nearest to me but the owner didn't know much about the game. I'll have to check out some of these other places and see if I can find someone to show me how to play a new hobby that will suck away my dwindling money amount. It would also be nice for finding someone else to play with too since if I lone wolfed this, I'd have no one to play with...then it'd just be me at home playing with my dolls miniatures.

just call 'em toys, because we all know thats what they are, unassembled, unpainted, toys. and hot damn is it fun to play with them

I play 40K, Fantasy and Lord of the Rings. But, since only one of those is relevant to this thread...

I played Orcs and Goblins for a while, but I've recently started collecting again, this time going for Chaos Warriors. What could be more cool than evil-empowered Northmen marching to bring you doom? And, for added bonus points in the long-lost canon category, they're themed and painted as followers of the best Chaos God, Malal.

I've never played it, but I'm extremely interested. A little specialty shop around here hosts Warhammer 40k, DnD, Axis & Allies, and MtG(along with many, many other TCGs) nights, and I've always found them interesting.

Just the thought of creating and getting to design and paint my own army has me giddy. But, I don't know anyone around here that would be remotely interested, so I'll never get to try it out.

It's really a hobby for nerds with ridiculous amounts of time, money, and math skills.

I never got into the tabletop game. Don't know anyone that plays and the time/money effort involved in starting up is a turn off for me. That being said, I love the lore and video games. Reading through the Horus Heresy atm. The only multiplayer game I enjoy is Space Marine. Of course that's the 40k stuff.

I do read the Gotrek and Felix books too, those are entertaining. I played the Warhammer MMO when it came out too.

Also, BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here