Best female characters

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Trip from Enslaved and Nariko from Heavenly Sword. While Ninja Theory may not have nailed down cameras or controls, they have nailed down how to make a competent female lead with an actual personality, growth as a character, and development alongside their companions. Good luck getting something like that out of Team Ninja.

I'll also toss in votes for Morrigan, Aveline, Tali, and Liara. Very well developed characters on Bioware's end, each finding their way as capable, driven characters that get an appropriate amount of love from the fans.

CentralScrtnzr:
Let me just echo that Kreia is probably my favorite character from all video-game media in general. It's a crime the game was so rushed that the ending was completely botched; Star Wars narratives are usually complete rubbish--childish stories of good versus evil; KotOR II was surprisingly sophisticated.

More to the point, and with spoilers upcoming for those who actually might play this now rather old property:

One of the best moments in videogaming can be witnessed back at the Jedi Temple on Dantooine, should the protagonist have chosen to save the remaining Jedi Masters. The way Kreia dresses down (and then smites) the masters is probably the best moment of the Star Wars intellectual property.

For those of you who don't give a shit about spoilers, check out the following video:
part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BBfADTmIvI
part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IUHYmgb2xE&feature=channel

What, no love for Viconia? Tsk.

Or, on a different note, Etna&Flonne?

I would have to say Cortana, from Halo. Or at least Cortana in Halo: CE, before Bungie gave her huge boobs, and made her a damsel in distress at the end of Halo 2.

And of course Alyx Vance, but someone already brought her up.

Kahunaburger:

That said, games with objectification issues (sup, Witcher) can also have strong characters of both genders

I actually liked the female characters in the Witcher games. Granted, being a monogamist myself, Geralt stayed loyal to Triss the entire time, which may have influenced how I perceived the characters. Sure the game objectifies them a bit, but at least they can kick your ass. I'm honestly more irritated when games throw women in just to they can be rescued by the big burly men.

One of my favorite moments in the original Witcher is when one of the bad guys tells Geralt they captured Triss. After fighting him you meet Triss later and she explains they tried to capture her and she kicked their ass.

Add that to the fact she's a well developed character with actual emotions and views (though she was kind of whiny in Witcher 2), and I'll go and nominate Triss Merigold as a good character.

well since April, Zoe and Jade all have had a mention, I'll go ahead and say Cate Archer. She isn't as grounded as the other three but she is smart, funny and competent.

Krantos:

Kahunaburger:

That said, games with objectification issues (sup, Witcher) can also have strong characters of both genders

I actually liked the female characters in the Witcher games. Granted, being a monogamist myself, Geralt stayed loyal to Triss the entire time, which may have influenced how I perceived the characters. Sure the game objectifies them a bit, but at least they can kick your ass. I'm honestly more irritated when games throw women in just to they can be rescued by the big burly men.

One of my favorite moments in the original Witcher is when one of the bad guys tells Geralt they captured Triss. After fighting him you meet Triss later and she explains they tried to capture her and she kicked their ass.

Add that to the fact she's a well developed character with actual emotions and views (though she was kind of whiny in Witcher 2), and I'll go and nominate Triss Merigold as a good character.

I agree. That's why stuff like the way the sex scenes are shot and Saskia's cleavage-plate annoys me so much - the Witcher series actually has very above-average characters of both genders.

Triss Merigold seconded. Perfect example of how to make a character sympathetic and an ambiguous agent in the story at the same time.

The women of Chrono Trigger are greater than them all, and the greatest of those is Lucca.

Nah, seriously, there are loads of great characters, and I hope we will have more of them. I want there to come a time when this question doesn't even get asked, because a good well-written female character isn't an oddity.

Lucca is pretty fantastic though. Scientist, inventor, fire mage, sharp shooter and steadfast friend... her intelligence and compassion are a driving force in one of the greatest games of its time.

I think Bioware does a fantastic job of creating well-rounded characters of both genders, and I really do appreciate their inclusion of older female characters who are not meant to be judged according to sex appeal (Wynne in DA:O, Dr Chakwas in the ME games). Not that there's anything wrong with older women or whatever, but you know what I mean- seeing female characters who are over 30 AND who you give a shit about is awesome.

I'd also go ahead and throw in pretty much every major female character in Mass Effect (with the possible exception of Miranda :P ): Tali, Samara, Jack (minus the... questionable choice of top in ME2, though at least she didn't have a massive rack to go with it), Liara, Aria, all awesome. I particularly appreciate the fact that there is huge variation in personality. Y'know, something other than "the girl."

Alyx Vance and Rosella and Valanice from King's Quest and uh...

That's it. All the rest are terrible.

I think I ought to just mention the girls of "Katawa Shoujo" and leave it at that.

The Boss from MGS3 is one of the best and few examples fully real female character is gaming. And she is one of the best characters in gaming history. You could say she was the heart and soul of MGS3

Terra from Final Fantasy 3/6.

I liked how the story with her was about love but not falling IN love but more about finding out about love in general. Turing into a pink super saiyan of ass kicking didn't hurt either.

ultramarine486:

I liked how the story with her was about love but not falling IN love but more about finding out about love in general. Turing into a pink super saiyan of ass kicking didn't hurt either.

FF6 is all about Terra and Celes. Their stories are the central thread of the whole game. I love them both very much. Celes kicks just as much ass as Terra too, although it's unfortunate she can't turn pink and fly.

Gonna have to go with the original female ass kicker here

ms_sunlight:

ultramarine486:

FF6 is all about Terra and Celes. Their stories are the central thread of the whole game. I love them both very much. Celes kicks just as much ass as Terra too, although it's unfortunate she can't turn pink and fly.

On that note Rosa might have a place here since once she got done getting kidnapped she was a invaluable member of the party. Plus her relationship with Cecil wasn't the same kind of 'meet for the first time fall in love' crap that became standard with later FFs.

Also I'd like to add Emir "Emma" Kalmsky from Front Mission 3 and Elsa Eliane from Front Mission 4. Both main characters of the game and in the case of Elsa didn't even need a male lead to fall in love with to justify her existence.

Terra and Celes are good examples of avoiding the whole "getting kidnapped and having the hero save her" shebang. And I thought Fang in XIII was pretty rocking as well.

Chloe Frazer in Uncharted always struck me as being a strong character, I prefered her to Elena for the most part. She was realistic and sassy.

Morrigan from DA:O (Claudia Black again, hmm) wasn't necessarily a nice person, but she was a brilliant character.

Most of Mass Effect's ladies are good too, though in some cases the design is a little bit... Well, let's just say "Miranda's butt shots" and leave it at that. Aria T'Loak was great. And if you play a female Shepard, she's a real badass - soldier first, a woman second.

Viconia form Fallout NV? I liked her a lot not sure if that makes her a good character or not. I think she was funny had a good back story and had one of the more useful perks. The one thing I will say is wow she can not have a good ending. I was trying to get the best ending possible for Fallout NV and she dose not have an ending that didn't make me go well that sucks.

ForgottenPr0digy:
The Boss from MGS3 is one of the best and few examples fully real female character is gaming. And she is one of the best characters in gaming history. You could say she was the heart and soul of MGS3

She was pretty pitch perfect in terms of visual design, character, and voice acting.

She really felt like a character that was beyond gender. Sounds lame, I know, but she was just that good.

And also Chloe Frazer from Uncharted 2. She was hot and spicy, but still a good character with some dignity.

Sara Kerrigan and Nova from Starcraft would deserve an honorable mention at least. Maby not the most rounded of characters but they will get an even bigger share in the upcomming Hearth of the swarm.

[edit] I almost forgot GLaDOS! does she count? I think she counts

Heather from Silent Hill 3 is pretty much my favorite one. She behaves like a real, albeit sorta messed-up, teenage girl, and despite all the weird Silent Hill stuff happening to her, she remains relatable and sympathetic.

I also like Alyx Vance, but everybody else has said their reasons why she is good :V

I give props to Blizzard for 1 single character, Queen Azshara. Love that woman. I personally love her personality and that way she is characterized.

I am also a big fan of FemShep, because Jennifer Hale is amazing at what she does.

I love Tallis, and was kind of disappointed that she's barely in DA2. Female Hawke and Shepard are epic.

RJ 17:

Tragedy's Rebellion:

Fappy:

I second this. Kreia's the most interesting female in Star Wars imo.

She's the most interesting character in Star Wars in general :p

Yeah, I gotta say that Kreia is a damn good character. She's portrayed how a true Sith Lord is meant to be. Plucking and pulling the strings from the background while leaving everyone to wonder if she's truly wise or truly evil.

And just a note on KotOR II in general: I love the way the character development in that game works. The more dark-sided choices you make, the more your entire crew begins to become dark-sided. Same with making light-sided choices. You can elevate your crew to be bastions of justice, peace, and generosity, or you can drag them down to the depths of seething hate and anger. I thought it was really neat how your actions quite literally affect those around you.

Agreeing with all of the above!

also on my list:
Tali Zorah Vas Normandy and Jack

The women in Uncharted. Elena and Cloe.
Someone above already mentioned the women from the Ninja Theory games.
Fae from Mirrors edge.
When you play saints row 2 as a female you get a real, badass psycho babe (playing as a granny doubles the fun).

No mention of Elisif the fair from Skyrim?
She was an amazingly strong female character, I thought. A young woman, barely entering adulthood, loses the person she loves most to Ulfric Stormcloak and is now forced to carry a huge burden over her shoulders and try to manage the war.
So while young and inexperienced and broken hearted she still accepts her reponsibility with cold determination for the good of her people, meeting her was what made me realize completely that I had to side with the Empire.

Also here Ashley Williams from Mass Effect. While it has been an admittedly bumpy ride and I can't really blame anyone who decided they weren't interested in her over the course of that, I developed a real fondness for the character. Enough that I stayed faithful to her through the whole thing and when I saw her romance scene in Mass Effect 3 I was genuienly moved.
She's strong, sexy, sassy and compassionate while also being humanly flawed, she feels very much like a real person in this respect.
It just saddens me to know that she and Shepard will never get the life together that one can argue after all the shit that has happened to them, they deserve.
(also totes getting that action figure of her when it comes out)

Also Cortana, again witty and clever and brave and also complex in having to deal with a short lifespan and a dwindling grip on mental stablility. She was a great addition to the Halo series because of that, I thought.

Etna from Disgaia.

Half the time she just about steals the show with her antics and plots the other half of the the time she DOES steal the show when you go to the Dark Assembly and vote her up to the main character.

I hear Fem-Shep's a bad ass, or can be, and then there's the obvious choice of Alyx Vance. And the chick from X-Blades olololololololol

ForgottenPr0digy:

Hell yeah.
Almost ashamed it took until Page 2 to mention her.

I'd also like to throw in the party members from Persona 3 & 4.

Oh, and

from Tekken 6.

DeliciousTruffle:
Heather from Silent Hill 3 is pretty much my favorite one. She behaves like a real, albeit sorta messed-up, teenage girl, and despite all the weird Silent Hill stuff happening to her, she remains relatable and sympathetic.

I also like Alyx Vance, but everybody else has said their reasons why she is good :V

I was wondering how no one could have mentioned Heather yet! Heather is by far my favourite game character hands down. She's smart, snarky, determined, courageous and completely unsexualised (for the most part).

Morrigan from Dragon Age: Origins, she was awesome.

Alyx Vance from Half-Life 2 and Elena from the Uncharted series really stick out to me when it comes to female characters. Lovable, and without having to show their stuff or having unrealistic proportions.
Love 'em. <3

Morrigan, FemShep (either morality route), Samus Aran (Other M did not happen), Triss Merrigold, Phillipa Einhart, Cortana, Sarah Kerrigan, Nova, Nariko, Bastila Shan, Miranda Lawson (personality wise), Liara T'soni.

At least, from all the games I've played so far.

Zhukov:
Aveline Vallen

Fixed it for you. I too agree that she was a well designed and developed character.

Also I want to add Kasumi Goto to that list. She's probably one of the most interesting human females in the ME universe.

EDIT: Also, (how could I forget?) Sarah Kerrigan. Cant wait for Heart of the Swarm.

Eleanor Lamb from Bioshock 2, hasn't been mentioned yet but i think they did a very good job of creating her as a person, not a 'woman' as if it were somehow different

Also Deadra from Zeno Clash was a very likable/believable female character, despite many of the other characters in the game being exceedingly odd at the least

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked