5 Game Endings that are worse than Mass Effect 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

rcs619:
Yes, but I'm talking about the canon one. If it were a silly alternate-timeline ending like some of the others, that'd be a different story.

I never bothered looking into which one was the 'canon ending'.

If you know the history of the game, it's kind of a shame how screwed they got with infighting and such.

woodaba:
2. HALF-LIFE 2

YES YES YES

5. FALLOUT 3

MORE YES

My contribution? Far Cry 2.

loljks I didn't even make it through enough of the game to be disappointed by the ending, but from what I've heard it was even worse than the rest of the game. Which was terrible.

There is a serious lack of Condemned 2 in your top 5. That game's plot and ending were just beyond fucking terrible, especially in light of the first game's perfection.

Assassin's Creed Revelations.

because the whole game was touted on the promise that all these overarching questions about what the fucks happening to the world, how the fuck you're supposed to stop it, and what the fuck the assassin's actually are, were actually going to be answered; but instead all we got was another bloody God Monologue that explained next to nothing, and which shockingly revealed that *dun dun duuuuuuuuun* The World Is About To End!

I've known that since 2009 thanks! Now would you mind telling me what I'm supposed to do about it?

Then Desmond wakes up and says "I no what I need to do", which is really fucking fortunate seem as I still have no idea!

There are many things I love about the AC games, but Goddammit Ubisoft you can only string me along so far.

Tanis:

rcs619:
Yes, but I'm talking about the canon one. If it were a silly alternate-timeline ending like some of the others, that'd be a different story.

I never bothered looking into which one was the 'canon ending'.

If you know the history of the game, it's kind of a shame how screwed they got with infighting and such.

Well, only reason I thought it was, is because there's a big, animated cut-scene in the Final Fantasy Chronicles version of Chrono Trigger. Serves as a big epilogue showing all the characters after the main game. At the very end, they add in a part that confirms the link Chrono Cross set up.

Don't know much about the history, or in-fighting though. It came out before I had internet or paid attention to gaming news and such. The final third or so of the game did feel a little...off compared to the rest, so some kind of development issues wouldn't really surprise me.

Zen Toombs:
Male entitlement ho!
wow that article is seeing a lot of play.

Pretty much everything in that article can be applied the other way. That's actually one of the most disappointing Cracked articles I've ever read. As if women don't expect society owes them a man?

Wait what does the article actually have to do with "entitlement"

13-2 should get special mention because the main guy is told about an hour before the end that if he does something, bad shit will happen. Then when he does exactly that, you can choose not to do it but then someone does it for you, he seems surprised by his lack of victory, and might as well say "der what happened!?"

that aside, I will say that the bad end for agarest war zero, which I hold up as the finest example of how not to make games, is the worst I have ever seen by far. You see the good ending requires that certain things happen at certain times and all the characters liking you enough at certain points, the problem is that the game never indicates what you need to do and the only real practical way to see the good end is to follow one of the perfect path guides on the web. if you don't do that the game ends about 6 hours early with the main heroine exploding (I'm not joking) and the hero dying. what we then see is the remaining characters throw a hissy fit that would only be less subtle if one of them pointed to the screen and said " you bastard! you didn't meet the arbitrary requirements you where never given and now he is dead! If you had made that girl you met in the first town love you more he would have lived!

Marcus Kehoe:

Lunar Templar:

Marcus Kehoe:

Don't know SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI: DIGITAL DEVIL SAGA

SMT DDS was actually pretty good, right up untill the ending >.>, i beat it a while ago but still remember sitting there going 'what .... the fuck just happened'. it was actually kinda confusing before the ending, that whole last section is was kinda sitting there with a 'kay .....' look on my face

To be fair, it was Japan who made it.

Japan made lots of games, a lot of which didn't leave me with a 'wtf' at the end XD

ravenshrike:

Woodsey:
And as it will be brought up a million times (and in relation to my above point): Human Revolution has a good ending. It suits the narrative and themes on multiple levels, whereas doing what most players seemed to want from the ending wouldn't. It's only real flaw is in the presentation, not in its purpose or intention or what it supposedly 'lacks'.

Well no, it was crap. But it had to be crap because any major choices would have invalidated the events of the first Deus Ex. What they should have done was reboot the series entirely. This would have allowed them much more latitude.

Not at all.

The choices matter, the repercussions (or lack thereof) don't. That's what the game wants you to think and talk about: your choice. Showing the repercussions of any of the final choices serves only to scratch the instant gratification switch that most people seem to be plagued by. Its forcing you to consider your ideological position after a 30+ hour debate, showing the aftermath of that would only detract from the focus.

It is irrelevant.

You do realize that Digital Devil Saga is Part 1 of Two, right? Technically speaking, they're one long game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Megami_Tensei:_Digital_Devil_Saga_2

One of the best RPGS ever made, even better than the first one. You are welcome.

Fallout 3? Are you goddamned kidding me?
Imagine Fallout 3 as more than a mindless action game.
It's like a 3 act tragity.
In act 1, you are kicked out from safety, and forced to adapt or die at light speed.
In act 2, you find your father, and he dies.
In act 3, you run away, recollect your strength, and finish the primary goal of the game.
You do have choice in fallout 3, now they are just "Good" and "Bad" choices, but that should be your goal all along, to finish what your dad started. You're not supposed to be some selfish war-monger (But the game is nice enough to let you follow this path, or any path), you are a kid who was kicked out of his home, looking for his dad like a 3 year old in an uber crowded mall or something. (Except all of the mall's inhabitants want to kill him)

Shadow of the Colossus made me sad...

ME3 was very interesting...SPOILER I chose Synthesis. Joker and EDI at the end made me Smile. So I'm ok with it.

havent played the OP's 5, but i wanna say that i hate Seinfeld's Series Finale. Weirdest and Lamest TV series ending ever! xD hahaha

It may be a testament to Valve's craft that the end of the original Half Life 2 had me mad at G-Man... but not at Valve.

Rage's ending was only so bad because I didn't even see it coming.

"I'm not even on the third disc yet, this is awesome so far, now I'm finally starting to fight the Authority!"

*VROOM-ENDING*

"...Wait, what? That's the ending?"

I felt like I'd been cheated out of the second half of the game. I understand it's for a possible sequel, which I'd totally buy, but really? I got smacked in the face with something that wasn't even hinted at being close.

Deus Ex: HR
You don't even get a cutscene, just Christian Bale narrating a moldy epilogue. All 3 choices feel the same in outcome, except maybe the mass suicide option.

WAIT.

GUYS.

I JUST REALIZED.

THE G-MAN IS THE CATALYST.

THE COMBINE'S RULERS ARE THE REAPERS, WHO CAME INTO THE GALAXY ONCE GORDON DEFEATED THE COMBINE.

And The Catalyst also takes the liberty of choosing your final actions.

MY GOD...

MASTACHIEFPWN:
In act 1, you are kicked out from safety, and forced to adapt or die at light speed.
In act 3, you run away, recollect your strength, and finish the primary goal of the game.
You do have choice in fallout 3, now they are just "Good" and "Bad" choices, but that should be your goal all along, to finish what your dad started. You're not supposed to be some selfish war-monger (But the game is nice enough to let you follow this path, or any path), you are a kid who was kicked out of his home, looking for his dad like a 3 year old in an uber crowded mall or something. (Except all of the mall's inhabitants want to kill him)

Except for the radiation suits scattered around, the rad x, the rad away, the, I don't know, companion (Fawkes) who very recently before made it very, very clear that he was 100% immune to radiation, and lets not forget that other companion you can get who is a ghoul, plus the other reasons others have pointed out that I can't remember at the moment, it has been a while, all of these make the final choice unbelievably stupid and could have been easily fixed with a little more thought from the devs in order to make it a true tragic ending

No mention of Mirror's Edge yet? Man was it's story was awful beginning to end. It had more potential than this, and the game kinda just ends there. Some climactic moments (when you weren't cursing at how bad platforming and freerunning can be from first-person) and then a non-climactic ending. There are so many plotholes and dangling ideas (that were never expanded on or resolved) in the game that I don't know how it can bloody stand!

Ok I'm done.

Furioso:

MASTACHIEFPWN:

Except for the radiation suits scattered around, the rad x, the rad away, the, I don't know, companion (Fawkes) who very recently before made it very, very clear that he was 100% immune to radiation, and lets not forget that other companion you can get who is a ghoul, plus the other reasons others have pointed out that I can't remember at the moment, it has been a while, all of these make the final choice unbelievably stupid and could have been easily fixed with a little more thought from the devs in order to make it a true tragic ending

And it still ain't got nothin on how terribad the ME3 ending is.

Furioso:

MASTACHIEFPWN:

True, but Fawkes does give you a poorly drawn reason. And even still, if you let the brotherhood chick go in, it can be implied that the chamber exploaded, and you would have died anyway. But why should the select few who happen to have companion A or companion B get to have a free ticket for infinant play? Doesn't seem to justified to me.

Did all of you guys forgot about how bad both endings were in the 2008 Alone in the Dark game?
And those 5 shitty endings in Silent Hill:homecoming(none of them were all that good or satisfying)?

EDIT:Halo 2 nuff said

Dragon Age 2 had a terrible ending. Bioware is just apparently bad at endings now. Enslaved had a pretty bad ending, with a giant "it was all a misunderstanding, really" feel to it, and you look back on the millions of dead and fail to find any pity for the largely unknown but painted as evil throughout organization.

Fappy:
How about the end to every Zelda game ever? Link does all this shit to save Zelda and she doesn't even have the class to give him a courtesy hand job.

Depends on the game. Tetra would totally be all over that, but I doubt she'd stop there. Saria and Illia were more the interest than Zelda when they show up, and Midna...well, you can use your imagination on that one. Or hit up DeviantArt. Though, the ones where it's chiefly Zelda, and she hardly says three words to you? Yeah, that's a load.

him over there:
Halo 2, time to finish the fight! ALL right time for the last Mission! Boss Fight! Something! And right then and there the credits roll.

I knew I wasn't the only person who remembered Halo 2's ending. That being said, Halo 3 had a pretty shitty ending too. There was one Prophet, one Flood-Infected Prophet and, The Gravemind. So, which one is your final boss? None of them. Which one of them is a boss in general? None of them.

I kind of liked the ending of Fallout 3...well, the good ending. If you send in Wos-her-name Lions it doesn't make sense that you can't go back out into the wasteland.

Dragon Age 2 should have ended after the ousting of The Arishok and, Quarian...I think that's the species name...the third act seemed completely unnecessary.

Fappy:
How about the end to every Zelda game ever? Link does all this shit to save Zelda and she doesn't even have the class to give him a courtesy hand job.

The same could be said for the Mario games...but something weird is going on in the Mushroom Kingdom considering Mario inviting DK and Bowser to his parties and, sports-outings.

MASTACHIEFPWN:

Furioso:

MASTACHIEFPWN:

True, but Fawkes does give you a poorly drawn reason. And even still, if you let the brotherhood chick go in, it can be implied that the chamber exploaded, and you would have died anyway. But why should the select few who happen to have companion A or companion B get to have a free ticket for infinant play? Doesn't seem to justified to me.

That would be where the mentioned rad suits, rad x, and rad away come in, and if they weren't there, and you didn't have the companions, that would be a far better excuse for the noble end, and I would much rather have a "best ending" scenario where you can continue on in the world only if you had those characters than one just bullet riddled with plot holes, the whole thing was just very poorly designed

You forgot to compare Fallout 3 to LotR. I would offer this analogy: "For no reason, Frodo's only options for destroying the Ring are to jump into the lava with the Ring in hand, or give it to Sam and push him in."

Furioso:

MASTACHIEFPWN:

Furioso:

That would be where the mentioned rad suits, rad x, and rad away come in, and if they weren't there, and you didn't have the companions, that would be a far better excuse for the noble end, and I would much rather have a "best ending" scenario where you can continue on in the world only if you had those characters than one just bullet riddled with plot holes, the whole thing was just very poorly designed

Yeah, but the Rad X and Rad Suits don't solve everything. There are certain areas where the pockets of radation will kill you no matter what. Now, you do have a reasonable argument seeing as how that Enclave general saved himself after the system was overloaded in the chamber. I personally thought the ending fit well with how the game went along, though.

MASTACHIEFPWN:

Furioso:

MASTACHIEFPWN:

Yeah, but the Rad X and Rad Suits don't solve everything. There are certain areas where the pockets of radation will kill you no matter what. Now, you do have a reasonable argument seeing as how that Enclave general saved himself after the system was overloaded in the chamber. I personally thought the ending fit well with how the game went along, though.

I also thought a self sacrificial ending would be good, I just wish they had handled it better, maybe a self contained explosion preceded by your companion getting separated from you somehow or something, that solves the surviving radiation problem and the companion issue

MiloP:
Gears of War 2's ending sucked worse as well.

GW2 was probably the crappiest ending that I had ever seen, All you did was hang out in the chopper and shoot shit. Woohoo, so hard. There wasn't even a BOSS!

Furioso:

MASTACHIEFPWN:

Furioso:

I also thought a self sacrificial ending would be good, I just wish they had handled it better, maybe a self contained explosion preceded by your companion getting separated from you somehow or something, that solves the surviving radiation problem and the companion issue

Yeah, that would have been intelligent, and simply have another on-board explosion after the system is set to make sure you don't live, and Rad-x can't save you. So yes, you are right, they could have handled that better. I just guess it was a bit of lazy programming.

Fawxy:

endtherapture:
Neverwinter Nights 2 ending is pretty bad.

Cave collapses on party. You all die.

Holy fuck, really? I had my vote all set for Borderlands, but that looks like it takes the cake.

Thanks for saving me the 100+ hours I would've eventually put into that game. Huh.

To be fair however it was a cliffhanger, there is a direct sequel involving the same hero from that gamed called "Mask Of The Betrayer" which is actually considered one of the better RPGs in recent memory... ie it was continued in the expansion pack.

I also say Asura's Wrath had a shit ending. Granted it wasn't some epic trilogy but the "true ending" exists solely for DLC. No debate about it Capcom is selling the "actual true ending" as DLC. They put it in the video for the DLC they are selling the true ending. So add that in with FF13-2 and ME3 for that BS.

I don't really have my own list to contribute, but something's bugging me.

I'll assume I'm not the only one who's noticed how game endings have drastically declined in quality over the past five years, particularly. We've gone from developers who take the time to craft a complete story with a good start, middle point and end, to developers who rush things so the beginning and middle point are somewhat up to par, and who then shrug and figure they'll get away with hawking the ending - or parts of it - off as DLC.

That honestly bothers me.

"Oh, sure, our AAA game is on sale for fifty-five bucks on Steam. Thing is, you'll have to pay us twelve extra smackers to actually get a decent epilogue. You alright with that, sonny-jim?"

No, actually. I'm not. This is one of the reasons why the whole Mass Effect 3 thing gets on my nerves, as I could see something along those general lines coming from a mile away. A decent ending? What decent ending? It's so much easier to hold simple things like closure and basic quality hostage and to stick a price tag on them! Voilą, instant 75$ game, if not 80 or 90$, once every piece of DLC is accounted for.

Not that it's compulsory, of course. You're entirely free to sit there with what's provided to you. I don't need publishers baiting the angry masses, I'd just like it if I could talk to a friend of mine and not hear a grunt of disappointment because His Company's Future Project just determined its DLC brackets and more or less hacked off a pretty important chunk of the endgame*.

*Long story short, a friend of mine is an animator. NDAs and all, I've been asked not to say where he works and what project he's working on.

Ah, yes. Digital Devil Saga. How could I have forgotten that ending. At the moment, I don't see it as horrible as ME3, but then again, the ME3 ending is still recent and raw.

I just remember DDS being a big "...uh, the hell?" moment.

Oh and FFXIII-2. Good mention there. Had Mass Effect 3 not distracted me, I would have been upset with that ending still.

Das Boot:
I think you forgot to mention the literal cliffhanger ending of God of War 2.

I actually thought God of War 2's ending was pretty clever and amusing. All I could think was, "a literal cliffhanger? Heh, that's pretty funnny."

I was expecting to have finished at least one and be able to argue about it. All I can really say is that I feel retconned endings or games that deemphasize the main quest line should be excluded from the discussion.

I've easily played 100 hours of Morrowind and over 50 of Skyrim without finishing either game's main quest chain. If you do complete the main chain in either Elder Scrolls game, the game doesn't end. There are follow up things available to do, plus expansions (in Morrowind; Skyrim will presumably get them later) with big, scary monsters meant to be fought by high level characters.

The retconned endings are, well, retconned. They aren't the ending anymore, at least not the canon ending. Bioware could potentially save some face with heavy retconning, but rather than treading on thin ice, they've fallen into the water; I don't like the odds here.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked