New Playstation to lock out used games?

So I just read on another gaming website (not sure if Im allowed to post links here) that the new Sony console will lockout used games, can anyone confirm this for real? I know Microsoft dismissed similar claims about their upcoming console, but to have Sony jump on the wagon is a bit of a shock. It is also rumored to have NO backwards compaitbility. So what does this mean if your console breaks or gets stolen? Or will it be a cloud kinda thing, because having a stack of unplayable games is pretty much a nightmare.

Just hoping its only rumors for now, still cant believe developers and publishers managed to sway this so hard it actually comes to fruition, would appreciate anyone else's insight on the situation..

I think what is coming to light is their very own digital distribution model, which obviously wouldn't allow any second hand sales (just like Steam).
As for backwards compatibility, well do you see it anywhere now?
What the hell makes you think they would include it when people just buy shit in any state it comes, then they are open to port old games and sell them again... ultra profit!

I think they would almost be writing Nintendo's ad campaigns themselves "Wii do what Sony don't!" It also might make it harder to find retailers willing to sell it when it could be taken as a direct attack on their business model.

Wasn't this same rumor started for the next Microsoft console? And how convenient that neither sighted their sources.

Doubtful. Why would they? Blu-ray is a success, and Microsoft (probably) isn't going back to DVDs. Meaning Microsoft has 3 choices for the Xbox(insert):

1. Cave in to Blu-ray. It's not gunna happen, because if it did, Sony would essentially make money off each Xbox game sold in the format.

2. Make a new format. Also unlikely, since that would cost a shit ton along with the production of the new console.

3. Go digital distribution.. This is what is rumoured, and is very possible.

Microsoft finds themselves in a tough position right now. DVD's are becoming unable to hold to required amount of space for games, and as games get more advanced, they'll need more GB's. If Microsoft does go digital, they'll likely be sporting HDD's at 320-500GB's each. The biggest risk of going digital is the potential loss of consumers. We've already seen the outrage caused by the rumour alone, it'll be interesting to see how the cries translate into sales.

Forlong:
Wasn't this same rumor started for the next Microsoft console? And how convenient that neither sighted their sources.

It was. It was also pretty much the same rumor for the PS3 way back when.

Hasn't this rumor been going around for about two years now? There's no reason to believe that any of it is true just yet because doing something like that is too incredibly stupid for Sony to put in place.

That would directly be an attack on business' standard business model and would be shut down. You don't see furniture businesses getting in an uproar because people resell their stuff and don't get a profit. Sony isn't special and gets to decide that people aren't allowed to sell their games if they didn't like it.

Ok, here goes. Before Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo do any official announcements on their future consoles or their features, I would take any rumor, especially ones with dubious or non-existent sources, with a large grain of salt.

Always took *insert that news site we all know is responsible for that rumor* news with a decent grain of salt ...
And I'll stick to it here just as well ... While I do believe a project-10-dollar setup might be viable and even en lieu with Sony's plans, I wouldn't count on it yet, as long as the others are still competitive on the console market.

And, seriously, captcha ... "i see"? ... you have to be kidding me.

crono738:

Forlong:

It was. It was also pretty much the same rumor for the PS3 way back when.

Actually it's the exact same rumor that was going around for the PS3. The console would register the disc and then that disc could never be used in any other machine. Only thing missing from the 2004 rumor is the thing about PSN cause that hadn't been fully developed yet.

There is no new PS3. There is no new XBox. There is a new Wii confirmed, though, and a new PC upgrade comes out every other month. Look into those two instead, because anything else is a completely baseless rumour.

It's also here on this site.

Rumors that have been done before. Ignore it. None of what you hear, and all that.

Sony isn't quite THAT stupid, IMO; To make a system that you couldn't play used games on, (and combined with no BC) would be just asking people to ignore your system.
Such a large part of gaming business is, (in my personal experience, mind you, so this could be a little biased) the used games area. GameStop, EBgames, Reset, Next Level, all these stores based almost entirely on selling new and USED games.
And not only would you be alienating the businesses that make use of used game sales, but you'd also be completely removing from your customers the poorer gamers. Not everyone can afford to pay $65 for each and every game, some of us can only play games bought used because that's all we have the money for; to remove that group from your customers would just encourage them to switch to other gaming systems that didn't have your ridiculous DRM insecurities.

Admittedly I don't get the point of a digital distribution model for a console. At least, I don't see why it would be a better investment than just buying a PC.

You ARE allowed to post links here, don't worry about that. I think it's actually encouraged, as it backs up your arguments. Just don't expect the link to do ALL the talking for you, as that counts as a low-content post. And THOSE are heavily frowned upon!

On topic, if download-only consoles become the norm, that's basically Game Over for retail game shops. Such a scenario would do the industry far more harm than good.

Besides, that PSP Go was pretty much a total bust. I really don't think the people at Sony would try anything else like that for AT LEAST another console generation!

busterkeatonrules:
Besides, that PSP Go was pretty much a total bust. I really don't think the people at Sony would try anything else like that for AT LEAST another console generation!

As someone who has been a Sony fanboy, I can say that they are retarded enough to try funny moves.

They crammed the PS3 with features that are beside the point of the console. They won't attract Wii-owners, and PS3 owners who want motion controls either bought a Wii or are not into it.

The PSP Go! was a platform meant for "technologically intellectual" people. Same audience that would be smart enough to realize that the PSP Go! is a waste.

just a rumor right now dood, remain clam until we have something solid to go on

As much as the game developers would like this, I can't figure out what the incentive would be for a console to do this. If one Microsoft/Sony console does this, the other has to immediately claim that they will never do such a thing and talk about how much they respect their customers, thereby demolishing their competitors. Are game companies really going to have any pull in this decision? What are they going to do, not make games if the consoles allow used? "That'll show them! To protest our inability to make a little extra money off consumers, we won't sell any games at all on their console!"

Remember the rumor that the Nintendo "Dolphin" would have a Serial RS-232 that would plug right into our anuses and we could play games with the power of our dreams?

That was a good one, that.

Ah well, at least the Wii U looks promising (to me, anyway).

Skopintsev:
Doubtful. Why would they? Blu-ray is a success, and Microsoft (probably) isn't going back to DVDs. Meaning Microsoft has 3 choices for the Xbox(insert):

1. Cave in to Blu-ray. It's not gunna happen, because if it did, Sony would essentially make money off each Xbox game sold in the format.

2. Make a new format. Also unlikely, since that would cost a shit ton along with the production of the new console.

It's not that expensive. Nintendo have created their own propriety 25GB disc for the WiiU, and they don't have anywhere near the amount of moolah that Microsoft does.

3. Go digital distribution.. This is what is rumoured, and is very possible.

Nah. Steam may have taken off for PC gamers, but your average console gamer still doesn't have the internet connection necessary to download 20GB plus of game data for every purchase. If Microsoft went download only, they'd have to spend a good couple of years waiting for the world's internet infrastructure to catch up.

I'm going with propriety disc. It's not that expensive to come up with a new disc format. After all, Microsoft only need it to hold the bloody games. It only gets stupidly expensive when you try and market that disc format as the successor to DVDs, and sink millions upon millions trying to get brand recognition out there.

console makers dont care about the feelings of "used game buyers" they dont make any money from you so tough titty if theres no used gsmes allowed..It doesnt hurt THEM to lose you as a fan. Buy new or dont buy...if you love gaming you'll cave before them. I say goid on them. The spend 50 mill on a game they deserve the profits.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with them doing this so long as they are up front about it. As long as it is known that the PS4 will only allow new games then I see nothing wrong with it, since there are other options. Then again it could just be because I'm a PC gamer for the most part and used sales don't exist there.

Juk3n:
console makers dont care about the feelings of "used game buyers" they dont make any money from you so tough titty if theres no used gsmes allowed..It doesnt hurt THEM to lose you as a fan. Buy new or dont buy...if you love gaming you'll cave before them. I say goid on them. The spend 50 mill on a game they deserve the profits.

You do realize that console manufacturers make money off of anyone who buys anything that goes through their network (DLC, indie games, etc.), right? They don't really care how a customer got the game, as long as they're buying stuff on the online store and using their hardware. Also, depending on how far into the cycle we are at the time a system is bought, they can make money on sales of the consoles themselves, too. You sell less systems if cheap used games are off the table -- for evidence, I give you the once proud and common gaming PC. Basically, you're getting the whining of the publishers confused with the system manufacturers; they don't make a profit in the same way. This is, of course, without getting into why the ones we should be telling to stop QQing are the publishers, not the customers whose legal rights the publishers are trying to do away with.

OT: I really hope these rumors are false. But if it turns out that used games die with this generation, barring a significant price drop that won't happen, this will be the last generation of consoles, at least from the current crop of manufacturers. It'll be 1983 all over again.

Saw it on an IGN news update.

Photo looks too shopped to be real.

Early April fools joke, me thinks.

Yeah, after reading more about the fiaco with the new xbox rumor, I guess this is nothing to get too excited about. Still worrying, in every sense of the word, what the gaming industry would be like if any measure of discouraging used games get through. Fom what I read in the news, the only company so far who have implemented anything like this is the online passes, and removing parts of the game such as some multiplayer, or even chapters from the single player (like id have done with Rage).

Ill go ahead and post one of the links here, http://kotaku.com/5896996/the-next-playstation-is-called-orbis-sources-say-here-are-the-details
But i guess people here have more sense than follow foolish news, which is all this is really. Although kotaku say its from a "reliable source", every other site dismisses it s mere hearsay. So I'll just keep my shirt on until some real news comes out. Sorry for the red alert guys =S

At least if some good discussion comes out it won't have been completely fruitless. Speaking of which, depending on the timeframe of the new console's launch, I can probably bet that a new format would be out of question, and this would most likely involve some sort of online authentication.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked